Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bowmore posted:

What other windows handhelds are currently out there?

GPD win series
Aya neo
Steam deck
One xplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve really gave the competition a big leg up by delaying the steam deck

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m actually disappointed that my 552 doesn’t have 5ghz wifi.

The biggest issue I have with it right now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m actually disappointed that my 552 doesn’t have 5ghz wifi.

The biggest issue I have with it right now.

Yeah that seems like a mis-step, especially with how important it is for game streaming.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve really gave the competition a big leg up by delaying the steam deck

I don't think they gave them that much of a leg up, a poo poo load of people will buy it regardless

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The United States posted:

Man sits in chair and complains about mostly Android stuff regarding the Retroid Pocket 2+ for 23 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atkvB0BdmI8

Yes the image is right in the written guide

https://retrogamecorps.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/rp2.004.png?w=1024

I’m a moron for not just looking :negative:

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD

uiruki posted:

The default SNES core runs at the actual SNES refresh rate which is a little over the screen refresh rate, so you'll get the odd hitch on 351ELEC. One of the earlier ones does haul the whole thing back to the screen refresh but I can't remember which off the top of my head - you can change it in the game/machine specific options in the front end.

Tried a few and one was dramatically better than the others. Thank you!

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

SNOT CORN posted:

Did they cancel this or something? Looks like it's disappeared from their site.

For anyone who cares, I reached out to the Experimental Pi people about the release date confusion and this is what I got:

Experimental Pi posted:

Unfortunately, the release date has been pushed back and we do not have a new date yet. We have an extremely difficult time getting components for manufacture and shipping times have been delayed repeatedly. We apologize for this delay.

Sad, I really like the DMG in concept but the form-factor really doesn't work long-term for these hands

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone here have any experience with, or info on, the Adam firmware for the rg350?

I currently have the Rogue firmware installed but someone mentioned in the retro games thread that the Adam custom firmware is the new deal.

Does anyone here use it? Is it good? Battery life any better or worse? Is there finally a sleep mode?

Most importantly how do I install it without wiping out all my emulators and programs? The guide says you need to format the main sd card before you can update to Adam.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with, or info on, the Adam firmware for the rg350?

I currently have the Rogue firmware installed but someone mentioned in the retro games thread that the Adam custom firmware is the new deal.

Does anyone here use it? Is it good? Battery life any better or worse? Is there finally a sleep mode?

Most importantly how do I install it without wiping out all my emulators and programs? The guide says you need to format the main sd card before you can update to Adam.

I have no personal experience with Adam, but Russ from RGC had good things to say about it and imo his reviews and opinions are the best ones.

As for your follow-up question, you'd have to wipe your sdcard and flash the Adam image. Your best bet is to either backup your current sdcard data on a hard drive, or better yet, use a different sdcard you can swap between.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I have no personal experience with Adam, but Russ from RGC had good things to say about it and imo his reviews and opinions are the best ones.

As for your follow-up question, you'd have to wipe your sdcard and flash the Adam image. Your best bet is to either backup your current sdcard data on a hard drive, or better yet, use a different sdcard you can swap between.

That's a really good idea and I am glad you said it because I ended up hating the Adam CFW and it would have sucked having to go back.

Seriously it looks like an old KODI menu from 2007 and has only like 5 options when you turn the system on. Unless I am missing something like Adam increasing the CPU frequency or something I am not sure why anyone would use it. I went from having like 20 different system apps in Rogue to maybe a clock in Adam. I definitely do not personally recommend using it over Rogue. Just my two cents.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

That's a really good idea and I am glad you said it because I ended up hating the Adam CFW and it would have sucked having to go back.

Seriously it looks like an old KODI menu from 2007 and has only like 5 options when you turn the system on. Unless I am missing something like Adam increasing the CPU frequency or something I am not sure why anyone would use it. I went from having like 20 different system apps in Rogue to maybe a clock in Adam. I definitely do not personally recommend using it over Rogue. Just my two cents.

