Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Convex posted:

Thatcher sounds like a patronising, slow motion dalek imo

She had voice coaching to lower her whadjamacallit - sound frequency?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28_0gXLKLbk

She must be turning in her grave now - at the end of that in her coached voice she says the greatest divisions in the country are the trade unions at the end of the Labour govt.

Doesn't she know about the English Civil War? And for sure the divisions caused by brexit in particular are horrendous.

Ed: page snipe hm.

102 is a product of 3 primes = 2 x 3 x 17 and at 17 you learn the truth, that love was meant for beauty queens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SuavKHes_Y

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

My favorite part was after like a month, every press outlet in the country switched to paraphrasing what they thought he meant because if they just printed what he said it was too obvious the man was an incompetent lunatic
:chaostrump:
"supposing we hit the body with a tremendous whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light and I think you said that hasn't been checked but you're gonna test it and then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body you can which you can do either through the skin or in some other way and I think you said you're gonna test that too sounds interesting right and then I see the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute one minute and is there way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number of along so it'd be interesting to check that"

:circlefap:
"wow I can't believe that President Trump independently rediscovered the use of ultraviolet blood irradiation therapy against viral infections"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Part of a campaign speech given by Donald Trump in July 2015 posted:

“Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor
and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good
genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton
School of Finance, very good, very smart —you know, if
you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if,
like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m
one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s
true!—but when you’re a conservative Republican they
try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start
off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there,
went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to
give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little
disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the
thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy,
and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is
powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many
years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he
would explain the power of what’s going to happen and
he was right—who would have thought?), but when you
look at what’s going on with the four prisoners—now it
used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and
even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger;
fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they
haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now
than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about
another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators,
the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just
killed, they just killed us.”

E: the hosed formatting kinda helps capture the vibe

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Not a word that I don't know, that's different, but a word that the meaning is generally understood even if only through context, but which I think people only use because they're wankers.

What, like 'rubric'? ;)

(I've only ever seen it on exam papers)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More like other wanky turn of the century words from occultism dressed as psychotherapy, like psychopomp* and hierophant**

* Someone who calls talk radio with strong opinions about Rule, Britannia
** King Babar

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

What, like 'rubric'? ;)

(I've only ever seen it on exam papers)

drat I use this one all the time, but I am objectively, a prëeminent wanker.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

More like other wanky turn of the century words from occultism dressed as psychotherapy, like psychopomp* and hierophant**

* Someone who calls talk radio with strong opinions about Rule, Britannia
** King Babar

And of course a sycophant is a horrible combination of those two

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Borrovan posted:

I think he's that special kind of liberal who thinks it's important to give airtime to the far right so he can DESTROY them with FACTS and LOGIC oh whoops where did the overton window go?!?!?

Consider yourself lucky, he is one of those real sneering nasty fuckers who thinks it makes him sound clever to talk down to everyone all the time

The frustrating thing is he did have a few rants early on about how bizarre it was that Corbyn was getting so much abuse and vitriol for saying perfectly ordinary things which resonate with the public and cause no harm to anyone. But as soon as he realised the grift was easier on the other side of that, he leaned into it without hesitation.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JOB so obviously wants to invite people on to sneer at their opinions to make himself look clever, but what's really funny is when they turn out to actially know what they're talking about and he immediately tries to pivot to "aren't I clever for having such clever friends, lets sneer at someone else"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

it's not just him it's the LBC modus operandi

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

it's not just him it's the LBC modus operandi

Sounds like wanker words to me ... Romani ite domum!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Shameless weekly plug for the only non-sanctioned, wholly unofficial UKMT pod wherein we look at the contents of operation red meat - folks it only means good things for everyone!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1484558028280156168?s=20

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I successfully managed to avoid hearing almost everything Trump said during his term by living in Europe (so not having any English-language news) for the better part of two years, and then not having a TV when I came back. Did not miss his stupid, whiny voice in the slightest. Added bonus was not hearing anything Theresa May said as PM either.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't get arsey about outsiders getting the pronunciation of Canning Town wrong and frankly we should be rejecting all these stupid local rules about how place names are pronounced.

From way back, but it stuck in my head for some reason and literally just this minute at hackney central a woman with a right thick cockney accent asked me how to get to Canning Taaaaaahn, which made me wonder if that's what you meant, cos anyone who isn't cockney saying it that way would seem pretty weird

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
GB News has signed up 13 comedians alongside the regular hosts of their newspaper review programme Headliners:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/01/21/50022/revealed-the-comedians-signed-up-to-gb-news?rss

quote:

Headliners has three alternating hosts: Mark Dolan, Simon Evans and Dominic Frisby.

And now confirmed as the rotating panel of comedians offering comments on the next day’s headlines are: Steve N Allen, Rhona Cameron, Nick Dixon, Andrew Doyle, Josh Howie, Leo Kearse, Sajeela Kershi, Erich McElroy, Diane Spencer and Ian Stone.

I don't really follow comedy so it's not surprising that I don't think I recognise any names. Are they well known?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lady Demelza posted:

Dominic Frisby

I don't really follow comedy so it's not surprising that I don't think I recognise any names. Are they well known?

This one is coming back to me for some reason.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The Dominic Frisby is the Latin for the bit of skin in between the scrotum and the anus.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Frisby

quote:

Frisby co-hosted Money Pit.[29] He is a MoneyWeek contributor[30] and writes for The Guardian.[31] He appeared on Simon Evans Goes to Market on Radio 4 to discuss gold.[32] He is a non-executive director of cryptocurrency startup Coinworks.[33]

Christ what a oval office

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay which one of them is Titania Mcgrath

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Lady Demelza posted:

GB News has signed up 13 comedians alongside the regular hosts of their newspaper review programme Headliners:

oh no

a comedy void of such epic proportions will no doubt create a rift in reality and destroy this universe

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

13 comedians, 1 joke

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Andrew Doyle is the Spiked 'journalist' who came up with Titania McGrath and thinks that calling everything he doesn't like 'woke' is insightful.

