Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I googled it and it sounds like portsmouth sinfonia hired a rock singer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I googled it and it sounds like portsmouth sinfonia hired a rock singer.

Yeah, it's wonderful. Beefheart did the vocals while the band was in another room, which is why the vocals sound like they aren't where they should be in the songs.

The thing is, it's meant to sound like that! They practiced a lot, despite the way it sounds there was no improvisation.

I absolutely get why a lot of people find it unlistenable though, it's chaos. It sounds silly & slapped together despite being the exact opposite. One of those albums that is probably made worse for people who hate it because the people who like it can't help but go on about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not my thing but it isn't any worse than anything else that's not my thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Trout Mask Replica is one of those albums I'm only very rarely in the mood to listen to.
On balance, I like it, but I haven't been someone to sit down and just listen to music for 20 years or so, and that feels like the sort of thing you need to do with TMR.

I probably need to buy more Beefheart, though, 'cos I really like Safe as Milk

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Got a little life hack for you all. If you don't have a bidet, a heinz ketchup bottle serves as a good surrogate, as their fancy cap produces a pretty powerful jet of water :)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Got a little life hack for you all. If you don't have a bidet, a heinz ketchup bottle serves as a good surrogate, as their fancy cap produces a pretty powerful jet of water :)

Some may feel this is just a step away from keeping a turd knife, but as someone who handles two small people's poo on a daily basis I simply applaud the creativity

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There's a bunch of books basically titled "HITLER" because annoyingly a lot of people seem to like writing about him.

I would expect it's some pop history thing.

Could conceivably be:

Subtitling your book on Hitler "Hubris" is making all the hairs on my neck stand up. As if all his motivations were fine and he just got a bit over confident.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does hubris carry that suggestion? I generally thought that hubris was "you shouldn't want this to begin with and that you do is a sign of your ego being too big" kind of thing.

I probably wouldn't agree with a lot of cases where that is applied but I thought that was the suggestion, that you're too big for your boots by half.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1484111627066781696?s=20

*screams into the void*

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/ghoullitine/status/1484254340692983821?t=SVRs4twhxexRBvfZkWXtug&s=19

They're just saying it now. We're back to Red Team VS Blue Team and who cares about political consistency, policies or anything else. The Sensible Centre are back in the stands with their half-and-half scarves, cheering for the referee, and all is right with the world.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

ThomasPaine posted:

I'd just give him one honestly, gently caress employers. Speaking of which if anyone needs a reference I'm more than happy to pretend I used to be your boss and sing your praises to high heaven. We should normalise this behavior.

Most employers would never give any actual details of performance in a reference, and only confirm the job title and dates that a person worked there. Saying anything negative in a reference opens you up to potential legal trouble so it's not worth ever risking that. The main purpose of a reference is to confirm with a 3rd party that you just haven't wholesale made up your work history. I would also doubt many companies would bother checking references unless you've already been offered a position (why would you take time to check the references of heaps of people you aren't going to offer a job) so a positive reference wouldn't even be helpful in most circumstances.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Prole posted:

They're just saying it now. We're back to Red Team VS Blue Team and who cares about political consistency, policies or anything else. The Sensible Centre are back in the stands with their half-and-half scarves, cheering for the referee, and all is right with the world.

Instead of cheering for the blue or the red, Why not unite? Nika!!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Does hubris carry that suggestion? I generally thought that hubris was "you shouldn't want this to begin with and that you do is a sign of your ego being too big" kind of thing.

I probably wouldn't agree with a lot of cases where that is applied but I thought that was the suggestion, that you're too big for your boots by half.
Definitely on the big-for-boots thing, but I don't see it as carrying any other moral judgement, which I guess is the problem. Like you can want good things but be self-destructively overconfident about your ability to get them.

Not sure if many publishers would go for a book called "HITLER: A Big oval office" tho

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Possibly, but it's still very much the wrong lesson to take from Hitler

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

Not sure if many publishers would go for a book called "HITLER: A Big oval office" tho

This explains why my nazi-themed reverse-birth erotic fanfic never got picked up.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

o yeh for sure it was the title that was the problem

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's no way that erotica wouldn't be a huge success

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Trout Mask Replica is one of those albums I'm only very rarely in the mood to listen to.
On balance, I like it, but I haven't been someone to sit down and just listen to music for 20 years or so, and that feels like the sort of thing you need to do with TMR.

I probably need to buy more Beefheart, though, 'cos I really like Safe as Milk

Spotlight Kid is a way more approachable blues record while still having a bit of that Beefheart oddness.

You're right about TMR though, deffo an album that works as a whole and benefits from being listened to in one sitting

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Threadmates, what's the correct procedure if we've accidentally accepted a package addressed to the former owners of our flat? We get a lot of their post and I normally just put RETURN TO SENDER on it and bung it back in the post, but this is a reasonably large book-sized thing that won't fit in a postbox.

My inclination is to hold onto it for a week or two in case they drive over and ask for it (I have no idea where they moved to, and we have no contact details for them) and then… bin it, I guess? Which doesn't feel great, but on the other hand I'm not massively sympathetic to somebody who's still ordering things to the wrong address over a year after moving out.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Keep a hold of it, they might collect it.

Unless there's the possibility that it's weed, in which case open it and deny knowledge of its receipt.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

TACD posted:

Threadmates, what's the correct procedure if we've accidentally accepted a package addressed to the former owners of our flat? We get a lot of their post and I normally just put RETURN TO SENDER on it and bung it back in the post, but this is a reasonably large book-sized thing that won't fit in a postbox.

