Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's baffling to me how people are pricing the NSO Expansion exclusively using the N64 app when the Genesis app is also there and has an incredible library of games. I have seen people say that they're also not worth it since the Sega Genesis Collection is also on Switch and is "cheaper", and I can tell that not a single one of them has ever tried to play a Sonic game on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mandatory lesbian posted:

You also have to never use sparky, apparently he very specifically causes the game to crash
I just did a 100% run of Paper Mario spanning about 40 hours using every single character and never experienced a single crash.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Tho now im thinking about little lego picard gesturing wildly to try to get his speeches across and that is quite amusing, actually yeah make a lego star trek

Temba, his little yellow arms raised directly in front of him!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

American McGay posted:

I just did a 100% run of Paper Mario spanning about 40 hours using every single character and never experienced a single crash.

it's apparently only if you die with her out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

it's apparently only if you die with her out

Is that the bug that eats your savegame as well as crash?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You also have to never use sparky, apparently he very specifically causes the game to crash

Her name is Watt. Show some respect

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I wish Project Warlock had gyro aim. I'm actually surprised that it doesn't. I mean, I did only play it for a few minutes last night but I don't recall seeing the option there.

Still great, though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that the bug that eats your savegame as well as crash?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjiNZYIOoZ4

in short, no except yes. any crash of any game on the switch online emulators has the potential to destroy your saves because the app doesn't permanently save your file until it is properly exited (and if you just keep it open via sleep mode and never switch apps, that could be literally your entire playthrough)

it's just only a problem here because no other games (?) crash in normal play

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

woofbro posted:

You reckon we’ll get Mega Drive games by the end of the month?
Nope, they've already shipped everything they can license.

chaleski posted:

Mine is that I played it for a few days when it came out and just couldn't give a poo poo about it, I think it's because after all the hype of OoT and that game being my life for a while I was Zelda'd out for a bit. I'm happy I'm finally gonna give it another shot
I bought Majora's Mask when it came out and enjoyed the first half of it, but for whatever reason I didn't beat it at the time and stopped playing N64 entirely shortly after. A few years later--around the release of the Wii--I bought a used GameCube and a copy of the Zelda bonus disc with MM on it with bad enough emulation that there's a warning screen. It was that jank-rear end version of it that I played all the way through.

Which is to say MM is very good--or at least very memorable. On the surface it's an off-model Zelda in the OoT engine on the N64 which means it's blurry jank by design, and these days often compounded by emulation issues. But, thematically, the game totally plays into it. Everything about MM feels oppressive, but as you play through your'e able to gain just enough control over that oppression to make meaningful--if fleeting--progress in it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Her name is Watt. Show some respect

My apologies to all the Watt lovers in the chat

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Takoluka posted:

It's baffling to me how people are pricing the NSO Expansion exclusively using the N64 app when the Genesis app is also there and has an incredible library of games. I have seen people say that they're also not worth it since the Sega Genesis Collection is also on Switch and is "cheaper", and I can tell that not a single one of them has ever tried to play a Sonic game on that.
The Genesis/MD NSO is pretty good--the emulation is very good but the features are a bit weak. The main problem with it is that with the Genesis/MD Collection and AGES having been out on Switch already for so long, and on sale so many times, people already have ways to play Sonic or whatever on the Switch--let alone the Genesis/MD mini that came out a few years ago and the myriad of past Sega ports. And then there's Sonic Origins that's supposed to come out later this year too.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Gimmie Conker's Bad Fur Day completely uncensored and unaltered, and we'll talk.

Well, OK, throw in the ability to skip that goddamn underwater level.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This dude wants to gently caress the flower.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tho now im thinking about little lego picard gesturing wildly to try to get his speeches across and that is quite amusing, actually yeah make a lego star trek

Actually some of the more recent Lego games have had full voice acting and it seems this new Star Wars title will as well (though I think I heard somewhere you will have the option to turn it off if you want)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Is the regular switch cartridge slot as hard to open as the OLED? I have stumpy fingernails and they can't open it as easily as the lites slot. Any cool life hacks for morons like me with moron hands? I need to taste the cartridges so please don't troll me by suggesting I buy Mario golf digitally.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1484349859398254594

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You can change that option, which does shift a bit what you'll see, but it'll help you quicker figure out what piece is which.

Oh, word? Might hafta do that 'cause while I enjoy the visuals, that Windmill level is unreasonably difficult to process.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Is the regular switch cartridge slot as hard to open as the OLED?
No, although I don't find the OLED that difficult to open and I don't have particularly great fingernails.

