Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

EPICAC posted:

Do people generally find google ratings reliable for plumbers/electricians/etc? I need to find a plumber to diagnose and fix a slow leak in a toilet, and this is my time needing to hire someone to fix something as a homeowner.
I've actually had really good luck getting single-purpose professionals through Yelp. You learn as much from the negatives as the positives -- is this thing they're complaining about reasonable? Are a lot of people complaining about the same thing?

Best bet is asking around at work/among friends, but who has those? I've been doing well at my current house because my Realtor is a font of information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Not sure if I mentioned it but all three of the samples of the random vinyl flooring in my 1950s death house somehow came back negative for asbestos, even the extremely old one below, which was apparently the best selling vinyl floor of all time.

This vinyl flooring brings back many memories, thanks

I think my dad put that into the house he built for himself in ~1975, not sure when exactly the harvest yellow craze hit it's peak but it was probably near then

Matched our canary yellow dishwasher and sunflower yellow double oven

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hadlock posted:

I think my dad put that into the house he built for himself in ~1975, not sure when exactly the harvest yellow craze hit it's peak but it was probably near then

Yeah, that's flashback material for poo poo I didn't even know was in my brain. I'm pretty sure that was in my grandma's kitchen.

Along with an avocado colored dishwasher that I all of a sudden have the most vivid mental picture of, from about 3 feet off the ground.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I immediately recognized this from my grandparents’ house growing up. My wife also recognized it as the tile in the kitchen of her family’s cabin.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Harvest gold. And that was overlapping with the avocado craze.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lol yup that's Grandma's house

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The room off our kitchen serves as house entry, entry to shower room, home for washer/dryer, and one wall of shelves for pantry goods.
The shelf space is 41" wide x 67" tall x 15" deep. Deep shelves suck, because you can't find anything.

What I'd like to do is something like one of these systems https://rev-a-shelf.com/2538 or these https://rev-a-shelf.com/16671

The catch is that all of the roll-out pantry systems I've found are built to be installed into an existing cabinet; they need to be mounted to the walls and ceilings and doors of such a cabinet. Does anybody know of companies that build systems like these (maybe for commercial storage?) that are mounted only to the ceiling and back wall?

The actual available space is 47" wide x 80" x 22 1/2" deep.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 20, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The room off our kitchen serves as house entry, entry to shower room, home for washer/dryer, and one wall of shelves for pantry goods.
The shelf space is 41" wide x 67" tall x 15" deep. Deep shelves suck, because you can't find anything.

What I'd like to do is something like one of these systems https://rev-a-shelf.com/2538 or these https://rev-a-shelf.com/16671

The catch is that all of the roll-out pantry systems I've found are built to be installed into an existing cabinet; they need to be mounted to the walls and ceilings and doors of such a cabinet. Does anybody know of companies that build systems like these (maybe for commercial storage?) that are mounted only to the ceiling and back wall?

The actual available space is 47" wide x 80" x 22 1/2" deep.

Buy Vitsoe

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

AHH F/UGH posted:

Not sure if I mentioned it but all three of the samples of the random vinyl flooring in my 1950s death house somehow came back negative for asbestos, even the extremely old one below, which was apparently the best selling vinyl floor of all time.

Our painting contractor is almost done, he absolutely killed it and it was 100% the right thing to do to just hire him.

Basically all that's left is to get the doors in, blinds installed, enamel the bathtub and lay the flooring. Honestly I probably should have hired out contractors sooner, but I saved a ton of money doing most of the demolition and cleaning myself. It's still a really nice feeling to be done with the destruction phase and be onto the 'rebuilding' phase.

Armstrong heritage brick, which they are making again

https://retrorenovation.com/2020/03...ater-this-year/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

iv46vi posted:

“While I’m in here” escalated to whole ceiling replacement?

Duh!

Plus four more smoke alarms, a new grille and curb for my attic fan, new lights, and new bedroom doors.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Qwijib0 posted:

Armstrong heritage brick, which they are making again

https://retrorenovation.com/2020/03...ater-this-year/

The "Coral" (the equivalent of the picture) and "Camel" got discontinued, but the "Dusk" and "Serene Blue" are still going strong.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Upgrade posted:

Buy Vitsoe
When I look at that site, all I see are shelves. I don't see any of the roll-out or split systems that let you pack multiple thin shelves into the space of one fat shelf. What am I missing?

