Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Most people also don't wanna pay whatever the premium expense is for the shorts, since they generally sell for pennies as it is. Breaking the coffer open and selling the parts'll get you a sale a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Real good event this year, I can see the facepaint alone getting a lot of use.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The special instance was really fun!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

How are the login queue times on Excalibur these days?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Another top I can't wear because it clips through my hair :smith:

edit: No I will not change my hair

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hello Sailor posted:

Seems to be around 70-80 people whenever I log in, even during prime time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hello Sailor posted:

I haven't had a queue of more than 40 people or so in weeks.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Hello Sailor posted:

Minimal. Worst one I saw in the past week was about 100. Logged in about an hour ago I got 26.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Pollyanna posted:

even worse

if you loathe gathering so much why the drive to be an omnicrafter? honestly like the only advantages are being able to craft gear/food/tinctures that are sold incredibly cheaply at the moment - and you have to gather, to do those things

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

You need at least one stack of Immortal Sacrifice, which you have a chance to get whenever you or a party member land a GCD attack while Arcane Circle is active. It can stack up to 8 and Plentiful Harvest does more damage when you have more stacks, but you can also use it with just one stack if you just want the 50 shroud gauge ASAP.

I really wanna drill down on this even though a few other people have said it but I feel like it's important to clarify that this is not quite how Plentiful Harvest works. The timer for getting stacks of Immortal Sacrifice is not the whole Arcane Circle buff, it's only about 2 GCDs. And Plentiful Harvest can't even be used until the buff allowing Immortal Sacrifice wears off, so it's impossible to use it early. You hit arcane circle, everyone has a few seconds to hopefully use a skill or spell (and I'm definitely judging my party when I end up with only 7 stacks) and only then does Plentiful Harvest start glowing. You usually will therefore wanna hit it as soon as it's up to get its highest damage under the Circle and hopefully get all of Enshroud off while you're still buffed.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Rhonne posted:

Real good event this year, I can see the facepaint alone getting a lot of use.

its real good. The facepaints good for a few other things as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I really wanna drill down on this even though a few other people have said it but I feel like it's important to clarify that this is not quite how Plentiful Harvest works. The timer for getting stacks of Immortal Sacrifice is not the whole Arcane Circle buff, it's only about 2 GCDs. And Plentiful Harvest can't even be used until the buff allowing Immortal Sacrifice wears off, so it's impossible to use it early. You hit arcane circle, everyone has a few seconds to hopefully use a skill or spell (and I'm definitely judging my party when I end up with only 7 stacks) and only then does Plentiful Harvest start glowing. You usually will therefore wanna hit it as soon as it's up to get its highest damage under the Circle and hopefully get all of Enshroud off while you're still buffed.

Oh so that's why I stop getting stacks long before Arcane Circle wears off. I always thought I was just getting unlucky :v:

(in my defense I'm still only level 89 with Reaper and haven't done anything other than trust dungeons with it)

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

HackensackBackpack posted:

The third segment makes me uncomfortable.

Second part has me singing T2 judgement day theme acapella

especially the last bit. Exhilarating.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Oh so that's why I stop getting stacks long before Arcane Circle wears off. I always thought I was just getting unlucky :v:

(in my defense I'm still only level 89 with Reaper and haven't done anything other than trust dungeons with it)

It falls victim to the biggest flaw in how FFXIV teaches you how to play its classes - all the info is in tooltips and sometimes those CHANGE later and you have to hunt back through and reread them to figure out what it all means. The explanation of how Plentiful Harvest and Immortal Sacrifice works gets put entirely in Arcane Circle and not in Plentiful Harvest itself. Perfectly understandable to be confused.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

It falls victim to the biggest flaw in how FFXIV teaches you how to play its classes - all the info is in tooltips and sometimes those CHANGE later and you have to hunt back through and reread them to figure out what it all means. The explanation of how Plentiful Harvest and Immortal Sacrifice works gets put entirely in Arcane Circle and not in Plentiful Harvest itself. Perfectly understandable to be confused.

That's why you have to look at traits when you level up and not just new abilities.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I read the changed tooltip when I leveled up, I think I just didn't read it very closely. I was like, "allies give you Immortal Sacrifice when they're under Arcane Circle, I understand 100%" and carried on happily reaping souls

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm the guy who played Samurai for like 20 levels before realizing Gekko and Kasha became positionals when I unlocked Kenki

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Died at the last boss of 4.5. These gimmicky solo duties with arbitrary win-states, multiple phases, and no checkpoints are really loving annoying.

Forcing a player into a DPS race when they might not be a DPS class is simply the worst, then killing them for failing and forcing a restart. The easy-mode option is a bandage and not a fix.

Other egregious duties are when you fight the Burger King Kids Club in 3.x where the item you have to interact with isn't even visible, and the six-phase fight in 4.x which is timed at one point, then forces you to play with a different moveset entirely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

forces you to play with a different moveset entirely.