Anyways, I keep a few spudgers around for things like this. Honestly, iFixit's Essential Electronics Toolkit is pretty useful if you ever need to break into a laptop or phone or something like that.

Edit: If you want a "lifehack" there's almost certainly something in your kitchen that will do it, but will also probably scratch the poo poo out of it too if you're not careful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

See what critics have been saying about Peppa Pig

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1484556636794630152?t=lHCDSsTYI_BQ6kKbGx6YsA&s=19

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm again going to recommend this thread for the expansion pack. People are still looking for others to join the family plan, and it comes to about $10 per person per year.

I played through Paper Mario 64 and it's quite possible I will not play any others and for $10 I'm OK with that.

Obviously you could wind up out $10 because someone does something dishonest but it's working for me so far.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

See what critics have been saying about Peppa Pig

Peppa Pig just doesn't miss

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It always weirds me out when video games look visually better than the show they’re based on.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Takoluka posted:

same. you know what's baffling to me? truly baffling? that makes me go wow, i can't believe it? how people are pricing the nso expansion

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/ntom64_lyfe/status/1479602967431065603?s=21

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ack really? I was hoping for Shining Force II and maybe Landstalker or Light Crusader…. Alien Soldier…

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If we can't get a new F-Zero on Switch than we should at least get a new Excite game. I was playing Excitetruck/Excitebots on my Wii U yesterday and those games kick major rear end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

If we can't get a new F-Zero on Switch than we should at least get a new Excite game. I was playing Excitetruck/Excitebots on my Wii U yesterday and those games kick major rear end.

They could release Excitebots with minor graphic upgrades and just pretend it is a new game given how poorly promoted the original was.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Anyone tried any of the Infinity Engine RPGs on Switch? They're on sale in NA and I'm curious how they play, particularly in portable mode.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Planescape Torment plays very nicely

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Folks, I have an update post regarding the nonogram solver I've been working on which is probably only of interest to the folks here who like Picross (which is most everyone?) and computer science (which is a surprisingly number of Picross players?).

Since last week I've implemented (i) overlaps, (ii) corrected my hint placement counts and (iii) did this thing:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Probably what I'm missing is a step where, whenever it places a hint for (say) a row, it checks to see if any column has only one hint that could satisfy it, and in that case it places that next.
which turned the solver on its head and it now completes even my hardest test puzzles in under 100 ms. It's probably not optimal as there's still a few puzzles it doesn't solve completely iteratively, but even with making a "few" (hundred) guesses it's fast enough that there's not much extra value gained in making it even more performant.

What's interesting here is how this came about. As I mentioned before, I wasn't sure that implementing support for filling in overlapping hint candidates would be valuable since it's extra computation that's repeated when you go to finalize the hint later. When solving by hand, yes, it's a good move. When doing it on a computer, overlaps does make solving "more iterative" with less guessing, but sometimes just guessing is cheaper overall. The real benefit from implementing is that it forced me to restructure my solver a bit, and it also revealed a couple of subtle bugs regarding my line count calculations when you have multiple hints on the same line. Without overlaps those bugs just resulted in additional "guessing", but with overlaps it revealed contradictions on the board that shouldn't have happened with correct math, and fixing the bugs there was definitely valuable.

The final part, that when placing a hint to make sure that each filled spot is satisfied by a hint's candidate positions in the opposite direction was the real win. This was a rule I had identified early on, but I didn't like that there was an ambiguity--if you have two hints that could cover the same spots on the board then you don't necessarily know which to attribute it to. But when you do only have one hint that can satisfy it, you can prune its candidate positions and iterate towards the solution much more quickly than trying to fill a row and making sure it actually matches up with the columns' hints later. Right now I'm not addressing the ambiguous case--with additional bookkeeping I probably could go back and check those later, but for now I'm doing nothing which I think is the source of the remaining guesses the solver has to do.

