Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The right way to play BS on Quest controllers is with index and middle (and ring for Quest 2) fingers through the ring. By far the most agile comfortable way for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

The issue started to become more and more frequent. Googling shows a ton of people running into exact same problem with no solution besides contacting and getting shafted by oculus support.
I created a ticket but I fear that might be it for me and VR until someone makes a reasonable mid-range headset. :/

Since you are already in the oculus ecosystem, you can usually pick up Rift S’s for $150 or so on fb marketplace.

It’s a nice upgrade from the CV1 in terms of resolution and clarity.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Not sure if this has been posted here, but anyone disappointed by hitman vr, or anyone else, should try Space Docker VR https://store.steampowered.com/app/1728830/Space_Docker_VR/. I'm only halfway through the introduction missions, and it is so far an excellent newtonian space flight sim, with extremely satisfying docking mechanics, and surprisingly funny corporate tutorials.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
lol, Dan Ryckert's playing Hitman VR and he just strangled a guy in the Paris mission and while he was flailing around he ragdolled the NPC into a van and the car alarm went off.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

It's me, I'm the sicko who now wants Rockstar to make Manhunt VR.

:sickos:

Oh, gently caress yes. Especially if they update the graphics. Having Brian Cox whisper in your ear while you stalk people was the poo poo when that came out.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
So I just bought a reverb G2 for sim racing, and it is very fun! Much better than the original oculus I tried a long time ago. It, however, still has something going on that I'm assuming is just inherent to VR stuff as it is now, but I figured I'd ask.

Basically, anything that is not directly in front of me that I'm focusing on, gets blurry/chromatic aberration. It is most noticeable on text. Like if I am staring directly at the text in the middle of my FoV, it's fine, perfectly sharp. In my peripheral vision? Blurry, chromatic aberration on the edges. Is this something I can counteract in any way or nah? Does super sampling help? Can the G2 even supersample?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Man I'm really underwhelmed by TiltBrush and not finding a lot of alternatives, which is surprising to me. I was not expecting the brushes to be so whispy-papery. I was hoping something that was easier to just lay down a lot of volume. SculptVR looks promising but does look a little cheap with it being voxel-based.

Any recommendations? I'm currently on Index's ecosystem and have yet to get Revive setup, but if something good is on Oculus it might push me to get that setup.

Funnily enough, just stumbling on places with 3d crayons in VR Chat has been the most like the experience I've been looking for.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

D O R K Y posted:

Man I'm really underwhelmed by TiltBrush and not finding a lot of alternatives, which is surprising to me. I was not expecting the brushes to be so whispy-papery. I was hoping something that was easier to just lay down a lot of volume. SculptVR looks promising but does look a little cheap with it being voxel-based.

Any recommendations? I'm currently on Index's ecosystem and have yet to get Revive setup, but if something good is on Oculus it might push me to get that setup.

Funnily enough, just stumbling on places with 3d crayons in VR Chat has been the most like the experience I've been looking for.
Friend of mine swears by Gravity Sketch, which is free. From what I've seen it's less artsy but way more solid.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Scionix posted:

So I just bought a reverb G2 for sim racing, and it is very fun! Much better than the original oculus I tried a long time ago. It, however, still has something going on that I'm assuming is just inherent to VR stuff as it is now, but I figured I'd ask.

Basically, anything that is not directly in front of me that I'm focusing on, gets blurry/chromatic aberration. It is most noticeable on text. Like if I am staring directly at the text in the middle of my FoV, it's fine, perfectly sharp. In my peripheral vision? Blurry, chromatic aberration on the edges. Is this something I can counteract in any way or nah? Does super sampling help? Can the G2 even supersample?

This is normal and just how the lenses themselves work. Not a whole lot you can do about it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

King Vidiot posted:

lol, Dan Ryckert's playing Hitman VR and he just strangled a guy in the Paris mission and while he was flailing around he ragdolled the NPC into a van and the car alarm went off.

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1484367659693002752
https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1484376133109907456

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

D O R K Y posted:

Gravity sketch was already mentioned, but theres also Medium, which was really good for sculpting style of things. Medium used to be an internal Oculus product they developed, but then they sold it to Adobe. I haven't looked into it since then to see where its at, maybe it supports other vr headsets now that its owned by Adobe? Worth looking into, it was pretty solid.

EDIT: just looked up medium and adobe's page just links to the oculus store download, so without looking into it more, it seems you still need revive, but at least Medium is free.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 21, 2022

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I've had Alyx installed since day 1 but have yet to play it because yeah I don't want to ruin all the other janky games.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

forest spirit posted:

we got one! hell yeah. which model and what quirk do you work around with the controllers?

the only person I thought used them was rage, and I just assumed ebola has one. I don't know if they use them actively though

:eyepop:

I have one too, the Kobra II and like it.