The appeal of Adam is that it's stable, incredibly simple to use, fast to navigate your games and make them look decent in the process, and comes with all the emulators set up to look and run their best out of the box (as opposed to being stretched bilinear-filtered messes by default). If having 20 system apps on an RG350 is important to you (for what?), it's clearly not the image for you, but most people who buy these things see tinkering as a necessary evil, not a core part of the fun, so the Adam image gets them to the main event faster.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

For the short time I used it on the RG350, Adam seemed... fine. Nothing particularly fancy, but it does what it needs to with no fuss.

Of course, I upgraded to Adam from the stock firmware so just about anything would've been an upgrade.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

When I had an RG280M, I liked Adam a lot, because it was pretty close to plug and play. Most of the stock apps seemed pretty useless to me outside of PyBackup and Commander, and those are still in Adam. You can still run the ports, they just go in the ports folder. You can still add your own wallpapers by adding them to the folder and change UI settings by hitting select. I would not be shocked if you could re-add the apps to the “apps and ports” section if you really wanted them. I never used Rogue because it just looks like a reskin of the OpenDingux front end that the device came with, so maybe I’m missing something that makes it great.

I def fall into the “tinkering is a necessary evil” camp but I know other people enjoy it. I just appreciated that someone saved me the time of setting up hotkeys and aspect ratios and etc.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

has anyone had an x20 mini?
I am considering getting one to play through a few SNES and gameboy games.
Whatever I pick up will eventually be given to my kids when my analogue pocket shows up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can still use the old dingux menu on Adam too, but hey, you go with what you like in the end, that's the fun of these things

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Got an RP2+ two days ago, after realizing I forgot an SD card and having to wait a day for it, spent yesterday afternoon getting everything set up and it's working great :woop:

...Except it just developed some joystick drift :( It's not bad, but since I've literally had it for two days (and only been using it for one) I assume it'll get worse with time. I tried recalibrating but no dice. Any suggestions for fixes beyond replacing the entire stick itself? I'll shoot retroid an email and see if they are willing to help me out.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Installed the 60 fps Mario 64 port on my anbernic and it looks extraordinary :stare:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still use the old dingux menu on Adam too,

Do you know how to switch to that? I'd be way more willing to give it a try.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 24, 2022

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Do you know how to switch to that? I'd be way more willing to give it a try.

In the settings screen for SimpleMenu, turn off default launcher (I think it’s called), then the “Shutdown” option changes to “Quit”. Adam is just a nicely configured OpenDingux install set to boot straight into SimpleMenu, it’s not a drastically different OS.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah just go with what you like best, it’s your device to customize and play with. There’s no reason to use the SimpleMenu front end if you hate it. Sorry, I kinda feel like maybe I was being a jerkass.

On a side note, I’ve beaten 5 games on my 351V over the last month. It fits my hands really well. I kinda want to get some cranberry colored buttons from SakuraRetroMods to complete the DMG look.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Froist posted:

In the settings screen for SimpleMenu, turn off default launcher (I think it’s called), then the “Shutdown” option changes to “Quit”. Adam is just a nicely configured OpenDingux install set to boot straight into SimpleMenu, it’s not a drastically different OS.

Yeah that's all you have to do. It even has a separate retroarch category in the 2x menu to directly launch a specific core, with the file picker defaulting to that systems' folder, it's pretty good!

