Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I had a kind of revelation this evening, thinking about the bikes I like. They're all mainly all firmly in the "looks good, mostly useless" camp, and I fret about not really being able to use them for multi day touring. But then I was thinking about those awesome photos of like, a lamborghini rocking a Thule roof box bombing up a snowy mountain road, or carrying a Christmas tree on the roof (don't remember if that was a lamborghini or somthing else) or a 911 with ski racks, and I think about how extra badass those cars are. And then thinking about bikes, like a heavily laden CB1100XX super blackbird is pretty much the coolest touring bike out there. So the idea of a Monster with a rack and a topbox, like yeah it might ruin the aesthetic , but it creates a whole new aesthetic that's a lot more badass. I don't need to keep wondering about ugly dadbike ADVs. I can make an ugly dadbike out of anything, and do it on my own terms.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Finger Prince posted:

I had a kind of revelation this evening, thinking about the bikes I like. They're all mainly all firmly in the "looks good, mostly useless" camp, and I fret about not really being able to use them for multi day touring. But then I was thinking about those awesome photos of like, a lamborghini rocking a Thule roof box bombing up a snowy mountain road, or carrying a Christmas tree on the roof (don't remember if that was a lamborghini or somthing else) or a 911 with ski racks, and I think about how extra badass those cars are. And then thinking about bikes, like a heavily laden CB1100XX super blackbird is pretty much the coolest touring bike out there. So the idea of a Monster with a rack and a topbox, like yeah it might ruin the aesthetic , but it creates a whole new aesthetic that's a lot more badass. I don't need to keep wondering about ugly dadbike ADVs. I can make an ugly dadbike out of anything, and do it on my own terms.

Amen, so say we all

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Lol I've toured on every bike I've ever owned. Just use soft luggage, take it off when you get where you're going, then go for a scratch on what feels like a completely new bike. Would you rather have a bike that's a bit crap on the boring bits of a long journey but great on the fun bits, or just a bike that's a bit less crap on the boring bits but also crap on the fun bits?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol I've toured on every bike I've ever owned. Just use soft luggage, take it off when you get where you're going, then go for a scratch on what feels like a completely new bike. Would you rather have a bike that's a bit crap on the boring bits of a long journey but great on the fun bits, or just a bike that's a bit less crap on the boring bits but also crap on the fun bits?

I mean, I did a multi day on a street triple R and my only complaint was that after 3 days my legs were feeling pretty badly cramped up. A bike like that with more legroom would be ideal, which is why I have high hopes for the MT09. Other than the leg thing, the striple was actually more comfortable than the Africa Twin I rode.
I've never ridden a monster, I figure it's more like the striple in ergos, there's a 796 I plan to test ride to find out. There's also a tuono 1000 with the rotax twin that's been for sale forever but I don't know if I want to subject myself to that kind of experience this far from Italy. Anyway these are musings for the tell me what bike to buy thread. It's going to be nice this weekend so I'm going to find something to ride somewhere. Spring is coming and so are the used bikes. I'm sure I'll find something cool.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A friend of mine really loves his S1000R and does lots of euro road trips on it. Relaxed ergos compared to the RR, slightly less mental amount of power. I haven't had a go but looks like a great Tuono alternative.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah! Tour on a sport bike. It’s good fun and a lot of us have done it.

I will say that the appeal of a touring bike isn’t how well it handles compared to a sport bike (they aren’t comparable), it’s how it feels over long distances.

I once rode around the borders of Wisconsin on a GSXR600 and I needed to stop basically every 100 miles or so in the beginning and by the end it was pure torture

But that being said. It was cool and fun for the most part and it’s definitely an experience I won’t forget

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Booked a enduro training for may because I get a frequent customer discount and public subsidy for one motorcycle course per year.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sport bike touring is great.

That was an awesome trip.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So what was the 145 bpm moment?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dehydration?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
saw a taco stand.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Trying to squeeze pee out of a numb prostate balls

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

same

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dema posted:

That was an awesome trip.

What app is this? The heart rate and cadence makes me think you’re repurposing a workout app as a ride tracker?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What app is this? The heart rate and cadence makes me think you’re repurposing a workout app as a ride tracker?
its strava. i put my moto rides on as "inline skates" and i also dont make them public because uhhhh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Inline skate (only one) is accurate imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol at the strava database storing 2,000 mile plus inline skating sessions that hit highway speed

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Gotta go with Garmin if you want any more fun activities:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Which do y’all prefer, offshore or onshore grinding?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

How does offshore grinding differ from onshore grinding? Is it the motion of the ocean?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I use Strava for my dirt bike rides, but I choose ebike as activity.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
When I tracked my rides I had a different sport profile pr bike so I could see proper milage pr bike. Now I just check my maintainance spreadsheet.
It's nice to have that digital.

I think this has been up for discussion before, but was there any ride trackers that has a "send send email/message to certain people with a tracker link when you start riding"?
I want that and turn off any default social share your ride crap. only info to specific users.

