Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whats important about company paying for your hellofresh out of your pocket without telling, when you can pay yourself for your hellofresh and know how much you spend on it? im all for a lot of sentimental factors in career decision making, but this is literal gaslighting by employers, to include ballpits or comfort food as a compensation line item

Nobody owes you an explanation for their priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

You’re always going to get hosed over. Stop chasing that dragon.

tk posted:

Nobody owes you an explanation for their priorities.

nice meltdown

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tk posted:

at least make it clear in your future posts that you're management and speaking accordingly.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get hosed over by gettin paid only 350k for the 900k of value youre providing employer or by gettin paid only 130k for that 900k, pick one

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can get hosed over by gettin paid only 350k for the 900k of value youre providing employer or by gettin paid only 130k for that 900k, pick one

Both are enough money to live comfortably. Pick the one that makes you happy. Being happy allows you to grow as a person is going to get you further than just grinding out more figgies.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you think 120k jobs are in any way easier or less prone to bullshit than 350k jobs i have a bridge in the bay to sell you

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

if you think 120k jobs are in any way easier or less prone to bullshit than 350k jobs i have a bridge in the bay to sell you

Line of conversation is that somebody doesn’t want to leave their current job that they’re happy at in order to chase more dollars. That is a good decision.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is their first tech job that started off at 70k - how would they know without another point of reference?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tk posted:

Line of conversation is that somebody doesn’t want to leave their current job that they’re happy at in order to chase more dollars. That is a good decision.

no one has argued against this supposed "line of conversation", we're currently on valuing economic benefits correctly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

their personal comfort with their short-sighted decision doesn’t make them a sound role model for anyone looking for their next gig, which is the topic of this thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and yeah, no one is actually arguing for them to quit their job, in case you need someone to restate for you the posts you’re replying to

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

their personal comfort with their short-sighted decision doesn’t make them a sound role model for anyone looking for their next gig, which is the topic of this thread

Yeah I’m reading the OP and you’re still gonna need to explain where this short sighted decision that you see is.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

worst job i've ever had (or will ever, unless I'm facing literal homelessness) paid $38k/year, canadian, for something that was ostensibly a tech job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hmmm, idea: bridge nft startup

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ultimately what i am saying is: never value anything that can be bought on an open market higher than at its sticker price.

which should be obvious, but lots of people do. including good friends of mine sticking at jobs they mostly dislike because it does poo poo like buy them food and drink which they can trivially afford themselves anyway.

arguably you should most of the time value it way closer to at-cost, but baby steps.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 20, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

Yeah I’m reading the OP and you’re still gonna need to explain where this short sighted decision that you see is.

consider reading any of like a dozen posts in the last 2 pages where i say that one shouldn't place major value in your employer buying commodity items for you, which op's friend is doing.

Not a Children posted:

she's happy with the WFH, no-scheduled-hours, barely-any-food prep life

wfh and absence of scheduled hours describes literally any startup tech job right now, so simply making less money instead of more money, in "exchange" for a blue apron concierge service, is the only thing put on the table in the example situation. no great projects, no great co-workers, and lukewarm career growth prospects (hasn't even doubled compensation, since starting fresh in 2017)

based on the information provided alone, she comes off as complacent. which is a way to exercise your privilege of earning $135k when you're there and comfortable, but kind of defeats the point if you're interviewing - why would you be complacent and settle for something subpar when you're trying to move away from something subpar in the first place?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 20, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus christ this person doesnt even post in yospos, they're never gonna read this poo poo, give it a rest. youre mansplaining this poor woman's career to i dont even know who and it's weird

everyone here understands that sometimes people overvalue non-monetary compensation. it has been said what, a dozen times in the past several posts? everyone gets it. settle down.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thats right we've found the elusive exception to :justpost: that proves the rule

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

jesus christ this person doesnt even post in yospos, they're never gonna read this poo poo, give it a rest. youre mansplaining this poor woman's career to i dont even know who and it's weird

everyone here understands that sometimes people overvalue non-monetary compensation. it has been said what, a dozen times in the past several posts? everyone gets it. settle down.

idk why you got an impression that i'm trying to mainsplain something to someone, when tk did very much miss the point good half a dozen posts saying this one supposedly obvious thing. do you think me or other 4 people repeating the same poo poo for multiple posts don't feel baffled that it has to be posted repeatedly to avoid rubbish like the quote below linger around career advice thread?

tk posted:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

see that's what i thought and then there were a bunch of posts about how they don't understand that they're overvaluing non-monetary compensation

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa whoa whoa friend, you were _reading_ posts?

