Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FreshFeesh posted:

I tried joining a new level 1 D&D game with some internet randos, and boy I wasn't expecting the reception I received.

Stats were rolled (4d6, drop lowest) in a single set; what you roll is what you're stuck with. Most of the team had a single attribute at 16 at the highest, and most had one below 10. I came in and the dice decided to change things up in a big way: 13, 13, 15, 16, 17, 17.

After introducing my character and us tromping around the forest for a MacGuffin of the week, the party camped out for a long rest. It was then that the other characters beat mine to death.

They apparently felt that it was "unfair" that I rolled better stats, and wanted to force me to play a new character so I didn't "outshine" the rest of the group. The DM thought this was all well and good.

Oddly enough, I decided not to continue with that campaign.

Can't imagine why, they seemed like a well-adjusted group of people.
I mean, poo poo, what would have happened the first time you rolled a nat 20 on something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

the_steve posted:

Can't imagine why, they seemed like a well-adjusted group of people.
I mean, poo poo, what would have happened the first time you rolled a nat 20 on something?

"Wow, i rolled a natural 20 on that charisma check"

"Alright everybody roll for initiative"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
God, nerds are just the worst.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreshFeesh posted:

I tried joining a new level 1 D&D game with some internet randos, and boy I wasn't expecting the reception I received.

Stats were rolled (4d6, drop lowest) in a single set; what you roll is what you're stuck with. Most of the team had a single attribute at 16 at the highest, and most had one below 10. I came in and the dice decided to change things up in a big way: 13, 13, 15, 16, 17, 17.

After introducing my character and us tromping around the forest for a MacGuffin of the week, the party camped out for a long rest. It was then that the other characters beat mine to death.

They apparently felt that it was "unfair" that I rolled better stats, and wanted to force me to play a new character so I didn't "outshine" the rest of the group. The DM thought this was all well and good.

This is why I'm wary of playing with random people on the Internet. Because sometimes they find each other and become a horde.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FreshFeesh posted:

There should be an alternate system for determining attributes so that there is balance across the party. I'm thinking like a system where everyone gets a certain number of points instead of rolling dice, and just allocates them. We could call it, just spit balling here, "buy-point system," or something like that. Hmmmmm

No, no. No time for ideas. We spent too much time on becoming sociopaths already. Time to start the campaign.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FreshFeesh posted:

Were you playing Three Dirty Dwarves?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
If players don't want other players being wildly overpowered or underpowered compared to them then they should not roll for stats. It's a very simple solution to a very simple problem. Unless there's a very good reason for it, rolling for stats is one of my warning signs for the few times I have played outside of known friend groups.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

HiKaizer posted:

If players don't want other players being wildly overpowered or underpowered compared to them then they should not roll for stats. It's a very simple solution to a very simple problem. Unless there's a very good reason for it, rolling for stats is one of my warning signs for the few times I have played outside of known friend groups.

Yeah. All joking aside, there's no reason not to use a point-buy system or something like that for D&D. Some players get drawn in by the old school nostalgia of rolling for them, but it is always better in one's imagination than in practice. You always get someone overpowered and someone underpowered, both in a system which is locking those characters into those stats basically forever, and in a system which is very mechanically deterministic. You can't improv your way out of as much in D&D as you can in less tactical/more theatrical systems, so if you're stuck with bad stats you're stuck being loving useless. It's a bad idea and no one should do it in 2022 C.E.

A friend of mine recently started a 5E campaign with a group of players who wanted that old school magic of randomizing attributes. The DM knew better, but wanted to give them what they wanted somehow. I gave him the idea of having the players use the point-buy system, but to shuffle and blind all of the attributes so that they didn't know which individual attribute they were putting the points into until it was all done. Put them in order, then lift the blinds. You get what you get basically randomly, but everyone has the same amount of attribute points. It went well, apparently, and it nudged some players into playing classes they had never tried before.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I can't believe that I never thought of it, but I had an epiphany moment when someone, probably in this thread, said that ability bonuses should be tied to class and not race. Blew my mind a bit and no mistake. I asked in another thread and Josh Sawyer (yes, that one) said that he just didn't like ability scores in games. I can't gainsay him as they are divisive at best, but the concept is so ingrained in me by years and years of 2e (and they're even more critical in 3e) that I can't imagine RPGs without them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

I can't believe that I never thought of it, but I had an epiphany moment when someone, probably in this thread, said that ability bonuses should be tied to class and not race. Blew my mind a bit and no mistake. I asked in another thread and Josh Sawyer (yes, that one) said that he just didn't like ability scores in games. I can't gainsay him as they are divisive at best, but the concept is so ingrained in me by years and years of 2e (and they're even more critical in 3e) that I can't imagine RPGs without them.

