Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

keep punching joe posted:

AITA for not liking Indian food?

What a dipshit.

Dipshittiness aside, how do you stay in a relationship with someone who (a) likes to cook (b) food you don't like? That should be a dealbreaker from both sides!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for refusing to go to any family event with my parents and sister even tho she just got out of rehab?

No mention of an apology I see.
A rare non-throwaway post, OP has a little more info on a different thread:

quote:

Yeah my parents where somewhat like that. My sister was very sick because she has anorexia. She came to almost death a few times and had at least 2 cardiac incidents. My parents decided that, it would be best to focus on Jamie only. I was ignored from the sweet age of 11 on.

Then one day Jamie attacked me with a knife. And my parents send me away. I was 13 at the time. They used all my college money on her and barley called/visited me. I was with my aunt and uncle till iw as 21 and graduated. They are more my parents than my parents.
No apology from the sister, but why can't you just leave it in the past??

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Das Boo posted:

Still a ways back, but this thread has taught me I have the idea of love language rear end-backwards. I always thought it was how you express affection, not how you demand it.

When people would talk about how bullshit love language is, I always sat back and quietly wondered why "I prefer to express affection through gifts!" was a dumb and bad thing to know about myself.

It's bullshit for multiple reasons; the one you list, and also that like MBTI, star signs, Hogwarts houses, or "Which Brooklyn 99 Detective are you" quizzes, humans don't fit into 16, 12, 4, or 8 neat little boxes. The base idea of "people express and expect affection in different ways" is fine, the problem is that the popular version of it is "People expect affection in exactly five ways, with no cross-over or anything", which is absolute horseshit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Neito posted:

It's bullshit for multiple reasons; the one you list, and also that like MBTI, star signs, Hogwarts houses, or "Which Brooklyn 99 Detective are you" quizzes, humans don't fit into 16, 12, 4, or 8 neat little boxes. The base idea of "people express and expect affection in different ways" is fine, the problem is that the popular version of it is "People expect affection in exactly five ways, with no cross-over or anything", which is absolute horseshit.

motherfucking Plato ruined everything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Furious George posted:

20 Spices? Some of those must be doubles!

Pap-Ri-Ka.. WTF is that poo poo I hope this exotic spice didn't cost 100 dollars
cumin CUMIN??? That's gotta be a joke right that's not real spices.
card-a-Mom.. I do that at the grocery store to give women a boost in confidence.

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
if you think spiderman is real then you've got a big problem, kid.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah, that initial post annoyed me because they just said "My sister attacked me and I was sent away" which seemed really vague. 'Attacked' could just mean they yelled at each other a lot or something, and the way it was phrased their ages were kind of unclear.

"My sister tried to murder me with a knife when I was 13" is a lot more clear

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

sootikins posted:

does the bedroom door not close? What in the actual gently caress

Some cats, like mine, are assholes and will meow at the door if you lock them out, and a spray bottle only goes so far in deterring them

Of course, I’m of the opinion that if you have a cat, you need to just get used to them being in your bed at night

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
do not spray a cat with water, the only thing they will learn is that you hate them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
water is for interrupting a bad behavior and also making them run away from an area they're not supposed to be in

closing the door and putting up with a few minutes of meowing is what you want to do at bedtime

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pomme de Terror posted:

RUN

AITA for interrupting at my Fiance's sleep and yelling at him for locking out my cats for 4 hours?

god, cops are such fuckin scum

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

moonmazed posted:

do not spray a cat with water, the only thing they will learn is that you hate them

Mine turned dodging the spray bottle into part of the game. And in the summer months he'd claw at stuff and then sit there purring waiting for the mist.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
there are good people who become cops because they still buy into the mythology or want to make a change from within the system or whatever

universally, within five years they will either stop being cops or stop being good people

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I use an electric dust blower because the only place I really give a poo poo about my cat getting into is the cables behind the stereo or computers, and I can't use water there

Simply picking her up and tossing her off the counter every time I catch her seems to keep her off of them, but I just assume she's up there all night to spite me, so I wipe them down before making food on them anyway

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My cat is dumb as gently caress and literally will just stand there staring at you if you spray bottle him

He is ungovernable

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

He said he doesn't like the smell while it's cooking. He hasn't even tasted it and he says he doesn't like it.

She needs to leave and find someone who appreciates her cooking :grin:

He's dumb for not even wanting her to cook it at all but he does say that he's eaten Indian food before and it gives him an upset stomach.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for pretending like my eyes were burning when my brother rolled down my window in the carwash?

quote:

I (14f) went with my brother (16m) to the carwash. He's been watching prank videos lately and I've seen a few get really popular where the driver winds down the passenger's window in the carwash and gets them soaked. I had a feeling he was going to do this.

