Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is it too much of a stretch if I pump "I Literally Just Told You" here on the basis that it's a funny English gameshow and Alex Horne was on episode 3? (I don't see a better thread for it and thought other TM folks might appreciate it)

Episode 2 had me hurt myself from cry-laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwKmt4nZ1dc

I don't hate Jimmy Carr, but I really hated that show. I pushed through to episode 3 just to see the celebrity episode with Alex Horne and former TM contestants Asim and Aisling. As actors/comedians, they barely made the show palatable, but the normal episodes are just tormenting unfunny people in obnoxious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I watched the first episode of that, and I did enjoy it, especially the making GBS threads on Jimmy parts, but haven't been in a mood for him lately. I'll get around to watching it all eventually, but I'm on an Only Connect binge lately.

The additional difficulty of not being familiar with a lot of british culture or history covered makes me feel extra stupid, so it's especially good after some Colorado cannabis products.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

oh jay posted:

I don't hate Jimmy Carr, but I really hated that show. I pushed through to episode 3 just to see the celebrity episode with Alex Horne and former TM contestants Asim and Aisling. As actors/comedians, they barely made the show palatable, but the normal episodes are just tormenting unfunny people in obnoxious ways.

Yeah, with the exception of the second episode which was such a trainwreck it became funny again, I couldn't see myself watching it with regular people. Jimmy's a little too mean to be interacting with the general public, especially when they don't generally have the confidence to bite back.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yeah I don't think the show quite works either, it's just that episode 2 specifically is incredible.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Who are some of the better Aussie comedians they could get?

Michael Hing would be perfect for insane approaches to tasks he then tries to defend in the studio portion.

Tom Walker or Demi Lardner would be a delight to watch too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ0Di0IX_Kw

demi and/or tom would bring the david correos style freak energy, it would be good. feels like no reason australia couldn't pull it off

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 19, 2022

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The additional difficulty of not being familiar with a lot of british culture or history covered makes me feel extra stupid, so it's especially good after some Colorado cannabis products.

That's definitely a downside to watching British gameshows, but the upside is eventually you'll watch an episode of Pointless where the question is "name a US state" and 43 of them are pointless answers and you'll feel like a genius.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
True. Pointless makes me feel brilliant at times. But I like Only Connect because the handful of puzzles I do get make me feel pretty good about myself. Like a kid that enjoys Jeopardy because he gets the $200 questions right, and sometimes a $400 one.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Soo since we’re kinda talking that way anyway. What panel shows do y’all recommend? Ive binged the YouTube clips of Would I Lie To You and a decent amount of 8 out 10 cats does countdown. And obviously Taskmaster is my favorite. What else can an American hunt down and enjoy?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Depends on what you've seen before but a couple that I recommend other than the few you've listed include QI: quite interesting and Hypothetical.

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
Never mind the buzzcocks. The focus is pop music, but it’s more about people ripping on each other.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mock The Week is good, reminiscent of Whose Line. The accents can get a little thick for my tender american ears, or maybe Dara slips into Irish occasionally.

Have I Got News For You is okay, too. Obviously they mostly talk UK news but there's occasionally world or american news mixed in.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Big Fat Quiz of the Year has had some TM alumni and they are all on youtube.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
They're not really panel shows, but Travel Man and Gadget Man have a bunch of TM alums as well.

Including The Man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsXNY0pwJxA

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you don't mind radio you can check out The Unbelievable Truth. Series 1-26 is on the Internet Archive. 27 (airing now) is on the BBC Radio 4 website.

Edit: If you're wondering what it is - imagine QI and Would I Lie To You had a baby.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay but I'm absolutely going to imagine them loving first

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

If we're including Radio, then there's always Just a Minute.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
If you want to go back into the archives, you might enjoy 90s panel show spoof Shooting Stars, co-hosted by taskmaster champion Bob Mortimer.

Speaking of Bob, I'm about a month behind on the podcast, which is nearly reached the end of series 5. So I'm gonna try and catch up, and I've just rewatched episode 2. Thoughts on that episode:

Hats: Greg clearly awarded Mark's hat an unjust amount of points for the entertainment value, but that's the show...
Machines: Nobody really did well with the machine aspect of this task. Feel like the S10 task of catapulting the shoes into the bath tub was a successful refinement of this one, making it a timed objective was better than going for range.
Rainbows: The light switch was a really great escape hatch in this task, just the expressions on everyone's faces. And what could be a better capstone than Mark's inabilty to curve the rainbow?
Bread: It's nice to see how just a few simple rules can trip up so many people - and that nothing less will allow Nish to win for once.
Splat: For my money, Wumar deserves the win here for superior forethought: taking a test splat to place Mark correctly. So many of the dropped balloons missed Sally completely.
Paints: Carrot is a smart play on reflection, making it recognisable means making it simple. Lovely to see a bit of co-op painting as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I'm starting to like Paul Williams' assistant persona slightly better than Alex'

