Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FTL is a game where, if you dont know how to play the odds with shop-hunting and scrap, you will be underpowered 100% of the time. I got to the point where any run that got past sector 1 was a victory once I figured out how to be extremely scrap-efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
The Demonlore complaints would make a lot more sense to me if it there wasn't already such a massive variety of weapons available. Maybe it's just because it's such an outlier as far as ease of progress goes.

For what it's worth, you see a heck of a lot more lobsters at higher difficulty and with more players in your game. I got mine pretty early, and without really paint attention to it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eh, the crystal ship was annoying because it was random as hell, but I don't think it's too obtuse.

Like, when you find the stasis pod it mentions you'll have to find someone to fix it. You'll probably figure that either the Zoltan or Engi could do it, and as it turns out the next event can be found in Engi and Zoltan systems. And once you fix it, your brand new crystal crewmate straight up says "Hey I'm from the crystal homeworld, there's a portal to it from the rock homeworld, I'll mark it on your map."

But of course, the biggest problem is that getting the first two to line up is like a 1/1000 chance, for some reason. Oh, and you also need rock homeworlds on your path, which isn't guaranteed either.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 20, 2022

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

poemdexter posted:

Binding of Isaac is also kinda crazy with how much content there is.

- 34 playable characters
- 637 secrets (some unlocks, some basic achievements)
- 722 items that have some crazy, game-breaking synergies
- 6 different ways to successfully complete a run not including Greed and Greedier modes

The only other game in the same style that really clicked for me as much as BOI did was Enter the Gungeon and I platinum'd that and the DLC on PS4. I've been playing BOI on and off for two years and I still haven't unlocked everything. I'm at about 420ish secrets unlocked. I was hoping Undermine would scratch that same itch, but I felt like they went all in on "% increased stats" metaprogression and forgot to add anything that varies up the runs enough to keep me hooked.

Have you tried The Void Rains Upon Her Heart? While there are less ways to end a run, it fits everything else to a T.

I feel like it actually improved on a lot of the early game woes Isaac has too, you can choose to fight harder fights for bigger rewards, and even jumping into a harder start you don't really feel like you're gimping yourself for challenge, just seeking greater reward.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

There's a demo on this that I tried out and I'll probably pick it up. It's kind of a grab bag of other action roguelike mechanics -- Hades-style "pick one of three passive abilities", a system where items can be slotted to either give you a persistent passive, triggered active, or on melee hit / on ranged hit passive, as well as weapon looting, but the combat feels snappy.

There are definitely still few rough edges -- the characters definitely have that signature '2D paper doll' look and, more importantly imo, there's no tooltips to explain all the mechanics the game throws at you and the translations are a bit rough in parts. What is Distilled Liquor? What is Excalibur Mode? What does it mean to trigger On Sheath?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The static/boring early stages issue is a huge curse in roguelites, I hate it in Hades and Gunfire both

Alternate starting stages or just incredibly good early stages are super loving important if I'm going to play them 1000 times

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

What is Distilled Liquor? What is Excalibur Mode? What does it mean to trigger On Sheath?

I THINK if I have it figured out correctly distilled liquor is when you find a power up component you can destroy it for whatever distilled liquor bonuses you have enabled, excalibur mode is some kind of weapon bonus that will activate if you meet the parameters explained in the weapon description and On Sheath is the cooldown skill that recovers all your flying swords. I realise you may have been being somewhat rhetorical but I did find these terms confusing and perhaps I am still wrong about one or two or three of them....but I mean it is fun enough to just get in there and cut people and tings up till they cut you up even if you are not 100 percent sure what is happening and there is a chance of dropping to fifty percent sure if you get hit by the wtf debuff.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Playing Skul after Blade Assault was not a good idea, Skul is extremely methodical in comparison to the frenzied mass murder of BA

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

victrix posted:

The static/boring early stages issue is a huge curse in roguelites, I hate it in Hades and Gunfire both

Alternate starting stages or just incredibly good early stages are super loving important if I'm going to play them 1000 times

What’s funny is I have distinct memories of dpeg pushing for this in dungeon crawl a decade ago, after the team put out a poll and realized a ton of players only very rarely saw midgame.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vadun posted:

Have you tried The Void Rains Upon Her Heart? While there are less ways to end a run, it fits everything else to a T.

