Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Lost Judgement (Easy mode, all trinkets.) That's right--I picked up all the stretchy rubbers and cigarette butts throughout the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (100%)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

3. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (final team: Empoleon, Machamp, Alakazam, Togekiss, Houndoom, Roserade)

this is a weird one to talk about since i haven't played a main series Pokemon game since OG Diamond over a decade ago, and even then i didn't play far enough at all for it to leave an impression (probably why it took me longer than it should've to figure out how to reach the summit of Mount Coronet lol). on its own, pretty good and pretty fun. the Grand Underground owns, and the E4/Cynthia were a good challenge. i can see why some people weren't crazy about the style, but i thought the devs did a fine job with translating the original style to 3D. not sure how i feel about changes to streamline stuff like shared EXP and getting told outright which moves would be effective against a Pokemon, but those could've been introduced years ago for all i know. i know there's a lot in terms of post-game, but i think i'm going to opt for unlocking the national dex and saving the rest for the future.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

1. Tell Me Why

2/5. Setting - S Tier, Characters - A Tier, Story - D tier. Everything was working for me in this game until the final chapter. That seems to be a pattern in Dontnod games.. everything is great until the final act. And since this game only has 3 parts it has that much more effect on the overall score. If they just removed all the fairytale stuff and kept it rooted in reality this could've been incredible.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

still head & shoulders above Life is Strange 2, however

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

elf help book posted:

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (100%)

just bought this game in the xbox sale ftw

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Max Payne 3. I remember enjoying this game a lot when it first came out, and I really liked it at first when you could just ignore the cover system and shootdodge around everywhere like the first two games, but as it goes on it starts throwing enemies that take way too much damage to put down and deal huge amounts of damage to you and the environments get narrower and restrict your movement a lot so you pretty much have to use cover more and more. The story was kind of cool and I liked the idea of taking of your standard noir protagonist and dumping him in an environment far outside the typical noir setting, even if it's an idea that probably would have been better served with a new IP instead of taking Max Payne. I'd love to live in a world where Remedy kept the IP rights and got to make their own Max Payne 3

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

heehee posted:

just bought this game in the xbox sale ftw

i bought 360 crazy taxi and i think that was a bad idea

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

wizards & warriors. pretty fun game, think it holds up. theres some nes bullshit for sure but its still fun crawling around these huge levels

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Unpacking, all poo poo unpacked. Nice game, although it maybe started to feel too real by the last house

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[3] Wizards & Warriors (NES) 1/19/22

Review:

I thought I might have rose tinted glasses towards this game because I played it (and it's sequel) a lot as a kid, but it turns out I just think its a great game. The music is loving awesome, the graphics are really nice, especially the animations on Kuros the main character, and I really like exploring the levels. It's nice to have an old game that is difficult but still has unlimited continues and you can challenge yourself to beat levels without dying (good luck). The bosses are okay for this era, and my only serious gripe is it has two stages where you climb up a tower on disappearing platforms and can fall the entire way down to the bottom, which I loving hate lol. Overall I would say this is still worth playing and can be beaten in less than 2 hours. Good game

8/10

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lots of quick games in the NES run today.

Stinger
shmup where some of the levels are horizontal and some are vertical. pretty short - 7 stages. aesthetic like fantasy land but plays more like a very easy gradius. the power-up system is robust and managed interestingly - if you shoot a cloud, it drops a bell, which you have to juggle with your fire until it turns the color you want. catchy music, thin story about rescuing a scientist. nothing to write home about. i guess there were a lot of these in japan and this was the only one that came to the US. two player co-op option, which i would have loved as a kid.

Tiger-Heli
i guess this was really popular in the arcades, but it seems like a mediocre vertical shmup to me. it's wicked short (4 stages which are a little long, but not that much) and loops without even telling you. i was playing for awhile before i realized it, lol. it plays very similar to 1942 (you can get two side ships as powerups). the new thing is they give you two bombs that sort of clear the screen if you use them (they refill every stage or via powerups), but the enemies can shoot them off, which kept happening to me, so i never made much use of it. i'd rather play 1942 on any given day. it's a micronics port, but people say it's pretty faithful. the coding experience for the now defunct company led to Twin Cobra, which i understand is also popular.

