Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've only just realized the thread title typos McElroy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

i've only just realized the thread title typos McElroy

:aaaaa:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

They're funniest when riffing off a question, I dunno why they refuse to do more than one an episode.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lou Bega is too busy playing at concerts set up by fascist governments in support of border patrols brutalizing immigrants

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

In the latest TAZ, it was very funny and satisfying to have Travis try to persuade his way out of combat over and over only for it to not work because he started it by making the room explode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sankara posted:

They're funniest when riffing off a question, I dunno why they refuse to do more than one an episode.

I just realized that I've been listening for like 6 years at least and I can't remember them ever saying on an episode how you submit a question.

e: like, on Judge John Hodgman he specifically asks for cases and gives an email address at the end of every episode.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 21, 2022

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Zero One posted:

This showed up in my YouTube recommendations today for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G1v5U6pYkY

Six parts, over 8 hours of Munch Squad.

I know he's doing a bit but this man is incredible. It's like a man who never developed a filter past middle school.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Entropic posted:

I just realized that I've been listening for like 6 years at least and I can't remember them ever saying on an episode how you submit a question.

e: like, on Judge John Hodgman he specifically asks for cases and gives an email address at the end of every episode.

I just submitted a Wizard of the Cloud, so I had to look it up: mbmbam@maximumfun.org

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Sankis posted:

In the latest TAZ, it was very funny and satisfying to have Travis try to persuade his way out of combat over and over only for it to not work because he started it by making the room explode.
Yeah, honestly it was satisfying for Griffin to finally push back against Devo's crazy Persuasion bonus

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

It annoys me when people think high persuasion rolls should "just work" every time even if that makes absolutely no sense for the NPC or situation, so that was very refreshing. It also frustrates me when PCs pick fights for no loving reason or assume they can just kick everyone's rear end in every situation to get what they want (probably because I keep having to be the one bailing my party out of those situations, lol), so seeing Devo get his rear end whupped for overplaying that hand was satisfying. It does seem like Travis is intentionally making Devo's anger issues come up in sub-optimal ways rather than just being an overconfident player, which is interesting for story purposes, but it will be a relief once he shows some character growth and isn't such a hostile little gently caress to people he could be neutral or friends with.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Clint is having a blast and that makes each episode fun.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's a good discussion of stupid skill things in 3.5e on this page of an old thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=218

I AM THE MOON

the next page is also amusing in that it talks about walking on a cloud of blunt smoke, but there are also two separate "it was a different time" posts, so if you're sensitive to anything in that category of bad topics, stick to the linked page.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Shinjobi posted:

Clint is having a blast and that makes each episode fun.

Zoox just bodying everyone while Devo ran around trying to do persuade rolls was hilarious

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I really liked Amber just staying out of all of it until she absolutely HAD to do something. Justin seems to get a handle on his characters really quickly I think.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Amber’s good out here.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Froghammer posted:

Yeah, honestly it was satisfying for Griffin to finally push back against Devo's crazy Persuasion bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tFyuk4-uDQ

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think this is where Brennan Lee Mulligan really shines as a GM, a good roll is never allowed to bypass the characters or scenario that are present.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today's munch squad is a minute or so of commercial audio, which apparently references an old rear end commercial that Justin and Griffin remembered but Travis did not.

It is above me

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Stroop There It Is posted:

It annoys me when people think high persuasion rolls should "just work" every time

This is the "Monopoly Tax Money Goes Into Free Parking" rule of tabletop gaming, in that everyone seems to think it's a thing, it makes the game actively less fun, and it's very tedious. Every time I hear a DM go "wow that's a high roll, well, I guess you change this person's entire moral code" I sigh.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zutaten posted:

This is the "Monopoly Tax Money Goes Into Free Parking" rule of tabletop gaming, in that everyone seems to think it's a thing, it makes the game actively less fun, and it's very tedious. Every time I hear a DM go "wow that's a high roll, well, I guess you change this person's entire moral code" I sigh.

Unless it's funny.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Zutaten posted:

Not so much a tabletop thing as other roleplaying thing but It's even better when people expect other player's characters to abide by high persuasion rolls

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sankis posted:

Not so much a tabletop thing as other roleplaying thing but It's even better when people expect other player's characters to abide by high persuasion rolls

The Alien RPG has a mechanic where if anyone fails a contested Manipulation test they either have to do as the winner asks or they can attack them instead. Not suitable for every game system but absolutely works in the context of Alien.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zutaten posted:

This is the "Monopoly Tax Money Goes Into Free Parking" rule of tabletop gaming, in that everyone seems to think it's a thing, it makes the game actively less fun, and it's very tedious.

I've been discussing this poo poo extensively with an IRL but also goon buddy of mine and that's the exact loving example I used.

it isn't surprising on this kind of live-play podcast where everybody is (proudly) hazy on the rules, but something about moving to difficulty checks in 3e seems to have led to a lot of punting a d20 to see what happens. (not a value judgment/edition war declaration, since there's basically no system for this in 2e. or hell, maybe there is, which just proves the point that people think they know the rules but don't.)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://twitter.com/RadioIndia1110/status/1485772170563178496

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

This is my favorite very small feud.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I love photos so washed out that the subject's already very white skin just blends into the background

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1485690327461777416?s=21

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1485779383566540800?s=21

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
loving lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s an pro picture choice as well.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

#Justin

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was like "I didn't think sawbones had that much community outreach" then I was like "drat they didn't credit Dr. McElroy?"

Then it hit me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pack your bags, folks, cause on TAZ this week we're going on a trip~.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
wait, I forgot to cancel Griffin for being a royalist

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've long since accepted that the tastes of the Besties do not match my own.

It's kinda enjoyable that this week's episode therefore has them arguing over their tastes against each other. Big lol for Justin preaching the gospel of Fortnite though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm not sure how often Justin's tastes and my own overlap, but I do think if he has an interesting point to make, he usually does it in a good way and makes me think about things.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTAkRHGbuM

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

He's still very very very very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

BDG is great though some of his more recent stuff has been a bit hit or miss for me, which I is just the nature of producing regular funny content on YouTube. Still when he hits he hits hard.