classic rookie mistake, that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
time spent reading posts cuts into time spent making posts

just a bad idea all around

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

interviews went well, i got actually good questions from my presentation and everyone was really nice in 1:1s and asked good questions and had good conversations

i could tell that a couple of them were really excited to have someone to bounce their ideas off of which was nice

i think that was the first time ive gone through a day of interviews and not been exhausted, and i didnt get asked a single stupid star question thank god

now i get to wait while applying to more jobs

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk why you got an impression that i'm trying to mainsplain something to someone

She's happy at her job. She's not really valuing anything incorrectly because she's not really considering leaving. The mansplaining thing is the part where you mistook a polite dismissal of the suggestion ("Oh, I'm happy at my current job. I never have to cook!") for an invitation to explain why that is an objectively poor career decision.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tk posted:

She's happy at her job. She's not really valuing anything incorrectly because she's not really considering leaving. The mansplaining thing is the part where you mistook a polite dismissal of the suggestion ("Oh, I'm happy at my current job. I never have to cook!") for an invitation to explain why that is an objectively poor career decision.

and again i will point out that this is an idiotic statement, if you're making 135k you already don't *need* to cook, if the statement is "i am happy at my job" fine, stop throwing in "i get food".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

she’s also absent from this conversation, and has never participated in it the first place. it was posters unrelated to the op, who seems to agree with me, saying that food ordered by their employer would save them time (as opposed to food they could order, presumably). furthermore, my critique is that it specifically is a poor benefit to be a single issue voter over when making a career change. arguing for someone to tear everything up when they’re happy and easily could be doing worse for themselves would be nonsensical

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

tk posted:

so do you understand that when we are posting on the forums we're talking to other people who post on the forums and not some strangers who don't?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

she’s also absent from this conversation, and has never participated in it the first place. it was posters unrelated to the op, who seems to agree with me, saying that food ordered by their employer would save them time (as opposed to food they could order, presumably). furthermore, my critique is that it specifically is a poor benefit to be a single issue voter over when making a career change. arguing for someone to tear everything up when they’re happy and easily could be doing worse for themselves would be nonsensical

Yo, it’s the part where she isn’t in this thread that makes it so weird.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tk posted:

Yo, it’s the part where she isn’t in this thread that makes it so weird.

between you thinking that she's here, and someone else bringing her up, i sure am the strange one for following the thread and posting on topic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cinci makin sure that yospos has that gbs reddit thread energy

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

You nerds arguing:

The person you're arguing about :

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Let bear

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

thread got bad

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
On a related note my new job has the perk of free door dash delivery but its not available in my lovely small town.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Perplx posted:

On a related note my new job has the perk of free door dash delivery but its not available in my lovely small town.

it was more like a stall town

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I'd get so fuckin fat if I could get deliveroo for free ten times a week, which would reduce my lifetime earnings.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

time is absolutely THE most valuable resource to any given person. it’s the real reason work from home is now being considered non-negotiable. people have gotten a taste of it and no way in hell will they give it up now

a huge part of making more money is using it to buy services which save you time. so yeah a park that effectively says, ‘we’re going to save you time so that you never have to cook’ is going to be huge. the fact that it’s free food on top of it just makes it a more powerful one

yes you can assign a monetary value to it but as everyone itt should know- once you hit a certain level of comp additional money becomes less and less a motivator

in other words

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

do you mean "more powerful" in that the psychology is different? in that case you are indeed correct, and is why company management loves random little perks which tie into stuff with emotional basis, e.g. food, vague organizational loyalty, family, and such.

don't embrace that though, just as you shouldn't go around imagining your boss if your very good friend you shouldn't attach outsized value to the company feeding you. money can indeed buy goods and services, and you should to not set yourself up for exploitation value goods and services at most at sticker price.

e: and just to be clear your post is not literally meant to say "money is a poor indicator of wealth, healthy meal deliveries from Freshly Inc. will save you the most precious resource, time"?

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 21, 2022

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

do you mean "more powerful" in that the psychology is different? in that case you are indeed correct, and is why company management loves random little perks which tie into stuff with emotional basis, e.g. food, vague organizational loyalty, family, and such.

don't embrace that though, just as you shouldn't go around imagining your boss if your very good friend you shouldn't attach outsized value to the company feeding you. money can indeed buy goods and services, and you should to not set yourself up for exploitation value goods and services at most at sticker price.

e: and just to be clear your post is not literally meant to say "money is a poor indicator of wealth, healthy meal deliveries from Freshly Inc. will save you the most precious resource, time"?

I’d love to see the perks evaluation spreadsheet you made last time you considered changing positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it's a couple of multiplications for figuring out rough cost of fringe benefits then addition - "10 meals / month * 30usd / meal * 12 mo/year = 3600 usd p/a value, so nothing compared to the cash portion of tc"

this is so much easier than private rsu and options valuation, which is indeed dark magic because the imputed prices on term sheet are set by vc's whose attitude with the lp's money are completely different than you

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 21, 2022