Winter Games
like athletic world and track and field, this is a series of mini-games with different controls for each. i don't love these because i spend most of my time looking up the controls on gameaqs or finding the instruction book rather than playing. this one is mostly based on tony-hawk like combos that you enter in time to not fall down. there's a high jump skiing (called "hot dog aerials" for some reason, lol - enter trick combos over a single jump), a skating race (this one is just pressing left and right repeatedly), figure skating (enter trick combos repeatedly while a timer ticks down) and bobsledding (even the gamefaqs guy doesn't super understand this and says it's mostly luck). i didn't go for the world records, just for finishing with any kind of time (the game does not differentiate except to store your record if you get the world record).

next up: Alpha Run (yet another shmup)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bicyclops posted:

aesthetic like fantasy land

get his rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

get his rear end

whoops. you'd think all those hours i spent in club sega would have made me remember.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Winter games is an epyx joint before they released everyines favorites summer games and california games. I never like kinamis track and field game but at least those games you can intuitively slap your famicom or arcade buttons and get somewhere. The eppx games all have like 20 page manuals that are more dense than computer flightsims from the same time

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

Winter games is an epyx joint before they released everyines favorites summer games and california games. I never like kinamis track and field game but at least those games you can intuitively slap your famicom or arcade buttons and get somewhere. The eppx games all have like 20 page manuals that are more dense than computer flightsims from the same time

yeah, i'd say winter games is worse than track and field. summer games came before, apparently, it just never made it to the NES. it's interesting that they did california games, though. winter games was ported by acclaim but california games looks like it was ported by Rare.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
FF7 intergrade - I put it off for a bit because I thought it would lean more on nostalgia than being a fun game, but it was great. The theme for the arsenal fight is the best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUvL07SIFM

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, i'd say winter games is worse than track and field. summer games came before, apparently, it just never made it to the NES. it's interesting that they did california games, though. winter games was ported by acclaim but california games looks like it was ported by Rare.

i played a shitload of winter games in school computer labs, it's a decent multiplayer game as long as you skip the figure skating modes

i guess the nes version only has 4 of the games though wtf

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

little munchkin posted:

i played a shitload of winter games in school computer labs, it's a decent multiplayer game as long as you skip the figure skating modes

i guess the nes version only has 4 of the games though wtf

it's also probably better with keyboard controls. the combos using the nes Dpad are a little awkward.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Supraland: Six Inches Under (100%)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
How was it? I loved supraland and cant wait to get more

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ArfJason posted:

How was it? I loved supraland and cant wait to get more

Waaay better than Crash. I dunno if it was as good as the first, but it was still really good. Like, it's not as surprising as the first one was, but there's a lot more polish to the world/puzzle/combat design.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

shovel knight pocket dungeon. fuckin a

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alpha Mission
vertical shmup. slightly different thing than most: some enemies are "ground" and some are "air" and your A and B shots hit different zones (so some bosses can only be hit by your B attack). there are a ton of powerups, both the traditional "get this to make your weapons stronger" and some that go on a screen you can access with select. the screen ones range from "shield" to "nuclear missiles that will devastate even bosses." those powerups use "energy" which can collect and hold up to 24 of, so you can only make use of them once in awhile, and only if you're playing well. i didn't use them much, because they're best against bosses, but for some reason the select screen makes a boss start over. 12 stages and then it loops. there are sort of 6 bosses - when you hit stage 7, the boss from stage 1 comes back with a very slight variation, and so on.

the good: it's got hard bosses, long levels, and good challenge. i liked this much better than stinger and tiger heli. you can see plenty of the screen, it gets crowded often, and there's only a little bit of slowdown when things fill up. the game also gives you little breathers after particularly tough parts. the bosses are telegraphed and you always have a couple seconds to collect yourself before they show up.

the bad stuff, in order of how annoying it is: there's nothing to indicate that you're hitting the boss and they have a lot of invulnerable parts. they do turn red just before they're about to die, but that takes awhile. the bosses have too much health. in particular, the boss in level 6 and 12 involves flying in a loop over and over and over again while you wait for each of its six parts to explode. the powerups are too much too keep track of and there are three or four that are negative. BAD powerups are becoming a pet peeve of mine in these early NES games, particularly when there's an ocean of them and they're all represented by letters. while the visual design looks cool, it's very samey. this looks cool for the NES until you get to like level 4:

next up... Lunar Pool?!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I always just used THUNDER until I got to a boss without 24 energy or w/e, then I turned the NES off.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sheeld.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