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I was really turned off by Jeremy and Paul the first few episodes of S01 but it quickly turned around. I actually really like Jeremy’s dead pan dryness and I’m too good to be here attitude and Paul once he settled in became the perfect assistant.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

paul owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcqO8-uLxiw

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think I'm starting to like Paul Williams' assistant persona slightly better than Alex'

He keeps up the awkwardness brilliantly.
Alex was brilliant in the first few seasons where there was definitely some sort of managerial dom/sub thing going on between Gregg and him, a similar awkwardness that was funny.
But as the series went on Gregg doesn't mildly threaten him any more, and hes lost that sympathetic edge you had for him.
Hes gotten to be a bit cringe in some segments.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 21, 2022

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

happyhippy posted:

He keeps up the awkwardness brilliantly.
Alex was brilliant in the first few seasons where there was definitely some sort of managerial dom/sub thing going on between Gregg and him, a similar awkwardness that was funny.
But as the series went on Gregg doesn't mildly threaten him any more, and hes lost that sympathetic edge you had for him.
Hes gotten to be a bit cringe in some segments.

I kind of agree with this. It's seems from around season 7 on Gregg switched over to picking on the weakest competitor more than Alex, and it doesn't play quite quite as well for me.

Part of what makes season 7 so great it that Rhod happened to be around to pick up the slack with Alex while Gregg focused on abusing James and Phil.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

I was really turned off by Jeremy and Paul the first few episodes of S01 but it quickly turned around. I actually really like Jeremy’s dead pan dryness and I’m too good to be here attitude and Paul once he settled in became the perfect assistant.

It works well with Greg being a stern teacher to a bunch of giggling naughty children making up wild excuses, which matches the UK contestants, while Jeremy is the bemused head warden at the insane asylum just standing back and watching the chaos the NZ lot get into while poor defeated Paul has to deal with the mess.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 21, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Heavy_D posted:

Rainbows: The light switch was a really great escape hatch in this task, just the expressions on everyone's faces. And what could be a better capstone than Mark's inabilty to curve the rainbow?

"It looks worse than what we painted without lights!"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
If there was one thing I wish they'd bring back from early seasons of Taskmaster, it's asking the contestants during tasks what they reckon their competitors made of the same task. This is something they disguise when they do it - generally they edited the prompt itself out, so you just hear the answer to the question. But it's always entertaining when someone can foresee a disaster - smash cut to that disaster. Case in point.

Speeding through series 5, just watched episode 3. Turns out it's still possible to track down footage of Matt "Megatoad" Stonie eating 12 cans of corn in the same time it took Sally to complete the ping pong challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5wQTHCpCkE

Pride: Good category, Nish undoes his own submission masterfully.
Ping-pong: This really seems like a much easier task than the footage suggests.
Coconut: Reasonable range of responses here, Mark's lateral thinking pays off pretty well.
Trio: Absolute classic, so many great moments. Aisling and Alex watching the jelly slide down, "a bit of the old fit of rage", Sally crushing it.
Word-pong: Very funny live task, rare moment of abject cruelty from Alex - but it doesn't really cost Bob dear in the end.

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 21, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just started season 5 with my daughter (her first time through) and I think it's my favourite cast.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

Word-pong:

Do you use Phoenix a lot?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

oh jay posted:

Do you use Phoenix a lot?

I mean, before the rewatch, I knew the context of Phoenix, but I genuinely misremembered it as a galaxy-brain play by one of the contestants. I kept waiting for a word ending in P! Imagine the shock of it just being a dick move by Alex...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Ploughing on through to S05E04...

Souvenirs: interesting to ponder what constitutes a souvenir - I think Sally slightly missed the mark here and did well to get third
Marmite: it's a bizarre task, but I love it. One of those ones that you can spend ages thinking about later and still have no idea how to approach it.
Sync: One that's equally heavy on the planning and the execution. Bit of a shame that Bob made a pigs ear of the trio's dance, because I really wanted to see it executed correctly.
Balloon/Difference: This is such a clever construction of the surprise task - but I like how the inflation half of the task isn't throwaway either, both parts count. Also, "Bye Alex!"
Sneeze: One in a long, prestigious line of bodily function tasks (most recently joined by Get Goosebumps). This is a particularly tricky one, fair play to Bob for managing it.
Greg Says: Fun fact for you - the Norwegian version of Taskmaster is named Kongen Befaler, which literally translates as "The king commands". This is also the name in Norway of the game we call "Simon Says".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Little Alex Horne is genuinely really uncomfortable every time he has to pin something to a woman's chest. I also liked how Greg Davies was legit angry when the prize task was to bring an invention.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh god, Phil Wang's outfit:stonk:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see you've hit season 7, the greatest of all taskmaster.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Yeah, you're in for a treat as a first time watcher. That said, I'm finding it nice to be watching an episode every day, even if it's a rewatch. Series 5 Episode 5 coming up:

High-Octane: Mark's entry is one of the all time prize moments. Here's an outtake which expands on Sally's entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzVcSjCOtgI
Balloon: Wonder if the winning move would be to inflate another balloon inside the balloon? Maybe it would make the inflation process hard work.
"It's a shame the task wasn't make a good noise" - Bob foreshadowing a future task.
Watercooler: Always good to see five very different solves to a task like this. Very typical Mark here - a good thought executed very badly.
Texts: Again, Mark is the victim of hilarious underscoring. Many people have reached out to try and get a complete copy of Cheeky Texts but apparently the prop was not retained! We do have this video of Alex reading a few of them out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EOG1LqiCPg
Cans: One of the tasks where the complexity is part of the joke - and I don't mind that on occasion. Needing to travel between the trolley and Alex does eliminate the simple workaround of moving the table next to the trolley before you start.
Finns: This is a task that the Swedish version of Taskmaster really loves, they've done several variants as live tasks. Then again they have two live tasks a show, so they run out of original tasks faster.
High-Octane Texts: Noticed for the first time that Mark spends his victory lap with the prizes sending what we must presume is a 149th cheeky text to Greg. Mark does better than you remember in the series, because he makes ever victory look like a defeat. Case in point - in the cans task we see how badly the effort he put in compares to his result, and it's easy to forget that six was a winning score.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, you're in for a treat as a first time watcher. That said, I'm finding it nice to be watching an episode every day, even if it's a rewatch. Series 5 Episode 5 coming up:

High-Octane: Mark's entry is one of the all time prize moments. Here's an outtake which expands on Sally's entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzVcSjCOtgI
Balloon: Wonder if the winning move would be to inflate another balloon inside the balloon? Maybe it would make the inflation process hard work.
"It's a shame the task wasn't make a good noise" - Bob foreshadowing a future task.
Watercooler: Always good to see five very different solves to a task like this. Very typical Mark here - a good thought executed very badly.
Texts: Again, Mark is the victim of hilarious underscoring. Many people have reached out to try and get a complete copy of Cheeky Texts but apparently the prop was not retained! We do have this video of Alex reading a few of them out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EOG1LqiCPg
Cans: One of the tasks where the complexity is part of the joke - and I don't mind that on occasion. Needing to travel between the trolley and Alex does eliminate the simple workaround of moving the table next to the trolley before you start.
Finns: This is a task that the Swedish version of Taskmaster really loves, they've done several variants as live tasks. Then again they have two live tasks a show, so they run out of original tasks faster.
High-Octane Texts: Noticed for the first time that Mark spends his victory lap with the prizes sending what we must presume is a 149th cheeky text to Greg. Mark does better than you remember in the series, because he makes ever victory look like a defeat. Case in point - in the cans task we see how badly the effort he put in compares to his result, and it's easy to forget that six was a winning score.

As long as we're posting supplementary unaired footage, here's Ed Gamble performing the heist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJx5iBqYJ4

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Oh god, Phil Wang's outfit:stonk:

The pendulum does draw the eye.

And yeah, season 7 is probably my favorite.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The podcast made a big point about how Mark actually does really, really well in the season, and he tries really hard in his tasks (and pays a lot of money), he just looks and sounds extra pathetic and can't make his case for the life of him in front of Greg. It probably doesn't help that Alex, as his friend, helped in writing tasks specifically setting him up for failure, and then Nish is right there next to him and paired with him as a team, and Nish is much more comfortable with failure and drags him down in spirit.

Trig Discipline posted:

The pendulum does draw the eye.

And yeah, season 7 is probably my favorite.

Season 7 I think is the best, which is interesting because I also think that season 6 is the absolute worst. And then season 8 I had trouble with because Joe Thomas actually got me really depressed at some point.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Everyone hates on season 6 but I still really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite season overall, but it's still got some great moments. In particular Liza's solution for "do something special for the Taskmaster" is one of my all-time favorite moments from the show.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like season 6 is still good TV, it's just a bit of a lull between seasons 5 and 7 which were both much better, so a lot of people rate it harshly in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seven has two Rhod Gilbert moments which cause me to believe he is the greatest UK contestant (the siren and the prize task).