Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Where's the goshdarn map editor btw :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Feels like we're just playing an extended open beta at this point, with the missing features and the bugs.

I'll consider it a full release once we have a bug free mostly balanced ranked play and map editor available.

Shame they pushed it out like this because the game had an immense amount of attention around launch, with even high profile streamers like Lirik playing the game on stream.

For now the amount of active people on ladder is dropping steadily to around 44k having played ranked 1V1 games in the last month. SC2 in comparison still gets numbers over 300k even now, more than 10 years after releasing.

Good thing about RTS's is that they refuse to die because of the die hard boomer fanbase at its core. So once they get their poo poo together I expect AOE4 to have a long and healthy life. But people that think aoe4 is going to be the biggest RTS in the next decade need to adjust their expectations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
i dislike aoe4 because the lack of byzantines is offensive to my sensibilities

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mikojan posted:

For now the amount of active people on ladder is dropping steadily to around 44k having played ranked 1V1 games in the last month. SC2 in comparison still gets numbers over 300k even now, more than 10 years after releasing.
Where do you see SC2's numbers?

But yeah while SC2 is old now, it's still a very solid game, current league boundary/icon bugs notwithstanding. The graphics have generally aged pretty well, the UI is still top tier, and the overall balance is actually pretty much fine despite Blizzard's recent neglect.

Probably my biggest complaint is that while they bothered to add per-race MMR for 1v1, every time you start a new team it acts like you're a totally new thing. Masters 4v4 team with one new person swapped in? I've never met this team before in my life! Off to gold you go!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Cicero posted:

Where do you see SC2's numbers?

https://www.rankedftw.com/stats/population/1v1/#v=2&r=-2&sy=c&sx=a Is the site I usually check. Problem is blizzard is being a dick by not releasing numbers anymore for most of the world since last few months. So now it's only counting the 40k active in china. Last season that started in december supposedly peaked at 350k, which wasn't counting korea for the same dumbass reason only blizzards knows. Korea is estimated at around 60k or somesuch.

Just now noticed the "Blizzard obviously doesn't care anymore, nothing I can do. :-(" in the website header lmao

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mikojan posted:

https://www.rankedftw.com/stats/population/1v1/#v=2&r=-2&sy=c&sx=a Is the site I usually check. Problem is blizzard is being a dick by not releasing numbers anymore for most of the world since last few months. So now it's only counting the 40k active in china. Last season that started in december supposedly peaked at 350k, which wasn't counting korea for the same dumbass reason only blizzards knows. Korea is estimated at around 60k or somesuch.

Just now noticed the "Blizzard obviously doesn't care anymore, nothing I can do. :-(" in the website header lmao

Sounds like only a minority of us really wanted chat channels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_BVpyueqXY&t=33s

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Watching Geoff in anything just makes me so sad now :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought the tourneys had been slowing down on 2. Last I can remember was kotd which is a snorefest IMO

T90 and Dave have a thing going right now, "Wandering Warriors", which has been pretty good. Map pool's mostly nomad variants, which makes for messier games than normal.

Agreed on KotD, it's like the Final Destination No Items of AoE2. Two perfectly spherical players colliding in a white room.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hmu if yall want a more up to date thread title

Don't think the game deserves a new thread title at this stage. There are serious structural issues with in-game balance. I applaud Relic for their landmark system and trying to shake things up by diversifying the Civs but far too often, they are often railroaded down exactly one strategic path in many of the matchups in 1 v 1. There is often little choice in the selection of Landmarks. They are supposedly there to encourage diversity of builds and strategies but they are so unbalanced in that there is functionally no choice at all. There are many instances where there is a 0% pick rate for a landmark. Their water/hybrid map balance is also way out of whack. Right now, if there is any kind of water on the map, be it rivers or lakes, then dock builds are an automatic inclusion into any build. They effectively are 150 wood Town Centers in the Dark Age that can harvest the best food resource in the game. There is zero counterplay to dark age docks and on some maps, a single feudal age warship covering the closet ford shuts down any and all offense till castle age. These maps warp the metagame so much that AoE 4 effectively is 2 different games in 1. There is AoE 4 land maps, and AoE 4 water maps, with balance swinging wildly depending on which map type you are on vs which civ. Is your civ's main strategy vs your opponent dependent on early game pressure and map control but you spawned on a water map? GG, you are literally a 40% dog in some matchups because they get zoom past early game with an unpunishable early expansion and effectively train 2x resource gathers that starting in dark age - a move that is impossible to pull off on a land only map. This is before we even talk about how unbalanced water units are between civs.

