Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bring back that fake leaker to say Abnett's actually working on Total War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Why would you think that GW would waste one of their best writers on something as narratively thin as an RTS campaign? Far FAR more likely is that Abnett is writing for a huge narrative RPG in the style of The Witcher or old fashioned Bioware RPGs.

If it is 40k TW, which I belive it is, then Dan Abnett probably isnt the only writer brought in and is probably there along with others to write and help out on the lore side of the campaign setting and involved characters. It's not saying his part in it is super big or overwhelming (he's working on it alongside Darktide, which also sounds like something a writer like that would be 'wasted on', so thats not much of an argument IMO) but that the project is. Its 40k TW

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Here's the thing though, do you reckon å sequel to Space Marine, a very narrow and focused 3rd person action game, merits being named a much bigger project than Darktide (I'd say they are pretty similar), much less possibly the biggest video game project GW has worked on?

Vermintide and TWWH2 have peak player counts that are very close, 70k and 80k, and vermintide is playable on consoles as well. So I'm not sure if a total war game merits being called a much bigger project.
I think that quote is about Abnett working with a big AAA-studio to deliver a character driven narrative action rpg game, something like a 40k Mass Effect.

EDIT: Having said all that, TWWH3 is currently the best selling game on steam.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 21, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

As much as I'd like confirmation of a 40k Total War, a narrative RPG does make more sense to me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hier ist ein Todbringer. Es bringt Tod

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

Vermintide and TWWH2 have peak player counts that are very close, 70k and 80k, and vermintide is playable on consoles as well. So I'm not sure if a total war game merits being called a much bigger project.
I think that quote is about Abnett working with a big AAA-studio to deliver a character driven narrative action rpg game, something like a 40k Mass Effect.

EDIT: Having said all that, TWWH3 is currently the best selling game on steam.

I'm going to say that a Total War game with its range of locations, races, armies and characters is by definition a bigger, more ambitious project than any Vermintide or Darktide (which as I understand it is basically Left 4 Dead with differentiated roles/character archetypes) game regardless of its popularity. I could of course end up being wrong, but as of now I'm pretty sure they're in the preliminary phase of developing a 40k Total War game (and there are other reasons to think this is going to happen beyond what Dan Abnett was actually referring to).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 21, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

AnEdgelord posted:

Why would you think that GW would waste one of their best writers on something as narratively thin as an RTS campaign?

Starcraft 1 was a long time ago but there's absolute no reason a RTS campaign has to skimp on the writing. Also the writing we do get in the TWWHs is usually solid gold, particularly the dialogue.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Has anyone found High Elves, Brettonians, Tomb Kings, or Vamprie Coast on the new map? Last video I saw, no one had seen them yet, and they now have a question marks on a generic shield instead of the insignias of AI factions you haven’t met yet during AI turns.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

Has anyone found High Elves, Brettonians, Tomb Kings, or Vamprie Coast on the new map? Last video I saw, no one had seen them yet, and they now have a question marks on a generic shield instead of the insignias of AI factions you haven’t met yet during AI turns.
Someone was saying that there are no Bwet, HE, DE, or VSea settlements on the map so I think chances are low. Its possible they are in an Imrik situation somewhere that there will be factions of those flavors but they are in a settlement that has a different faction's looks. I personally havent seen anything about TK, Bwet, HE, DE, or VSea but I have not watched that many streams.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 21, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If they're gonna do it, part of Repanse's backstory is that she repelled a Chaos invasion so she'd probably make a good choice. I'm sure there'd be characters from the other races that would be similar.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Someone was saying that there are no Bwet, HE, DE, or VSea settlements on the map so I think chances are low. Its possible they are in an Imrik situation somewhere that there will be factions of those flavors but they are in a settlement that has a different faction's looks. I personally havent seen anything about TK, Bwet, HE, DE, or VSea but I have not watched that many streams.

Zerkovich mentioned Dark Elves on his Wednesday stream, but I didn’t see them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

LL unlocks confirmed with Be'lakor being a custom battles unlock ala the Sarthoreal unlock. Maybe he'll get a FLC campaign later? Makes the leaks about the other LLs seem a lot more tangible.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

What are the opponents in sea battle encounters?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Twigand Berries posted:

Arghy

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Raghu is being a mechwarrior

e has autocorrect renamed Arghy?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doomykins posted:

LL unlocks confirmed with Be'lakor being a custom battles unlock ala the Sarthoreal unlock. Maybe he'll get a FLC campaign later? Makes the leaks about the other LLs seem a lot more tangible.

