Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

He should have gone "ooooh snap" and started pissing himself laughing at Fëanor getting upstaged by a Dwarf.

he should have gotten real pissy that gimli didn't want his hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ChubbyChecker posted:

he should have gotten real pissy that gimli didn't want his hair

Maybe he did. As collected in the volume "Unwanted Tales: Scenes That Christopher Read And Dropped Immediately In The Fireplace"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Would be the same joke but funnier without the "you're such a bitch" imho

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 10, 2022

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

It's me, I'm that pedant.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does Gandalf count as divine intervention? Or, because he became "mundane-ish", is it something different?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does Gandalf count as divine intervention? Or, because he became "mundane-ish", is it something different?

Grey not really, White yeah.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

euphronius readying up a scorching take right now

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My new criticism about the movies: when Gimli tells Legolas that Galadriel gave him three hairs, Legolas should've shitted himself and then ran off to Bree to start a new life

I'm reminded of the tale of when Harald Hardrade met Empress Zoe. According to the tale Zoe was infatuated by Harald that she asked for a lock of his hair. Harald's answer was "sure, if I can get some of your pubes".

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Alhazred posted:

I'm reminded of the tale of when Harald Hardrade met Empress Zoe. According to the tale Zoe was infatuated by Harald that she asked for a lock of his hair. Harald's answer was "sure, if I can get some of your pubes".

Please use spoiler tags when discussing plot points from the Amazon LOTR show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Characters who reincarnate in Middle Earth get a peak at Eru's strategy guide before they respawn.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Alhazred posted:

My favourite norse-byzantine interaction is the Piraeus Lion. It’s a nice statue with viking rune graffiti on it, noting that the byzantines refused to let them make the graffiti but they were gonna do it anyway. Recursive graffiti?

Asmund cut these runes with Asgeir and Thorleif, Thord and Ivar, at the request of Harold the Tall, though the Greeks considered about and forbade it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's definitely divine intervention to send an angel to help people, and doubly so to send the same angel again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

imo gandalf doesnt work as a character if he isnt a real autonomous being who can make mistakes and has to have faith in, rather than foreknowledge of, the outcome of god's plan, so sending him isnt really intervention in the same sense as killing sauron with lightning. he was also not sent directly by god but by the valar

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

imo gandalf doesnt work as a character if he isnt a real autonomous being who can make mistakes and has to have faith in, rather than foreknowledge of, the outcome of god's plan, so sending him isnt really intervention in the same sense as killing sauron with lightning. he was also not sent directly by god but by the valar

He was sent originally by the Valar, but he was sent back by God in person. The Valar don’t have the power to remake Gandalf into Saruman the way Gandalf is remade. this is what “out of thought and time” is about, he’s not talking about hauling his spirit back to Valinor.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

some examples of Divine intervention are Bilbo picking up the ring, all the members of the company getting to Rivendell at relatively the same time, Faramir's prophetic dream, Gandalf being sent back, Merry and Pippen being brought to Treebeard, and Gollum slipping and falling into Mount Doom.

Basically, the quest only succeeded because everyone had faith it would, and gave 100% to see it through. Even characters with foresight like Galadriel couldn't see how they were going to win, but they had to trust. "The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true."

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 11, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The eagles you can’t forget the eagles !!

euphronius fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 11, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also Bombadil showing up to rescue them from Old Man Willow by chance, if chance you call it*

*Variations of which phrase are how Tolkien himself tends to lampshade divine intervention

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Alhazred posted:

I just wish I had the gall to come back from my trip abroad and tell everyone I conquered Jerusalem. Like yeah, no big deal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

I just wish I had the gall to come back from my trip abroad and tell everyone I conquered Jerusalem. Like yeah, no big deal.

Well what are they gonna do, go check?