The Legend of Zelda (NES) -- I'm glad I finally played this. It's way more fun than I thought it would be

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lunar pool is pretty chill to play for 20 minutes or w/e

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. 3 runes HoMo. The man's name is Beogh

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Sonic Generations (3DS)

Really short game just to finish (I think it took me under 2 hours), but except for 1/7 levels which sucked, it was really fun. It sadly does not have Red Rings to collect - which I really liked doing in other Sonics - but at least the S-Ranks are quite tricky to get, so I have a "reason" to try and get the shortcuts and high paths - and there's 100 short missions which might be fun or not, let's see. I'll keep playing it until I'm bored.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker. I think I liked the story of Shadowbringers more since they could just do a self contained little adventure with the setup, lots of this had so many bloated cutscenes where the epic NPC from Patch 3.2 showed up to say 2 lines, and so on and so forth. But it's the best dungeons and trials they've designed yet and the finale was hype as balls. Looking forward to raiding with the Imp static and levelling all my gatherers and crafters to 90.

In Training fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 21, 2022

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Wizards and Warriors

Cool game. NES games were a bit before my time and I've never really engaged with them beyond the classics, so it was cool to get play one that fell into the "good, but not great" category. The animations surprised me with how good they looked, and I really enjoyed the platforming. The combat was bad; I never really figured out where, exactly, my sword's hitbox was, and if there was a cool down, and why sometimes I jumped and hurt the enemies and sometimes I jumped and they hurt me. The music, especially the "your health is critical" music, was made to drive me insane. The final boss was bad.

The powerups were really cool, and I feel like with a slight refocus this would have been considered a cult classic Metroidvania gem.

I'm not going to get the second challenge.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Dying Light base campaign. The movement system was really fun, but the campaign was miserable, especially towards the end. Would have liked the game a lot more if I just stuck to dicking around in co-op doing random side quests

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[4] Space Invaders: Infinity Gene (XSX) 1/21/22

Review:

A Space Invaders game with an evolution premise. This game is really strange and I will explain it using the pros and cons system

+ Amazing art style. It has really unique and fun ways of playing with perspective and as you and your ship evolve the stages do as well, including going from the basic rear end original Space Invaders into a sort of 3D perspective like looking down a fast moving tunnel. The visuals are trippy and there are lots of flashing lights to gently caress with my stupid brain

+ Incredible music

+ Lots of unlockables like weapons/ships and bonus levels and new music

+ The weapons all feel unique and learning them all and their quirks with powerups takes time

+ The evolution theme fits very well. Every stage is evolving as you grow new powers so do the enemies. Eventually enemies start acting like viruses and stealing powerups and mutating on the screen if they get them before you. It's very cool to see in action.

Cons:

- This is a big one. The game would have been a classic BBG 9/10 before this. The game RUINS the loving flow of the game by stopping you after one stage to calculate a score on a black screen and it takes FOREVER. There is no "Continuous" mode where each stage flows into the next. It absolutely ruins what could have been a near masterpiece in its genre. I have no idea why they did this, but it sucks absolute loving rear end. Christ.

7/10

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
celebrated activision big deal by playing through masterpiece The Adventures of Rad Gravity. Total mess of a game, awful, i loved it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. 3 runes HoMo. The man's name is Beogh

Same here but I went with Makhleb

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

blaster master zero 2. really good game except for the long eve section at the end, i'll need to get 3 when it goes on sale

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wizards & Warriors. I'd never played it all the way through and it's actually pretty drat fun

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Empire: Total War, Grand Campaign as France. I listed the Total War campaigns since Shogun II as one of my 2022 goals but I got the urge to play this and Napoleon too so I started here instead. I really like this one, I love the 1700s time period and expanding the map to the Americas and India was a great idea, although they have to balance it by severely lowering the province count in the Europe+Middle East setting which was a bit of a bummer (Great Britain is represented by 3 provinces, 1 each for England, Scotland, and Ireland, for example, so wiping them out by rushing an army across the English Channel real quick when the British Navy was elsewhere was disappointingly easy). There's a lot of variety between the different factions, and there's something incredibly satisfying about the musket- and artillery-fire, the visual effects and sound design for them are great. Looking forward to continuing my Total War journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
legend of mana remaster

such a great game, kind of insane in the best possible ways. remaster adds just a few quality of life improvements but doesn’t do anything drastic. amazing