Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Austen Tassletine posted:

Or even better, if you can get away with it where you are, lower it beneath your nose. Makes it significantly more comfortable and bearable to to use.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Try to loosen the mask all around the face so that your breath escapes away from your specs. Or even better, if you can get away with it where you are, lower it beneath your nose. Makes it significantly more comfortable and bearable to to use.

I hate you even if this is a joke. Satire died in 2016.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I take psychic damage every time a patient comes in wearing one of these bad boys. Luckily none of them have been mine to deal with.

Re: KN95 usage and longevity, I keep 6 in the back seat of my car in bags labeled for each day of the week, which gives them about a month and a half lifespan. But I also bought a shitton earlier this summer.

I continue to not take my mask off indoors at work, even if this means I must frantically chug microwaved soup in freezing temperatures before masking back up to finish the rest of my break inside. One of the unvaxxed who just returned from being sick said something about how they'd been so careful over the holidays and still managed to get it, and that everyone will get it eventually, and then asked if I'd gotten it yet. I awkwardly told them no.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So over here in Ireland, it looks like we're going to be lifting nearly all restrictions in the near future.

quote:

All restrictions on hospitality can be lifted, including the need for Covid certificates to enter pubs and restaurants, while live events and sports stadiums can return to full capacity.
Even nightclubs will be allowed to open again following the recommendations.Chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan’s team only advised that masks should still be required in shops and on public transport, and the also advised that returning to offices should be done on a phased basis.
Nphet has not provided any specific end date for when masks will no longer be required or any changes to the current rules for close contacts.
They also advised that measures in schools should remain until all eligible children have had the opportunity to take a full course of the vaccine.
https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...o-41262943.html

NPHET = National Public Health Emergency Team.

Honestly, it's more than a bit puzzling since NPHET have consistently taken a very cautious approach with their recommendations, largely because our hospitals cannot cope with anything like a major surge. I'm hoping that's it's not largely politically driven but based on solid medical evidence that omicron doesn't pose as much of a threat as feared.
Just after Christmas we'd a HUUUUGE omicron surge - at the peak we had nearly 30,000 (PCR only) positive tests a day and a positivity rate of over 55%, so the true number of cases is estimated to have been between 60-80,000 per day. That's dropped to around 10,000 positive tests (PCR plus reported postives on antigen*) per day and a positivity of 37%. This is in a total population of 5 million people.

Absolutely enormous numbers, but hospitalizations + ICU cases held pretty steady throughout the surge, and I've heard some source say that the majority of those hospitalized had Delta. More than half of those in ICU were either not vaccinated, or only had 1 dose of a two dose vaccine.

Ireland is very heavily vaccinated (94.5%, plus half of adults are boosted) apart from kids under 12, who have only just started getting vaccinated, so hopefully that'll keep things from exploding again.

*when PCR testing got overwhelmed, they restricted them to people over 40. Under 40, you'd to use home antigen tests and report online if you popped a positive.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

coronatae posted:

I take psychic damage every time a patient comes in wearing one of these bad boys. Luckily none of them have been mine to deal with.

I see a few of these in the grocery store I go to, it's basically just mocking the concept of a mask:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CoMiracle-10-Pcs-Clear-Face-Mask-Smile-Transparent-Shields-Reusable-Anti-fog-Shields-Upgraded-Version/251799225

best review:

quote:

Effective to squash pandemic IF taking Ivermectin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Those chin mask things were extremely popular in Japan and SE Asia. I really don't get it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol manufacturing that poo poo should be illegal

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The chin-only shields fog so bad if your chin architecture is just right. It's embarrassing.

They were used in some Japanese restaurant chains previous to the pandemic. Now the same chains use surgical masks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Those transparent face shields remind me of my theory that the reason a certain type of right-winger is so vehemently anti-mask is that hiding their expensive cosmetic dentistry makes it really obvious just how fake their smiles (and associated "I'm just an aw-shucks down-home regular person" schtick) actually are. If someone's genuinely smiling it's blatantly obvious even with their entire lower face covered, but these people haven't genuinely smiled at anything in their entire loving lives.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’ve been making big dramatic gestures with my eyes when smiling like, at work when saying HELLO to an important person/client etc

probably makes me look mildly schizophrenic which I might just be after the last couple years

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

naem posted:

I’ve been making big dramatic gestures with my eyes when smiling like, at work when saying HELLO to an important person/client etc

probably makes me look mildly schizophrenic which I might just be after the last couple years

I wanna be reading retrospectives on the plague years a century from now. There's gotta be a ton of repercussions we haven't even thought of yet.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that saying that a kid aged 0-4 has a 50-60% chance of being sick enough from omicron to require a stay in hospital?

