Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, no, is Kidby an anti-vaxxer?

Where are you getting that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The_Doctor posted:

Where are you getting that?

This, more or less.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I was just having similar talk with my friends today. Anyways, I'm y'know very pro being safe about COVID and everything. Meat Loaf ruled, it's cool to pay tribute to the guy. Jim Steinman last year, now Meat Loaf, we're losing a lot of great rocknrollers.

I hang out in the arts areas of SA because that's where the fun is! And Meat Loaf brought fun into people's lives.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Heavy Metal posted:

Jim Steinman last year, now Meat Loaf, we're losing a lot of great rocknrollers.

coincidentally, both of these artists are also mentioned in The Long Earth, as two of Sister Agnes's favorites.

the book takes place in the late 2030s, though, i think, so i guess it's a period piece now. :smith:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rocks.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ah, the transitive property of cancellation,

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Literally the first I've heard of it so maybe Paul didn't know this either

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

toasterwarrior posted:

Ah, the transitive property of cancellation,

Well I think it's hard to believe that someone might have liked Meat Loaf for his musical prowess instead of his distasteful political takes.

It's such a terminally online take.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Rand Brittain posted:

What a bizarre conclusion to reach.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

angerbeet posted:

Well I think it's hard to believe that someone might have liked Meat Loaf for his musical prowess instead of his distasteful political takes.

It's such a terminally online take.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chloe Jessica posted:

been rereading the Long Earth series here lately. seeing how Pratchett works with a co-author is pretty interesting. most of the book is pretty tonally different than Discworld, which is probably down to Stephen Baxter, but every now and then a joke that's just utter purestrain Pratchett pops up and it's immediately obvious.

also these books are pretty drat good.

All right, I'm gonna pull the trigger on these finally, been looking for something new to read. I don't know why I've been reluctant to start them, I think I've just heard a lot of mixed reviews.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phenotype posted:

All right, I'm gonna pull the trigger on these finally, been looking for something new to read. I don't know why I've been reluctant to start them, I think I've just heard a lot of mixed reviews.

They're not bad, but they're not great either. Lot of interesting ideas looking for a plot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's going to be an announcement of some kind of Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jedit posted:

There's going to be an announcement of some kind of Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

Deathless Mort is finally getting the go ahead?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Total Meatlove posted:

Deathless Mort is finally getting the go ahead?

The universally acclaimed The Watch is getting a second season?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

The universally acclaimed The Watch is getting a second season?

Now why would I be mentioning that in the Pratchett thread?

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
Discworld NFTs??

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I really wish I was good enough at that kind of patter to come up with a bit where Dibbler is trying to sell an NFT to someone.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mad Hamish posted:

I really wish I was good enough at that kind of patter to come up with a bit where Dibbler is trying to sell an NFT to someone.

You get to own the idea of the sausage, it's essential sausageness, if you will. The priests of offler get a sausage sandwich.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

yaffle posted:

You get to own the idea of the sausage, it's essential sausageness, if you will. The priests of offler get a sausage sandwich.

With which we are reminded that if you need to know what Pterry would have thought about almost any modern development, he probably already told you.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

yaffle posted:

How did I only just now realize that the reason that Offler gets sausage offerings is because of the crocodile in Punch and Judy shows?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Strange Cares posted:

How did I only just now realize that the reason that Offler gets sausage offerings is because of the crocodile in Punch and Judy shows?

:aaa: I mean really Pratchett never had a single original thought, its references all the way down!!!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

:aaa: I mean really Pratchett never had a single original thought, its references all the way down!!!

Oh I don’t know about that, but I do admire that he was unashamed to draw from whatever joke or reference that he liked. For whatever reason seeing that quotation today really made the crocodile/sausages thing connect for me.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 24, 2022

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Strange Cares posted:

Oh I don’t know about that, but I do admire that he was unashamed to draw from whatever joke or reference that he liked. For whatever reason seeing that quotation today really made the crocodile/sausages thing connect for me.

I don't think it either, I was goofing around and hoping the multiple exclamation points would point to a diseased mind ;)

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
what's yalls favorite Pratchett pun ever and why is it "felonious monk"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm very fond of "Fingers" Mazda, the very first thief, who stole fire from the gods*

*He couldn't fence it, it was too hot*

*He really got burned on that deal

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

YggiDee posted:

I'm very fond of "Fingers" Mazda, the very first thief, who stole fire from the gods*

*He couldn't fence it, it was too hot*

*He really got burned on that deal

A classic

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Didactylos the philosopher.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The whole of Soul Music leading up to a world of hertz pun

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

The whole of Soul Music leading up to a world of hertz pun

I thought we were leaving out Soul Music because it's all references?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

I don't think it either, I was goofing around and hoping the multiple exclamation points would point to a diseased mind ;)

Ah, I took it as sincere. Clearly I’ve been posting too much outside of the SA ecosystem.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The soul music show/movie was how I got into Pratchett in the first place. I liked it.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"The Ramkins were more highly bred than a hilltop bakery..." was the first time I realized what kind of book I was reading all those many years ago.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chloe Jessica posted:

His bathwater was heated by a geyser*

*Who stoked the boiler

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Chloe Jessica posted:

what's yalls favorite Pratchett pun ever

“But the helmet had gold decoration, and the bespoke armorers had made a new gleaming breastplate with useless gold ornamentation on it. Sam Vimes felt like a class traitor every time he wore it. He hated being thought of as one of those people that wore stupid ornamental armor. It was gilt by association.”

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Chloe Jessica posted:

Not a Pun, but one of my favorite things

"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.

immoral_ fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 25, 2022

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Jedit posted:

I thought we were leaving out Soul Music because it's all references?

We're on a mission from Glod!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I am a big fan of THERE'S NO JUSTICE, THERE'S JUST US.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rand Brittain posted:

No, that piece was a riff on the Bat Out Of Hell coverart.

Like all things in Soul Music, it's a reference. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

DontMockMySmock posted:

I am a big fan of THERE'S NO JUSTICE, THERE'S JUST US.

I first read Mort in 1988, at the age of seven. I am currently sitting beneath a shelf bearing a full collection of hardback Pratchett originals, some of them sought out at great expense and effort. I have read all the books at least three times, and some up to a dozen.

Today is the first time I got the justice/just us wordplay.