Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Black Griffon posted:

One issue I've had both this stint of DS3 and previous ones: Intermittent 0.5-1 sec freezes, usually paired, at very inopportune times. Often they happen when I get hit, sometimes they just happen out of the blue. I thought it might be a controller vibration issue, but it's disabled in both DS3 and steam and that doesn't help. The really frustrating thing is that it doesn't happen every session. I can go hours without it happening, and then I boot up the game and it happens every five minutes, occasionally more often. I'm running this off an SSD with 16gb of ram, a 3080 and uuuh a processor that's should be perfectly fine.
Remove all connected USB sticks from your PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I can't find the SSRTGI filter in DS3, even though it's there in Rise of the Tomb Raider. Anyone know what could cause this?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

giZm posted:

Remove all connected USB sticks from your PC.

Ain't got any. Besides keyboard and headset I've got a bluetooth dongle (not in much use), wireless mouse dongle, camera and sound card (which opens a folder on first use, so I guess there's a few MB of storage on there?). Also what the gently caress.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Also what the gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RviXwvFHI4&t=220s
I know what you mean, freeze happens at 3:47, went away after I removed the USB sticks. Haven't had it happen ever since. Anecdotal as gently caress but nobody else on the interwebs seems to have an idea what causes those hiccups either.

giZm fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 15, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

giZm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RviXwvFHI4&t=220s
I know what you mean, freeze happens at 3:47, went away after I removed the USB sticks. Haven't had it happen ever since. Anecdotal as gently caress but nobody else on the interwebs seems to have an idea what causes those hiccups either.

That's the freeze right there. Weird. I really hope the bluetooth dongle does it because anything else I mentioned is so annoying to plug in and out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Brutal

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
Trip report for the switch to pyro: I’m cumming. So much cumming.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m a loving idiot. I accidentally (don’t ask) summoned another player to fight the last boss and now I can’t really say I beat the game.

gently caress rear end poo poo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

sponges posted:

I’m a loving idiot. I accidentally (don’t ask) summoned another player to fight the last boss and now I can’t really say I beat the game.

Hand in your badge and get out.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

You beat the game, you used the resources that the game made available to you. You just didn’t solo the last boss.

Now go do it again!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Hand in your badge and get out.

ng+ here you come

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

sponges posted:

Yeah you're gonna have to give me all your stuff, sorry.

Don't be silly, you beat the game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Naw I'm with him, summoning for the first defeat means you didn't beat it

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Just got a titanite slab by defeating Sister Friede and Father Ariendel. So I don't have to do the first two phases every time?

46 seconds later :darksouls:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Trip report for the switch to pyro: I’m cumming. So much cumming.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

sponges posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1719

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

domhal posted:

Just got a titanite slab by defeating Sister Friede and Father Ariendel. So I don't have to do the first two phases every time?

46 seconds later :darksouls:

What an amazing moment.

“Whew, that was an epic fight but not quite as hard as people hyped her up to be. Where’s that bon... gently caress” -Me, a fool

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Midir beats my rear end every time I replay

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

hughesta posted:

Midir eats my rear end every time I replay

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dark is stored in the rear end

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm doing a new playthrough with a buddy who's first-timer Dark soulser. Currently I've gotten my faith to 20 in order to do utility heals and blessed weapon but the dmg output for lightning spear is pathetic. Witha +6 talisman I do maybe 150 damage, it's just sad

Is there a utility for offensive magic 20/30 faith character, or should I start investing in pyromancy? (we're at carthus though I did get rid of Dancer early and got the lothric divine tome)

double nine fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 17, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

double nine posted:

I'm doing a new playthrough with a buddy who's first-timer Dark soulser. Currently I've gotten my faith to 20 in order to do utility heals and blessed weapon but the dmg output for lightning spear is pathetic. Witha +6 talisman I do maybe 150 damage, it's just sad

Is there a utility for offensive magic 20/30 faith character, or should I start investing in pyromancy? (we're at carthus though I did get rid of Dancer early and got the lothric divine tome)
You probably could have some good success with the bleed miracles (even the better one just costs 25 Fth). Also, don't forget that the true power of the miracles in DS3 is using them at melee range to get a lot of extra damage in. With someone else als a distraction, it might even not get you killed a lot of times :v:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lightning Miracles hit like a wet fart in PvE, but can be devastating in PvP. I've ended many invasions with a poisecast lightning stake.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Can't find an answer in the replies I've scanned through or through a quick internet search...

Whats the suggestion for hitting the DLC's? After the original ending?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
You can do the DLC after beating the final boss of the main game but before entering NG+, and I don't think there's a strong consensus on when exactly to do them so long as it's near the end of the game. I preferred doing them right before doing the final boss of the main game, but I think they'd also fit after.