I feel like it actually improved on a lot of the early game woes Isaac has too, you can choose to fight harder fights for bigger rewards, and even jumping into a harder start you don't really feel like you're gimping yourself for challenge, just seeking greater reward.

Void is fun on a bun, although it looks like 1.0 is going to drop sometime early this year and in light of that I've stopped playing it so I don't burn out on it before the rest of the storyline drops.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Arzaac posted:

Eh, the crystal ship was annoying because it was random as hell, but I don't think it's too obtuse.

Like, when you find the stasis pod it mentions you'll have to find someone to fix it. You'll probably figure that either the Zoltan or Engi could do it, and as it turns out the next event can be found in Engi and Zoltan systems. And once you fix it, your brand new crystal crewmate straight up says "Hey I'm from the crystal homeworld, there's a portal to it from the rock homeworld, I'll mark it on your map."

But of course, the biggest problem is that getting the first two to line up is like a 1/1000 chance, for some reason. Oh, and you also need rock homeworlds on your path, which isn't guaranteed either.

I remember there was a save file shared online with the events in sequence that was saved at the end of the first sector. Even with that boost it was a pain to make it actually happen.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

victrix posted:

Playing Skul after Blade Assault was not a good idea, Skul is extremely methodical in comparison to the frenzied mass murder of BA

They are doing a big update coming in a month or so so I'm holding off playing it any more until then.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turin Turambar posted:

I played 70 hours and I still haven't unlocked the Demonlore...
And Lobsters are one of the most rare enemies in the game, only 2-3 appear in a entire 70 minutes run.
This doesn't seem accurate to me. They don't appear in many rooms but it's not uncommon to get 2-3 of them per room. I'd expect to kill around 4-6 per run, sometimes more if several show up in an elite fight.

Turin Turambar posted:

Rogue villian are more common, and they appear on zone 2 and not zone 3.
Right, but it doesn't matter if you're not ever killing them with corrosion damage unless you go out of your way to do so. And they're not weak to it, so why would you unless you already know about the unlock?
Killing lobsters with fire is slow, but at least it's something that happens naturally.

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah. It's not helped that Fire is in a werid place in Gunfire right now too, directly outclassed by Miasma as a DoT proc (which is made of the other, non-Fire elements) and a lot of the weapons that spawn with Fire element base are either worst in class (like the Piercing Flame or Scorching Rounds) or have low base damage like the Laser Gloves or Dual Fang and thus don't really take advantage of how the Fire element works (since the burn is based on the damage of the shot that procs it.)

Like, if I'm really tryharding a Gunfire run, the odds of me making it to 3-3 with a Fire weapon still in tow are pretty low unless I'm forcing it, and needing to drag one out just to get 2-3 kills towards the Demonlore is just oof.
...it's not about the fire DoT. It's about the fact that fire damage innately does 50% more damage to red HP, which all bosses have either primarily or exclusively.

And comparing a basic elemental effect to a fusion effect doesn't really make sense, the fair comparison would be comparing something like Combustion(which lets the shot that proc'd it effectively do 300% damage).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Arzaac posted:

For reference, with over 600 hours in FTL over the years, I've seen the crystal homeworlds once. And I knew how to do it. It's just bullshit that it's so absolutely random, the actual game mechanics for the mini-quests are just daisy chains of jumps that you can hopefully pull off in time. The "ancient enemies" cheevo or whatever is also awful about this, since if you don't find rock sectors, welp, better luck next time!