This is why all the respectable people started turning up their noses at Bilbo. lol robbed a dragon ok, sure thing buddy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Welp, here we go I guess

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/1483816597831630852?s=20

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have to admit, I'm willing to be open-minded about it if the music seems to want to take inspiration from Johan de Meij

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkOWvcFsciY

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t think Tolkien ever considered the Valar intervening in Middle Earth as “divine.” So sending over the Istari and Glorfindel (for some weird reason?) to help doesn’t count. I haven’t read his collection of letters though so maybe I’m wrong. But clear examples of “divine intervention” in the most literal sense are obviously Eru himself resurrecting Gandalf and also causing Golem to trip and fall into the Crack of Doom.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
In his really early versions didn't he call the Valar gods? Then I guess he changed it when he decided he was far too Catholic to for that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tolkien never stopped thinking of the Valar as gods (with a small g). When Theoden goes into battle at the Pelennor he’s likened to “a god of old”, Orome to be specific.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate trailers that don't show anything of the actual thing advertised. this is just a logo animation

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shibawanko posted:

i hate trailers that don't show anything of the actual thing advertised. this is just a logo animation

At least it’s apparently all done with practical effects :shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's literally just a title reveal. That's how it's billed in the Prime app, "title reveal" lol

But it also gives us a couple of clues as to things like tone and style, what the music will be like, and how they lean into pronunciations like "morrrdorrr".

Also the Prime app description says "Middle-earth" instead of "Middle Earth" so I take that as encouraging.

One other weird observation — when the voice reads the first line of the poem, "Three RINGS for the Elven KINGS", I had literally never noticed the rhyme there before, and I don't think even Corey Olsen picked it out. Seems ridiculously obvious now though (even if it never has any echoes in the rest of the poem)

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t think Tolkien ever considered the Valar intervening in Middle Earth as “divine.” So sending over the Istari and Glorfindel (for some weird reason?) to help doesn’t count. I haven’t read his collection of letters though so maybe I’m wrong. But clear examples of “divine intervention” in the most literal sense are obviously Eru himself resurrecting Gandalf and also causing Golem to trip and fall into the Crack of Doom.

I think ultimately it depends on how strict your definition of "divine intervention" is. I tend to think of the Valar as lower-g gods like the Greek Pantheon, in which the gods are fallible and can make mistakes, but they are still considered divine and definitely intervene in mortal affairs. Eru on the other hand is similar to the Christian God who doesn't make mistakes and everything unfolds according to his plan. The Valar sending the Istari can be considered divine intervention if you allow that such interventions can fail or have uncertain consequences: I believe Tolkien notes somewhere, I think the Unfinished Tales, that all the Istari other than Gandalf failed at their mission because they were distracted by mundane and material temptations. Even Gandalf the White was somewhat tempted by the Orthanc stone before Pippin used it, so he wasn't infallible, and Eru's intervention was limited to resurrecting him with no guarantee of final victory.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've only read the complete Sil once but I've never forgotten this passage:
Then Ilúvatar spoke, and he said: 'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilúvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'
(my emphasis)

Eru was never "not" intervening. That was Sauron's major delusion. This is Tolkien himself talking about Morgoth and Sauron's characters and the nature of their evil:
Sauron could not, of course, be a "sincere" atheist. Though one of the minor spirits created before the world, he knew Eru, according to his measure. He probably deluded himself with the notion that the Valar (including Melkor) having failed, Eru had simply abandoned Eä, or at any rate Arda, and would not concern himself with it any more. It would appear that he interpreted the "change of the world" at the Downfall of Númenor, when Aman was removed from the physical world, in this sense: Valar (and Elves) were removed from effective control, and Men under God's curse and wrath. If he thought about the Istari, especially Saruman and Gandalf, he imagined them as emissaries from the Valar, seeking to establish their lost power again and "colonize" Middle-earth, as a mere effort of defeated imperialists (without knowledge or sanction of Eru). His cynicism, which (sincerely) regarded the motives of Manwë as precisely the same as his own, seemed fully justified in Saruman. Gandalf he did not understand. But certainly he had already become evil, and therefore stupid, enough to imagine that his different behaviour was due simply to weaker intelligence and lack of firm masterful purpose. He was only a rather cleverer Radagast — cleverer, because it is more profitable (more productive of power) to become absorbed in the study of people rather than of animals.

