Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have the opposite problems. I can't put a game down if I don't like it or if I'm getting bored of it. I will do every bit of side content because I paid real money for it and want to suck out every little bit of content before moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just pirate everything then instead of forcing yourself to play dreck

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

just don't buy bad games

only buy the good ones

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Name one, if you dare

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

idk I have been playing a shitload of battletech, it seems good. And it's making me want to buy Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries even though I know who developed it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Final Fantasy XIV was pretty good I played a catboy

and QuarkJets is correct Battletech was also good

DO NOT RECOMMEND buy Mechwarrior 5

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

The best video game opinion :hai:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’ve never met a person who complained about the N64 controller and didn’t turn out to be holding it wrong like an idiot. Like it shows you what to do right there in the manual for every game! I’m not saying it wasn’t flawed but it was perfectly serviceable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've always used the n64 pad the "specifically wrong" way and it felt great to me. but i had really big hands even when i was a kid i guess

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

galagazombie posted:

I’ve never met a person who complained about the N64 controller and didn’t turn out to be holding it wrong like an idiot. Like it shows you what to do right there in the manual for every game! I’m not saying it wasn’t flawed but it was perfectly serviceable.

the reason every game has to add a section in its manual showing how to even hold the controller is proof that its design is stupid

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the reason every game has to add a section in its manual showing how to even hold the controller is proof that its design is stupid

There’s literally a section in the manual telling you how to hold the Wiimote. Some people are just stupid and it’s not the controllers fault.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's like, every controller

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I tried googling how to hold the N64 controller and google images seems to think you need three hands, so

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Maybe the 64 controller wasn't that bad. Maybe people just thought the controller was bad because all of the games that were available to be controlled by it are bad :madmax:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

site posted:

that's like, every controller

Wat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The 64 controller was a filter on the fanbase, kind of like how scammers deliberately leave spelling mistakes in a spam email

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Medium Chungus posted:

I'm playing through Omikron The Nomad Soul on a pentium 2 rig I built a few years ago and it had David Bowie in it but it's honestly not a very good game. It has sections where it's supposed to be a fighter style game but it doesn't work well and sections that have a fps shooter layout but those kinda suck too. It tries to do too much and kinda fails at everything.

Omikron was ambitious but overall it loving sucked. The fact that David Cage still had a career after it is kind of baffling to me.

(It's also the game that led to the breakup of the Super Best Friends, so fuckin' RIP there. :sigh:)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

every game a control scheme diagram

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

site posted:

every game a control scheme diagram

but they don't have to tell you how the controller is supposed to sit in your hands, because the design is intuitive and it just slips right into place

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I don't really care about the shape and all that but man that N64 analogue stick loving sucked ballz

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
mm i don't see much of a difference in, say an n64 wrestling game shows that the d-pad moves you up and down, left and right, and then an fps says the control stick up and down, left and right; and a ps1 rpg says the d-pad moves you up down left right, but spyro uses the control stick u/d/l/r

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
neither of those examples involve telling you how to hold the controller
they're just saying what the buttons do, which is fine and normal

did the old psp monhun games come with instructions on how to do the godawful claw grip thing in the manual though?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The 64 controller was perfectly fine because games were designed around it. It wasn't nearly as bad as the virtual boy controller.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah it wasn't as bad as the worst thing in the decade.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

did the old psp monhun games come with instructions on how to do the godawful claw grip thing in the manual though?

that's not a 64 so i wouldn't know. had to google "monhun" cuz i didn't even know what that was tbh

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

satanic splash-back posted:

The 64 controller was perfectly fine because games were designed around it. It wasn't nearly as bad as the virtual boy controller.

this is a fair point.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i wanna play elevator action returns

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That was a good rear end game

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The N64 controller's shape wasn't great but what absolutely kills it is the analog stick grinding itself into a fine powder and making you walk in every game.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Nice Van My Man posted:

The N64 controller's shape wasn't great but what absolutely kills it is the analog stick grinding itself into a fine powder and making you walk in every game.

yeah those things were made like poo poo

I played Goldeneye with a 20 year old not long ago and he was like "you seriously played this for hours when you were a kid? this is terrible." It is. Like, quake came out a year after Goledneye

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I played Goldeneye with a 20 year old not long ago and he was like "you seriously played this for hours when you were a kid? this is terrible." It is. Like, quake came out a year after Goledneye

Have the 20 year old play Quake next for a rude discovery.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

shout out to the neckbeards that played doom and quake with mouse click as move forward

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I do this when I'm playing an fps that wants me to use the d pad to activate certain things like heals or whatever. I don't leave it up there though, I just flick my index there so I don't have to take my thumb off the stick.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

MGS3 for the 3DS worked really well with what it had. Left stick for movement, face buttons for camera control, left bumper aim, right bumper fire. Anything else on the touch screen or on the dpad. Honestly a great port all around, some framerate issues aside.

Way too many games expect you to use the face buttons for actions as well as the right stick for camera control and it's always a nightmare having to do the claw hand.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Redezga posted:

That's a pretty fair reason to be critical of controller design. Personally my most hated controller was the Atari CX10 because it was pretty stiff and hurt my four year old wrists. Maybe it was just me but I refuse to believe they were ever designed with the notion that a child would ever play video games with them.

I just learned to type and use a mouse, I can use sticks pretty well but I can never be competitive with a left stick ever. For any reason. Slamming my monkey thumb on a spacebar is just easier than trying to train it to do a bunch of really complex poo poo that it isn't equipped for.

Nintendo is really bad about stuff like this, but I also don't really loving expect people to cater to it either.

edit: except for the pro controller the pro controller is really dope as far as a dual stick offset controller for monkeythumb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still kinda wanna order the Switch Genesis/Mega Drive controller and play SNES games with it. And yes, I have the Switch SNES controller. It's not for any reason but for the perverse pleasure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grape posted:

Have the 20 year old play Quake next for a rude discovery.

I played the remaster that just came out and had so much fun I finished it. Conversely, even when it was new, I did not beat Goldeneye

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Quake actually came out the year before GoldenEye, to underscore the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Barudak posted:

I played the remaster that just came out and had so much fun I finished it. Conversely, even when it was new, I did not beat Goldeneye

My experience with those games was when they were new, and the quake remaster is sick everyone should get on MP rn

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 22, 2022