No, I heard in NY they showed it was 1 out of 100,000 for kids to be hospitalized with omicron.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

No, I heard in NY they showed it was 1 out of 100,000 for kids to be hospitalized with omicron.

from NY times:

More than four in 100,000 children aged 4 years or younger admitted to hospitals were infected with the coronavirus as of Jan. 1 — double the rate reported a month ago, and about three times the rate this time last year.

By contrast, the rate of hospitalized children aged 5 through 11 years who were infected was 0.6 per 100,000, roughly the same rate seen over the past months.

Children infected with the variant are still at much less risk of becoming severely ill than adults, and even young children seem less likely to need ventilators than those admitted during previous surges, experts said.

“We have not yet seen a signal that there is any increased severity in this age demographic,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the C.D.C.’s director, told reporters at a news briefing on Friday.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that saying that a kid aged 0-4 has a 50-60% chance of being sick enough from omicron to require a stay in hospital?

Is says the INCREASE in hospitalizations. So if it goes from 2 out of 100,000 to 4 out of 100,000 that's a 100% increase.

Paul

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
do face shields actually do anything if youre not wearing a good mask underneath (or even if you are)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a PAPR would probably be pretty effective but the little sneeze guard ones lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thathonkey posted:

do face shields actually do anything if youre not wearing a good mask underneath (or even if you are)

They're good for not being sneezed at directly in your face, but are otherwise pure theatre

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

a PAPR would probably be pretty effective but the little sneeze guard ones lol

I used to wear a hood PAPR with a lower back-mounted motor/filter in a bunnysuit deconning cat5 cytotoxic drugs. That unit fit so bad without the suspenders because I'm 6', 155lbs with a 34" waist, suspenders which you weren't allowed to ever use at all in an aseptic cleanroom; and the one-size-fits-all hood was so loose, that I spent about 50% of the time I was wearing it with my dirty gloves inside of it.

It was even better with lyo unloads where you needed to be aseptic because of monitoring, I would spend about 3.5 out of the 4 hours of good suit time with everything except my eyes outside the hood because you're not allowed to touch your body at all.

I guess my point is that if you cheap out on respirators they're even more dangerous than just not loving wearing one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

from NY times:

More than four in 100,000 children aged 4 years or younger admitted to hospitals were infected with the coronavirus as of Jan. 1 — double the rate reported a month ago, and about three times the rate this time last year.

By contrast, the rate of hospitalized children aged 5 through 11 years who were infected was 0.6 per 100,000, roughly the same rate seen over the past months.

Children infected with the variant are still at much less risk of becoming severely ill than adults, and even young children seem less likely to need ventilators than those admitted during previous surges, experts said.

“We have not yet seen a signal that there is any increased severity in this age demographic,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the C.D.C.’s director, told reporters at a news briefing on Friday.

That's a little vaguely worded - are they saying that of 100,000 admitted 4 were admitted *because* of covid, that out of 100,000 kids admitted, 4 happened to have positive tests, or of 100,000 kids who'd had covid 4 required hospitalisation? Because those are all very different things. The first seems like what they actually mean, because the second is a spectacularly low amount (in England at the moment the rate for under-4s is 740 per 100k), and the third kinda sounds like good news? Not for the 4 kids involved, obviously, but 4 hospitalisations per 100k cases is probably better than the rate for learning to ride a bicycle.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Barry Foster posted:

They're good for not being sneezed at directly in your face, but are otherwise pure theatre

Also helpful for interacting with people who are deaf or hard of hearing, but easier for many to smugly poo poo on people trying to navigate this in a world of conflicting information and misinformation.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Try to loosen the mask all around the face so that your breath escapes away from your specs. Or even better, if you can get away with it where you are, lower it beneath your nose. Makes it significantly more comfortable and bearable to to use.