We went into the carwash and at first he didn't do it, which I was kind of relieved. Then I noticed he put his hand on the window controls. The sprayer was coming around to my side and he put my window down. I yelled at him to stop and then when I got hit with water I covered my eyes and screamed as loud as I could and said it burns and I can't see a few times.

He put my window up, I kept fake crying into my hands and he was like omg I'm so sorry do you need to go to the hospital. I didn't respond to him and he kept asking if I was ok, and after like 30 seconds of him freaking out I pulled my hands away and said I'm fine.

He said he was sorry for pranking me but I was a jerk for pretending I was hurt and not responding to him because he was about to drive through the carwash door to get out and get me help.

It's not funny! You pranked me when I pranked you!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

muscles like this! posted:

He's dumb for not even wanting her to cook it at all but he does say that he's eaten Indian food before and it gives him an upset stomach.

A less racist person might note which meal that was and use it to narrow down the offending ingredient, rather than, uh, telling his Indian partner she is only allowed to cook white food in her own dang home.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

How is it funny to gently caress up your own car's interior like that?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

My cat is dumb as gently caress and literally will just stand there staring at you if you spray bottle him

He is ungovernable

We tried the spray bottle to keep Olivia from stealing our food.

Pretty much ended like this. He'll grab food right off our plates while we're hosing him down. He's soaked, doesn't give a gently caress, he got food

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My babies understand that if the spray is out, it’s “you done hosed up” time. Thankfully it’s rarer as they age.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Some cats, like mine, are assholes and will meow at the door if you lock them out, and a spray bottle only goes so far in deterring them

Of course, I’m of the opinion that if you have a cat, you need to just get used to them being in your bed at night

true, true

ours like to get into squabbles at gently caress off o'clock so we have a collection of the mini squishmallows to toss in the direction of growling/hissing

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for kicking my sister's husband out of my house because of what he did?

quote:

I (f34) lost my husband 8 weeks ago, he had cancer and it got treated then it came back. It was and still is so devastating, I'm trying to stay collected and welcoming to all the supportive family members who come to offer help despite my constant change in mood due to grief.

My sister is the most supportive one, although her husband would act inappropriately sometimes, especially after he told me after the funeral that now I'm "burden" free and can "live my life" given I was my husband's sole carer. I try to let go of those comments thinking he didn't know better.

He, my sister, and my family came to visit last week. They cooked dinner for me and kept me company for a bit. After dinner, my brother in law asked for a minute with me inside the kitchen. He started telling about a coworker of his who's single then went on to list everything good about him. I was confused as to why he was telling me all that. he then reached out for his pant pocket and pulled a piece of paper with his co worker's phone number on it telling me to give him a call sometime. I was floored I couldn't really tell if he was joking or what but he looked serious and kept insisting I take the number. I lost it, I just started yelling at him that my husband just died and he was out of his mind to try to hook me up with a coworker of his. He tried to explaine that it wasn't like that and that he was just offering me something helpful but I didn't know what he meant. I called him disrespectful then yelled at him to get out of my house. My sister and the others ran into the kitchen not knowing what was going on, I told them then pressured him to leave my house but my sister asked that I calm down but I couldn't. He left then my sister left quietly.

After I'd calmed down I sat with my family and they said I was right in that what he did was not okay, but I needed to keep in mind that he and my sister helped so much by cooking for me, comforting me and doing so much for me in these difficult times so, I shouldn't have reacted like that and could've been a little more considerate and graceful. They said kicking him out was too much and I should call him later and talk things out so I won't ruin my relationship with him and possibly my sister.

It's been days and I haven't called and my sister hasn't visited or called which means she is upset with me and now I'm beginning to think they're most likely hurt because I acted ungrateful after everything they've done for me.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
"hey I know your husband's now rotting in the grave and you'll never see him again but here's the number to a guy I think you'll love to hook up with. You're done grieving, right? I mean at 8 weeks it's marginal"

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Nah gently caress em and never talk to them ever again. Nothing of value will be lost.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

dog nougat posted:

Nah gently caress em and never talk to them ever again. Nothing of value will be lost.

Yeah hey thanks for doing dishes for a couple weeks. Whats that? I should blow your coworker? Yeah its been a fortnight since i watched my husband die, lets party

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Nah I mean gently caress your sister and bil in the proverbial sense. Not like go gently caress the dude's coworker.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You guys are amateur cat owners. All I need to do is say "NO" in my super serious voice while standing up and they stop. Of course they're doing what they shouldn't be doing when I'm not there to stop them, but only a fool would believe otherwise.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

OP was 13 and sis was 18 when the knife attack took place.

Blastedhellscape posted:

Yeah, that initial post annoyed me because they just said "My sister attacked me and I was sent away" which seemed really vague. 'Attacked' could just mean they yelled at each other a lot or something, and the way it was phrased their ages were kind of unclear.

"My sister tried to murder me with a knife when I was 13" is a lot more clear

Yeah, it's weird. Maybe "don't write posts about directs acts of violence" is one of those bullshit rules AITA has.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

AITA for pretending like my eyes were burning when my brother rolled down my window in the carwash?

It's not funny! You pranked me when I pranked you!

She really should have feigned blindness to seal the deal here

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

To be fair she was under a lot of pressure, she just needed you to shower some extra affection.

:perfect:

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for buying two of the same small car instead of a more practical car? My boyfriend is frustrated I didn't consider his needs.

quote:

For a few years, I've had a newer Miata as my only car. I find it practical for myself, I've even traveled cross country in it twice.

My boyfriend doesn't find it as practical, he is 6 foot 2 and finds it small, plus he doesn't like to pack light when traveling and is frustrated at only being able to bring one suitcase.

Anyway, I wanted a car to take to track days, that I could mod more than my daily driver.

I mentioned to my boyfriend that I was shopping around for another car, I wanted something to track, but I also was gonna keep it street legal so we could have a second car. He doesn't have a car of his own so sometimes things are logistically difficult.

I was looking at a few options for cars on Craigslist and then spotted a great deal on a 1997 miata. It needed some work but that's my hobby anyway. I jumped on it because that kinda deal doesn't stick around for long and that same afternoon I bought the car.

I got to work on it over the weekend and got it repaired well enough to be driveable, and I am planning to add a roll cage, suspension upgrades, new sway bars, and new tires.

But on Sunday when my boyfriend came back from a weekend trip he was taking, he was really upset to see the car. He was incredulous I'd bought a second of the same car, this one even smaller.

He said he was expecting something "full sized" which could fit more than two people. He has visitation every month with his kids he had with his ex and he either has to take them on the bus, or during covib, have his ex drive them to him and pick them up. So he was frustrated I didn't get a 5 seater car that could fit the kids along with us.

I said I never knew he expected anything but me picking a track day car, picked out primarily to race, and letting him drive whatever it was if he needed to occasionally. But it seemed like he saw me getting this second car as primarily a car for him or our household?

He said he wasn't trying to act entitled but he did expect me to at least be considerate of his situation and not just be like "Me! Me! Me!" And go buy a second car that is my favorite car but doesn't consider him at all

AITA for buying a second Miata?
Strap in, kids, it's race day.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Maroon Hawk posted:

When I lived with a cat, it was in an apartment with handles on the doors instead of knobs, so he learned he could jump up, grab the handle to turn it, and slam himself into the door to either push it open or cause it to rebound off the frame and open.

He was an inventive little bastard.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mx. posted:

He is ungovernable
I have a rescue chicken that doesn't understand being shoved. Literally does not comprehend the concept. Try to push her out of the way and she stands there yelling at you for inexplicably pressing her until you give up or she loses her balance. Multiple times I've tried to shove her out of my way and she's rolled completely over my foot into the exact place she started in, yelling the whole time.

Cats suck chickens rule

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for buying two of the same small car instead of a more practical car? My boyfriend is frustrated I didn't consider his needs.

Why doesn't boyfriend buy a car that will fit his kids, not her job.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yeah, it's weird. Maybe "don't write posts about directs acts of violence" is one of those bullshit rules AITA has.

And "don't post stories about abuse" has been brought up multiple times in fits and starts here but somehow this is okay.

To be clear: I'm not one of the people who has a problem with it when there is a redeeming factor. Because 20% of these stories here involve abuse in some way and the bulk of the rest of them could be extrapolated into abuse by a poster who is determined to do so.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Seth Pecksniff posted:

"hey I know your husband's now rotting in the grave and you'll never see him again but here's the number to a guy I think you'll love to hook up with. You're done grieving, right? I mean at 8 weeks it's marginal"

"Let me be the first to welcome you back to the dating pool. Here's a guy who'll help you dog-paddle around."

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yes, that's the reason:

r/aita posted:

No Violence
Don't even mention violence.

If your post or comment references violence, don't share it here. Any hint, mention, euphemism or suggestion of violence falls under this rule and isn't allowed.

Comments and even jokes about violence are not tolerated. Encouraging self-harm, suicide, "bad karma," property damage, food tampering, or anything that wishes mental or physical pain on anyone is strictly prohibited. Violating this rule will result in a permanent ban.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Dude has kids. If he wants to dive something he can fit them in he should probably buy his own car. Like, I know the used car market is inflated by roughly 30% right now, but he should still be able to find something that starts, runs, and stops for between $1000 and $2500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

She has a scar on her FACE from the knife, jfc