Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm just interested in a little collapse. not like fallout. more like kazakhstan. we can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok see now that's a scenario that I think sounds worse.

Some disgruntled upper classes setup a few riots and some local unrest, US troops cross the border to restore peace.

Don't even know if that counts as collapse.

Just go whole hog and do a fallout annexation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i don't really want the world to end, I would just like things to get better instead of worse, that's my philosophy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I mean me too. But I am looking at what our government and the one in US did for the past two years and it's just not something I can believe in. Things getting better that is.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

vyelkin posted:

i don't really want the world to end, I would just like things to get better instead of worse, that's my philosophy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

i did too and then i got loving elbow deep with the feds for two years and now i just want my death to be painless when it comes

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

vyelkin posted:

wow nice doomerism

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

vyelkin posted:

mods?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1463267599265853442?t=W9Z6cnh_wDcgmF-kQQrtTQ&s=19

Where is my loving sticker, John Horgan, you miserable pile of garbage

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i wont tolerate this sticker doomerism. our sticker supply is strong

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
btw if youre under 5 you dont get a sticker, just the constant threat of plague death

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

vyelkin posted:

sorry but this is bougie

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

sorry but this is dougie

fixed that for you

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Canada can have a little collapse, as a treat

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We're at the point where a lot of people can't see incremental improvements in society
outpacing our current race to the bottom / off the cliff. They see the complete destruction of our current socioeconomic paradigm as the only way to make room for real positive change.

And then there are people who just hate the way things are so much and loathe the fact that it's benefitting others and want to see that taken away.

History has shown that spite is a great motivator.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/nearly-60-per-cent-of-canadians-find-it-difficult-to-feed-their-families-poll-finds-1.5748898
A new poll has found that nearly 60 per cent of Canadians are having a hard time providing enough food for their families.

The poll from the Angus Reid Institute, released on Friday, shows that 57 per cent of Canadians reported having a difficult time feeding their family recently, an increase from 36 per cent when the question was last asked in 2019.

Data released on Wednesday from Statistics Canada found that items such as cooking oil (41.4 per cent) and white sugar (21.6 per cent) have already seen significant price spikes between December 2020 and December 2021.

In the before times, I could stave off depression by mixing sugar and oil together to form a mood-lifting paste.

For real though, figure out how to garden. This isn't going away.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Karach posted:

In the before times, I could stave off depression by mixing sugar and oil together to form a mood-lifting paste.

For real though, figure out how to garden. This isn't going away.

gardening would be great if we didnt all live in 600 sq ft boxes

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

a primate posted:

gardening would be great if we didnt all live in 600 sq ft boxes

I have an 8 acre field available for rent-free gardening if anybody is near Winnipeg. Can provide tools as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

I have an 8 acre field available for rent-free gardening if anybody is near Winnipeg. Can provide tools as well.

your not gonna trick me into becoming a serf

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
just garden 8 acres guys its so easy

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

density! i scream, as food insecurity reaches peak levels

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Look I'm just going to be chilling in my manor while you guys are on the field. If you provide, let's say, 25% of your crop's value to me in cash or kind, I can guarantee your protection.

This opportunity is for people with a *can-do* attitude, who don't mind being levied for armed service occasionally.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DariusLikewise posted:

i mean if youre nearby it would not be a full time job to grow enough to supply a non trivial amount of food for your family.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DariusLikewise posted:

the end of the world might require you to perform physical labour from time to time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the collapse of society would actually improve my living conditions

Karach posted:

no, not like that

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

society should collapse just enough not to interrupt my treat delivery systems

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Karach posted:

How close to winnipeg? How owned were you this year due to the drought?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Karach posted:

Look I'm just going to be chilling in my manor while you guys are on the field. If you provide, let's say, 25% of your crop's value to me in cash or kind, I can guarantee your protection.

This opportunity is for people with a *can-do* attitude, who don't mind being levied for armed service occasionally.

im very excited for serfdom to replace capitalism

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Karach posted:

pretty good deal; that's less than what a lot of people give to their employers under the current system, and they don't even get protection in return

the winnipeg thing is a deal breaker though, sorry

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

8 acres of farmland outside Winnipeg is one of the levels from Dante's Inferno iirc

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fried Watermelon posted:

How close to winnipeg? How owned were you this year due to the drought?

Within 20 km

It's been a drought since we bought this place 5 years ago. Summers have also been brutally windy and hot. We're OK because we haul water - wells aren't allowed in this RM. On the other hand, the river that supplies our drinking water almost ran dry this year, so...

The best decision we made when we moved in was to fully mulch the house garden, get rid of the raised beds, and go no-till. Permanent mulch means you lose almost no water from the soil to evaporation, and it traps a lot more of the snow melt in situ. You also get massive increases in the long term to the soil organic carbon, which improves water retention.

This past year proved it. While we had a massive crop of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and other heat-loving crops, our neighbours with their black soil gardens got hammered by the heat and pests, and had virtually no harvest. If your soil is exposed and it's 35C, it doesn't matter how much you water - evapotranspiration will always exceed input.

Other crops are getting harder to grow, though. Carrots seem to get bitter in the heat, brassicas other than cabbage slow down, and lettuce and spinach bolt almost instantly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

8 acres of farmland outside Winnipeg is one of the levels from Dante's Inferno iirc

the one with the demon babies and vagina monsters if i remember the game correctly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Karach posted:

Within 20 km

It's been a drought since we bought this place 5 years ago. Summers have also been brutally windy and hot. We're OK because we haul water - wells aren't allowed in this RM. On the other hand, the river that supplies our drinking water almost ran dry this year, so...

The best decision we made when we moved in was to fully mulch the house garden, get rid of the raised beds, and go no-till. Permanent mulch means you lose almost no water from the soil to evaporation, and it traps a lot more of the snow melt in situ. You also get massive increases in the long term to the soil organic carbon, which improves water retention.

This past year proved it. While we had a massive crop of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and other heat-loving crops, our neighbours with their black soil gardens got hammered by the heat and pests, and had virtually no harvest. If your soil is exposed and it's 35C, it doesn't matter how much you water - evapotranspiration will always exceed input.

Other crops are getting harder to grow, though. Carrots seem to get bitter in the heat, brassicas other than cabbage slow down, and lettuce and spinach bolt almost instantly.

yea we bought some slow bolt lettuce this year for this reason. can still get oppressively hot in ontario. we mulch and occasionally use the biodegradable mulching sheets because theyre white and reflect a lot of heat.

with that sort of room have you guys considered any kind of greenhouse scenario? you would likely have to arrange to keep it from overheating in the summer (fans may be enough) but it could be a big help otherwise.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the winnipeg thing is a deal breaker though, sorry

good call. Winnipeg is some kind of large-scale exercise in seeing how much ugliness human beings can put up with before they simply wither away from lack of nourishment for their soul.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

all I know about Winnipeg is that theres a mall there called Mall

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

a primate posted:

all I know about Winnipeg is that there’s a mall there called Mall

theres one of those in portage la prairie and another in dauphin but Im not sure about winnipeg actually

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's only the one, no need to get fancy with names

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

a primate posted:

all I know about Winnipeg is that theres a mall there called Mall

we're a simple folk. we just need a place to hold the occasional Magic: The Gathering tournament and get mini-donuts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i love the tiltshift effect, it's like someone created the worlds most depressing model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

infernal machines posted:

i love the tiltshift effect, it's like someone created the worlds most depressing model

Yeah I got a feeling like it's the opening to a very depressing millennial mid life crisis cancon comedy set in Winnipeg called Flat Earth.