I feel you have to have ability scores because otherwise games risk devolving into "I shot you / no you didn't" arguments.

I do agree that they should be tied to class more than race, but that's a discussion for another thread.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Playing a game with a narrative focus instead of a tactical focus changes the nature of rules entirely. If the players trust each other to respect each other's characters and narrative threads than you don't need many, or even any rules with your game. While there are plenty of stories of rules free roleplaying games ending in drama, the are also many more that the players just enjoy and never end up being shared beyond immediate friends. Plus there are lots of times when you have a good group and your GM still bends or ignores the rules to let you have a cool moment. It's the same thing. That's the trust that you're both playing in good faith.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Railing Kill posted:

There should be an alternate system for determining attributes so that there is balance across the party. I'm thinking like a system where everyone gets a certain number of points instead of rolling dice, and just allocates them. We could call it, just spit balling here, "buy-point system," or something like that. Hmmmmm

No, no. No time for ideas. We spent too much time on becoming sociopaths already. Time to start the campaign.

This is why I like GURPS. GM sets a budget and you pick attributes, advantages, disadvantages, traits, etc. within that budget.

FreshFeesh posted:

friendly hellfire

:stonklol: I mean, I've experienced intentional friendly fire in a campaign before but it was at least justified by the fact that I knocked him out by mistake and proceeded to use his body as a club.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Ah, 'friendly hellfire'... the lost expansion for Diablo I. Instead of killing demons you give them flowers and help them meet other compatible demons with similar interests.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Ah, 'friendly hellfire'... the lost expansion for Diablo I. Instead of killing demons you give them flowers and help them meet other compatible demons with similar interests.

"Ah... impossible meat!"

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

FreshFeesh posted:

I hope this was an actual "evil party" game, because a good aligned party murdering a party member due to petty jealousy while the DM allows it... :gonk:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
By the way, the lost right fielder was indeed called Nobody. Sorry that that didn't make it in.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Agrikk posted:

Nobody is playing right field.

Ahem

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I saw the posts silly, I was just clarifying the issue if anyone gave a toss.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

JustJeff88 posted:

I saw the posts silly, I was just clarifying the issue if anyone gave a toss.

Tomorrow is the pitcher though, I assume he’d be giving the toss?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

NumptyScrub posted:

I hope this was an actual "evil party" game, because a good aligned party murdering a party member due to petty jealousy while the DM allows it... :gonk:

Nope! Most of the party were some flavor of Good or Neutral. IC actions for wholly OOC reasons. So strange that the group was having difficulty finding a fifth.

Also I forgot to mention that this was a paid campaign.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I hope you got your loving money back.

If I in some bizarro world became the DM of the group your ghost/revenant/lich would dog and haunt those chumps' steps forever.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Preechr posted:

Tomorrow is the pitcher though, I assume he’d be giving the toss?

No, there's no game Tomorrow.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

CobiWann posted:

No, there's no game Tomorrow.

poo poo, I can't play next week because rolls 2d6 my cousin's stepdad's kid is rolls 2d10 having a bat mitzvah, and I can't get out of it because rolls 4d6, drops lowest I can't convince them they're not Jewish just because they saw Alfred Molina in Fiddler on the Roof the one time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Personally I think nobody likes the Designated Hitter Rule and he should be fired.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Tunicate posted:

Personally I think nobody likes the Designated Hitter Rule and he should be fired.

You're thinking of No One. Nobody is outspoken about the Designated Critical Hitter Rule, where whoever's had the shittiest rolls all night can be given one encounter of rerolls on successes, potentially resulting in a crit. It's popular in the minor leagues, anyway.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

FreshFeesh posted:

No game is better than Bad game where the other players beat you to death.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
imagine meeting a dude who can run faster than you, who's actively helping you and your friends do your thing, and just caveman style beating him to death in the night. What a powerful weirdo energy. I'd almost be tempted to stay a couple more sessions just to see how nuts they were.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had rolled up a druid specifically to help buff/heal the rest of the party, too. It wasn’t like I was going to wade into combat and beat up enemies with my big paper dick or dominate social encounters.

