Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
there's a standalone a&w in my town, with the drive up and all that. it's kinda nice.

no long johns within like an hour though, which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It is definitely more expensive than McDonald's by a few bucks.

At McDonald's I can get any of the normal combos (Mac, QP, 6Nugs, etc) for $8.99 + tax ($6.79 + tax with coupon) :canada:.

A similar combo at A&W (Teen Burger w/fries regular drink) is $11.48 + tax ($7.49 + tax with coupon). Chicken is usually a bit more than beef.

McDonald's has a bit more variety in terms of items, A&W has dedicated fried chicken in the for of Chubby Chicken. A&W is way better though, the meat is actually seasoned and doesn't taste like it's been sitting long. The fries are thick-cut, plus the sweet potato option or onion rings. If I absolutely had to save the dollar because literally there are always coupons or specifically wanted it sure I'd pick McDonald's. But in a head to head for quality A&W wins hands down.

The big question is how do you feel about Harvey's?

A sight any Canadian will immediately wince at, yet consider ordering Pizza Pizza. To see if it has gotten any better since last time. Just in case.

It looks the same when the reheat it, eh?

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 20, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Light Gun Man posted:

no long johns within like an hour though, which sucks.

A blessing imo

They have a certain level of grease that just pervades everything in their restaurants, and I think every single visit has given me the runs later on. We used to eat there as a kid, and it took me a while into adulthood to consciously think, I don't have to poop from eating there any more.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Zushio posted:

A sight any Canadian will immediately wince at, yet consider ordering Pizza Pizza. To see if it has gotten any better since last time. Just in case.

It looks the same when the reheat it, eh?

This makes me sad. Its like a rescue shelter for abandoned slices.

Captain Hygiene posted:

A blessing imo

They have a certain level of grease that just pervades everything in their restaurants, and I think every single visit has given me the runs later on. We used to eat there as a kid, and it took me a while into adulthood to consciously think, I don't have to poop from eating there any more.

Last time I was in one the air was hard to breath, my ex ate while I sat with her tryin to not get sick. The air was greasy.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Pizza Pizza when I last had it was fine on first eating but somehow the flavour would be destroyed no matter how you tried to reheat it (or not at all, like it just kind of evaporated away with time)

shadow puppet of a posted:

Their only real innovation in pizza was inventing ways to get the customer to destroy their pizza box because franchisees were notorious for fishing them out of the trash on garbage days and re-selling untraceable pizzas in dirty boxes but the company only cared as corp didn’t get their cut of those trash slices.

Ahaha holy poo poo I've definitely had pizza served in a dirty rear end old box, not from Pizza Pizza mind you but the lightbulb has just gone off

nesamdoom posted:

Also, Godfather's?? I am not sure how unrelated it is. That brand started here alil south from me in Omaha, it's not widely known in the states outside the midwest i think. I looked it up Godfathers and Godfather's are seperate entities.

There's Godfathers in Saskatchewan and God Father's in Ottawa

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Futanari Damacy posted:

Pizza Pizza when I last had it was fine on first eating but somehow the flavour would be destroyed no matter how you tried to reheat it (or not at all, like it just kind of evaporated away with time)

Ahaha holy poo poo I've definitely had pizza served in a dirty rear end old box, not from Pizza Pizza mind you but the lightbulb has just gone off

There's Godfathers in Saskatchewan and God Father's in Ottawa

it's kinda funny how close both of those are but not the same name as the chain here.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Valko posted:

Mango BBQ bacon. I would actually eat this.

That looks delicious.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
When I worked at Dominos back in 2004/2005, the deep dish pizzas were literally a pre-formed crust puck that came in a big box of 10. Whether you call it a deep dish or pan pizza, it was neither, and we topped them and cooked them on top of the same metal screens that all the other pizzas were cooked on. The only thing we actually cooked in our deep dish pizza pans were breadsticks, and even then they were just on a sheet of parchment paper sitting in the middle of the pans. Didn't keep me from having to wash a stack of 30 or 40 of these pans at the end of every shift.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I really liked the Domino's ad campaign where they straight up said, "Yeah, we get it. Our pizza loving sucks." Probably one the best corporate ad campaigns I've ever seen. And they actually made their pizza better. I mean, within reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've had much worse pizza than Domino's. Especially since their revamp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dominos thin crust is actually great

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I only do thin crust on take-out pizza :/
Deep dish/pan crust just blows 90% of the time so I don't bother. Give me ritz cracker thin, well done thin crust all the way baby.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's me I prefer pan or other thicker crust almost always. hell I even love "Sicilian style"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

completely contrary to the thread title but this was the best takeout thick crust pizza i've ever had, from a brooklyn style place

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pepperoni in a bread lasagna?

Needs some catupiry waveforms imho.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

catupiry waveforms

An excellent username!