It makes scoped rifles in onward actually useable and it's definitively more ~~immersive~~. Switching to pistol/grenades aren't bad once you get the muscle memory down.

You somehow manage to look more like a dork than playing normal VR though.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

lunar detritus posted:

What should I use my 30% off code for? I mostly have Rhythm games so what's a must-play of another genre?

Superhot if you don't have it already

Also a great game for newbies to show off your new headset

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Twibbit posted:

for those vaguely interested, Zenith is coming on the 27th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWNtT8SMcpM

While it will probably be better than OrbusVR, will it actually be good... I will still buy it and try it out because I am curious.
I just found out about this and I have to say it looks promising. I know MMO's are real easy to gently caress up though.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Gravity Sketch is your best bet if you're doing precision 3d. Medium is decent for more sculptural feeling stuff. Quill can't do anything precise but it's great for making sketchy paintings--you can see how that looks in the VR animation viewer that I think comes with Quest. Tilt Brush... frankly doesn't even enter the picture.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something that maybe I missed in the Hitman talk and I'm reading now, it seems there is no support for natural location/room scale? So if you move around in real life, you leave your agent 47 body behind? O_o

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Turin Turambar posted:

Something that maybe I missed in the Hitman talk and I'm reading now, it seems there is no support for natural location/room scale? So if you move around in real life, you leave your agent 47 body behind? O_o

Not quite. Your feet stay where they were and your head goes with you. What’s in between stretches, twists, and swings everywhere.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The placement of the cutscene screen in Hitman is also kind of weird. It doesn't seem where I initially looked on starting the game, nor where my SteamVR default points. Instead it's just kind of at knee height a fair distance away, and rotated about 45° away from me. Very odd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Perestroika posted:

The placement of the cutscene screen in Hitman is also kind of weird. It doesn't seem where I initially looked on starting the game, nor where my SteamVR default points. Instead it's just kind of at knee height a fair distance away, and rotated about 45° away from me. Very odd.

Yeah, the cutscene screen starts out in a sane position, like around eye height, but every time after the first it's down in the floor and there's no way to reset it that I can see.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
even if hitman 3 is useless as a VR game it should fill your heart with joy that a developer half-assed a VR implementation to market their newest game. How dare you look a ($90)gifthorse in the mouth

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Never. Eternally bitter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

even if hitman 3 is useless as a VR game it should fill your heart with joy that a developer half-assed a VR implementation to market their newest game. How dare you look a ($90)gifthorse in the mouth

The game came out a year ago? I guess you can call post-release updates a marketing ploy if you want, I don't think anyone believes they did it out of the goodness of their hearts or whatever.

E: I feel for anyone that bought the game based on the promise of a VR mode tbf, but this is why you don't pre-order snd at least you have a good game now

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 21, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, the cutscene screen starts out in a sane position, like around eye height, but every time after the first it's down in the floor and there's no way to reset it that I can see.

I wonder if it's trying to recalibrate to the position of a non-existent PSVR camera?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I was umming and aahing over hitman because I have a million other games to play and then Microsoft goes and adds them to gamepass

Ffs Microsoft stop throwing games at me, I'm still only halfway through the first mass effect

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Seeing a bunch of posts that v37 update on the Oculus is causing a bunch of issues (Crash to Desktop if over 72Hz and blurry images).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

m.hache posted:

Seeing a bunch of posts that v37 update on the Oculus is causing a bunch of issues (Crash to Desktop if over 72Hz and blurry images).

What I'm reading is that possibly there is a bug with the chromatic aberration mitigation software, so now some people have more CA.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/s8pdeg/psa_v37_negatively_impacts_visuals/

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

What I'm reading is that possibly there is a bug with the chromatic aberration mitigation software, so now some people have more CA.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/s8pdeg/psa_v37_negatively_impacts_visuals/

I'm going to have to check my version. I've been having some weird "blurry" moments I've been chocking up to dirty lenses and poor headstraps.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wonder if it's trying to recalibrate to the position of a non-existent PSVR camera?

lol, there's a non-zero chance that it's exactly this

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

E: I feel for anyone that bought the game based on the promise of a VR mode tbf, but this is why you don't pre-order snd at least you have a good game now

Seriously, if you're only just now buying Hitman 3, just... go play Hitman 3 in flatscreen mode and enjoy. It's really good!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Scionix posted:

Check if you have a second generation G2 - the headset should come apart into three pieces, 2 for the gasket (one plastic spacer and the plastic gasket itself) and 1 for the headset - if you do have the second generation try removing the spacer; if not then look up frankenfov mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07QUO03YWuo (it just replaces the gasket with the one for samsung odyssey, which is mounted by velcro so you can swap between them). The mod is a stronger version of the same thing, so it might be worth doing even if you have the second generation headset (someone earlier posted about it).

