Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

poisonpill posted:

Same

You named your hog “Gundam” too, huh?

I named mine Big Zam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tip posted:

I just looked it up on rotten tomatoes expecting that dumb fans would give it like a 90% audience score and the critics would hate it, boy was I wrong

the critics being paid off is even more obvious in discovery, lol

Rotten tomatoes is completely worthless when it comes to tv reviews. mostly because tv reviewers are hacks and/or shills.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like online TV reviews are mostly AV club type payola deals where the site only picks it up to review in the first place after CBS's check clears allegedly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like online TV reviews are mostly AV club type payola deals where the site only picks it up to review in the first place after CBS's check clears allegedly

Yeah most of them are exhaustive recaps for SEO reasons

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

No Mods No Masters posted:

io9 is hilarious for this because they went full court press for Disney+ before it even launched. Every single MCU property no matter how obscure and niche will get fawning write-ups for weeks, including the obligatory "it's actually doing better than you think" coverage when the interest tanks after opening weekend.

You can always tell who's throwing money around for "nerd" demographics because they'll start the hype before the property even launches, and keep up a trickle of retrospectives, wrap-ups, and "analysis" long after everyone's lost interest

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 22, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheBigPic/status/1484666190601474049

I've got 3 left: Intolerable Cruelty, Blood Simple, and The Man Who Wasn't There

I'll say I'm surprised that Hudsucker Proxy is normally seen as a middling to low end Coen Brothers movie. I thought it was goddamn hilarious.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
Alright. There were some insurmountable technical difficulties with tonights stream as my ISP is apparently making GBS threads the bed. I'll try again next week.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Shaggar posted:

Rotten tomatoes is completely worthless when it comes to tv reviews. mostly because tv reviewers are hacks and/or shills.

I think one big issue with TV reviews is that 90% of the ones listed for a "season" are actually just reviews of the first one to three episodes, whatever was available when the season premiered

this might be ok for highly episodic shows but lol they don't make those anymore

it's like if movie reviews were written entirely by people who only saw the first 30 minutes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tip posted:

it's like if movie reviews were written entirely by people who only saw the first 30 minutes

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Never go full thumb

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

If you can think of a better time to fold laundry than movie time I’d love to hear it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/TheBigPic/status/1484666190601474049

I've got 3 left: Intolerable Cruelty, Blood Simple, and The Man Who Wasn't There

I'll say I'm surprised that Hudsucker Proxy is normally seen as a middling to low end Coen Brothers movie. I thought it was goddamn hilarious.

Country, fargo and brother are pretty much perfect movies I feel

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The co bros have such a good hit rate overall that it feels a bit harsh to rib them about the ladykillers, but nonetheless I feel people should do so more often just to keep them honest. What a turd

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Top 3 Coens is too hard for me, I have a top 5:
- Miller’s Crossing
- Big Lebowski
- No Country
- Raising Arizona
- A serious man

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

priznat posted:

Top 3 Coens is too hard for me, I have a top 5:
- Miller’s Crossing
- Big Lebowski
- No Country
- Raising Arizona
- A serious man

Mine would be Blood Simple, No Country, Lebowski, Fargo, and Barton Fink

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink and Fargo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PostNouveau posted:

Presumably to mock Picard for aging.

Although Picard is a robot now so ... :shrug:

I will accept this if he mocks Picard for being too much of a coward to accept immortality

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I still need to watch miller's crossing and raising Arizona

PostNouveau posted:

I agree and I feel the same about inside llewyn Davis. but it's important to remember that a middle of the pack coens movie is not at all an indictment of the quality of the film itself. the coen's worst films are better than any MCU film

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
big lebowski should be #1 just for the sheer feat of making "film noir but its a stoner comedy!" into a legitimately great film

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
id rather listen to marlon wayans provide commentary for the ladykillers in character than watch most comic book poo poo at this point

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The best Coens movie is A Serious Man.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finally watching Benedetta, it rules. Verhoeven rules

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I thought The Empty Man was pretty good for what it is, even if a bit long

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That problem with NFTs video was more entertaining and informative (and scary!) than any movie I’ve seen in a long rear end time.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Did Gal Gadot actually kill a child or speak positively about child killing in public or is her being a child killer just an anti-Israel meme or what?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You don't grow up in Israel without doing a stint in the army shooting Palestinian children.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

You don't grow up in Israel without doing a stint in the army shooting Palestinian children.