Yeah, when they're just "here's a new LL to add to your roster" instead of their own fully developed factions with all the game mechanics that implies it makes a lot more sense.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That also states he is playable in the campaign as well.

I am guessing he will be usable in his own campaign in Immortal Empires too.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"If you continue playing" sounds like he joins your Create A Demon campaign as a stack lord in the post game if you want to finish painting the map. I definitely expect any freebie unlocked LLs to be upgraded to campaigns by IE.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, it sounds like he joins the Chaos undivided faction once you finish the main objectives and start painting the map. Hoping he'll be his own LL start in IE, but he may end up in Red Duke/Toddy territory. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wonder if his unique lore will make it into the game intact. Also, cementing his status as Chaos Starscream, I love how him joining your faction is a punishment from the Chaos Gods.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I mean, how wild an end game are we expecting?

This is the lore of the days that lead to the end of the Old World entirely, no? And with rifts and everything else it seems clearly possible that they can move armies between different maps, which opens up A LOT of storytelling possibilities depending on what their priorities were.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

Total War: Kingdom Hearts, lets get bonkers in here

Total War: the Gathering

Either have it set on Dominaria or expand the chaos portal idea in to full planeswalking lords/heroes.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Twigand Berries posted:

Oh yeah, are those gone now? There’s much less water on the map than there was on the previous games. I think ruined settlement treasure hunts are gone now too. I rechecked the official Miao Ying campaign video to confirm that she doesn’t get the option when she colonizes the Snake Gate. I guess I could see if it’s different in the build that streamers are playing, or if Great Bastion gates are a special case, but that sounds like work.

Do “Ogres, milord!” events still happen, or does recruiting Ogre mercenaries work differently now?

The other previous game thing I’m wondering about is if Kislev and/or Cathay can recruit Gotrek and Felix. It’s a minor thing, but the fact that it is gives me this weird impulse that someone has gotta ask it.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 21, 2022

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Total war: Dominions 7.

Just whole stacks getting dunked on by an immobile statue summoning eldritch horrors

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

There are definitely sea icons for encounters but the only one I saw run over was one that didn’t give a battle. I haven’t seen the “ogres m’lord” but the Iron Dragon’s faction has a bonus to ogre mercenaries but that may be the outpost units as he also has a diplomatic bonus with ogres.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Omnicarus posted:

Total war: Dominions 7.

Just whole stacks getting dunked on by an immobile statue summoning eldritch horrors
Me and my custom LL "Pond" the fountain.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

I wonder if his unique lore will make it into the game intact. Also, cementing his status as Chaos Starscream, I love how him joining your faction is a punishment from the Chaos Gods.

The stuff about him being the first daemon prince who was punished by the chaos gods for wanting more power is the whole basis of his motivation for the campaign.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Reik posted:

Total War: the Gathering

Either have it set on Dominaria or expand the chaos portal idea in to full planeswalking lords/heroes.

You could do a really sick Total War campaign with a shitload of variety centered around the old Brothers' War story, since that had tons of participant nations with their own gimmicks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

alright hear me out

you might not be ready for this

it might be a little... too spicy. a little too out there. but could you imagine

Total War: LEGO

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Well we have seen his lore in the game. He also appears to be the big boss of the Campaign.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

alright hear me out

you might not be ready for this

it might be a little... too spicy. a little too out there. but could you imagine

Total War: LEGO

You're one sick puppy!!!!!!!

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Yo

What about Total War: Mortal Kombat

Takes place in Outworld.

The characters from the games are LL or Heroes.

Okoii making videos with 19 Goros.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

So, with the minor settlement rework, what happens when you build walls in a minor settlement now? Does it change it to a new walled map, or...?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lugubrious! posted:

So, with the minor settlement rework, what happens when you build walls in a minor settlement now? Does it change it to a new walled map, or...?

AFAIK you simply can't build walls in minors anymore at all.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Kanos posted:

AFAIK you simply can't build walls in minors anymore at all.

Huh, I swear I've seen the icon for the building in some folks play throughs...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

You're one sick puppy!!!!!!!

bionicles, man

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Total War: Avengers (Civil War)

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Lugubrious! posted:

Maybe it just increases the garrisons.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Lugubrious! posted:

I think certain main settlements need walls constructed as well. The whole mechanics of sieges are so different that just the size and layout is enough with internal towers raining death on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Planescape Total War