Definitely do them in the order they came out though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ColdIronsBound posted:

Can't find an answer in the replies I've scanned through or through a quick internet search...

Whats the suggestion for hitting the DLC's? After the original ending?

Start Ashes as soon as you get a +6 weapon, just know that you probably won’t be able to clear it until you hit +10. But you can make a lot of progress before then. There’s some good loot in there and nowadays I basically run through it as far as I can as soon as I can.

For Ringed City, you need to either clear Ashes or clear everything in the main game except the final boss to even access it. so that’s like a dev recommendation as to when to do it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

You probably could have some good success with the bleed miracles (even the better one just costs 25 Fth). Also, don't forget that the true power of the miracles in DS3 is using them at melee range to get a lot of extra damage in. With someone else als a distraction, it might even not get you killed a lot of times :v:

Sure but at that point might as well go pyro & combustion/black flame.

I'll probably boost faith to 25 & start multiclassing into int a little bit for pyro

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

hughesta posted:

Midir beats my rear end every time I replay

Midir is a brick wall every time I play. He has such a huge health pool you can't just "kind of" know the fight, you gotta actually do it correctly. Once you get back in the groove, it's not so tough, but it always takes me multiple tries until I remember how to do it, complete with one screw-up around 35% health where I get too greedy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaUKl_FwcFs

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:discourse:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Forgot I had made a build randomizer a while back. Just found it again, if anyone wants to try:

http://ds3randomizer.com/

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
So been PvPing at 90 with this pyro in arenas. Had a few Qs:

1. How hard/bad is laggy backstabbing? I don't have under 200-odd ping to anyone ('straya), but half the time I seem to take damage/die while the backstab animation is going on. Is parrying the better cheese damage under these conditions?
2. Serpent into Vestiges 'true comboing' I assume means if I'm in their face when serpent hits, I can follow up? I seem to have got it to work sometimes. If the range for true comboing is that small, that makes parting flame seem more tempting (but on the flipside, since you want to be turning&burning your casts and other junk, I'm not sure how often the bonus would really connect).

Mostly good fun, 2 vestiges + a bit of chasing with the mailbreaker or serpent seems to toast most people. Little bit of overhead left for damage by the time I hit 120 (5 levels of faith missing, plus no Demon's Scar).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
backstabbing in ds3 is something that people do to showboat, it's not actually a good/efficient strategy. especially not when you're lagging(and parrying will also be hard under those conditions), the backstab animation in ds3 has startup frames that you can get hit out of. so you can only really do it if the opponent commits to something slow. most usable against ultra weapons where you can roll forward, unlock as you roll, pivot backstab. but unlike ds1 even that is not an easy timing.

if you want to know what I think is the best way to do damage as pyro in ds3, it'd be either 1H straight sword of choice or 2H demon fang, r1->black flame. especially since good players will rarely get hit by black serpent at the best of times and black flame is also a great shield break tool.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

So been PvPing at 90 with this pyro in arenas. Had a few Qs:

1. How hard/bad is laggy backstabbing? I don't have under 200-odd ping to anyone ('straya), but half the time I seem to take damage/die while the backstab animation is going on. Is parrying the better cheese damage under these conditions?
2. Serpent into Vestiges 'true comboing' I assume means if I'm in their face when serpent hits, I can follow up? I seem to have got it to work sometimes. If the range for true comboing is that small, that makes parting flame seem more tempting (but on the flipside, since you want to be turning&burning your casts and other junk, I'm not sure how often the bonus would really connect).

Mostly good fun, 2 vestiges + a bit of chasing with the mailbreaker or serpent seems to toast most people. Little bit of overhead left for damage by the time I hit 120 (5 levels of faith missing, plus no Demon's Scar).

Bait their dodge with Serpent, immediately rollcatch them with Vestiges. Use Black Flame too vs R1/parry spam..

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GU6021NJnA

please don't rely on black serpent, it's not very good

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/SkeleMann/status/1484802129302798336

quote:

PSA - DARK SOULS 3 - PC
#DarkSouls3 #DarkSouls

Hey folks

On PC there is a new, very serious exploit plaguing Dark Souls 3 which can cause lasting damage to your computer.

This could brick your PC, let your login information be shared, or execute programs in the background.
Get protected, use Blue Sentinel https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/723

edit: current BS does not yet protect, wait for update.

giZm fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 22, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I'm gonna wait till Elden Ring gets some time in the sun to see how vulnerable it is to stuff like this. What happened to DkS3 is beyond absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Anyone know if setting DS3 to Offline mode protects you?