Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Canuckistan posted:

I put about an hour into Outer Wilds and got to the moon. There doesn't seem to be any survival or basebuilding aspects. Just exploration and story?

I've been trying to mod Subnautica on Gamepass so I can use the VR enhancement mod. What a pain in the rear end. At this point I think I'll buy it on Steam the next time it's on sale.

Yeah that's pretty much it, but the way that the exploration ends up feeling once you get invested into the story is very similar to Subnautica for me. The first like 5 hours are slow because you don't know what you're really looking at ever, but trust me, it's worth it to power through!

Mods sound cool, I might try a second playthrough with some mods possibly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

zeldadude posted:

Mods sound cool, I might try a second playthrough with some mods possibly...

This is a dark and fun path, be warned :twisted:

I’ve got a ]ton installed

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Oh wait, I didn’t realize there’s a suit that will up my heat resistance. That should help me rescue my Prawn maybe

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've actually been playing Outer Wilds lately, and while I get why people think of them as related, it's a very different and unique experience. No building, no crafting, no resources at all, just exploration. And although exploration is the focus, the scope of what you're exploring is fairly narrow. There's not very much flavor or fluff, nearly anything and everything you find is just related to the one central mystery (which is admittedly composed of a series of mysteries). There's a lot more empty spaces in the world.

But I will say that Outer Wilds being so focused means that you get a fairly unique kind of gameplay where in-between noodling around exploring, you can make progress on the game when you're not even playing, just by thinking hard about where you haven't gone yet or thinking about loose ends that you haven't tied up yet. I'm not really a fan of a lot of the style of storytelling of the game, but the experience of just thinking through the clues and things opening up from that is pretty interesting, and a really unique one. Although I'm nearly at the end, after exploring every celestial body and there's only one question mark left on my big board of things and I've been stumped by how to actually get there to do something with it.

Also the the thing about Outer Wilds that people don't talk about much is that the main gameplay is that the whole thing is a first person astrophysics simulator where you gotta do things with orbits and relative velocity, which if you're a space nerd, good, but if you're not, there it is. There's also "quantum" stuff which I think is kinda dumb.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Outer Wilds is a survival game but in a more epic, existential sense.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m having serious issues figuring out what to do in Subnautica, I think Outer Wilds would just kill me

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Made some progress through some sort of lava/hot area and finally found Kyanite

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Thanks for the help everyone — I think I’m nearing the end. Just had a chat with the leviathan about her eggs

Edit: finished. What a game. Below Zero now

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 21, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've actually been playing Outer Wilds lately, and while I get why people think of them as related, it's a very different and unique experience. No building, no crafting, no resources at all, just exploration. And although exploration is the focus, the scope of what you're exploring is fairly narrow. There's not very much flavor or fluff, nearly anything and everything you find is just related to the one central mystery (which is admittedly composed of a series of mysteries). There's a lot more empty spaces in the world.

But I will say that Outer Wilds being so focused means that you get a fairly unique kind of gameplay where in-between noodling around exploring, you can make progress on the game when you're not even playing, just by thinking hard about where you haven't gone yet or thinking about loose ends that you haven't tied up yet. I'm not really a fan of a lot of the style of storytelling of the game, but the experience of just thinking through the clues and things opening up from that is pretty interesting, and a really unique one. Although I'm nearly at the end, after exploring every celestial body and there's only one question mark left on my big board of things and I've been stumped by how to actually get there to do something with it.

Also the the thing about Outer Wilds that people don't talk about much is that the main gameplay is that the whole thing is a first person astrophysics simulator where you gotta do things with orbits and relative velocity, which if you're a space nerd, good, but if you're not, there it is. There's also "quantum" stuff which I think is kinda dumb.

Where are you stuck at, out of curiosity? Also the Quantum stuff, like everything else in the game, is an exercise in knowledge and understanding. You can do the Quantum Moon easily if you understand its rules, it's a question of learning them.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

How do you guys feel about survival vs freedom in Below Zero? I played about 10 hours of survival in Subnautica before getting annoyed and restarting in freedom.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It was okay in the first game because it added to the logistics challenge of a long journey, but adds nothing to BZ since everything is so close together.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Also, I don’t think I encountered a single time capsule in my entire playthrough

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Frozen Zero doesn't give you the coral + salt recipe, so I guess there's a little extra fretting over your water supply for a while. I guess if you want to get through the game faster and you're not interested in collecting food to get more secure with staying alive, do the mode with less survival stuff, but I've never tried that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Where are you stuck at, out of curiosity? Also the Quantum stuff, like everything else in the game, is an exercise in knowledge and understanding. You can do the Quantum Moon easily if you understand its rules, it's a question of learning them.

I think the biggest trouble I had with the quantum stuff actually came from the fact that I didn't realize that the ship itself can fire scouts, although even after understanding the rules, I'm still grumpy because in a game that otherwise is about physics simulation, here's a total nonsense concept in the mix that is already hooked into a rule of physics that is often misunderstood in pop culture.

