Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I don't really like most of the Showa movies anymore but the ones that are good are probably better than the Millenium series movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In terms of the single worst period for Godzilla films- I want to say it's the 10-year-stretch between Final Wars and Godzilla (2014). Final Wars didn't make a profit (it made more than previous Millennium films but also cost a lot more) so Toho decided to leave it at that, and for the longest time it just seemed like kaiju films just didn't fit into the modern landscape of Japanese cinema, Godzilla was old and unhip and a symbol of the past. Gamera the Brave tried to revive its character by really focusing on the kid-and-his-pet story and it's a solid flick but it didn't make a lot of money either.

Of course in this period you also saw the original Gojira playing US theaters, leading to the DVD release in 2006, and a bunch of other Godzilla movies getting put out on DVD uncut with subtitles for the first time. (I think the Criterion release of Godzilla was 2011?) So for American kaiju fans things weren't that bad. It was a strange time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hedorah getting some MMD love

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:sickos:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The EDF seem a little outmatched here

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Ipaidforthat1/status/1478572837870915586?t=3PLH_1BLf2BJ9-vUl3lEwA&s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That Godzilla boxset was the first thing I ever ordered off the internet when I was a kid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never did, never have and never will remove Godzilla's Revenge from its shrinkwrap

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched the Gamera Heisei trilogy and I wish more kaiju movies had human stuff as interesting and not so cookie cutter. Definitely in that upper echelon of favorite kaiju movies I've seen.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

From the creator of the likes of Chin Godzilla and Godzilla Gets Frightened, comes a trailer for Godzilla vs King Ghidorah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vinylshadow posted:

From the creator of the likes of Chin Godzilla and Godzilla Gets Frightened, comes a trailer for Godzilla vs King Ghidorah

I love that the Ghidorah animated model has visible wires

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1484285007996731394?s=10

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ah mate, now I gotta buy a subscription to apple.

This is cool! But I'm also surprised. A live-action Godzilla TV shows sounds really expensive, and all the other mega-budget streaming shows are based off things like Marvel, Star Wars and Lord of The Rings and Godzilla is far less of a guaranteed hit then them (King of the Monsters did flop after all), but if they're doing it that's very exciting to see.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A live tv Godzilla show means one thing and one thing only.

It’s time for Legendary Godzooky :getin:

Violator
May 15, 2003

gently caress yes, Tim Apple finally spending money on the important things. If you have three trillion just loving dump money on people to make awesome things.

Storyline follows a family coping with monsters being a reality so hopefully Wolf Dad is back!!!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Karloff posted:

Ah mate, now I gotta buy a subscription to apple.

This is cool! But I'm also surprised. A live-action Godzilla TV shows sounds really expensive, and all the other mega-budget streaming shows are based off things like Marvel, Star Wars and Lord of The Rings and Godzilla is far less of a guaranteed hit then them (King of the Monsters did flop after all), but if they're doing it that's very exciting to see.

You can totally do a cheap live action Godzilla tv show. Remember Zone Fighter? :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/legendary/status/1484300571817377797?s=10

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Monsterverse Gigan and Megalon please

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
can't say I'm terribly optimistic given the overall hit/miss ratio of direct-to-streaming TV shows. Ah well, more Godzilla content anyway. I just hope it won't be boring.

Violator
May 15, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

can't say I'm terribly optimistic given the overall hit/miss ratio of direct-to-streaming TV shows. Ah well, more Godzilla content anyway. I just hope it won't be boring.

I’ve never seen any of them, but apparently Apple ones are typically good even though they don’t have a big library?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Get Gareth Edwards back to his roots, each episode is like Monsters and follows some people trying to go about their time in a world with giant monsters. One big CGI moneyshot of a Kaiju per episode.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

HannibalBarca posted:

It's not any worse than the Legendary movies.

Anyway, I just read the story and I almost want to wake my son up to tell him. He's going to lose his mind. He still holds out hope for more movies and I've had to throw water on that over and over.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is breakfast news. Wait til he's barely half awake and then tell him

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Looks like Christmas came a month later this year:rms:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What if they go all in on cheap and we get a legendary ‘zilla suit and it’s old school Godzilla action with modern looking suits.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Got to do a Mothra tattoo yesterday :c00l:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if they go all in on cheap and we get a legendary ‘zilla suit and it’s old school Godzilla action with modern looking suits.

Thatd be sick tho???

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The suitmation looks better than bad CGI so... that wouldn't be awful

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This would be great, too bad they will never even consider it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

A subplot where monsters are commercially exploited via low budget b-movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Helll yeah. Sick work, love how you captured the fuzziness. Have considered both a Mothra tattoo and a King Ghidorah tattoo myself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
foundation looked expensive as hell (as in lots of good looking cg imo) so hopefully their monsterverse show will get a similar cg budget

site fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 21, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I keep saying this, someone get the Jim Henson Company to do a kaiju suit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I keep saying this, someone get the Jim Henson Company to do a kaiju suit.

Look no further than the first two TMNT movies for proof

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not a kaiju but the suit Stan Winston Studios did for The Relic kicked rear end

https://twitter.com/swinstonschool/status/1480970450020843521?s=21

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That's gorgeous. How long did it take to do it? I'd been thinking of getting a Mothra tattoo as well but have been nervous about how much more involved it would be than my Sailor Moon symbols one.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

that rules but it's really funny how you had to work it around the anime and its sushi lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

That's gorgeous. How long did it take to do it? I'd been thinking of getting a Mothra tattoo as well but have been nervous about how much more involved it would be than my Sailor Moon symbols one.

A bit more than 2 hours. The Godzilla one on her lower arm took around 5 hours in 2 sessions.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Millenium Godzilla is the best choice. Love her taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

We are debating on the next kaiju to do next to the Godzilla. It kind of depends on what we can fit, but it’s going to be either Orga (which makes the most sense), Monster X (also works but fitting either one might be a challenge) or Gigan, but she and I both like Showa Gigan better.