Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Doomsday already took place when the Baltic states joined NATO, putting western military influence directly next to St Petersburg and in reasonable easy distance of Moscow as well. It has been 17 or so years but the plot to destroy Russia will begin shortly.

What a fool Putin is to put his troops down in Ukraine, the death blow will come from Estonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Putting it that way isn't very reassuring that more than one viewpoint is permitted in this thread, so I'll bow out. Thanks for the warning anyway.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

Putting it that way isn't very reassuring that more than one viewpoint is permitted in this thread, so I'll bow out. Thanks for the warning anyway.

Your viewpoint is that Putin is justified in the overt military actions he's already taken as well as THREATENING military action to overthrow a sovereign government because "NATO"? correct? Despite the fact that as terrible as the US is, there hasn't been a plan to invade and overthrow Russia via any sort of NATO action....ever?

How is this a viewpoint? You are basically saying "How dare reality not align with my personal views"? When did NATO present a threat to Russia anytime recently? What justifies this ratcheting of aggressive military action? Did Biden or Trump suddenly threaten to use NATO as a tool to overthrow Putin that I missed?

Considering Trump did more to actually weaken any sort of NATO resolve, how is Putin even considering a threat worth invading a country over?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 20, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

This is such a stunningly idealistic and naive view that I wonder if you've ever heard of realpolitk before

That’s just a Russian MoFA talking point, nearly verbatim.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Thats just a Russian MoFA talking point, nearly verbatim.

wow that one went right over my head too, lmao

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Your viewpoint is that Putin is justified in the overt military actions he's already taken as well as THREATENING military action to overthrow a sovereign government because "NATO"? correct? Despite the fact that as terrible as the US is, there hasn't been a plan to invade and overthrow Russia via any sort of NATO action....ever?

How is this a viewpoint? You are basically saying "How dare reality not align with my personal views"?

You made it clear that I was treading on thin ice and might invite moderation soon if I made my argument, so I'll decline the opportunity to further pursue it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

You made it clear that I was treading on thin ice and might invite moderation soon if I made my argument, so I'll decline the opportunity to further pursue it.

Dude, your argument was on thin ice as a premises in the first place. I'm debating with you I'm not going to mash buttons when debating with you.

But you need to explain why your argument has any merit, since at this point its nearly all counterfactual.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

This whole crisis began over talk of EU relations anyway, not NATO. Talking about it from any other place than that for Russian motivations is ignoring reality as well.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Jesus loving Christ, how ghoulish can somebody be.

Yes, they are totally the same thing. When Russia invades a country with its military to either entrench a dictatorial regime, or to install a new cadre of brutal tyrants or outright mafia style gangsters to rule over territory it takes by lethal force, it's the same thing as when people replace a dictator (especially one who tried to deal with protests by shooting live ammunition into people) with an elected government that reflects their interests.

There's few better indicators that you are dealing with a cynical bootlicker than when they start throwing around "color revolutions". There has never been a popular movement these freaks wouldn't like to see crushed and brutalized under the steel toed boots of fash strongmen.

It's absolutely sickening this is the sort of discourse we have to put up with in here in the name of "discussion"

I don't support Russian aggression but the color revolutions absolutely were provoked by western intelligence services. They absolutely had terrible leaders and that terribleness made them weak and vulnerable. But don't think for a second that the west had any intentions other than opening markets. So if a despot gets removed and replaced with a fascist 'democracy' but the markets are open and ripe? Victory.

Problem here is you're treating the great game like goodies vs baddies when it's actually just a giant game between monsters. Stop being a child and thinking there's a good side to support.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grape posted:

This whole crisis began over talk of EU relations anyway, not NATO. Talking about it from any other place than that for Russian motivations is ignoring reality as well.

True, very true.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't support Russian aggression but the color revolutions absolutely were provoked by western intelligence services. They absolutely had terrible leaders and that terribleness made them weak and vulnerable. But don't think for a second that the west had any intentions other than opening markets. So if a despot gets removed and replaced with a fascist 'democracy' but the markets are open and ripe? Victory.

Problem here is you're treating the great game like goodies vs baddies when it's actually just a giant game between monsters. Stop being a child and thinking there's a good side to support.

Cool, but now you are pretending that every nation that might not want to fall under the sphere of influence of Putin is just a western puppet and that none of them are capable of any sort of self-determination, and that's already a pretty bad take.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

What evidence do you have of western intelligence provocation and support? Am curious to see your sources

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

QuoProQuid posted:

just to be clear, Russia’s specific demands to de-escalate are: https://mid.ru/ru/foreign_policy/rso/nato/1790803/?lang=en

* No foreign troops or weaponry East of Germany
* No short-range or intermediate range missiles within NATO’s territory;
* A permanent end to NATO’s “open door policy”
* No military activity or cooperation “in the Eastern Europe, in the South Caucasus and in Central Asia.”
* Ukraine formally and explicitly barred from ever being a NATO member

in addition to making a mockery of self-determination, i don’t see how any of that suggests good faith on behalf of the russian federation

Can we go deeper into why this aren't acceptable demands? The third bullet points makes a ton of sense and I don't see that one changing any time soon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Can we go deeper into why this aren't acceptable demands? The third bullet points makes a ton of sense and I don't see that one changing any time soon.

