Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ag0at/status/1467870132269731849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
catch me running the canifis rooftop course in osrs......if you can!! I just got graceful cape so basically I'm hot poo poo :cheersdoge:

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Someone must have managed to skip the tutorial and was playing as an ultimate Ironman all along, and is now broken as a person because of the revelation that they could've been banking items.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Soulhunter posted:

Someone must have managed to skip the tutorial and was playing as an ultimate Ironman all along, and is now broken as a person because of the revelation that they could've been banking items.

Accidental Ironman is the dumbest, yet strongest of all the ironmen.

Odovaucer
Oct 23, 2003
Ostrogoth

Soulhunter posted:

nah the game just resets your paths sometimes when it updates because it is a well made game

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.
Finally got this literally the next attempt after bitching in clan chat that I'd been spending 3 hours pickpocketing in priff for the last shard

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Odovaucer posted:

nah the game just resets your paths sometimes when it updates because it is a well made game

They've been tweaking the achievement path system a lot, mostly removing them. Probably pulled too hard on a strand of spaghetti.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
got back into osrs recently

currently attempting to do Sins of the Father, because i want to unlock the half-decent woodcutting exp method for other quest requirements. and i have to say, whoever came up with the vanstrom klaus fight was a rat bastatd

assuming i do everything right, i always end up dying on the lightning phase because the flail has such godawful accuracy that i cant kill him before i inevitably run out of food/get one shot by the lightning

I swear i've spent half a goddamn million gp solely on restocking supplies/unlocking my grave at this point

the worst part is its a legitimately interesting boss, and is engaging to fight, the second phase just hits way too drat hard

e: also, Waffliesinyoface#2134 is not a bot, thats me

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 12, 2021

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
RS3 has inexplicably sucked me backed in. Nice to see we still have a citadel and everything (which I spent time capping already). Just been messing around so far and doing yak steps and got the golden party hat, etc. Guess my goal is to finally complete Plague's End and not be an elf city-less sad sack anymore.

Good to be back! Joined the discord as well.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I keep wanting to go back to OSRS only to remember I'm working on low Slayer and decide to stay away.

I know the missions are 100+ kills so you can grind Slayer more efficiently, but I want to complete missions to purchase things and THAT takes forever at the start.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

If you're talking about farming up slayer points, you can always just do nine tasks at the lowest slayer master, then the tenth at the highest you can use to take advantage of the multiplier.

Alternatively, wilderness slayer is 25 points per task and decently fast unless you end up getting PKed constantly. Could always 3-item to have no risk though.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Forgot to do the Golden Partyhat stuff and I'm missing out on one of the most valuable items in recent history.

:(

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Agoat posted:

Forgot to do the Golden Partyhat stuff and I'm missing out on one of the most valuable items in recent history.

:(

I'd say that if you want it, I'd get it rather now than later. It feels like the price will only go up. I don't really follow the market as I play ironman, but I'm happy that I got the party hat, considering that I wasn't here when the original set was released.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwfn1ZlBq9o

This is next week apparently. I'm a bit busy raiding in XIV but I'll see if I can make time for this on the weekends or something.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Ibblebibble posted:

This is next week apparently. I'm a bit busy raiding in XIV but I'll see if I can make time for this on the weekends or something.

Leagues in OSRS are really good fun, I'm looking forward to this iteration. Can't wait.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Holy poo poo I think I'm gonna come back to the game just for this, it looks nuts

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
For maybe 15 years I thought a 'christmas cracker' was a cracker, like a saltine or something, inside a wrapper. I got an actual cracker for Christmas and pulled it open to find a lovely paper party hat inside and I was both confused and surprised. That was a couple years ago and I my brain still feels conflicted when I hear the word 'christmas cracker'. Why did I think a saltine would somehow transmogrify into a hat? I dunno, but it seems more likely than an evil cat named Bob. Was anyone else a stupid kid?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

a dingus posted:

For maybe 15 years I thought a 'christmas cracker' was a cracker, like a saltine or something, inside a wrapper. I got an actual cracker for Christmas and pulled it open to find a lovely paper party hat inside and I was both confused and surprised. That was a couple years ago and I my brain still feels conflicted when I hear the word 'christmas cracker'. Why did I think a saltine would somehow transmogrify into a hat? I dunno, but it seems more likely than an evil cat named Bob. Was anyone else a stupid kid?

My wife is English and I’m 42 years old. I had no idea a Christmas cracker wasn’t an actual cracker till 2 years ago when we celebrated Christmas at her families house.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I remember opening the christmas crackers in original runescape, getting a party hat or several, and dumping them because man what a waste of bank space.

I also remember thinking "Oh like a saltine? no look at the image it must be some weird English thing".

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

That league thing looks pretty interesting. I haven't touched OSRS since like 2018 for a brief spell and I don't know much about this league system. From what I found it just looks like a seasoned OSRS but do you have to be a member or sign up prior to the event to get in?

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Mysticblade posted:

That league thing looks pretty interesting. I haven't touched OSRS since like 2018 for a brief spell and I don't know much about this league system. From what I found it just looks like a seasoned OSRS but do you have to be a member or sign up prior to the event to get in?

It is a seasoned OSRS, but with each season/league having its own major game warping twists. You do need membership but that carries over across your account, so your account is a member in RS3/OS/League.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Leagues 3 Starts January 19th, and ends March 2nd!