Doing the mod fixed it for me, IIRC it's related to head shape - the sides of the gasket are a bit thicker which makes it hard to properly get your eyes in the lens sweetspot if you have thicker temples. The replacement frankenfov gasket does come with the disadvantage of some light bleed if using it instead of the original, but otherwise it's fine and I use it instead myself.

Another way to tell if you have the second generation is by checking if your cable has a power switch on it; but ultimately it's the gasket bit that's important and I think they started bundling up the new cables even with some older headsets.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 21, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys like throw some grip tape onto your controllers or what. Constantly feel like they're gonna slip when I'm beating saber.

Lookup "Claw Grip". Not sure if it's even possible to do harder songs while holding the controllers the normal way.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Private Speech posted:

Check if you have a second generation G2 - the headset should come apart into three pieces, 2 for the gasket (one plastic spacer and the plastic gasket itself) and 1 for the headset - if you do have the second generation try removing the spacer; if not then look up frankenfov mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07QUO03YWuo (it just replaces the gasket with the one for samsung odyssey, which is mounted by velcro so you can swap between them). The mod is a stronger version of the same thing, so it might be worth doing even if you have the second generation headset (someone earlier posted about it).

Doing the mod fixed it for me, IIRC it's related to head shape - the sides of the gasket are a bit thicker which makes it hard to properly get your eyes in the lens sweetspot if you have thicker temples. The replacement frankenfov gasket does come with the disadvantage of some light bleed if using it instead of the original, but otherwise it's fine and I use it instead myself.

Another way to tell if you have the second generation is by checking if your cable has a power switch on it; but ultimately it's the gasket bit that's important and I think they started bundling up the new cables even with some older headsets.

I did something similar with mine (a first generation reverb g2). I 3d printed a new face gasket and used a quest 2 vrcover facial interface on it (because I had one). The chromatic aberration is gone and the FOV is wider than stock. It's clear for the entire field of view. If you have to wear glasses it also has optional lens holders for the harry potter zenni lenses.

This is the one I used:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4746674

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

GutBomb posted:

I did something similar with mine (a first generation reverb g2). I 3d printed a new face gasket and used a quest 2 vrcover facial interface on it (because I had one). The chromatic aberration is gone and the FOV is wider than stock. It's clear for the entire field of view. If you have to wear glasses it also has optional lens holders for the harry potter zenni lenses.

This is the one I used:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4746674

Yeah from what I've seen there's a different couple solutions; the replacement gaskets (either bought or 3D printed) have less light bleed and if you wear lenses etc it might be better to go with a replacement or 3D printed gasket in-between to have space for them. All depends on what distance you find the best and if you care about light bleed.

e: Speaking of G2 I also like sometimes using the old-style WMR controllers with it since you get an extra touchpad on each, but it depends on the game and they are very hard to get (basically ebay a surplus lenovo explorer I guess, but I had spare ones from earlier headset).

This is all a personal preference mind you, YMMV heavily.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 21, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some Hitman in VR last night and there's a lot of logical changes that were made to make this work in the existing engine like pressing a button to pick stuff up or not being able to reload your gun manually that are understandable for budgetary/time/whatever other constraints but you can't help but want to pick up all the stuff you see and whip it at people or pick up something with your left hand while you're already holding something and it's definitely a bummer when you realize you can't. Still though the maps they made for this game are vast and there's a lot of stuff to see in them so for me, as someone who has already owned and played these games extensively, the ability to pop into VR and walk around Sapienza as a virtual tourist is really cool. Am I disappointed that it's not better? Absolutely. They really did hype it up quite a lot and I was hoping for more but it's a free addon to an unbelievably good game so it's not like a DOOM VFR situation where you are buying the standalone VR mode that should've probably been included with the base game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Does hitman have a mod community? The basic VR implementation is pretty good - even if they literally just made 47 invisible other than hands kt would be a massive improvement.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey, with a Q2 is there a way to force it to use the headset mic?

My headphones have a built in mic and it seems to be using that instead. It is really lovely and no one can understand me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Hey, with a Q2 is there a way to force it to use the headset mic?

My headphones have a built in mic and it seems to be using that instead. It is really lovely and no one can understand me.

Just make sure the oculus mic is selected in the recording devices in Windows.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Are there any good VR design tools? I'm not looking for professional grade, just something to get a house design out of my head and into a visible space.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gangringo posted:

Are there any good VR design tools? I'm not looking for professional grade, just something to get a house design out of my head and into a visible space.

Try Google Blocks. It's a primitive-shapes based art program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turin Turambar posted:

Just make sure the oculus mic is selected in the recording devices in Windows.

Thanks, I'll see if that fixes it.

I'm absolutely loving Payday VR.
It's so cool to be able to pick locks and activate items while looking around and shooting.

Breaking open boxes without a saw is a slog but now I can pop cops at the same time!