My inclination is to hold onto it for a week or two in case they drive over and ask for it (I have no idea where they moved to, and we have no contact details for them) and then… bin it, I guess? Which doesn't feel great, but on the other hand I'm not massively sympathetic to somebody who's still ordering things to the wrong address over a year after moving out.

If you're feeling generous, you could try calling the sending company and explaining the situation? They might be able to email them.

Edit: unlreated to the above since I realised when I got the delivery confirmation email, but last year I managed to get a huge H+M order delivered to my old work, which I left well over a year before. Luckily the receptionist remembered me but I was really scared I'd bump into my old boss when I went to collect it.

We still occasionally get letters for the previous owners of our house and we've lived here 7 years.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hold on to it for 6 months until you're sure nobody is going to come and pick it up, then open it and enjoy your new 4tb harddrive.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
They didn't leave you a forwarding address?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

It's possible a gift someone is sending them who doesn't know/remember they've moved or a post-redirection fail.
If you live near a sorting office, maybe take it there and get them to 'return to sender' - or a post office. Or maybe if you catch the post person, give it to them?
I wouldn't bin it.

Ed: I'm receiving mail forwarded from my mum's old address until she finds a new home and that includes one of my adult nephews. Post is coming for him from one firm - a firm of lawyers - even though they HAVE his new address!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 21, 2022

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Subtitling your book on Hitler "Hubris" is making all the hairs on my neck stand up. As if all his motivations were fine and he just got a bit over confident.

It's intended as a reference to Greek tragedy, I think. That's part 1, "Hubris", that goes up to 1936. Part 2, which presumably would cover 1937 - 45, I'd imagine will be entitled: "Nemesis".

(In Greek tragedy, arrogance and over-reach - Hubris - is inevitably followed by crushing catastrophe for the protaganist - Nemesis.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's intended as a reference to Greek tragedy, I think. That's part 1, "Hubris", that goes up to 1936. Part 2, which presumably would cover 1937 - 45, I'd imagine will be entitled: "Nemesis".

(In Greek tragedy, arrogance and over-reach - Hubris - is inevitably followed by crushing catastrophe for the protaganist - Nemesis.)

A quick Amazon search tells me you're correct, except it's 1936-45. Presumably volume 1 ends with the Berlin Olympics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It has been proven that tories can literally have "The Racist Curve by J. Arthur Klansman, vol I (the Black, a type of Lemur) through XVII (the Irishman, a type of Black)" prominently displayed on their bookshelf and the press will fall over themselves to explain why it's important to expose yourself to a wide range of views and simply displaying them in order right underneath an old colonial flag and a signed picture of your mum meeting Ian Smith doesn't mean anything.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I hope you washed it out thoroughly beforehand ;p

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's all a trick, he's getting us on board and then replacing them with squeezy bottles full of beans. :sickos:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It ain't beans but as long as it's still Heinz.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Now I'm never gonna be able to imagine Stalin as anyone but Brick Top Tony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocAU7nW3D8

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

It has been proven that tories can literally have "The Racist Curve by J. Arthur Klansman, vol I (the Black, a type of Lemur) through XVII (the Irishman, a type of Black)" prominently displayed on their bookshelf and the press will fall over themselves to explain why it's important to expose yourself to a wide range of views and simply displaying them in order right underneath an old colonial flag and a signed picture of your mum meeting Ian Smith doesn't mean anything.
The annoying thing about this is that Corbyn legit shouldn't have written the foreword to that Hobson book (or at least should have highlighted the obvious racism)

e: there's a step missing in my reasoning from Guava's post->the above, I'm sure u can fill it in

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Maugrim posted:

Some may feel this is just a step away from keeping a turd knife,

Just don't confuse it with your nutella knife

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

They didn't leave you a forwarding address?
Nope, lol

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's possible a gift someone is sending them who doesn't know/remember they've moved or a post-redirection fail.
If you live near a sorting office, maybe take it there and get them to 'return to sender' - or a post office. Or maybe if you catch the post person, give it to them?
I wouldn't bin it.
Hm that’s a fair point, hadn’t considered that. I’ll definitely hold onto it anyway, have no idea how long it’ll be before I’m near a post office again though

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TACD posted:

If you have no forwarding address and you've been in the property for a while I'd just open it and have whatever's inside tbh. They'll get refunded and you get a free surprise gift.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

What the hell is psychodrama supposed to mean anyway?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

Psychological drama. Wikipedia lists famous filmmakers who dabble in the genre as PT Anderson, Tarkovsky, Charlie Kaufman & Darren Aronofsky

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In this context, it's "airing your dirty laundry" but phrased as if you've read the cliffs notes for a bunch of Edwardian cocaine addicts and are therefore smart.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Mebh posted:

Well, there is a dictionary definition, but I think in this case it's being repurposed to mean "internal drama that is now externalised" i.e. making your problems everyone else's. For example, Brexit from end-to-end was entirely a result of Tory party cowardice, hubris and incompetence (the vote wasn't supposed to succeed, remember), and now we all have to live with the consequences of their internal failures.

Who had Meat Loaf in their deadpool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mebh posted:

It's a therapy term for using role play to work through deep seeded issues. Which seems apt in relation to the Tories because all of their party disputes are mainly performative.