Anyways, all this is to say I might actually like Picross now. I started blasting through Mario's Super Picross since, after staring at debug dumps generated by my solver, I think I can do these pretty quickly.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wait, how? How is it they could license Ecco 1 but not 2? Or only whatever Sonic it was they had in there.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

American McGay posted:

This dude wants to gently caress the flower.

its called pollination

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

antidote posted:

Planescape Torment plays very nicely

Wait it's on the Switch...?

lunges for Switch

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

mdemone posted:

Wait it's on the Switch...?

lunges for Switch

Yes, and it's the Enhanced Edition. It's wonderful. Enjoy!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

bear named tators posted:

Ack really? I was hoping for Shining Force II and maybe Landstalker or Light Crusader…. Alien Soldier…

Landstalker and SFII are on Sega's Ages Mega Drive Collection. Just wait until there's a sale and buy it for a couple bucks. Also gives you shining gems like Phantasy Star III! :getin:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Folks, I have an update post regarding the nonogram solver I've been working on which is probably only of interest to the folks here who like Picross (which is most everyone?) and computer science (which is a surprisingly number of Picross players?).

Since last week I've implemented (i) overlaps, (ii) corrected my hint placement counts and (iii) did this thing:

which turned the solver on its head and it now completes even my hardest test puzzles in under 100 ms. It's probably not optimal as there's still a few puzzles it doesn't solve completely iteratively, but even with making a "few" (hundred) guesses it's fast enough that there's not much extra value gained in making it even more performant.

What's interesting here is how this came about. As I mentioned before, I wasn't sure that implementing support for filling in overlapping hint candidates would be valuable since it's extra computation that's repeated when you go to finalize the hint later. When solving by hand, yes, it's a good move. When doing it on a computer, overlaps does make solving "more iterative" with less guessing, but sometimes just guessing is cheaper overall. The real benefit from implementing is that it forced me to restructure my solver a bit, and it also revealed a couple of subtle bugs regarding my line count calculations when you have multiple hints on the same line. Without overlaps those bugs just resulted in additional "guessing", but with overlaps it revealed contradictions on the board that shouldn't have happened with correct math, and fixing the bugs there was definitely valuable.

The final part, that when placing a hint to make sure that each filled spot is satisfied by a hint's candidate positions in the opposite direction was the real win. This was a rule I had identified early on, but I didn't like that there was an ambiguity--if you have two hints that could cover the same spots on the board then you don't necessarily know which to attribute it to. But when you do only have one hint that can satisfy it, you can prune its candidate positions and iterate towards the solution much more quickly than trying to fill a row and making sure it actually matches up with the columns' hints later. Right now I'm not addressing the ambiguous case--with additional bookkeeping I probably could go back and check those later, but for now I'm doing nothing which I think is the source of the remaining guesses the solver has to do.

Anyways, all this is to say I might actually like Picross now. I started blasting through Mario's Super Picross since, after staring at debug dumps generated by my solver, I think I can do these pretty quickly.

:rock: loving awesome :rock:

Incidentally, do you have, like, a *UI* for your solver? How do you enter hints, and how does it display solutions? I just type in a pair of lists of clues, and it renders a text version of the grid at each iteration. Simple and convenient. But *seriously* not well suited to mega-picross and colour-picross. Kind of one of the things that triggers my 'laziness reflex' in terms of taking that next step.

Just as an aside, what language have you used for your solver?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Zeeman posted:

Anyone tried any of the Infinity Engine RPGs on Switch? They're on sale in NA and I'm curious how they play, particularly in portable mode.

I saw that as well and bought all three. Not sure why I added hundreds of hours to a backlog that will never be finished as is but I couldn’t stop myself.

On another note, if anyone has the same problem with buying third party joy cons as I do, I found my new favorite. I could only find them on Ali express, so the month for delivery was annoying but judging by the week I’ve had them they are worth it. Shaped more like the split pad than the binbok with both rumble and gyro. They also have the programmable extra button, turbo function, and adjustable vibration. The mechanical button noise took a bit to get used to but I really like it now. They also come with a changeable face plate so they can be white or black, not sure how they work since I’ve left the black ones on mine. One note, they don’t work wirelessly.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOtS8tm

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

magimix posted:

Incidentally, do you have, like, a *UI* for your solver?
Not really. I do all my programming in a terminal. Right now all my puzzle hints are just arrays (literals) of arrays of arrays of numbers that I have packed at the end of the source file, but it could just as easily be JSON files with the same data in it. For output, it renders the puzzle solutions as ASCII characters in a grid along with some computation metrics to help see where I'm making improvements.. I could trivially modify it to write out a PBM file, or with a bit of effort use libpng or something.

magimix posted:

Just as an aside, what language have you used for your solver?
Ruby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd love for a new Excite series game but I don't think the developer of Trucks & Bots would be developing it, as they were bought out by iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations just this month.