Nick Dixon is a disgraced former US president wearing fake facial hair. The disgraced president is Donald Trump

Diane Spencer is no relation to the lady the queen killed.

jiggerypokery posted:

Christ what a oval office
I'm going to fung his ape jpegs while he's on air.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lady Demelza posted:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/01/21/50022/revealed-the-comedians-signed-up-to-gb-news?rss

Rhona Cameron is probably the biggest name there, she was big on the comedy circuit about 20 years ago.
Had a google/youtube of the rest, and they are all brexit nutjobs.
Dominic Frisby latest videos are about gold and bitcoins, so yeah. He's such a cap doffer he has a song 'I Love Wetherspoons!'

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 21, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
DUP wants to keep the fleg flying for child rapists lol https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-60089366

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

The only one I've heard of is Rhona Cameron but I couldn't tell you anything about her or what her comedy is like!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rhona Cameron is a weird one, she's gay and was fairly supportive if the SNP/Independence.

She's also not been on TV since the 90s so that's maybe got something to do with it.

Scanned her Twitter and she doesn't even appear to have gone Terf.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 21, 2022

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

keep punching joe posted:

Rhona Cameron is a weird one, she's gay and was fairly supportive if the SNP/Independence.

She's also not been on TV since the 90s so that's maybe got something to do with it.

Scanned her Twitter and she doesn't even appear to have gone Terf.

Yeah she's just a has-been I think. She was fairly prominent around 2000 I think? Then just kind of quietly disappeared.

Now I guess she needs money and she's going for the easy right-wing grift.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

h
ahaahaahahaha
aaahahhaahhha

hahaha

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Okay which one of them is Titania Mcgrath

I googled that dude, who turns out to be Andrew Doyle who co-wrote Johnathon pie, at least at first.

Johnathon Pie did some good poo poo now and then so that was a surprise to me. Pretty sure he's too remainer for gb news.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A quick stalk of IMDB shows she's been more active as a bit-part actress than a comedian for the last decade or so.

Apparently she was on I'm A Celeb in her heyday and didn't come over well, so maybe that killed off her comedy gigs.

Edit: Rhona Cameron, I mean.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

From way back, but it stuck in my head for some reason and literally just this minute at hackney central a woman with a right thick cockney accent asked me how to get to Canning Taaaaaahn, which made me wonder if that's what you meant, cos anyone who isn't cockney saying it that way would seem pretty weird

Yeah, it's one word, Cannintan, both "a"s pronounced with exactly the same flat A sound.

But people were complaining that outsiders were pronouncing Bury wrong, but the "right" pronunciation is just the word bury in a Bury accent (more or less burr-y), and it would be just as weird to hear a newsreader drop into a flat-cap accent for that town as it would be to hear them drop into an apples-and-pears one to say Canning Town, or a shortbread one for Stirling for that matter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Want to hear cockneys pronounce Nanpantan now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Want to hear cockneys pronounce Nanpantan now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7a-p4psRA

You'll never top this accent trap. I just love the confusion on his face when he heard himself.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7a-p4psRA

You'll never top this accent trap. I just love the confusion on his face when he heard himself.

I feel this guy's pain every time I try to pronounce words like "bathed". Ain't no way that "th" phoneme is ever gonna be pronounced in a Cork accent, so I just avoid the word (and the activity)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I feel this guy's pain every time I try to pronounce words like "bathed". Ain't no way that "th" phoneme is ever gonna be pronounced in a Cork accent, so I just avoid the word (and the activity)

Reminds me of when I learned that our Irish installers pronounce "earthed" with 2 syllables, to rhyme with "flirted". I love the many Englishes that there are and not just because it makes the gammons apoplectic

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jiggerypokery posted:

I googled that dude, who turns out to be Andrew Doyle who co-wrote Johnathon pie, at least at first.

Johnathon Pie did some good poo poo now and then so that was a surprise to me. Pretty sure he's too remainer for gb news.

Jonathan Pie's whole schtick is just typical 'exasperated shouty no-nonsense man' in the Charlie Brooker mould, I used to find the style very funny as an edgy teenager but I'm increasingly put off by it as I get older because by god do these people (or in Pies case the writers) think they're ten times smarter than anyone else in the room. Being grumpy and acerbic doesn't make you any more insightful! It comes off as obnoxious and arrogant and encourages the worst kind of liberal smugness and classism. I think some of Pie's stuff was pretty decent politically at least early on, but I remember him being accused of being a reactionary dickhead at one point and I never really bothered to look much into it. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a poo poo, these kind of people are never as radical as they pretend to be once you get past the very clever swears and yelling.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
This is not UKMT but I did have to post it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0121/1275143-dead-mans-pension/

Please read because within eight seconds it turns from generic fraud into :wtc:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Charlie Brooker is at least a talented writer who can be funny, and a lot of things in Screenwipe still hold up in terms of observations on culture and news media. Jonathan Pie is just some guy standing around shouting and swearing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember him being accused of being a reactionary dickhead at one point and I never really bothered to look much into it.
He's a radical centrist. As in obnoxious but always magically falls on the side of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Aidan_702 posted:

This is not UKMT but I did have to post it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0121/1275143-dead-mans-pension/

Please read because within eight seconds it turns from generic fraud into :wtc:

I shouldn't have laughed as hard at this poo poo as I did lmao