As for the point where I'm stuck, I mean it when I say I've explored every single celestial body. Everything on the rumors board is grey except for the question mark of the Ash Twin Project. I've been through Dark Bramble, found Feldspar and the Vesssel, I've gone into the core of the big gassy planet, I've been through everything on Ember Twin and Brittle Hollow (Hanging City and Black Hole forge are marked as complete), I found the one Nomai structure on Hollow's Lantern, I met the Nomai on the Quantum Moon, I've been to the Sun Station and even checked all the warp pads, I've been back and forth a bunch to White Hole Station, I've been inside the Comet to the core. I've even seen the Nomai underwater stuff inside Timber Hearth. There just doesn't seem to be a way inside of Ash Twin.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

As for the point where I'm stuck, I mean it when I say I've explored every single celestial body. Everything on the rumors board is grey except for the question mark of the Ash Twin Project. I've been through Dark Bramble, found Feldspar and the Vesssel, I've gone into the core of the big gassy planet, I've been through everything on Ember Twin and Brittle Hollow (Hanging City and Black Hole forge are marked as complete), I found the one Nomai structure on Hollow's Lantern, I met the Nomai on the Quantum Moon, I've been to the Sun Station and even checked all the warp pads, I've been back and forth a bunch to White Hole Station, I've been inside the Comet to the core. I've even seen the Nomai underwater stuff inside Timber Hearth. There just doesn't seem to be a way inside of Ash Twin.

Have you been to The Black Hole Forge?

...this might be better put in the Outer Wilds thread

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I always do Freedom, the hunger and thirst mechanics aren't particularly interesting to me.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I only found one escape pod but it had an Ion battery and a Trucker's Cap that sat proudly on the desk of my best till I put it in my own escape pod.

I started the game with survival on for a few hours. I got annoyed by the constant need to eat and hunting for fish. However after a few hours in freedom, I restarted the game with survival back on. Once I had figured out the basic loop of gameplay and how to go use the grav traps to fish and get fresh water, I thought the game was better for the addition of supplies. It was like I had figured something out and make the planet work for me and that was a good feeling in the game, especially cause I don't really play survival games before this one.

I do think the first time you play the game, the survival aspect is not well defined and can get a bit frustrating. However after getting my feet wet so to speak, I greatly enjoyed its addition to the overall game. I do think they could guide you a bit better through it at the start tho.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think the most basic piece of advice is scan everything then read the log about what you just scanned. The game tells you if something is edible or whatever it’s other applications are, you just need to go look in the log. Probably why the devs made it where you actually had to visit a log page to clear the “new entry” notification, rather than being able to clear with just a right click somewhere along the line.

A friend of mine spelled that out for me, because I was struggling initially too. They don’t really tell you to go read the logs, as far as I remember.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Frozen Zero doesn't give you the coral + salt recipe, so I guess there's a little extra fretting over your water supply for a while. I guess if you want to get through the game faster and you're not interested in collecting food to get more secure with staying alive, do the mode with less survival stuff, but I've never tried that.

I think the biggest trouble I had with the quantum stuff actually came from the fact that I didn't realize that the ship itself can fire scouts, although even after understanding the rules, I'm still grumpy because in a game that otherwise is about physics simulation, here's a total nonsense concept in the mix that is already hooked into a rule of physics that is often misunderstood in pop culture.

Water isn't a problem in below zero because the new plants they added are so busted. Once you get planters you can just drop a few planters across the map and you're done.

For Ash Twin, there is no physical access. This is mentioned in a conversation somewhere, the interior of the planet must be completely inaccessible for it to survive long enough to function.

For hints think about how you got to the black hole forge and the sun station.

More specifically you have not explored all the teleport towers on Ash Twin.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with being a space nerd, I think it's pretty intuitive to grasp movement and acceleration and orbits without knowing anything about the math or principles. Ya gonna underestimate the sun's gravity and crash right into a bunch, but since you get as much trial & error as you want to get a feel for moving in the ship or with your jetpack, seems like you build a natural feel of how to move about in the first hours zipping around. It also helps you can see and feel that you have these jets blasting off where you push them to. Weirdly some of the lighter gravity planet's where you can build up momentum and long jump also feel a ton like when you're in a dream and can kind of fly/leap/glide in the same sort of arcs.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

omg chael crash posted:

How do you guys feel about survival vs freedom in Below Zero? I played about 10 hours of survival in Subnautica before getting annoyed and restarting in freedom.

Food/water is easy in BZ. Toss a grav trap in front of your base and it will be covered in fish.

However, one benefit to survival in BZ is you can eat hot peppers to restore your heat.
My first playthroughs with freedom I couldn't do that, but it was beta so that may have changed. This made exploring the above ground areas much easier.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I already want to replay Subnautica

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nothing can stop you. Odds are there's some big stompy things that you missed anyways.

It's a great thing that so many indie games end up forging their own unique flavors of game, but you do end up without replacements when you finish a game you really like.

uPen posted:

For hints think about how you got to the black hole forge.

