Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Trend Upsilon posted:

Counterpoint: fan theories and fandoms in general suck because they only focus on what already exists and thus inevitably become an ouroboros of incestuous self-referencial garbage that completely ignore the author can do whatever they want with a story like introduce new characters, concepts, or just dump old crappy plot threads or themes entirely.

That said, yeah this metastory blows now.
Sounds like you've been in some lovely and uncreative fandoms. :v:

I was going to see what the comments on this page are like, but they haven't been approved yet. Wonder if it's a deluge of "lol what the gently caress".

I kind of hope for the author's mental health that he has someone else do the work of approving comments. Whether I agree with the way the story is going or not, it has to be frustrating and demoralizing to get at least some negative feedback on every page you put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the GC comment section (made mostly of weird dads) LOVES shell

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
I agree with the a lot of the criticisms about how the adults in the room are acting but I still think the bigger issue with this chapter is that it's people in a room talking about things instead of showing things. I know other posters have made the same point but I really do feel that the comic does commit the arguable sin of "tell not show," quite a few times in its history. There's a more organic way to have fed this information to the reader through action or interaction with the elements in question instead of simply dropping all this information in dialogue or at least divulging it all at once in what is, effectively, a monologue by Shell.

This is probably a symptom of having Annie as our POV being stuck to so rigidly. We don't often get to see what's happening in the world around her when she's not there, which is a narrative choice and not necessarily a bad one. What that does mean, though, is you need that POV character to come across, interact and affect things in the plot more consistently, otherwise you end up in situations like we are now. A boring room with heads talking at each other at length.

I suppose a good contrast within this own comic would be the Jones chapter, where we were shown a backwards journey through time, not just having Jones talk to the Annie about her experiences. Or the recordings of Diego and his history with Jeanne, which Annie and Kat uncover through their own explorations. I feel that Annie should having been discovering the aims of the Shadow Men through her or her friends' actions; making the shock discovery that her father has connections to Omega though their own investigation or accidental discovery.

I hope that makes sense. I can't help but contrast this with other children's / YA fiction that I've read for myself and my son and thinking about how those narratives were more satisfying and made better use of a young protagonist.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

runwiled posted:

This is probably a symptom of having Annie as our POV being stuck to so rigidly.

Except when it's not.

It's a huge flaw of the comic that we're treated to the majority of it from the limited perspective of Antimony but then also we get important flashbacks, character motivations, and plot points from a completely different POV.

Someone way way back commented that the comic had slowly drifted away from being Antimony narrated into what we have now and it really does feel like a detriment.

EDIT: Compare how "Surma now loves Anthony" and "Katerina now likes Anthony" were presented to the audience.

life_source fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 20, 2022

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Double post because it's funny as hell to read Katerina's comment in panel 2 here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

runwiled posted:

I know other posters have made the same point but I really do feel that the comic does commit the arguable sin of "tell not show," quite a few times in its history. There's a more organic way to have fed this information to the reader through action or interaction with the elements in question instead of simply dropping all this information in dialogue or at least divulging it all at once in what is, effectively, a monologue by Shell.
This I can agree with, I think an issue is that the Loup crash happened and then it's been one infodump chapter after the other. if this were an anime they'd have a vacation episode at this point to just have fun character interactions and break things up a bit. and actually this chapter kind of was that a little... starting from the robots' perspective was fun and interestingl it's just the energy's been drained at this point from being in this room for so many pages. it probably would've been more interesting to have them walk and talk than just sitting because at least you could have a bit more visual synergy through cinematography with the ruined buildings and such

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

lmao what if Kat makes Jones then sends her back in time through the norns

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao what if Kat makes Jones then sends her back in time through the norns

Alternatively:

1. Humanoid Robots do not visibly age, may outlive people they met as children
2. People see apparently ageless people (who claim to be made by an Angel), die believing those people are actually, properly immortal
3. Bam! Ether retroactively makes an ageless humanoid figure that has existed since the dawn of time

Edit: A person who claims to be a Stone. Like a golem or something.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So a couple Kat-centric things.