Old School RuneScape Leagues are a seasonal variant of Old School RuneScape revolving around completing various tasks on time-limited servers with additional rules such as area restrictions, trade restrictions and boosted experience rates. Additionally, completing League tasks unlocks relics that further alter the game experience. Participating in the League also gives you currency for the main game that allows you to unlock cool poo poo like this cannon skin:

The meat of the league is the experience multiplier (which starts at 5x, and scales up as you progress) as well as the fragment and relic effects. Fragments offer varying smaller buffs like enabling a chance to find clue scrolls when you light a fire, while relics offer more substantial set effects like the Last Recall teleport that provides an item to return to the last place you teleported from, or variations on Quick Shot, a buff that doubles the attack rate of weapons from a certain class. More examples of relics from previous leagues that may be making a return in some form for the Shattered Relics league can be found here.

Everyone's account starts with a fresh stat wipe (you can use your regular account, it's like a separate save file for Leagues servers), and is locked to Ironman Mode, meaning you cannot trade with other players. Unlike previous leagues, all skills except Defense, Thieving, and Fishing will be locked at the start of the game mode, with additional skills being unlockable through currency gained from completing entries on a massive task list. Similarly, bosses will also be gated by this currency until unlocked by the player. This currency can also be used to skip quests, with varying costs depending on difficulty.

Unlike the main game, some quality of life changes have been enabled to suit the quick pace of leagues mode: your run energy will never deplete, and clue scrolls will be dropped as scroll boxes instead. Waystones (similar to lodestones in RS3) have been placed around major hubs, and will allow you to traverse regions without need for teleport runes.

For everything we know so far, visit the wiki at this link.

Join the GoonScape Discord Server and chat with us - it's our cross-game server for OSRS and RS3, and is generally our replacement for the in-game clan chat most of the time.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Waiting to get authed in discord while I mindlessly deliver library books in Arceuus because I'm a RS3 casual and I have no loving idea what skill to unlock first

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Phoix posted:

Waiting to get authed in discord while I mindlessly deliver library books in Arceuus because I'm a RS3 casual and I have no loving idea what skill to unlock first

There's other docs out there but that's one of the first pinned docs in the leagues chat for OSRS: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BqKv1_Yhvogx0mo4912tkLGWsJfoUSlZdSbqxXvnOS0/edit

In case you want to read it when waiting on stuff, etc.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
These OSRS leageus are cool as HELL.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
They're a really good idea! They work really well for games that basically involve a long grind without terribly much variation (other than what you choose to vary). Runescape is basically the perfect vehicle for bringing PoE-esque leagues into it. I don't even play OSRS but they are sure getting some great support.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Help, I finally managed to recover my account, and now I'm probably gonna be playing OS Runescape. Pray for my safety.

P.S. I joined the goon discord, same username as this one.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I tried everything I could to recovery original account from like 2004/2005 with tons of GP and party hats but no dice. Instead I have started RS3 and I'm actually really liking it. Great time waster while watching other things and it's close enough to the original that I still get the nostalgia.

Still makes me mad I lost that character tho. Had so much poo poo from when runecrafting first came out and I botted farming them. I was so rich.

*EDIT* In discord as ten24#1057

ten_twentyfour fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 26, 2022

Nausium
Jun 3, 2004

chirp.
Only just saw they released the 20 year vet cape earlier than they have in the past. Not sure if I should be hyped or depressed I've been playing this long.

Anyone else get theirs?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I happened to notice it was released today by pure dumb luck, I had the thought to check to see if they'd announced the release date because I didn't remember when in February 2002 that they started tracking account creation times.

The emote is very big.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Getting back into OSRS...what would be a good way for me to make money? These are my skills:

I want to get my hands on a Fire Cape

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I am a pauper who always flips stuff to make cash so don't use my advice for anything but a conversation starter, but I don't think skilling makes good money anymore (besides slayer?). You might have the best luck training your combat up and doing pvm.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Phlegmish posted:

Getting back into OSRS...what would be a good way for me to make money? These are my skills:

I want to get my hands on a Fire Cape

Birdhouses and farming runs are easy and will aways make some money. If you did tempoross for a few hours and got a fishing barrel and some fishing levels you could fish karambwan for 200-400k/hr. Just have to bank every 5 minutes but it's otherwise no clicks required.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

a dingus posted:

I am a pauper who always flips stuff to make cash so don't use my advice for anything but a conversation starter, but I don't think skilling makes good money anymore (besides slayer?). You might have the best luck training your combat up and doing pvm.

I should really give Slayer a proper try. Imagining getting my hands on a basilisk jaw

https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Basilisk_jaw

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I should really give Slayer a proper try. Imagining getting my hands on a basilisk jaw

https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Basilisk_jaw

Basilisk Knights are sort of a trap, so be careful. There's a reason the jaw is so pricey.

That being said, I recommend doing one task of them just to see why everyone immediately re-locks them at the slayer master.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why is that? If I got the jaw I would actually just use it to get the fancy helmet. Tell me if you have one

e: in the meantime making money by making four thousand gold bracelets, I have thousands of gold bars for some reason

e2: I also want this Avernic Hilt Defender

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 13, 2022

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Why is that? If I got the jaw I would actually just use it to get the fancy helmet. Tell me if you have one

e: in the meantime making money by making four thousand gold bracelets, I have thousands of gold bars for some reason

e2: I also want this Avernic Hilt Defender

They take forever to kill, and alternate between magic and melee. You can just pray mage and melee them, but you'll be scarfing a lot of food with those stats. You probably won't be killing many per trip either.

Like I said though, you should try them at least once just to see, and hey you might end up getting lucky.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I actually try all the bad tasks at least once, just to see if what people are saying about them is true. It usually is but hey, experience.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

felt like playing this bullshit again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exmarx posted:

felt like playing this bullshit again