Whenever I see this I assume the person has some serious gold up in there that they need to constantly pick out.

Give them a wink and pick your nose in front of them. Really get up in there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those transparent plastic shields are not helpful because they do not work.

If you cannot wear a mask because people need to see your lips, I strongly suggest pursuing other mitigation strategies, because those “shields” do precious little to protect you or anyone you interact with.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Platystemon posted:

Those transparent plastic shields are not helpful because they do not work.

If you cannot wear a mask because people need to see your lips, I strongly suggest pursuing other mitigation strategies, because those “shields” do precious little to protect you or anyone you interact with.

I already have a few packs of KN95s thanks to this thread's recommendations. I'm just saying:

A) I did not know that KN95s existed until this thread. I only knew that N95s existed (apart from "those masks you see in hospital movies") because I have friends in construction.

B) Most people are not reading this thread.

C) I think most people have assumed in good faith that "covering your mouth and nose" is the key factor for an appropriate mask. A good fitting mask has been the message; strong messages around things like testing seals, etc. have been a lot more niche or detailed than what most people are observing. From that perspective, these "face shields" seem like a great (even courteous) choice.

Unrelated, but this made me think of something else. Remember when a lot of people in this thread were gleefully posting videos of people showing how good cloth masks were by how hard it was to blow out a candle? Science shifts--while you can always be ahead of the curve by being the most cautious, it generally isn't a good idea to be too smug about today's science because tomorrow's science will laugh at it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

HonorableTB posted:

I need to get contacts because I'm so tired of my glasses fogging up 90% of the time I'm wearing a mask.

I find it helps to put the mask on tight to the top of my nose (practically in my eyes) and then have the glasses resting on the mask, rather than the bridge of my nose. It gives it a bit more of a gap for any air that is pushed through the top.

I bought some anti-fog cloth wipes at Costco (10 pack, claims 200 uses per cloth but we'll see). You rub your lens with them for ~20 seconds and it puts an invisible film on there that completely prevents fogging. Unfortunately, it does also smear pretty easily and when you clean the smear off it also cleans the film off. But I was pretty amazed when I walked in from -11C outside and my glasses didn't fog from the warm air indoors.

My friend got an anti-fog spray and she said she only has to reapply it every second day or so. I might have to try one...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I have the fogging problem too sometimes. Usually tightening the mask helps or even outright resolves it.

It's one of the many many annoying things about the pandemic but better than catching this poo poo I guess, and I don't go anywhere often enough to get too annoyed about it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Modern Leper posted:

Also helpful for interacting with people who are deaf or hard of hearing, but easier for many to smugly poo poo on people trying to navigate this in a world of conflicting information and misinformation.

I didn't "smugly poo poo" on anyone, thank you.

They are pure theatre, outside of narrow clinical settings, where you might indeed be coughed or sneezed at directly in the face.

That is just a fact. I agree that people don't know the fact that they are theatre. It's a shame there is so much misinformation and misunderstanding out there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The Modern Leper posted:

Unrelated, but this made me think of something else. Remember when a lot of people in this thread were gleefully posting videos of people showing how good cloth masks were by how hard it was to blow out a candle? Science shifts--while you can always be ahead of the curve by being the most cautious, it generally isn't a good idea to be too smug about today's science because tomorrow's science will laugh at it.

Cloth masks were a lovely option but generally acceptable just to get people to mask up.

Then omicron evolved to be as infectious as measles, and the only valid prophylactics immediately became 95+% respirators and vaccines.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Been wearing FPP2 (EU N95 equivalent) masks for a month or two now but the ones i got aren't designed for my nose so i have to tape it my skin below my eyes and all the way round otherwise the glasses steam up like mad.

It sucks in & out when i breathe so i assume that's a good sign.

Feel a bit of a prat wandering round with a mask duct taped to my face but sod it i like not having covid, colds, or flu. :colbert:

If i get covid i want it to be when the NHS isn't flooded with cases.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Got my 2nd booster of Moderna. These vaccination cards kind of suck. I'm going to run out of room.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Modern Leper posted:

C) I think most people have assumed in good faith that "covering your mouth and nose" is the key factor for an appropriate mask. A good fitting mask has been the message; strong messages around things like testing seals, etc. have been a lot more niche or detailed than what most people are observing. From that perspective, these "face shields" seem like a great (even courteous) choice.