Now I use a separate gps app (glympse express) for this, but I dont bother to run that and also a "normal" where you have ridden tracker.
I just use it when I ride solo for weekend rides so my brother/dad will maybe see if I lie dead in a ditch somewhere along some obscure norwegian mountain road.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Rolo posted:

So what was the 145 bpm moment?

Was recorded with a Garmin Fenix 5. The optical HR really wasn't great on that watch.

edit; I just checked and I was off the bike at the time. Top of Sonora Pass. Probably ran into the woods to go water a tree.

numberoneposter posted:

its strava. i put my moto rides on as "inline skates" and i also dont make them public because uhhhh.

Right. For sure did not make that public. Notice I photoshopped out the max speed. Did a few pulls in middle of nowhere Nevada and hit some high numbers. Could have gone way faster but with the tank bag, I couldn't properly get behind the wind screen. Crazy buffeting. Was wild how what looked like an impossibly long and straight stretch of road would just evaporate.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 21, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Not directly motorcycle related, but some neat news. A company has come up with a battery system with twice the energy density of whatever Tesla is using, cramming 200 kWh into the same volume as the car's stock 100 kWh pack, and getting twice the range. And they actually did it, too, driving the car around to prove it -- not just some lab test.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/one-gemini-battery-tesla-model-s-range-test/

They say they'll have engineering samples of the new system on the market next year. Considering that current electric bikes are presumably using technology similar to whatever is in a Tesla, that bodes well for the future. 200 miles range on a motorcycle feels a hell of a lot more useful than 100.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 21, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Seems like unscalable vaporware screaming "cash flushed EV company plz buy us".

I hope I'm wrong.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it's hand-wavy even in the slightest, it's bullshit.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I would assume they are not using hard cells but more fragile soft packs and probably have reduced/no cooling and therefore a massively lower limit on permitable current draw. I doubt they somehow have a "twice as effective" technology.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SEKCobra posted:

I would assume they are not using hard cells but more fragile soft packs and probably have reduced/no cooling and therefore a massively lower limit on permitable current draw. I doubt they somehow have a "twice as effective" technology.

That’s what people said about the printing press and the iPhone too. :smug:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Aren't most automotive Li-based battery packs just a shitload of 18650 cells strung together with some sort of charge management system, encased in a big fuckoff aluminum enclosure and possibly some active cooling? I didn't think Tesla was really doing anything different there except packaging and some marketing woo

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jazzzzz posted:

Aren't most automotive Li-based battery packs just a shitload of 18650 cells strung together with some sort of charge management system, encased in a big fuckoff aluminum enclosure and possibly some active cooling? I didn't think Tesla was really doing anything different there except packaging and some marketing woo

Nah, the part tesla does differently is this:

Jazzzzz posted:

just a shitload of 18650 cells strung together

Real Other car makers use prismatic/pouch cells.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. That's why top boxes rule and why my hawk GT with a top box rules. In Italy every bike had a top box, even the Panigales, and it ruled.

"it ruins the natural lines" ~some idiot who has to take a car to run errands or commute

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 25, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hard disagree. Get saddlebags and a backpack and a rack for a tailbag, but don't get a topbox.

Topboxen are hideous.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Wearing a backpack for hours and hours during long rides sucks. Whatever luggage you gotta get, it’s all awesome because it’s attached to a motorcycle! Motorcycles are cool and fun. Thanks for listening.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jcam posted:

Wearing a backpack for hours and hours during long rides sucks.

I'm down with luggage racks (top or sides) but if you're wearing a backpack, loosen the straps until it's partially "sitting" on the pillion seat, that takes a lot of the weight off.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

When i'm wearing a backpack and there's something hard in it like a thermos or an old camera, i'm always a bit scared of the idea of falling off my bike, and then breaking my spine on whatever is in my backpack.

I usually put my backpack under one of those luggage nets you can strap to your buddy seat for that reason.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Love to bungee cord pizzas to the pillion.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yeah, top boxes are the best. I think my favorite topbox memory is riding with my then girlfriend to my mom's house to make tamales, and then packing the box full of tamales and riding back home.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
On behalf of my progressively more-hosed left shoulder, please don't wear conventional backpacks on a motorcycle. A hard object in the bag won't break your spine (assuming you're already wearing a back protector) but a normal rucksack *will* catch on the ground and transmit that load directly into your shoulder and then you've got a fun few decades of random muscle spasms, joint freezes, and general impossible-to-cure fuckery. At the very least get a Kriega or similar bag where there's a substantial chest piece to keep the straps high up, and the straps themselves are wide and flat to spread any shock loading properly.

(I can't be 100% sure my persistent shoulder problems are due to a low-speed crash I had in 2005 but I do remember thinking like a month after a crash not even violent enough to damage my jeans "Holy poo poo, why can I *still* feel where that strap was?" and a year after that having to spend months in physio so I could scratch my back without my entire left side feeling like I was being tazered)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Maybe MSF can do a study on the safety of milk crates in a crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

I usually put my backpack under one of those luggage nets you can strap to your buddy seat for that reason.
Yeah same. I just hate the feel of something on my back when I'm riding.