The poster who said this was an early beta is right. This is exactly what it is. And it's a shame because a good game lies underneath all this garbage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even back in age of mythology you'd almost always pick one of the two options 99% of the time, but there are for sure some landmarks that need a total overhaul like Abbey of Kings with it's 0% pickrate that needs to be converted into a economy effect and Regnitz cathedral could use a overhaul just because it will always overshadow 5 free barracks and anything that could compete with it would be insanely strong to compete with +600 gold a minute, plus it overshadows their unique ability to hold relics in docks and defensive buildings.

They also need to do another pass at their maps, team game maps are too large, chokepoints are too numerous and don't change in size, danube and boulder bay can have terrible RNG or spawn teammates on the enemy side and Dry Arabia and similar maps are the only really good ones in the current map pool and it's a shame how they ruined a classic like Black Forest with loooong 3 tile lanes and don't have Oasis in the map pool.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Played a couple AoE2 comp stomps with my family, lost embarrassingly the first game when I forgot how to fast castle but otherwise had fun. I stopped playing about the time the first expansion for definitive came out, what's changed since then?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

StashAugustine posted:

Played a couple AoE2 comp stomps with my family, lost embarrassingly the first game when I forgot how to fast castle but otherwise had fun. I stopped playing about the time the first expansion for definitive came out, what's changed since then?

the AI is a lot better now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There's so many maps in AOE2 i've kinda lost track of them- what are good Arena-likes? We've been playing that since some of us are still very new but I don't quite like how featureless the central terrain is. Hillfort or Hideout seem like the best options?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Hillfort might feel a bit cramped, as your starting base is tiny and doesn't have many resources unless you venture outside of your moat.

Hideout is the closest alternative, aside from the palisade walls, you also start around the center with your "back" to your opponents, instead of on the edges, so you have to circle around to find the front of the base.

Fortress is also a thing, but I don't know if there are other arena-like maps outside of those, actually.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Black Forest and Amazon Tunnel are a bit different but can do the same "simple and approachable" thing Arena gives you for new players in my opinion.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Hideout sounds like what you're looking for. The palisade walls provide protection but are still week enough that you don't need seige to get through them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've softened a lot on arena over time. I think you get a lot more diverse army compositions and that's pretty rad

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Regardless of the issues with the game, I have jumped back in on AoE 4; 1 v 1 at least. Anyone wants to game, lmk.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've softened a lot on arena over time. I think you get a lot more diverse army compositions and that's pretty rad

Yeah I just don't like that the center is mostly a flat featureless plain

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I just don't like that the center is mostly a flat featureless plain

"Assume a spherical trebuchet in a vaccuum..."

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wouldn't want to only watch it, but it's definitely my favorite map to watch pro games of for this reason. You get to see armies that are actually interesting, and it's got climactic finishes far more regularly.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
For those still playing AoE 4 or still follow it at whatever distance you choose, just a shoutout to a great site. AoE4world basically takes all the games played in 1 v 1 and you can slice and dice the data any way you want. You can get win rates for specific civs, specific matchups, on which maps, at which elo brackets. Mongol win rate at 1600+ Elo is 60 percent!. Yikes

https://aoe4world.com/stats/civilizations

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Something big's happening probably with the update; there's 21 new hidden achivements

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The codename for the new AOE2 DLC is 'Porto'. I've seen some theories that it might have something to do with the Portuguese interactions with places like Kongo and Sri Lanka but other people have mentioned that the Devs are just using random words to throw people off the scent since the previous DLC had codenames stuff like 'Prague' which made it a bit too obvious what it was.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Apparently they use cities starting with B (Bucharest, Boston, etc) for AoE3 DLC and cities starting with P for AoE2 DLC.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Huh, just a server update. Well that was anticlimactic

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

oooof tough night

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Lots of great features in the AoE4 Ranked Preview, including but not limited to:

* A lot of new custom hotkeys (select all barracks/ranges/stables/any building)
* Rebindable ALT key (was previously locked behind rotate camera)
* Mouse Keys can be bound
* Global queue available (ctrl + shift + Q in game to toggle)
* Showing blacksmith upgrades in the unit panel like in AoE2 (e.g. 10 + 1)
* Exclusive control groups option
* Able to view full map after game ends
* Random Civ option
* Patrol

All in all, I'm having fun with it, the spring update looks like it's going to be great for the game.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Love it. Those are all solid things we missed from AoE2.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Fano posted:

Lots of great features in the AoE4 Ranked Preview, including but not limited to:

* A lot of new custom hotkeys (select all barracks/ranges/stables/any building)
* Rebindable ALT key (was previously locked behind rotate camera)
* Mouse Keys can be bound
* Global queue available (ctrl + shift + Q in game to toggle)
* Showing blacksmith upgrades in the unit panel like in AoE2 (e.g. 10 + 1)
* Exclusive control groups option
* Able to view full map after game ends
* Random Civ option
* Patrol

All in all, I'm having fun with it, the spring update looks like it's going to be great for the game.

Any rebalancing of water maps and docks?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There was mention about nerfing of fishing ships.

I'm personally hoping for map gen improvements to team games and a "no water maps please" toggle for quickplay

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

game is quickly approaching release quality

cant wait to random civ laddering

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

MikeC posted:

Any rebalancing of water maps and docks?

Nope, I'm loving the hew QoL stuff but I hope they have a more substantial gameplay changes coming with the spring update as well. They've mentioned siege nerfs and Abbasid buffs but I don't know if they've said anything about making changes to water gameplay outside of nerfing fishing ships some more

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Are there any good AoE 2 campaigns after age of kings or are they all 2 hour slogs?

I just tried Montezuma's 2nd mission and having to take out the two allies after accomplishing the main objectives is just so tedious. I was already at 50 minutes, when I got that objective I just quit. For all the complaints about AoE 4, the campaigns flow much better IMO.

Edit: I see this was a major topic in the last few pages. My bad, I thought this thread would've been more focused on 4 at this point. I'll give the Lithuanian campaign a whirl.

Starks fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 29, 2022

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Mikojan posted:

game is quickly approaching release quality

cant wait to random civ laddering

I wish they would have just delayed the game to have all these features in at launch.. Im still enjoying the game, but it would have helped with a lot of the (deserved) complaints about the game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Keegers posted:

I wish they would have just delayed the game to have all these features in at launch.. Im still enjoying the game, but it would have helped with a lot of the (deserved) complaints about the game.

Micro$oft gotta get its gamepass monies!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Keegers posted:

Nowadays companies rely on feedback so they release a game, see what players say, modify given the feedback and then do it all over again. It's really a way to save money in a sense, so that they don't spend time on stuff players don't care about but instead spend time on what players are telling them. If you buy the game at release, then you get to be part of this process but you pay full price. If you wait, then you may be able to get a more finished game on sale. Choices, choices.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Starks posted:

Are there any good AoE 2 campaigns after age of kings or are they all 2 hour slogs?

I just tried Montezuma's 2nd mission and having to take out the two allies after accomplishing the main objectives is just so tedious. I was already at 50 minutes, when I got that objective I just quit. For all the complaints about AoE 4, the campaigns flow much better IMO.

Edit: I see this was a major topic in the last few pages. My bad, I thought this thread would've been more focused on 4 at this point. I'll give the Lithuanian campaign a whirl.

There are a bunch of slow rear end missions but also don't forget if you're playing on fast (no idea if campaigns are played on fast or normal), 50 minutes is still only 25 irl. Generally, I think the campaigns have gotten better overall but some of the worst ones came later than sooner. Lake Poyang is terrible lol. Give us a real chinese campaign please

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Didn't there used to be a BO custom scenario for 28+2 FC into unique units? I cannot find it anymore and I think my variant (which I was certain was based on it) has strayed and I can't hit 650 stone with 4 miners unless I'm korean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone have advice for learning how and when to change what type of unit you make (for AOE2)? I feel like I'm okay at getting my initial army up and running but if someone makes a hard counter or has an army of their own then I just kinda flounder