Sure, if you can first explain why neither of involved countries deserve to be sovereign.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For one thing because Poland is a NATO member and it would preclude Poland being allowed to participate in NATO membership.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

Literally every color revolution happened in a market economy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

would you let someone threatening to burn your house down send you a list of demands including:

- none of your friends can go beyond your neighborhood
- you're not allowed to decide what weapons to defend yourself with
- you can't have friends and family anymore unless we agree to it too
- you can't go on vacation to europe, mexico, or the caribbean anymore
- you are permanently banned from marrying into a family

and if you do not agree to all of these demands, they'll burn your house down and annex your backyard into theirs

because thats the personal analogy to what is happening between two countries

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

Sinteres, in the timeline you jumped from, did Neville chamberlain avert WW2 through appeasing Hitler and securing a lasting peace in their time?

Modern historians are actually a lot more sympathetic towards Chamberlain's appeasement, viewing it as having bought essential time for the UK and the rest of Europe to fortify prior to the war.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

I find it interesting that this thread recently mirrors the dynamic of the Israel/Palestine thread (years back) where you'd get pretty measured discussion, punctuated by a revolving door of random shills popping in periodically to regurgitate the same tired Hasbara talking points.

For less meta commentary:
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1484168444635398146?t=5ikqNSrabg-jf_iBrAhgLA&s=19

Is Russia a European ally?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

FishBulbia posted:

Is Russia a European ally?

No. It's a stupid question along the lines of the same people who whine about westerners criticizing Israel but not the Palestinians.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Modern historians are actually a lot more sympathetic towards Chamberlain's appeasement, viewing it as having bought essential time for the UK and the rest of Europe to fortify prior to the war.

Imagine being worse at appeasement than Chamberlain because sinteres is doing this out of genuine belief rather than strategic necessity

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Flavahbeast posted:

Biden actually did say that just last night:

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1483916889986420739

Personally I'd be all for a permanent block on Ukraine joining NATO if it meant good faith dealings between Russia and Ukraine, I just think it's very likely they would not - it's not like Ukraine was looking to join NATO in 2014 before the annexation of Crimea and war in Donbass

There is already a pretty permanent block on Ukraine joining. Putin knows this, even though Washington has been hesitant to say it. He wants control over Kyiv though, not just neutrality.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Grape posted:

No. It's a stupid question along the lines of the same people who whine about westerners criticizing Israel but not the Palestinians.

Okay just checking.

Love the "you criticize when your government does something, but not when another government which doesn't involve you in any way does something, curious" takes

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

HonorableTB posted:

would you let someone threatening to burn your house down send you a list of demands including:

- none of your friends can go beyond your neighborhood
- you're not allowed to decide what weapons to defend yourself with
- you can't have friends and family anymore unless we agree to it too
- you can't go on vacation to europe, mexico, or the caribbean anymore
- you are permanently banned from marrying into a family

and if you do not agree to all of these demands, they'll burn your house down and annex your backyard into theirs

because thats the personal analogy to what is happening between two countries

That's kind of what I expected, they're completely unreasonable and at this point it seems like Putin wants a war to happen just something to spin. They didn't listen our absurd demands!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's really important to remember that these aren't new demands though (well, it's new that they're being explicitly made). They represent the Russian view of the correct state of the world since the end of the Cold War, these are not demands that have been made up just to be rejected as a prelude to a war, Russia genuinely wants a settlement in Europe that looks like this.

e: this is not to say that Russia thinks there is a chance in hell of the demands being accepted, only that within Russian international security circles they represent conventional thought

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 21, 2022

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Renegotiation of INF, as far as I can tell, is happening privately in a parallel flow - those were a major part of Russia-US bilateral talks earlier this month. I think it is the only exception where Russia may agree to separate one of their demands from the others.

And Russia was actually bothered enough to (chronologically after Trump’s announcement):

1) Accept US invitation to try to settle differences
2) Invite US to continue the conversation (Trump administration ignored the invitation)
— US confirms withdrawal in 6 months and pauses the participation —
3) Temporarily pause (instead of withdrawing) treaty participation while offering US a way out
4) Indeterminately pause (instead of withdrawing) treaty participation
— US withdraws from the treaty —
— 1 month passes —
5) Offer NATO to discuss a separate INF-style treaty for Europe (ignored)
— 1 year passes
6) Reiterate new NATO treaty offer (ignored)
7) Offer US and NATO to develop, together, specific solutions to determine and verify INF compliance on all topics contested by either side (ignored)

Right now, Russia de jure is still committed to the treaty - just not observing it, since why would they?

hmmm, fair enough. i wonder if there's actually a chance of a new treaty getting ratified by congress given the general collapse of our political system

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's kind of what I expected, they're completely unreasonable and at this point it seems like Putin wants a war to happen just something to spin. They didn't listen our absurd demands!

Russia's demands remind me a lot of the demands that Austria-Hungary presented to Serbia before their invasion in 1914. The AH ultimatum was purposefully designed to be unacceptable thus providing them with "cover" for their war. I think Russia has done much the same thing with their demands here, or at least they are leaving the door open for that kind of scenario.