EDIT:

I'm gonna ramble for a minute if you don't mind. This came to my mind when reflecting on Tolkien's comments on Sauron.

In a lot of fiction, good vs. evil is a purely emotive choice. "Come to the dark side because we have cookies!" vs. "But you made those cookies out of babies and that's bad."

Tolkien calls Sauron "stupid" because he's evil. Evil is inherently dumb or if you prefer irrational. I don't think a lot of people believe that. They believe evil can be a rational choice but it's to be rejected on the grounds of my feelings say it's wrong

I'm not complaining about this. I think it's a natural response to thinking the world is meaningless. A Theist like Tolkien thinks the world is rational and ordered because of God and thus good is of course the smart choice. But it just strikes me as good vs evil arguments in fiction really do come down to these feelings more than "evil is dumb." Evil could make all the sense in the world but my conscience says no.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 20, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

I have to admit, I'm willing to be open-minded about it

Yeah this is where I am also

Ultimately this is Bezos dump trucking money into making literally one of Tolkien's dreams real (his nightmare of a giant wave rising up over all the land, which turned into Akallabeth).

I think it's a little chickenshit to not just title it "Akallabeth" in runic script and let the haters deal, but, gently caress it, if they manage to hire some decent writers and do like a "Fall of Rome" style epic soap opera out of it all, gently caress it, let's ride. I hope it's a good ride.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If we're doing that I sure hope we get to see the visual of the ships of the Exiles washing up on the interior of Ireland on the crest of a huge tsunami, with the guys on the ships all clinging to the railings going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NikkolasKing posted:

EDIT:

I'm gonna ramble for a minute if you don't mind. This came to my mind when reflecting on Tolkien's comments on Sauron.

In a lot of fiction, good vs. evil is a purely emotive choice. "Come to the dark side because we have cookies!" vs. "But you made those cookies out of babies and that's bad."

Tolkien calls Sauron "stupid" because he's evil. Evil is inherently dumb or if you prefer irrational. I don't think a lot of people believe that. They believe evil can be a rational choice but it's to be rejected on the grounds of my feelings say it's wrong

I'm not complaining about this. I think it's a natural response to thinking the world is meaningless. A Theist like Tolkien thinks the world is rational and ordered because of God and thus good is of course the smart choice. But it just strikes me as good vs evil arguments in fiction really do come down to these feelings more than "evil is dumb." Evil could make all the sense in the world but my conscience says no.

I did keep thinking about the Spaceballs quote "evil will always triumph because good is dumb" while I read that Tolkien passage. And it's not me being flip, it's a throwaway line in a comedy because we as a culture have come to believe inherently that it's true, that's why we can laugh ruefully at the concept. It's not even trying to be profound, it's just shitposting and in some ways is that not the truest posting of all :350:.

But I think you're right in that the "good is dumb" trope is a truism of fiction, not reality. We know that in reality evil is a lot more correlated with stupidity than with intelligence; good is about self-sacrifice and long-term planning and generally being motivated by uplifting other people at your own expense, whereas evil is about being self-serving and short-term profiteering and about controlling others to suit your own whims, all hallmarks of shortsightedness and stupidity. Fictional evil is superintelligent because it's about masterminds with 10-step world-dominating schemes which are the only thing that can defeat a world set up to defend against them, it's seldom about evil in the banality sense. Probably because in fiction you want a heroic way to beat that evil, preferably with a cool sword.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Data Graham posted:

If we're doing that I sure hope we get to see the visual of the ships of the Exiles washing up on the interior of Ireland on the crest of a huge tsunami, with the guys on the ships all clinging to the railings going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

I've never imagined the Noldor in Longford before but thanks for the mental image.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Data Graham posted:

With this budget it better be a practical effect.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

im hopeful it will good, but it is only a fool's hope

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of the best shows I watched in 2021 was based on League of loving Legends so anything is possible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im hopeful it will good, but it is only a fool's hope

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Sauron performing human sacrifices in Númenor or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Please don’t make Sauron too sexy. Please resist this impulse.