I did have a game where I found two Slocknogs, though. RNG giveth, etc.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also no way is scorching rounds worst in class lol

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

This doesn't seem accurate to me. They don't appear in many rooms but it's not uncommon to get 2-3 of them per room. I'd expect to kill around 4-6 per run, sometimes more if several show up in an elite fight.

Right, but it doesn't matter if you're not ever killing them with corrosion damage unless you go out of your way to do so. And they're not weak to it, so why would you unless you already know about the unlock?
Killing lobsters with fire is slow, but at least it's something that happens naturally.

...it's not about the fire DoT. It's about the fact that fire damage innately does 50% more damage to red HP, which all bosses have either primarily or exclusively.

And comparing a basic elemental effect to a fusion effect doesn't really make sense, the fair comparison would be comparing something like Combustion(which lets the shot that proc'd it effectively do 300% damage).

Lobsters were that rare in single player at least earlier on. When I unlocked demonlore in early access, lobsters only spawn in the last section of act 3 and certain elite rooms. There were many many runs where I only got 2 lobsters showing up. And in multiplayer you better hope everybody had a fire gun or else you're not getting any credit.

But I agree that fire weapons kick rear end, I really like firescale, demonlore, and dual fang. Of the three elements, I think lightning native ones were by far the worst and I rarely have lightning except with mods. The only lightning gun that is "good" is the pupil?

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 20, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Arzaac posted:

See I think this kind of obtuse unlock is cool, but the game needs to be an ocean of tons of different obtuse unlocks for it to be cool. If there was so much of this stuff that you were still randomly running across new unlocks 100+ hours in that would be extremely cool, but when it's one variant of like 20 or so ship variants in the game it's just annoying.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

IronicDongz posted:

I picked up gunfire after the 1.0 update and currently have 44 hours in it. After making no effort to specifically hit unlock requirements I have all the weapons and scrolls unlocked, except demonlore, which is currently at 15/40.

I killed bandits with corrosion weapons because I got to that zone with a corrosion gun as my best weapon. Maybe I'm playing wrong but switching guns back and forth for each enemy based on what their current health bar is weak to seems like it would be really slow, even ignoring the fact that there's four damage types and only two weapon slots.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vadun posted:

personally I adore TVRUHH but I still feel like bosses should have maybe 10, 15 percent less HP; without a busted build some of those bosses are right spongy

(ed)

ToxicFrog posted:

Void is fun on a bun, although it looks like 1.0 is going to drop sometime early this year and in light of that I've stopped playing it so I don't burn out on it before the rest of the storyline drops.
it is?! gasp

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Snake Maze posted:

I killed bandits with corrosion weapons because I got to that zone with a corrosion gun as my best weapon. Maybe I'm playing wrong but switching guns back and forth for each enemy based on what their current health bar is weak to seems like it would be really slow, even ignoring the fact that there's four damage types and only two weapon slots.
It's true that you don't normally swap weapons to match enemy weaknesses, yeah. Usually one specific weapon is your baby and you build it up to be amazing-and of the weapons that exist in the game, I'm far more likely to be using a fire weapon(due to the mentioned +50% damage vs flesh, and there being a lot of weapons I like in the class) than a corrosion weapon. Dual fang and Aura of Venom are the only two corrosion weapons I think are pretty good, while on the other hand prism/sting/talisman/poisonous ghost all feel underwhelming.

Also worth mentioning that if you play as the prince, fire weapons get better still because you can inflict decay with nades for free, and then fire damage will cause combustion and each shot that procs will essentially do 3x damage-and then if you max out pyrodominance, not only will your fire weapon be doing 120% damage, but the combustion damage is doubled as well(from 200% of the shot's damage to 400%, so effectively you're doing 5x damage on combustion hits with that).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 20, 2022

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Vadun posted:

I really want to like TVRUHH, but while I think the gameplay is well-engineered, I'm just a little too skeeved out by the character art and the writing. I had a difficulty enjoying BoI for similar reasons.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

victrix posted:

Prisoner's Quarters in Dead Cells works pretty well-- on the "Perfect Run" to maximize rewards you'll pick up both stat upgrade scrolls, kill 30 enemies without taking a hit, and clear the level in under 2 minutes. It's consistently achievable and worth doing, but at least for me it still requires a lot of focus and it usually means I can't pick up every single drop in the level so I need to prioritize on the fly.