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
The cap on the right thumb stick of my RP2+ keeps coming off. Guess I'll throw some super glue on it :downs:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I emailed Retroid about the joystick drift, and they sent me this spreadsheet documenting planned changes in the next update, including the ability to set a joystick deadzone system-wide to address the problem of drift:

Not a perfect solution, but hey at least they're aware it's a problem and this will more or less do the trick, unless the drift gets reeeaaal bad, but even my og joycons probably aren't so bad that a little deadzone wouldn't solve them.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I knew this poo poo would happen when everybody started using those goddamn Nintendo switch analog sticks

At least you can buy replacement kits for cheap

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

flavor.flv posted:

I knew this poo poo would happen when everybody started using those goddamn Nintendo switch analog sticks

At least you can buy replacement kits for cheap

Supposedly the RP2+ uses only the stick itself from the switch, and the actual internal controls are that of the Vita, which I don't recall as having regular drift problems. And yeah, it is nice you can buy cheapo replacement kits, but it seems there's no real way to open up the RP2+ without breaking the plastic connectors, and while it does have screws that hold everything together apparently you can't get both halves of the shell to sit nice and flush if you open it up.

Anyways, Odin is apparently shipping finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDxi4wZkTLE

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Biggest culprit behind stick drift in recent times are clickable sticks, which the Vita didn't have (though it was still susceptible to drift, if enough gunk got in).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

People have started to get their Odin's so expect to see quite a few more videos over the next few. Some rumors of quality issues but overall the performance seems pretty great.

Still way out of impulse buy range for me right now though.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I can’t remember if this was the thread where I read about it, but I’m pretty impressed with the 60fps port of Super Mario 64 on the RG351V. Look it up it you have one!

Are there other native ports like this out there, other than the Anberports stuff?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

Are there other native ports like this out there, other than the Anberports stuff?

Do not use anberports, they haven't been updated in ages and many of them never really worked. Use Portmaster.

Portmaster has everything I know about besides Mario 64, but there's a *lot* there. I stopped trying to keep up with all of them and have them all running months ago.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the names don't always make it clear what game it is. Like, how would you know "SDLPoP" is Prince of Persia or "Reminiscence" is Flashback unless you were already familiar with those projects? But if you install and run Portmaster.zip first, and just use that, it does explain what each thing is when you select it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 26, 2022

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

After following these cool little consoles on and off for the last several months, I drunk-bought a RP 2+ over the weekend. I didn't realize at the time that it was a pre-order that supposedly won't ship for 37 days. Is that accurate? Also, I bought the cheap shipping, so it's going to take even longer. Does anyone know if their timeline for fulfillment is accurate? And how much longer does the cheapo shipping take? I guess worst case I'll have a nice surprise out of the blue in late March/early April.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I bought mine around December 27, arrived January 19. I shelled out a bit more for shipping though, so it could be longer.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Prof. Banks posted:

After following these cool little consoles on and off for the last several months, I drunk-bought a RP 2+ over the weekend. I didn't realize at the time that it was a pre-order that supposedly won't ship for 37 days. Is that accurate? Also, I bought the cheap shipping, so it's going to take even longer. Does anyone know if their timeline for fulfillment is accurate? And how much longer does the cheapo shipping take? I guess worst case I'll have a nice surprise out of the blue in late March/early April.

reddit has a spreadsheet that documents shipping times to various locations. TLDR the average time from order to delivery is 42 days Average time from order to shipping is 32 days, and average shipping time for 4PX is 11 days. I think you can email their support to ask to change shipping methods for an additional charge? DHL average shipping time appears to be 5 days, according to the spreadsheet.

Personally, mine arrived 31 days after ordering, using the cheaper shipping and getting it delivered to Nevada.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 26, 2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Do any goons have a Polymega in hand? I have a couple of questions.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I also impulse bought a RP2+ because I wanted better 64/dc performance than the rg351 is pulling and I’ve been trying very hard to forget I ordered it for the last 10 days.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

That's a nice spreadsheet. I guess I need to try to put it out of my head for a while. It's hard, I keep finding myself thinking how nice it would be to sit back on the couch and play an old game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You can't force it. It will arrive the day after you forget you ordered it, which means you won't forget you ordered it until the day before it arrives

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

You can't force it. It will arrive the day after you forget you ordered it, which means you won't forget you ordered it until the day before it arrives

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The Ayn Odin has been shipping, so expect a bunch of reviews showing up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViCA--Wi26s