And I'd devour that rectangle pizza ngl. Looks great!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

It's me I prefer pan or other thicker crust almost always. hell I even love "Sicilian style"

Just garbage tier all the way down with you, isn't it?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

completely contrary to the thread title but this was the best takeout thick crust pizza i've ever had, from a brooklyn style place

That's not even pizza.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pepperoni upside-down pizza

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

I need that inside me

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

That's not even pizza.

Then drat you to hell*, I'll eat it!

*sorry

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Pizza Pizza pizza is the embodiment of a cost price battle between the corporate office and their franchisees where the guaranteed loser is always the lazy, low standards having pizza eater because it was more convenient to eat their bland cardboard crust than to try and remember a different delivery number or to walk another half block away from the street corner. Things got so bad for a while that on the companies 50th anniversary, a grand hallmark, the only discount corporate could force on the stores was like 10% off a second reheated sat out all day slice (pepperoni or cheese ONLY) if you bought a drink. It was pathetic. Their only real innovation in pizza was inventing ways to get the customer to destroy their pizza box because franchisees were notorious for fishing them out of the trash on garbage days and re-selling untraceable pizzas in dirty boxes but the company only cared as corp didn’t get their cut of those trash slices.

I still eat there more than reasonable as I was raised on that bland taste of lukewarm sub mediocrity.

:lol:

You just reminded me of this urban legend in my university's city about how Peter Piper Pizza would take the left over slices and resell them. Like if a family came in, didn't finish their pizza and left full slices there, the employees would take them, make a whole pizza with the leftovers, reheat it and sell. :v: That came from people claiming they had gotten pizzas with uneven slices.

I still liked them because they would sell beer, and soda with free refills! And there was a whole room of lovely arcade games. A drunk college student heaven! drat, pizza places in my current city should be more like that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol:

You just reminded me of this urban legend in my university's city about how Peter Piper Pizza would take the left over slices and resell them. Like if a family came in, didn't finish their pizza and left full slices there, the employees would take them, make a whole pizza with the leftovers, reheat it and sell. :v: That came from people claiming they had gotten pizzas with uneven slices.

I haven't heard of them, but I've seen multiple youtube videos investigating this for Chuck E Cheese/Showbiz pizzas here in the states. Never heard it when I went there as a kid, I just saw it pop up in the last couple years.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

That's not even pizza.

you're not even pizza bithc

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

Just garbage tier all the way down with you, isn't it?

dough is the hardest part of making pizza and there's more dough in a big thick slice, so it's literally math that you are wrong and that thicker pizza = better

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm not against thicc pizzas, but never forget that pizzas are a cheese delivery mechanism, not a dough delivery one

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

dough is the hardest part of making pizza and there's more dough in a big thick slice, so it's literally math that you are wrong and that thicker pizza = better

theres were wrong like three places in this post...I can't *wipes glases* I can't come to terms with this.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The real King of chain pizza is Donato's out of Ohio:

Yes that's exactly 100 pepperoni on every thin crust pizza. It's better than almost all real pizza. Truly doesn't belong in this thread but we're ranking so...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is basically what Detroit Style is, isn't it? Done in an oil drip pan to maximize the crispy lacy cheese edge.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Soul Dentist posted:

Yes that's exactly 100 pepperoni on every thin crust pizza. It's better than almost all real pizza. Truly doesn't belong in this thread but we're ranking so...

I loving love Donatos but I have always assumed I love it 95% out of nostalgia. They used to be the only chain that used non canned mushrooms but I think everybody else caught up in the 2000s

Red Robin started doing Donatos ghost kitchen in far off markets and it tastes pretty much as I remember it btw if anyone is curious

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Red Robin started doing Donatos ghost kitchen in far off markets and it tastes pretty much as I remember it btw if anyone is curious

That seems bizarre, I get the general concept but I wouldn't have expected a non-pizza joint to start picking up pizza orders.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Donatos was also briefly owned by McDonald's in the 90s

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Soul Dentist posted:

Too much pepperoni

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Too much pepperoni
You're writing words but I can't understand them

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jelly posted:

You're writing words but I can't understand them

I Once bought a two pound bag of clearance near-expiry pepperonis and at them loose up to my breaking point over a week. I know those words well. You just haven’t lived enough on the edge of disaster.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever I'm making pizza at home I have to impress upon myself to put on WAY more pepperoni and mushrooms than I think is sensible, because both shrink.

Just pile them sky high, they end up perfectly distributed as though by magic

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Soul Dentist posted:

I don't know this place but I wanted to express my appreciation for how they make sure all the pepperoni is facing the correct direction (natural casing pepperoni is directional and all pepperoni cut from the same stick will curl the same way)

Curling pepperoni from a place that leaves it up to a coinflip is still better than a pizza with lovely flat pepperoni, but it's so much better when it curls up and gets crispy at the edge instead of forming a little convex meat dome

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is what a local place gives you when you select "deep dish" which I'm almost certain is incorrect but it's still really good.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Too much pepperoni

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tiny Bug Child posted: