Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Paperhouse posted:

Can I ask you (or anyone) what it's like to be a team leader?

Asking because I was in the position to apply for a similar sort of role, though in a different field (senior teacher at an English teaching centre). I didn't because I hate the idea of managing and leading people, and would prefer to just do my job as painlessly as possible. But in my working life most of my team leaders or seniors have basically seemed to do not a lot more than what I was already doing, and weren't always good at managing people either

It's completely different between companies and even between teams. At that particular one the only extra duty was negotiating break times and holidays to make sure we weren't short-handed, and being the "manager" that people could shout at after all the actual management had gone home. That was a small, and pretty-much flat company - the furthest anyone got from the actual owners was 3 levels of management (I reported to the support manager, who reported to the owners).

At other places it's normally come with a degree of people management - setting and assessing objectives, getting involved in recruitment, etc - and at the right company (or with the right personality) that can be quite rewarding because you can shield your team from the worst of management bullshit, but at many companies it's just a shitload of extra hassle working as a prophylactic between management and the unwashed masses, often for no extra actual money. Occasionally a team leader who looks like they're doing nothing is actually doing an absolute shitload that you don't realise until they stop doing it, as has been shouted at me by my staff after a well-timed holiday left them having to deal with some of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
shot
https://twitter.com/Sathnam/status/1484110010133135364

chaser
https://twitter.com/Olliek74/status/1484234373121589253

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prole posted:

In my past jobs, Team Leader is usually a nothing position the Managers give out to take the load off themselves. There certainly wasn't much "leading" involved.

That has generally been my experience, manager responsibility without manager pay, so managers have to do less of it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/dli_odoir/status/1484127860877148161

:perfect:

e: I started to call him Michael Fabric oval office in my head. And it works.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 20, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My wife just looked up at me out of nowhere (some other part of SA... I think) and asked me who Michael Fabricant is.

A particularly bad oval office tory was the best description i could come up with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Show her a picture and see what she says about his hairdo.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Oh she had the picture up.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

That has generally been my experience, manager responsibility without manager pay, so managers have to do less of it.

I didn't actually do any of the work they "delegated" however. But then, I'm told I'm notoriously difficult to employ lol. I was sacked once for "sharing your opinions" which was a new one on me. I'm too mouthy for my own good. Can't help myself. When you see through the sham that is the system we live under it's hard not to just treat it with the respect it deserves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prole posted:

I didn't actually do any of the work they "delegated" however. But then, I'm told I'm notoriously difficult to employ lol. I was sacked once for "sharing your opinions" which was a new one on me. I'm too mouthy for my own good. Can't help myself. When you see through the sham that is the system we live under it's hard not to just treat it with the respect it deserves.

My job has started using the phrase "circuit breaker" where the word "delay" would be more accurate lmao.

It's dreadful.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

obviously this is 100% fact but where did this list get leaked from and is there any proof it is real?

This was covered a bit upthread, but I didn't see the exact version I heard which seemed the most likely imo. Short answer, there's no proof it's real or that it's contents are 100% accurate. However, when it leaked 3-4 years ago, IIRC it was very much believed by media twitter to be a real leak from within parliament.

The explanation for it that seemed most plausible (iirc from stephen bush at the new statesman, who although a pretty lovely centrist opinion-wise seems to have reasonable sources) was that the spreadsheet started as a private document for tory MP staffers working in parliament, to give others a heads up about lovely MP behaviour. That's where all the "X is handsy/inappropriate with staff" stuff comes from. Over time it became more of an office gossip type deal, which is why things like the Wragg or Kwasi Kwarteng stories pop up on it.

The fact that MP staffers felt the need to have a document warning each other about potential sexual assault from MPs somehow got less attention or follow up from the press than some random person saying they'd seen Corbyn in Nandos voting leave/being antisemitic/headbutting a puppy

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Where I currently work I started on the phones in the call centre. I became a team leader and now I'm in a role that feels way more advanced than I should ever be allowed to be in.

That aside however, this company is one of those that actually seems to care about their employees and listens to the staff at all levels.

For example, one of the metrics of getting our bonus each month was call length. We had to have call times under 6 minutes on average. I was able to get the statistics for the entire call centre for call time compared with complaints and errors, showing a correlation between the two. As such, they removed that from the metrics and calls could be as long as they needed to be.

When they have me the team leader position, they actually have me training on how to be a manager and a leader. How to speak to your colleagues and staff members, how to present yourself, etc. I've been a manager in other places where they just threw you into the role and expected you to get on with it, with no training whatsoever.

This company though, they love to promote people from the call centre. They consider people that work the call centre to know the most about the workings of the company more than anyone else, as the staff there have to go and find the answer for the caller's day in day out. In doing so they gain contacts throughout the business and an inside knowledge of how it works.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Charlie Elphicke is on the list as being "inappropriate with staffers" and then later got done for sexual assault, so that's a point in its favour

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

My job has started using the phrase "circuit breaker" where the word "delay" would be more accurate lmao.

It's dreadful.

I love a good business lingo.

I hope they stop using that... going forward

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it hard to imagine there is a tory, or many politicians full stop, for that matter, who aren't sex criminals.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The terrifying implications that someday they're gonna start applying business strategies backwards through time

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The fact theres only one line for each one is why its obvious bullshit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The fact theres only one line for each one is why its obvious bullshit

They used linebreaks and word wrap and didn't autofit the rows :colbert:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

They used linebreaks and word wrap and didn't autofit the rows :colbert:

alright paperclip give it a rest

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

We need to find the delta.
This is an engineering firm. We have 34 different meanings just for 𝛿.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I thought the delta was the bit of skin between the scrotum and the anus.

I mean, I didn't, but I will going forward

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the best word for that is grundle.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm partial to gooch, myself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Shut up nerds, the most amazing thing has happened:

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1176932147795562498

Parliawint has been released from Twitter Hell!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Speaking of leadership, I'm back on the management track in my career after moving from mobile to AAA games and basically being set back several years due to that because this industry is really weird about mobile.

Tomorrow I am giving a super important presentation to our publisher and I've busted my rear end getting it done as at the last minute it was moved from next week to tomorrow. I got told by my new boss after a mock run-through today that its loving stellar and I should clock off and enjoy a beer so i pop a duvel and relax then head off to get shopping for dinner.

The result? Immediate massive migraine while in the supermarket, full blindness, the works. Operating a self checkout till while blind and panicking is fun! Thanks brain. I recover after a few hours, finally starting to get over it... Start going blind again...second migraine. gently caress everything.

Knew I should have just gone for principle and stayed away from this poo poo if i cant even give a presentation without generating so much stress my brain tries to exit through my frontal lobe twice in one day.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

My wife just looked up at me out of nowhere (some other part of SA... I think) and asked me who Michael Fabricant is.
I can never remember a single thing about him other than “terrible wig” and yet every time I see a picture it’s still shocking.

It’s possibly quite a good strategy, like wearing your own dead cat bounce on your head at all times?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I don't know why everyone is so jealous of his hair. It's a miracle that his hair has managed to grow so thick and plentiful and go back to its original blonde. It's especially miraculous considering how far his hair has come over the past 21 years.

This is him in 2001

It's a miracle, I tell you....

e: I googled for more info about him, and found this article from 2014. I had a close look at the photo, and... er....

e2: There's a thin book by his right elbow in white that is called "How Parliament Works"... lol...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 21, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think even if I was writing a good history book about the subject I probably wouldn't just write HITLER on the spine.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I think even if I was writing a good history book about the subject I probably wouldn't just write HITLER on the spine.

That book won't have been there by accident. Tories are very focused on their image, and there's a lot in that photo, including the flags and other bits and pieces dotted around. I was trying to identify the book as I'd love to know the context., but have failed so far.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The only book I can think of with HITLER prominently in the title like that is Spike Milligan's WW2 autobiography. Fabricant's book is much too big for that to be it though.

E: I was misremembering, it's "Adolf Hitler: My part in his downfall"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a bunch of books basically titled "HITLER" because annoyingly a lot of people seem to like writing about him.

I would expect it's some pop history thing.

Could conceivably be:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 21, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

There's a bunch of books basically titled "HITLER" because annoyingly a lot of people seem to like writing about him.

I would expect it's some pop history thing.

Could conceivably be:

I think you've found it. Same font, and 970+ pages according to Amazon, and it's from a respected author.

It's still a very loving weird book to have on display like that in your parliamentary office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, it's exactly the kind of thing I would expect an MP to display, looks serious, probably takes up a lot of time, but is probably much more readable than a lot of historical texts. He probably reads it and goes "hmm, yes this is just like jiminy cromblin"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

or "now where exactly did Hitler go wrong, and what lessons can we learn today?"

What could we do differently?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 21, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly, but there are probably other, less displayable texts you can go to for that.

It really doesn't seem difficult for people to see actual historical things that happened and then just call whatever is traditionally framed as "the bad guys" as being the people they would have fought against. A lot of people I think look at history the same way they look at fantasy books, the point being you can just pick a side that the narrative and wider society thinks are the baddies and imagine how cool you would be standing up to them, even as your actual beliefs mirror theirs near perfectly.

Far fewer people think "yeah I would be the guy punching the clock at the extermination camp because that would just be normal and I wouldn't really care that much about the people I would be killing, especially not at the time absent the conditioning of the postwar historical narrative" than like to imagine they would be a brave british general leading are boys in glorious victory against the nazis.

Which, if anything, I think is worse. They do the same things while imagining and proclaiming themselves to be the inheritors of some great historical justice.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 21, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If MPs were smart they'd just get all their books off Libgen so no one can judge them on their bookshelf.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That reduces you to standing in front of a map when you phone into bbc breakfast and then everyone will think you're paul joseph watson.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well no, you make sure you have your record collection behind you so everyone can see how extremely cool you are. "Gosh, I wish I had Troutmask Replica on vinyl like that extremely cool dude"

You have the added bonus then of being able to play Troutmask Replica when you have guests & having a 85% chance of annoying the gently caress out of them. Win win all round.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which MP is Troutmask Replica because I think it describes a lot of them.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Gove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

No MP is as cool as Troutmask Replica but Jeremy Corbyn probably annoys as many people for being too far outside acceptability.

The Tory Party collectively are like...I dunno, something by Kenny G, just dogshit.

New Labour are Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms. Also dogshit but in a slightly different but equally awful way.

I dunno, this is hard.