[Armstrong Heritage Brick]
drat. My parents had that, but in a much more turquoise colorway (blows a kiss to the '70s) and I have this very strong sense memory of tracing the tiles with my fingers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

oops, sorry

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

AHH F/UGH posted:

Our painting contractor is almost done, he absolutely killed it and it was 100% the right thing to do to just hire him.

Basically all that's left is to get the doors in, blinds installed, enamel the bathtub and lay the flooring. Honestly I probably should have hired out contractors sooner, but I saved a ton of money doing most of the demolition and cleaning myself. It's still a really nice feeling to be done with the destruction phase and be onto the 'rebuilding' phase.

Why are you ruining that classic kitchen floor?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

therobit posted:

Why are you ruining that classic kitchen floor?

We're not, the people who covered it in impossible-to-remove glue and lovely 80s-style linoleum that comes off in tiny flakes did that on their own. That's right, in addition to everything else, the people who remodeled this ratturd/catpiss house couldn't even be bothered to take out the original vinyl floor and just laid another one on top of it. So we're following that proud tradition and instead, we're just covering it all up with vinyl plank like the Cask of Amontillado and it can just be there until the end of time.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 20, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

AHH F/UGH posted:

We're not, the people who covered it in impossible-to-remove glue and lovely 80s-style linoleum that comes off in tiny flakes did that on their own. That's right, in addition to everything else, the people who remodeled this ratturd/catpiss house couldn't even be bothered to take out the original vinyl floor and just laid another one on top of it. So we're following that proud tradition and instead, we're just covering it all up with vinyl plank like the Cask of Amontillado and it can just be there until the end of time.

I was kidding, but I think most people will lay a couple layers of flooring down if they aren’t putting sub floor between them.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You son of a bitch bastard, don't you dare question my vinyl flooring intent!!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Funny, I just had one of these delivered today. It seems to be working great, telling me I'm about to spend a lot more improving my mechanical ventilation. CO2 at 2400, down to 800 when I opened a window

Out of curiosity, ordered one of these off of amazon, despite being very skeptical about it working properly. But I jammed closed our ventilation vent things when we had bad wildfire smoke and left them closed and was curious where my CO2 levels were at

Plugged it in, had a weird reading in the 420s, but after about 10 min it started to climb and finally leveled out around 950 within about 15 min. Cracked a window a couple of inches, and over about 3 hours it's slowly drifted down to about 480 and still dropping, so I guess it works

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BTZHYRQ/

Has a USB-C power port for future-proofyness, and can be powered by either 3x AA batteries, or 1 x 18650

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I rented a house with a bathroom with this stuff. Huge flashback to sitting on the toilet when stoned and admiring how nicely all the blocks fit together, pretending I was in a little car driving on all the 'roads'.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That pattern is available again as a retro design from the same manufacturer if you really want it.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Remember that horse lamp from earlier this thread?l (if I’m remembering correctly)

Well now I raise you the butt chairs:

https://www.modernresale.com/collec...-fabio-novembre

:colbert:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Americans will fit into them much as jello into a mold.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hung 3 doors and partly hung a fourth before I ran out of shims. Solid doors feel so much better. GRK finish screws are fantastic. I drove so many in that just went in without any drama.

Now I get to paint them all. Hooray for me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

StormDrain posted:

Hung 3 doors and partly hung a fourth before I ran out of shims. Solid doors feel so much better. GRK finish screws are fantastic. I drove so many in that just went in without any drama.

Now I get to paint them all. Hooray for me.

Show us a photo please. Never lived anywhere with solid core doors and too lazy to change them out on my condo. If you change one you have to change them all to match pretty much right? I have so many rando doors for rooms, laundry closet, normal closets, utility room…

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Inner Light posted:

Show us a photo please. Never lived anywhere with solid core doors and too lazy to change them out on my condo. If you change one you have to change them all to match pretty much right? I have so many rando doors for rooms, laundry closet, normal closets, utility room…

A solid door looks the same as a hollow door, it just weighs a lot more.

One lesson learned and I should have seen it coming a mile away. Basically all of the hinges are routed too deep, so there's no gap on he hinge side and a huge gap on the far side. The first one was hinge bound and would bounce open. I'm going to swap all the hinges to bronze anyway and I need to paint them so I can fix it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
That reminds me, the door to my attic is a hollow core interior door. I'd like to have at least something insulated. Do I want an "exterior" door to replace it? It's kind of a small door, not a typical entry door size. Is there someplace I can special order from?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Fun homeowner story tonight. We heard clacking and banging outside our back door tonight, and looked out the door to see this:

If the picture is not clear, that is a skunk with its head stuck in one of my youngest daughter's plastic tea pots. The fucker was super stuck in there, and walking in circles for about 1.5 hours with no hope of getting out and also no indication it was going to vacate the main way we get in & out of the house.

So I called Riverside Animal Services, and an Animal Control officer called me back 20 minutes later. He tells me that they don't answer calls of this type and says that if they do come they will have to kill the skunk. I'm told to call back in the morning if it's still trapped, and someone will come to euthanize it for us.

At this point the girls are screaming about how I can't let them kill the skunk, and also we don't want this thing circling our doorstep all night.

So begins "Operation Plastic Teapot". My wife sneaks into the backyard and grabs our tree-fruit picker, and proceeds to try and hook it onto the pot.

The teapot was on there really good, but she finally managed to hook onto the handle of the teapot, and pulled the whole thing off. Immediately she and the skunk ran in opposite directions, and no one was sprayed. Fun times.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 23, 2022

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Thank you for your service, Mrs. Anonymous Zebra. :patriot:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Thank my teenage daughter for being the one who thought, "I need to take pictures of this poo poo to document my parents getting sprayed."

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Smart move on her part donning a ghillie suit.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Had a family of skunks under the shed one spring, that smelt great I tell you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aw, thank you for being a good human and helping that skunk. I tossed an empty peanut butter jar outside to let the squirrels have the remaining bits and cut the whole thing in half first because I'm always worried I'll do the same thing to some poor squirrel/skunk/raccoon/possum. Kinda surprised animal control would not help at all. :smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't trust the creature cops not to just put a bullet in the thing and leave

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

CloFan posted:

Lol yup that's Grandma's house

My grandparents had the carpeted bathrooms :psyduck:

Late to "what did the POs leave," but I found vintage beer cans from the 1950s in a storage closet, but also paint cans very carefully labeled with what, where, and when. And some leftover flooring so we know what everything is from their remodel a few years ago.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We had a carpeted bathroom, but it was a shag carpet bought from Sears that stuck down with tape. Periodically we pulled it up, machine washed it, and put it back down. The walls were wallpapered with aluminum foil that had been scrumpled up, smoothed out, and attached to the wall with rubber cement. The carpet and the woodwork were purple. Ah, the '70s.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There are private companies that do small animal control and are a lot less likely to summarily execute whatever you call about, at least where I’m from. Obviously it comes out of your pocket in that instance, but it might be worth it if, say, your kids couldn’t stomach having it euthanized.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The walls were wallpapered with aluminum foil that had been scrumpled up, smoothed out, and attached to the wall with rubber cement.

Umm. What? I would love to see a photo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm afraid that bathroom was remodeled 30 years ago! No pictures survive.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone do an HVAC replacement recently? We've been in our home a year. ~1,900 sqft split-level. HVAC was installed in 2009. Had the A/C unit serviced in the summer because it wasn't cooling and it had a slow leak. Had them replace the coolant at the time to kick the can a bit, but wife is pregnant and I want to knock out all the bullshit now so we don't have to think about it.

Just had a guy come to give us a quote: ~$15,000 to install American Standard natural gas furnace and A/C unit plus install some county reg stuff like a chimney liner and condensate pump. Seems high, but was at least in the upper range of what I was expecting in the D.C. market. They mentioned pretty substantial ~$1,400 discount if we take "next available install."

A buddy got a deal on a Lennox unit a couple years ago through Costco that I'm exploring as well as getting a couple more quotes. Can anyone speak to whether looking at a two-stage gas furnace is at all worth the extra cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Chad Sexington posted:

Anyone do an HVAC replacement recently? We've been in our home a year. ~1,900 sqft split-level. HVAC was installed in 2009. Had the A/C unit serviced in the summer because it wasn't cooling and it had a slow leak. Had them replace the coolant at the time to kick the can a bit, but wife is pregnant and I want to knock out all the bullshit now so we don't have to think about it.

Just had a guy come to give us a quote: ~$15,000 to install American Standard natural gas furnace and A/C unit plus install some county reg stuff like a chimney liner and condensate pump. Seems high, but was at least in the upper range of what I was expecting in the D.C. market. They mentioned pretty substantial ~$1,400 discount if we take "next available install."

A buddy got a deal on a Lennox unit a couple years ago through Costco that I'm exploring as well as getting a couple more quotes. Can anyone speak to whether looking at a two-stage gas furnace is at all worth the extra cash?

Any reason not to just do a ductless heat pump? I had a 4-head unit installed a few years ago and I love it to death. It ran me around 10k.