You mean, flying my ship directly inside the planet and parking it on the ceiling because getting back to the surface after going inside the planet is a pain in the dick? :v:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

omg chael crash posted:

Definitely a personal thing. I don’t play freedom because it kills my interest in advancing through the game for some reason, even now that I’m doing a Subnautica embark every year or two just for nostalgia (and to marvel at how much better the experience is with some mods).

The game is buggy in a way which makes me wish I liked freedom, for sure. My compromise is to console things in if I get particularly frustrated, and not care too much if I die and have to corpse run.

Also I’ve always had an internal rule of keeping a non-negotiable amount of basic survival supplies with me, or in vehicle storage, so I’m not sure if I’ve ever died of hunger or thirst.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

omg chael crash posted:

I already want to replay Subnautica

I play it like once every 30-60 days whenever I just need something to relax to.
Fully modded though.
But still fun as hell.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I may pick it up on PC to so can try out some mods. What are the big ones people use?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Theres a bunch, some rather cheaty, some just useful.
Easycraft takes items from local lockers to craft with (this is handy because it converts stuff like quartz to glass automatically)
One locker to dump into and autosorting into color coded lockers
Theres a suit radio so you dont have to keep going back each time you leave and theres a new radio signal pops up (this drove me batty)

Larger inventory
Scanning will start giving you its items instead of 2 titanium
Map
I would just take some time one day and look through.
If you do get it on pc, just take some time to browse and find your level of cheatiness.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/?BH=7

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 22, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like the autosort lockers and vehicle inventory lockers.

Also I like the alien containment overflow mod - if you have an alien containment unit and a bioreactor in the same base, creatures over the unit limit will be automatically sent to become biomass. It's a little cheaty, but it's so convenient and it's something that you would be doing manually anyway.

The easy crafting mod was already mentioned but that one is definitely a must-have for me.

White lights, resource monitor, more quick slots... Really you can go to the popular tab on nexusmods and most things on the first two pages are good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“Fish in aquariums will breed” is one of my favorites. One small tank with breeding Reginalds is all you’d ever need food-wise, and you can just select them (rather than have to go into the alien containment after them).

Paired with the overflow mod mentioned earlier, you’ve potentially got unlimited power that’s non-nuclear/non-solar.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I like the autosort lockers and vehicle inventory lockers.

God this would’ve saved me hours

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Endless Trash posted:

God this would’ve saved me hours

Autosort + resource monitor screen + easycraft are the big 3 to knock out a bunch of tedium. They seem fairly balanced, too. Autosort locker receivers require magnetite, and the actual sorter itself wants rubies beyond that. The small resource screen wants an advanced wiring kit, among other things. Easycraft can build recipe prereqs, but spends a little bit more energy to do so.

Those 3 (and maybe one of the “make anything into ingots or stacks/unpack those ingots/stacks back to their base material” mods) are the best QoL mods I know of for this game.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

The Seatruck is kind of weird and a little funny. Does this thing replace the Cyclops and Seamoth?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, but that’s the intent. :colbert:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The more modules you attach to your truck, the slower it goes. So if you want it to work like a seamoth, just pilot the front end around (it's still slower than the moth but honestly with Subnautica that's kind of a blessing. The world in BZ is smaller anyway)

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
You're only slightly less likely to murder Peepers with it than the Seamoth!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HiKaizer posted:

You're only slightly less likely to murder Peepers with it than the Seamoth!

Why would you claim that's a positive? :confused:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

My first name is Gary and the Garryfish is VERY insulting

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The truck isn't as good as the seamoth, but it's a lot better than the cyclops.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nothing is better than the cyclops

But the seattuck is a straight up murder machine in BZ - ramming anything up to and including squid sharks is a near-instant kill. And anything bigger can just be zapped.

Dang there really was no danger at all in BZ except the awful glacial basin part

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The goal in both games is to avoid the dangerous predators while you go about your business. Neither game is particularly dangerous or scary, nor were they meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Dang there really was no danger at all in BZ except the awful glacial basin part

The glacial basin is mostly a farce of danger. It definitely seems dangerous, but the cold is actually pretty easy to fight off by munching food, Snow Stalkers are actually less aggressive than you'd expect, and Snow Worms are either bugged or nerfed because the environmental design just wouldn't work if they were a real threat.

The main dangers in that game are:
  • Early on, a fish freezing you when you're low on air and you're left hopelessly sinking away from the surface
  • Being lured into complacency going too deep relying on oxygen plants so that you all of a sudden either the plants haven't regenerated yet or you can't find your way back and you don't have enough oxygen to get back to safety
  • Bumping around seatruck modules trying to figure out how they work and then they accidentally explode
  • Late in the game, the genuinely scary nightmare leviathan lurking around the final alien base will nibble on you, but ALSO on the way back up to the surface, the shortest path is through a hole into the geyser environment where a jumbo shrimp leviathan hangs out noshing on cryptosaurs, so if you've already taken damage from the nightmare leviathan, you may end up falling prey to that thing.
And I guess fair enough if it doesn't want to be as much of a horror game, but it's an awful lot more shallow without the spooky credible threat of danger.