You are not wrong about that.

My hatred for such things is limited so long as authorities continue to deny, explicitly or implicitly, the airborne nature of the threat.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

So Meat Loaf seems to have died from Covid.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/meat-loaf-dies-at-74

No cause of death was confirmed, but TMZ reported that Meat Loaf—whose real name was Marvin Lee Aday—died after falling “seriously ill” with COVID-19 in recent weeks.

Speaking to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in August last year, he told the interviewer “I hug people in the middle of COVID,” and said: “I understood stopping life for a little while, but they cannot continue to stop life because of politics. And right now they’re stopping because of politics.”

The singer went on to complain about being asked to wear a mask on a plane, stating that he didn’t believe paper masks were as good at N95s at stopping the coronavirus from spreading. “We had to go on the airplane with the paper masks and then on the way back, we got a Nazi: ‘Get your mask on now!’ They’re power-mad now,” he told the paper.

After the interviewer replied “Oh, God. We’re being controlled by everybody,” the singer responded ominously: “Yeah, I know. But not me. If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled.”

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wanna be reading retrospectives on the plague years a century from now. There's gotta be a ton of repercussions we haven't even thought of yet.

If it's anything like the 1918 pandemic we'll probably intentionally ignore it to the point that it becomes just a point form thing in a history book of "stuff that happened in the early 21st century".

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

enki42 posted:

If it's anything like the 1918 pandemic we'll probably intentionally ignore it to the point that it becomes just a point form thing in a history book of "stuff that happened in the early 21st century".

People were still dying of it well into the 20s (source: death certificates from genealogy research)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Oracle posted:

People were still dying of it well into the 20s (source: death certificates from genealogy research)

Sure, but the average person was a bad reddit stereotype of "spanish flu is OVER. enough is enough" by then.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

There's literally no way they could have known if it was the 1918 flu though. It's not impossible that a good proportion of flu deaths in the 1920s were from H1N1, but there's no actual basis for a doctor to have put "Spanish Flu" on a death certificate after 1920, when total deaths (and the age profile of deaths) had returned back to normal levels.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

heavy liquid posted:

No cause of death was confirmed, but TMZ reported that Meat Loaf—whose real name was Marvin Lee Aday—died after falling “seriously ill” with COVID-19 in recent weeks.

Speaking to The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in August last year, he told the interviewer “I hug people in the middle of COVID,” and said: “I understood stopping life for a little while, but they cannot continue to stop life because of politics. And right now they’re stopping because of politics.”

The singer went on to complain about being asked to wear a mask on a plane, stating that he didn’t believe paper masks were as good at N95s at stopping the coronavirus from spreading. “We had to go on the airplane with the paper masks and then on the way back, we got a Nazi: ‘Get your mask on now!’ They’re power-mad now,” he told the paper.

After the interviewer replied “Oh, God. We’re being controlled by everybody,” the singer responded ominously: “Yeah, I know. But not me. If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled.”

Saget could also be covid-related, considering it was a heart attack or stroke and he had covid in the past.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

heavy liquid posted:

I mean, he did die being controlled (by the ventilator)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yo COVID rash is no joke. I had a small breakout after my booster which some cream took care of then two weeks later I caught the real covid and everything is on fire.

Just had to get a bunch of medicine to take care of it and the dermatologist said this is pretty common since COVID.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's literally no way they could have known if it was the 1918 flu though. It's not impossible that a good proportion of flu deaths in the 1920s were from H1N1, but there's no actual basis for a doctor to have put "Spanish Flu" on a death certificate after 1920, when total deaths (and the age profile of deaths) had returned back to normal levels.

they didn't put 'spanish flu' on the deaths that were caused by it in the 1918 outbreak either. It was always just 'the flu' 'grippe' 'la grippe' 'influenza or complications thereof'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

they didn't put 'spanish flu' on the deaths that were caused by it in the 1918 outbreak either. It was always just 'the flu' 'grippe' 'la grippe' 'influenza or complications thereof'

So what makes you think those were deaths from H1N1 compared to just normal flu deaths then?