I listened to a talk at Stanford today from last week about the situation and the analyst there points out that Russia only issued these demands after the West demanded to know why they were building up troops. It seemed to this man at least that the demands were rather hastily put together and were never really reflective of any goals that Russia felt she could realistically fulfill, which has its own set of worrisome connotations. Here is the talk if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwrzophpNJA

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Regarde Aduck posted:

What the gently caress is this, seriously. We demand NATO stops sending its semi-literate posting forces

"You are a child that sees the world on black and white and thinks in concepts of goodies and baddies! Clearly the truth is that all the time that people are insanely pissed at the government that they overthrow it are schemes by CIA that are bad and weak"

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

spacetoaster posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I'm just not sure what they would actually do if they got it back. Would they launch a humanitarian effort and open the water source? Would they come in and invest in fixing the infrastructure? Can they?

I never said any of that. Re-read my post.
I re-read your post.

spacetoaster posted:

Do you think Crimeans want to go back to Ukraine? Also, what do you think Ukraine would do there if they got it back?
What sort of questions are these? People like to go back to their homes if they were taken away(I believe not too many were displaced in Crimea anyway). Why wouldn't the government of Ukraine service the area? "Oh you guys were invaded? We are not gonna do poo poo for you as punishment". Whether they do a good job is the question to ask.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Renegotiation of INF, as far as I can tell, is happening privately in a parallel flow - those were a major part of Russia-US bilateral talks earlier this month. I think it is the only exception where Russia may agree to separate one of their demands from the others.
Getting rid of short and intermediate range US weapons out of Europe should happen. It only takes 20 mins for an ICBM to travel from 1 side of the earth to the other. Having short range nuclear weapons cuts this time to minutes. Although East European states probably have different ideas.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Somaen posted:

What the gently caress is this, seriously. We demand NATO stops sending its semi-literate posting forces

"You are a child that sees the world on black and white and thinks in concepts of goodies and baddies! Clearly the truth is that all the time that people are insanely pissed at the government that they overthrow it are schemes by CIA that are bad and weak"

I mean supporting independent media and pro-democracy organisations is inherently destabilising for an authoritarian system or managed democracy, but that's not actually the same thing as flooding a country with propaganda or organising riots or any of the other things Russia has been caught doing. These things are only 'destabilising' because these regimes are inherently unstable and lack popular support.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

I mean supporting independent media and pro-democracy organisations is inherently destabilising for an authoritarian system or managed democracy, but that's not actually the same thing as flooding a country with propaganda or organising riots or any of the other things Russia has been caught doing. These things are only 'destabilising' because these regimes are inherently unstable and lack popular support.

Yeah, in the context of EE the most prominent colour revolutions were Ukraine, Georgia and Kyrgyzstan in the last 30 years and they were definitely not about what the person is ranting about. Just thought it was hilariously ironic with the smugness at the end

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Dude, your argument was on thin ice as a premises in the first place. I'm debating with you I'm not going to mash buttons when debating with you.

But you need to explain why your argument has any merit, since at this point its nearly all counterfactual.

Got to come down hard on the guy making an argument you disagree with so good posts like these can continue to thrive

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Best Friends posted:

Got to come down hard on the guy making an argument you disagree with so good posts like these can continue to thrive

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Best Friends posted:

Huh.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Best Friends posted:

what

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Less white noise posting pls

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

hmmm, fair enough. i wonder if there's actually a chance of a new treaty getting ratified by congress given the general collapse of our political system

I’ll be very surprised if there’s an INF 2.0 this decade, mainly since I cannot imagine enough political will until at least after the next U.S. presidency’s midterms. And that may be a charitable read, since being hawkish on Russia is a cheap bipartisan play.

Budzilla posted:

Getting rid of short and intermediate range US weapons out of Europe should happen. It only takes 20 mins for an ICBM to travel from 1 side of the earth to the other. Having short range nuclear weapons cuts this time to minutes. Although East European states probably have different ideas.

As a Latvian, I’ve only heard condemnation regarding the demise of INF Treaty. Pretty much everyone would appreciate any “mandatory” conflicts to happen the slowest way possible. Political takes from our establishment may slightly differ, but that’s because priority number one is to keep Americans happy, especially if isolationism politics take hold there.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 21, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
One thing that's confusing me as I read along here: why is it a given that NATO wouldn't be interested in adding Ukraine? Is it purely concern about the Russian reaction, or is there something intrinsically about Ukraine that makes it an undesirable member compared with the other Eastern European countries that were added?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

surf rock posted:

One thing that's confusing me as I read along here: why is it a given that NATO wouldn't be interested in adding Ukraine? Is it purely concern about the Russian reaction, or is there something intrinsically about Ukraine that makes it an undesirable member compared with the other Eastern European countries that were added?

NATO has a policy of not admitting members with ongoing territorial disputes, which is why Russia has this tendency of creating frozen territorial conflicts in neighbouring states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

surf rock posted:

there is an extremely obscure anti-borscht article that many NATO members consider nevertheless the heart of the alliance