1) Prior timeline Annie is killed. Kat goes crazy and becomes a machine goddess. The keepers of time are really loving weirded out and don't want to discuss further, which rates high on "jinkies!" factor.

2) In this timeline Kat is faced once again with losing Annie, but in a physical aspect and not a mortal one. She will also lose other people she loves and cares for. This is due to assholes.

3) Kat sidesteps Aetheric influences somehow.

I think this is gearing up to Kat becoming the machine god again. The court is going to force it somehow.

I could see this being the court's backup option because Kat just hilariously dumpsters etheric concerns (Rotd, Jeanne arrow, etc). In this situation they superpower Kat as a focal lens that removes magic from the court and the woods, bringng the court to a land without magic. This is likely how the state of Ohio is formed.

Overall I dislike this exposition dump and hope there is something that makes it interesting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jones is not a robot.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I mean, there's nothing saying she doesn't identify as New Life or whatever they choose to call themselves, but at least conclusively she's not a robot.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Kantesu posted:

Alternatively:

1. Humanoid Robots do not visibly age, may outlive people they met as children
2. People see apparently ageless people (who claim to be made by an Angel), die believing those people are actually, properly immortal
3. Bam! Ether retroactively makes an ageless humanoid figure that has existed since the dawn of time
1. Boxbot
2. Choosing Jones' exact likeness.
3. Is so bad at being alive she's somehow incapable of any physical change.
4. Unspecified plot contrivances; disavows/mercifully forgets past existence.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

fucks sake that was over a decade ago

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The 7th Guest posted:

This I can agree with, I think an issue is that the Loup crash happened and then it's been one infodump chapter after the other. if this were an anime they'd have a vacation episode at this point to just have fun character interactions and break things up a bit. and actually this chapter kind of was that a little... starting from the robots' perspective was fun and interestingl it's just the energy's been drained at this point from being in this room for so many pages. it probably would've been more interesting to have them walk and talk than just sitting because at least you could have a bit more visual synergy through cinematography with the ruined buildings and such
I was enjoying anime loving robot girl. That might be an even better comparison than Red. ALRG was a robot freshly decanted into a human body and loving it, so coming off as weird and kind of childish told us a lot about how the robots are handling the switchover. Shell is also coming across as weird and kind of childish, which tells us a lot about the shadow men. Having the newly people be endearingly childlike is cute and funny and kind of fridge horrory when you remember they're all being indoctrinated into Robot's creepy cult. Having the same for members of your shadow organisation is just comedic.

gently caress off Shell you're getting in the way of the fun robots.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Donkringel posted:

So a couple Kat-centric things.
I could see this being the court's backup option because Kat just hilariously dumpsters etheric concerns (Rotd, Jeanne arrow, etc). In this situation they superpower Kat as a focal lens that removes magic from the court and the woods, bringng the court to a land without magic. This is likely how the state of Ohio is formed.

Overall I dislike this exposition dump and hope there is something that makes it interesting.

Honestly I'm not asking for a DBZ-style fight, but we've got a whole cult of worshippers right on Loup's doorstep. A mass death of the robots could easily tip the scales into Loup having another incarnated goddess right there on his turf with the completely opposing symbolism - loup's wood to the machine god's metal, old flesh versus new flesh, his highly organic and colourful form versus her monochrome rust template. And yeah, it's already proven Kat completely no-sells etheric problems. I think 'The court flips Kat into the machine goddess to kill Loup, Annie has to use her diplomatic skills and friendship to bring Kat back to humanity' would have been an interesting turn if Loup had remained a threat after the shield shattering versus well, loving off to Woop Woop.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Agency?!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Love the agency, but I don't really get it - the court and shadow men are meddling behind the scenes, but also they're going hands off and loving off across the ocean? What exactly are they continuing to meddle with?

More importantly,

look how cute this kat is :3:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Love the agency, but I don't really get it - the court and shadow men are meddling behind the scenes, but also they're going hands off and loving off across the ocean? What exactly are they continuing to meddle with?