Also, critically, while the rewards for the killstreak/timer goals are potentially some nice little early-game power boosts, missing out on them doesn't really put you permanently behind or otherwise gently caress up your run, so it's not the kind of thing where you're compelled to restart the game if you screw up in the first level.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also wrt gunfire, huge lol that 'against the flow' is a common while 'rock hard determination' is a rare

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'll toss my two cents in the "killing lobsters with fire damage bullshit cheevo" convo in that when Gunfire first released in early access, you needed to kill 100 lobsters with fire damage. Absolutely nuts and tedious, and I'm pretty sure they've reduced the amount you're required to kill 3 or 4 times now? I checked the wiki and it seems a bit out of date with it saying it started at 60 and went down to 40, but I'm pretty sure it used to be a nuts number.

Now if you have your talent tree maxed out you can just slam Normal difficulty runs and get to world 3 in less than 30 minutes easily, but even then it's like maybe 4 lobsters spawning a run, v frustrating if you're really trying to get all the unlocks asap.

IronicDongz posted:

also wrt gunfire, huge lol that 'against the flow' is a common while 'rock hard determination' is a rare

It makes sense to me, you have a scroll with a niche use you can't always make effective use of and a significant downside vs a scroll that just gives a short damage buff for standing still for a second. :shrug: When AtF is good it's real good though, I'm okay with it being common just so it shows up more often in peddler shops.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Vadun posted:

I never heard of it! Thanks for the heads up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

personally I adore TVRUHH but I still feel like bosses should have maybe 10, 15 percent less HP; without a busted build some of those bosses are right spongy

Some of them, yeah. Preferentially choosing bosses that are weak against one of your elements and/or stocking up on gifts that give you more elemental options helps a lot, but sometimes you don't have those options.

Personally, though, the one I avoid the most is Lila. Too much downtime.

quote:

it is?! gasp

I think so, although the "early" part might be me mixing it up with Hardspace Shipbreaker. It's definitely close, though -- nine (non-final-boss) monsters left to implement, plus the rest of the story bits.

Of course, the dev is very prone to sitting down to implement a new monster, and finishing up implementing two monsters that weren't originally on the roadmap and half a dozen new items. But I am hopeful.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Evil Kit posted:

It makes sense to me, you have a scroll with a niche use you can't always make effective use of and a significant downside vs a scroll that just gives a short damage buff for standing still for a second. :shrug: When AtF is good it's real good though, I'm okay with it being common just so it shows up more often in peddler shops.
I think against the flow is literally always good and the downside might as well not exist

as long as you're not playing really slowly you have infinite ammo and magazines on all weapons are extended, sometimes to infinity
on the other hand, standing still on the higher difficulties is basically a death sentence, so for the most part you can only enable rock hard in situations that are already not dangerous, so who cares

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/512900/view/3146323379887553148

I'm so loving excited for Streets of Rogue 2 even though it's probably not coming until 2023.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Jack Trades posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/512900/view/3146323379887553148

I'm so loving excited for Streets of Rogue 2 even though it's probably not coming until 2023.

Same. Vehicles, "dungeons," and a bigger world sound amazing. The developer seems optimistic about how it's coming along.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Has anyone tried Alina of the Arena yet? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1668690/Alina_of_the_Arena/

It's a hex grid combat game with deckbuilding and gear, with the enemy predictability of Into the Breach, where you can dodge attacks or push enemies into each other's line of fire. There's a cool feeling of constantly fighting greater odds - fights might put you 1v6 or more, with enemies having the potential to take off a third of your health bar in one hit, and you have to figure out how to avoid or block damage every turn while still attacking back. One clever idea in the game is that you start every round with a "Move 1" card, but you can only use it if you play it first, and it costs an energy, so there's .