It’s a funny (bizarre) event from the outside but pure :stare: while it happened

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

FreshFeesh posted:

I had rolled up a druid specifically to help buff/heal the rest of the party, too. It wasn’t like I was going to wade into combat and beat up enemies with my big paper dick or dominate social encounters.

It’s a funny (bizarre) event from the outside but pure :stare: while it happened

idk, that strikes me less as funny and more as a real spooky red flag.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My DM's problem - A Rogue in his Wednesday night game poking every chest with a 10-foot pole to check for mimics.

My DM's solution - A Mimic that spits globs of acidic slime, with a range of 30 feet.

My DM's rationale - "Have you seen the Monster Manual and its' descendants? Evolution is alive and well in Dungeons & Dragons, and it leads to some hosed up survival mechanisms."

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

My DM's problem - A Rogue in his Wednesday night game poking every chest with a 10-foot pole to check for mimics.

My DM's solution - A Mimic that spits globs of acidic slime, with a range of 30 feet.

My DM's rationale - "Have you seen the Monster Manual and its' descendants? Evolution is alive and well in Dungeons & Dragons, and it leads to some hosed up survival mechanisms."

Turns out the 10 ft pole is also a mimic

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Turns out the 10 ft pole is also a mimic

I was just gonna say, give the mimic the supernatural ability to copy its consciousness into a single item that touches it once per day. Throw a rock at it instead? Congrats! You're now fighting a mimic and a rock that can throw itself.

It would at least be a fun escalation of paranoia, and it just effectively gives the mimic a second attack with no extra benefits outside of a 1dX die roll.

just don't touch the mimic with a wand of fireball

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Who says the mimic can't take a few pokes? They're ambush predators; not going to act until their prey is right at hand.

One of my old DMs loved creative mimics. His best trick was one disguised as a wagon; when the rogue got in to check for loot, SNAP.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cobalt-60 posted:

One of my old DMs loved creative mimics. His best trick was one disguised as a wagon; when the rogue got in to check for loot, SNAP.

Your old DM worked on Enter the Gungeon?

https://twitter.com/dave_crooks/status/1020451171914461190

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

FreshFeesh posted:

Nope! Most of the party were some flavor of Good or Neutral. IC actions for wholly OOC reasons. So strange that the group was having difficulty finding a fifth.

Also I forgot to mention that this was a paid campaign.

Any DM that endorses party member murder by Good aligned characters because they are stat jealous, and does not impose involuntary alignment changes for it... :psypop:

:sever: was definitely the right call

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I remember seeing someone mentioning a similar situation where a guy and a friend tried a new vampire game and were party killed in the first session, except there was also a couple hours of the other players arguing over what order to Diablerize in order to min/max generation count

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I recall reading about that, and that they find out that group regularly invites newbies just to do that to diablerize

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, Critical Race Theory is welcome at his table - how else will we warn future generations about the evils of kenders?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, Critical Race Theory is welcome at his table - how else will we warn future generations about the evils of kenders?

Not the Kender Surprise I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
My group and I had one of those off the wall world building moments last night.

It's a campaign world we built together using a simple map game called Mappa Imperia and the history fleshed out with Microscope, and one of the background character who came up is a necromancer known as the Golden Lich - who is out to conquer the world economically rather than force of arms.

The party just hit level 2 with a huge pile of cash - wagon loads of copper, silver, gold and jewelry after they took out a Troll chieftain who was trying to set himself up as a tax collector. Of course, they don't want to (literally) cart this around with them everywhere.
So the question comes up - are there banks?
Of course they are, and of course the Golden lich would staff them with undead.
So they visit the bank in the nearest city, speak with the skeleton behind the desk, open their account and get their.... debit cards.

Now, I was on a bit of a roll at this point, and wanted something unique and creepy/comical to keep the theme up - so each player got a bag, inside the bag was a shrunken head of someone who defaulted on their loans to the bank, and now is cursed to spend eternity as the undead equivalent of a bank card/banking app. It can tell anyone the balance in the account, and transfer money between other bank accounts.
I even went on to say, as the bank wants all its customers to have a good amount of money to open an account, these shrunken heads are something of a status symbol, worn in prominent places to tell people "I am a person of status."

As they leave the bank, they see a sign "Default on your loans, lose your bones."

At which point one of the players says "You know, we've faced demons, pirates and a whole village of ogres, but this bank is the thing that scares me the most."

Job done I say.