I mean they literally meddled with meeting with Loup two chapters ago and tried to capture him. And unless you are Annie and are privy to Coyote boasting about how he planned it all, it looks like their meddling triggered a full scale assault at the Court by Loup. So it's pretty natural that everyone is being suspicious that they will attempt something similar in future.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean they literally meddled with meeting with Loup two chapters ago and tried to capture him. And unless you are Annie and are privy to Coyote boasting about how he planned it all, it looks like their meddling triggered a full scale assault at the Court by Loup. So it's pretty natural that everyone is being suspicious that they will attempt something similar in future.

It just seemed very much like that was the end of their meddling, by Shell's admission. That this was sort of a last ditch attempt before loving off.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2544

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2545

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2546

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

It just seemed very much like that was the end of their meddling, by Shell's admission. That this was sort of a last ditch attempt before loving off.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2544

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2545

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2546

She literally says that they needed Coyote's power to actually be able to properly gently caress off and now that they screwed that up, they will have to look for alternative power sources for their grand gently caress off plan "no matter the cost". That doesn't sound like an end of their meddling to me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lt. Lizard posted:

She literally says that they needed Coyote's power to actually be able to properly gently caress off and now that they screwed that up, they will have to look for alternative power sources for their grand gently caress off plan "no matter the cost". That doesn't sound like an end of their meddling to me.

I wonder if a half-fire elemental would make an effective backup source.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I suspect their backup source will involve them moving to Birmingham.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Strong "I'll start my own Court! With Blackjack! And hookers!" coming from both sides.

EDIT:

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if a half-fire elemental would make an effective backup source.

Double-strong half-elemental.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Lt. Lizard posted:

I guess I misread "looking for an alternative power source somewhere else" as "the power source they're looking for is overseas, they're done with everything here now". My bad! That is more ominous and does provide more weight to what's going on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lt. Lizard posted:

Oh, so they can't just gently caress off, they need an ether based engine to power their anti-ether society.

My money is on them using Zimmy.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm pretty sure we've seen Tony in a shadow men outfit at some point in the past

imagine if the Omega device is developed on a really gigantic hand

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'll admit, I did not see that one comming.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This has a lot of interesting implications and I'm excited to see where it goes! Though I am a little sad cus I liked him as an awkward and shy robo-boy

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Very cool twist. We're actually seeing Loup be smart for change and now he knows the Court's plans. But what will he do with it

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
That's a swerve! I'm into it.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Hmm yes, I like this.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wait loup having development

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So that's why he said "it's hard to remember" when asked about his job.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kikas posted:

So that's why he said "it's hard to remember" when asked about his job.

Meanwhile the other robot could remember perfectly! That's some nice subtle foreshadowing.

Loup is finally being a clever boy! Good for him.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Meanwhile the other robot could remember perfectly! That's some nice subtle foreshadowing.

Loup is finally being a clever boy! Good for him.

Go back even further to the start of the chapter and you'll see the Dover Demon sneak up on Jerrek then start dancing around next to the Seraph bot. Like it was trying to warn them.

madjack fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 24, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Now I wonder how he did that. You'd think Kat or Robot would notice that, right? Maybe he replaced a real one and that one was the one who had been given the ocean.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Now I wonder how he did that. You'd think Kat or Robot would notice that, right? Maybe he replaced a real one and that one was the one who had been given the ocean.

I think that at this point it's robots working on robots, Robot doesn't need to be present at every transfer. Kat certainly isn't, and given that the bodies are created randomly he could have just conjured one for himself. It's not like Kat or Robot would question every new being about their past life and work, since they want to give them a fresh start.

Trend Upsilon
Jan 15, 2022

by Hand Knit

Kikas posted:

I think that at this point it's robots working on robots, Robot doesn't need to be present at every transfer. Kat certainly isn't, and given that the bodies are created randomly he could have just conjured one for himself. It's not like Kat or Robot would question every new being about their past life and work, since they want to give them a fresh start.

Kat has done way more to address the robots' lovely deal with the Court than Paz ever has for the animals.

Interestingly, one of these two characters is deeply involved with the Court bureaucracy , while the other has been shown to be trying to avoid and work around it as much as possible. Weird how that works out, oh well!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I told your about the pipes. I knew it was important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
God drat Shyamalan'd.