I'm not sure how the replayability/difficulty scaling is, or how much variety there is to gear and card choices, but for EA it's fairly promising.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Vadun posted:

This game is really great!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Yes, I've played it for 8.6 hours, in which I had 7 runs: 5 failed and 2 succesfull.

The good:
- Combat is quite enjoyable and I really enjoyed these 8 hours so far.
- For an early access game the extra's are quite okay: there are keyboard shortcuts, a run history, a "collection" listing all the cards and relics, etc.
- Different enemies do feel different to play against.

The bad:
- Honestly I don't think I will play it again until they've added way more content. I have the feeling I've seen everything the game has to offer so far.
- There are only 2 difficulty levels (I only played the harder difficulty). In my first win the difficulty was consistent, but in my second win the third stage felt like a complete victory lap.
- The game simply needs a lot more content. More relics and more cards in particular.

Overall I certainly don't regret buying it, the time I spent with it was really fun and I'll probably revisit it once they've added more content and difficulty levels.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

IronicDongz posted:

I think against the flow is literally always good and the downside might as well not exist

as long as you're not playing really slowly you have infinite ammo and magazines on all weapons are extended, sometimes to infinity
on the other hand, standing still on the higher difficulties is basically a death sentence, so for the most part you can only enable rock hard in situations that are already not dangerous, so who cares

I dunno, I feel like if you have any +RoF on a tiny mag size gun AtF does basically nothing or actively works against you if you're having to travel a bunch, especially for blue and yellow ammo. That said I haven't done the actual math for the breakpoint where it is actually always worth it to pick up.

As for standing still, there can be a couple of moments where you dip behind a rock and come out with extra damage for a few seconds, but for the most part I agree, at least it doesn't actually actively hurt you for not using it. At least it's no longer literally a joke scroll after the changes to it.

edit: just to clarify there have been a number of times where I'm like "ah! AtF, this should help." and then shortly after I regret the decision or can directly attribute to running out of ammo having it.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 21, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
TVRUHH appears to be a shmup with a health bar, never a good sign

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 21, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

TVRUHH appears to be a shmup with a health bar, which means it would take a miracle for it to not be garbage

As you start playing at higher levels most of your goals are score focused which necessitates taking no hits-- also your damage persists between fights and usually if you're opting to heal it's at the expense of skipping other bonuses that increase your damage output and therefore your time/score. Scoring well increases the difficulty rating of upcoming fights (each boss has like a dozen+ different difficulty variations on its bullet patterns) and the rewards along with it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, if you could see my face right now... Nova Drift crashed on me while I was in my best run, I got like twice as far as my second best. I think I was level 36 or so?
But it crashed, so no rewards and no high score. :/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

goferchan posted:

As you start playing at higher levels most of your goals are score focused which necessitates taking no hits-- also your damage persists between fights and usually if you're opting to heal it's at the expense of skipping other bonuses that increase your damage output and therefore your time/score. Scoring well increases the difficulty rating of upcoming fights (each boss has like a dozen+ different difficulty variations on its bullet patterns) and the rewards along with it

that's encouraging in that it suggests they're familiar with the genre -- much better than if it were a naive choice -- but then i have to wonder why they thought it was necessary at all. does the RNG spit out enemy layouts or something that sometimes make no-hit runs impossible?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's encouraging in that it suggests they're familiar with the genre -- much better than if it were a naive choice -- but then i have to wonder why they thought it was necessary at all. does the RNG spit out enemy layouts or something that sometimes make no-hit runs impossible?

To make it accessible to players like me who would never have played it without the health buffer and yet here I am months later, trying to achieve high scores.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any roguelikes that are inspired more of Touhou than other shmups? I liked touhou because it was more focused on movement than anything else. Games like Monolith aren't really the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are only bosses. And no patterns are unavoidable.