Better get used to this one :evilbuddy:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

admanb posted:

That's why you have to look at traits when you level up and not just new abilities.

reaper tooltips are kind of obtuse when you're first leveling up the class though. several abilities turn into other abilities and until you get everything it's not entirely clear what becomes what. i wouldn't really blame people for missing things like this.

fake edit: hell when i was leveling up dark knight it literally doesn't get a level up prompt or trait saying that you learned salt and darkness. you kinda just have to notice that you have it now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

admanb posted:

Traits don't always tell you either. The biggest one that comes to mind is Hide on Ninja. When you learn Ninjutsu, Hide retroactively gains the ability to reset your Ninjutsu cooldowns, but there's no associated Trait, you'd just have to randomly stumble on the tooltip. Another one is Sharper Fang and Claw on Dragoon: you gain it from doing the 3rd hit of your basic combo, but it doesn't tell you that until you learn Fang and Claw at level 54. And again there's no Trait. Just by reading the tooltips of all your skills and traits at level 30, you'd have no idea how the job will play on even a basic level.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 21, 2022

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
is there a simple guide to how to level crafts anywhere, preferably without spending a bajillion Gil in the process? last time I tried during shb I had a real hard time getting gear because i don’t know what scrips are or where to get them

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

kitten emergency posted:

is there a simple guide to how to level crafts anywhere, preferably without spending a bajillion Gil in the process? last time I tried during shb I had a real hard time getting gear because i don’t know what scrips are or where to get them

This is what I used, but in exchange for the mats being basically free until 63 you have to get the gearsets, which might be pricy to buy, but if you can get someone to craft them for you the mats are really cheap.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The event instance was fun, no wonder they wanted to implement it even though it was off season.

It's a shame that the clown jacket has washed out colors no matter what dye you use. What kind of clown goes for drab? Pagliacci?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

but doctore ...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Someone want to help solve a mystery? Our tank died on the last trash pull of one of the expert roulettes, but he used Holmgang roughly 4 seconds before dying. Under "buffs" in the log it says he used Holmgang at ~10:00 and then immediately lost the buff at ~10:01. Then he died at ~10:04.

After this happened we tested in the field by applying Holmgang to a weak world mob and killing it instantly, and it also immediately cancelled the buff. So does killing an enemy who you targeted with Holmgang always cancel the immunity? I remember that's how it used to be but I thought that got changed when the ability got overhauled (iirc in Stormblood) where you didn't need a target.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

reaper tooltips are kind of obtuse when you're first leveling up the class though. several abilities turn into other abilities and until you get everything it's not entirely clear what becomes what. i wouldn't really blame people for missing things like this.

fake edit: hell when i was leveling up dark knight it literally doesn't get a level up prompt or trait saying that you learned salt and darkness. you kinda just have to notice that you have it now.

Reaper is probably the biggest disparity between Tooltip Complexity : Actual Complexity now. I spent so long during prerelease trying to grok what the Blood Stalk/Gibbet/Gallows transformation was all about and it turns out it's almost entirely just for funsies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Someone want to help solve a mystery? Our tank died on the last trash pull of one of the expert roulettes, but he used Holmgang roughly 4 seconds before dying. Under "buffs" in the log it says he used Holmgang at ~10:00 and then immediately lost the buff at ~10:01. Then he died at ~10:04.

After this happened we tested in the field by applying Holmgang to a weak world mob and killing it instantly, and it also immediately cancelled the buff. So does killing an enemy who you targeted with Holmgang always cancel the immunity? I remember that's how it used to be but I thought that got changed when the ability got overhauled (iirc in Stormblood) where you didn't need a target.

Yes, if you target an enemy with Holmgang and they die, you still lose the buff.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hello Sailor posted:

but doctore ...

:hmmyes:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Yes, if you target an enemy with Holmgang and they die, you still lose the buff.

Haha wait wha-

:stare:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, it's a legacy of when it was a tether basically. You can make a macro that is just /ac Holmgang <me> a bunch of times to mitigate that downside.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

How is the HW PLD questline even worse than ARR’s? I’m at 40, and it’s just been insanely boring compared to the Gladiator quests so far.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's extremely contrived, to the point that a character in the questline says 'this is loving stupid, this makes no god drat sense, why are we doing this and why is it working?' and the answer to all of that is a big shrug at the end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

How is the HW PLD questline even worse than ARR’s? I’m at 40, and it’s just been insanely boring compared to the Gladiator quests so far.

I dunno how or why it ended up like that but yeah it's widely considered to be the worst job questline in the game.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

It's easily the worst quest line I've done (SAM, DNC, BLM, AST) and honestly if a friend who knows the game and has other 90 jobs said they wanted a PLD I'd say buy a hero's journey, it's just not good imo.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

squirrelzipper posted:

It's easily the worst quest line I've done (SAM, DNC, BLM, AST) and honestly if a friend who knows the game and has other 90 jobs said they wanted a PLD I'd say buy a hero's journey, it's just not good imo.

Mmmm I was gonna say you can just click through all the text and cutscenes and it takes almost no time at all, but I realized that PLD is also one of the most miserable classes to play sub-70 so that would be a perfect candidate for a paid skip.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
has anyone made sc6 clown 2B yet? I gotta know.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Very funny though that they try to fix paladin quests in StB by just pretending you're a gladiator again.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

sirtommygunn posted:

Very funny though that they try to fix paladin quests in StB by just pretending you're a gladiator again.

Everyone knows that when the plot gets stuck in a rut you just have a tournament arc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

You never quit any of the guilds you join, you just apply for highly selective training under people they associate with. Or join clandestine orders. Or equip a rock some hobo gave you to be a billboard for his rock shop.