Just a style note: they do not shoot “children” - “Terror Tykes” is the IDF in-house parlance

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I just watched In the Earth and I liked it a lot! Much better than the Empty Man. A return to form for Ben Wheatley whose last few were pretty uneven, it makes a good companion piece to Kill List and A Field in England.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cacator posted:

I just watched In the Earth and I liked it a lot! Much better than the Empty Man. A return to form for Ben Wheatley whose last few were pretty uneven, it makes a good companion piece to Kill List and A Field in England.

Yeah it’s the first Wheatley film I’ve liked since Kill List tbh. Really good.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'd binged through some Discovery about a year ago just so I could see if the hate was accurate and it was really as bad as people said it was and, my God, it WAS horrible. The crazy thing is that I didn't have a problem with a few of the things other people did, specifically the more 'casual' nature of the crew.

But it was so bad that I didn't even invest any time in Picard given what I'd already heard and seen of the show.

I was already burnt out by the start of season 3 Discovery but still at least attempted to give that season a watch and Season 3 is not only starts out leaps and bounds better, but all the stuff really holding it back were still just the worst aspects of seasons 1 and 2 that they're trapped at continuing to reference or they kept want to keep bringing up. If it was just a remake of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda they'd just started the show with S3 and its soft reboot concept, my overall opinion of the series might have been better received and they wouldn't have been stuck in the continuity hole they'd dug for themselves.

Picard S2 trailer feels like they want to soft reboot their way out of and ignore as much of the S1's plot.

But I will say this: Despite a very rocky start to Lower Decks, I think it extremely enjoyable and a show I really would get bummed out when I ran out of new episodes to watch. It's like the moment the show started to improve, no one said anything about it, anymore, and it feels like it's doomed to obscurity. It's the Trek equivalent of how serious anime will do a goofy comedy version of itself.

Dr. Thoss posted:

I guess since no one else has volunteered, I'll show some movies tonight.

SCI-FI

Another venture into Albert's cinematic Pyuniverse. People seemed to really enjoy Sue Saad's contribution to Radioactive Dreams, and she's got 3 songs in this one!

It's strange when you accidentally find a review that mirrors one's one thoughts on a film so accurately. Vicious Lips is such a film for me.

When I first watched the film it's a movie that is NOTHING like the cover would suggest and the first 20-40 minutes or so is sort of legitimately fun in a way that I can only describe as a "Jem and the Holograms in Space". Then the part of the film that has zero to do with them being a girl band in space begins and its a tedious watch.

The thing is that there are so many reviews that I find where just about every single one makes that same comment or some variation of it. I'm really shocked in the 80s low-budget home video sequel era that someone just didn't realize that and make a VL2 that just learned that and leaned into the struggling "Space Girls" rock band concept far more heavily.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

That problem with NFTs video was more entertaining and informative (and scary!) than any movie I’ve seen in a long rear end time.

That governance stuff at the end was a real nightmare vision of the hellworld to come

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Fargo
O Brother
Lebowski
A Serious Man
No Country

Is Ladykillers outright bad or did they just set themselves up for failure by remaking a classic? I feel like the premise is very suited to their style of film

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

But I will say this: Despite a very rocky start to Lower Decks, I think it extremely enjoyable and a show I really would get bummed out when I ran out of new episodes to watch. It's like the moment the show started to improve, no one said anything about it, anymore, and it feels like it's doomed to obscurity. It's the Trek equivalent of how serious anime will do a goofy comedy version of itself.

I started hate watching LD due to the AWFUL trailer for season 1... it was rough to start with, very much felt like Rick & Morty: Star Trek Edition. But about half way through S1 I started to genuinely enjoy it, and S2 was just good as hell from the start

its easily the best star trek on TV right now, which might be more of an indictment of how bad disco and Picard are...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lower decks is ok
I like that there's some effort and budget to the animation. Shame the character design is so generic and rear end-looking.
I like that it's clearly made by someone who has a great affection for old trek shows. Shame that mostly manifests in constant references to those shows.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ozark may have had too many years between seasons here. I barely remember half of the "previously on". They better do some real dum-dum level recapping in the first episode to actually catch me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Lower decks is ok
I like that there's some effort and budget to the animation. Shame the character design is so generic and rear end-looking.
I like that it's clearly made by someone who has a great affection for old trek shows. Shame that mostly manifests in constant references to those shows.

yeah the show has a LOT of references, I think the reason I actually enjoy them is that they are mostly very deep cuts

less "REMEBER X-WINGS!" and more referencing extremely specific things from ancient episodes only turbo nerds will remember, like the Exo-comps for example