Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hexyflexy posted:

It's a legitimate threat to the security of energy use on the planet. Let that one sink in, and it's mainly used as a money laundering scheme.

not only is it mostly just scams and money laundering, every additional bit of power poured into it makes the whole system even worse

you could achieve the same transaction rate and throughput with a single "miner" running off of a raspberry pi. everything after that is literally useless

all miners are doing is guessing random numbers constantly in hopes that they pick a winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Four years ago in grad school, so around spring 2018, did a brief back of the envelope calculation and a single Bitcoin transaction had roughly the same carbon footprint as driving an F-150 from Jacksonville to Houston. It's only gotten worse.

E: running with the car analogy, cryptocurrency is the leaded gasoline of Fintech.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Blind Rasputin posted:

The guy in the Bloomberg article saying, “crypto is starting to go the way of equities” is in no quiet way saying that the crypto market has gotten so tucked up convoluted that it’s synonymous with the collatetalized debt obligation and default swap bullshit banks were pulling that led to the 2008 global financial crisis. CDOs and double tranche CEOs and synthetic CDOs and everything in between was not real currency either, and banks were literally propping themselves up on them like they were. This time, thankfully(?), a massive crash of the crypto market (I imagine as soon as Biden or any other major superpower signs in ink a bunch of regulatory orders this will spark the massive sell off) it won’t be banks but crypto bros that find themselves bankrupt.

Youre getting a little too convoluted yourself. He is saying that crypto should be seen as a risk asset, one that moves in tandem with the market because investor logic is similar in both cases. Its not a safe haven or an asset that can be evaluated separately. You are right that this is because these are no longer fringe investors but institutional money. The same problem with CDOs comes in though and fringe investors are probably not the only ones that pay the price.

It moves in tandem with the market because the mainstream acts as rational investors and has to react to increased risk, implying mainstream and not cryptobro exposure, at least in part.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 22, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
what aspect of mainstream crypto investment seems like the acts of "rational" investors

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

boop the snoot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KwLa3xUgI&t=44s

lollllllll

sell an NFL ticket for a dollar over face value and you risk legal trouble but a civic with a 100% markup is a-okay!

Yep.

I guess I was lucky only seeing a max of 10k markup at dealers in my area last month. Did manage to find a car without a markup tho.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kesper North posted:

what aspect of mainstream crypto investment seems like the acts of "rational" investors

what aspect of any investment seems like the acts of rational investors though

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

drat you florida man

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/us-canada/300501606/family-of-four-die-in-blizzard-during-attempt-to-cross-into-us-from-canada

quote:

A Florida man has been charged with human smuggling after the bodies of four people, including a baby and a teen, were found in Canada near the US border in what authorities believe was a failed crossing attempt during a freezing blizzard.

Steve Shand, 47, was charged Friday (NZ time) with human smuggling after seven Indian nationals were found in the US and the discovery of the bodies, said the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Minnesota.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

what aspect of any investment seems like the acts of rational investors though

Rational thought takes you weird places.

The point of a mainstream investor is to stay as close as possible to the herd. Losses can be forgiven if everyone is losing but if you want to be safe and make 10% ROI risk free while everyone else is hanging off the ledge for 12% you won't have a job for long. Contrarianism is rarely rewarded.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ah, just the pedigree of someone you want to take you across the canadian border

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1484723825606479872?t=9ubwMoFp0ykyNtPHVUniuw&s=19

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Why does he want to gently caress the M&Ms?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/12/mars-nestle-and-hershey-to-face-landmark-child-slavery-lawsuit-in-us

I'm glad Tucker is mad about the right thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The idea of gendered candy is deeply stupid but Tucker is never right about anything.

Also Nestle delenda est.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

maffew buildings posted:

I'm glad Tucker is mad about the right thing
https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?t=arU5F-U1jiUqyLULDEbsNQ&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also Nestle delenda est.

It’s such a weird and evil company.

It’s like something from the pages of bad fiction.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Nestle is truly the most Swiss of all Swiss companies.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Jesus gently caress, so it's basically using the equivalent of multiple nuclear reactors?
No wonder China banned it

https://twitter.com/bigseb31213/status/1484299339191181315

This is basically the reality of crypto after the China ban. Taking advantage of heavily subsidized energy prices in Russia and the various -Stans.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oh, lol. I read that as USA Georgia and wasn’t surprised one bit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Causing blackout in remote mountain areas?

I’m surprised that the cryptominers haven’t been visited by some concerned citizens in the dead of night.

I suppose they paid off the right people.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Schad thread gem, straight quote.

Nice.

E: trimmed the unnecessary.

E2: E harder: https://vault.unicornriot.ninja/patriotfrontleaks/

These the guys that did the semi-organized masked march on Washington the other day?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I'm seeing video cards now in the $1500+ range due to mining. gently caress this noise, ban video cards, games were better when they were 2d or 2.5d anyway :corsair:

I mean, cryptobros have been driving up the prices for a long time now, but the current absurdity is more due to the semi-conductor shortage.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

They bottle 300 million litres of water from the aquifer in Hope, BC per year. In exchange, they pay the Canadian government $675.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

They bottle 300 million litres of water from the aquifer in Hope, BC per year. In exchange, they pay the Canadian government $675.

Art of the deal.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

These the guys that did the semi-organized masked march on Washington the other day?

Looks like it, yeah. Also looks like they were laughed out of Chicago a few weeks ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kazinsal posted:

:psyduck:

quote:

The average water bill in the United States is $72.93 a month for a family of four using 100 gallons of water per day per person.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lightpole posted:

You know thats not how this works right? $1 trillion was not refocused from somewhere else and put into crypto.

Yes I know, my thought process was going back to the hardware, effort and electricity (and money fleeced out of crypto buyers) that went in to the sham of the "market value".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Did Goebbels also jerk it to candy?

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well son of a bitch I never really disinfect the mask and tubing besides using (and infrequently at that) hand soap.

Good to know though. Though talk one hell of a half assed handled recall.

Late the CPAP party, but that ‘s exactly what my pulmonologist said. He advised me of the underlying recall issues and that I can continue to user the DreamStation since I never used ozone to sanitize (just very mild soapy water). What I like about the my current machine is that the humidifier is detachable, which is great for travel; I’m frustrated because the other devices on the market all seem to have integrated dehumidification.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Keep politics out of sports, not candy.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sy Borg posted:

Late the CPAP party, but that ‘s exactly what my pulmonologist said. He advised me of the underlying recall issues and that I can continue to user the DreamStation since I never used ozone to sanitize (just very mild soapy water). What I like about the my current machine is that the humidifier is detachable, which is great for travel; I’m frustrated because the other devices on the market all seem to have integrated dehumidification.

I just got a ResMed machine as a replacement for a broken DreamStation (it just up and broke on me, don't know how), and man the thing is a gigantic piece of poo poo. The worst plastic smell I've ever had with any CPAP, about 10 times worse than anything to do with the DreamStation.

The settings suck, the menu sucks, the auto off sucks, the app sucks, the amount of water you can put in it is miniscule, and I bet I'm going to wake up with the smell of burnt plastic because of that.

I almost always had that problem with the DreamStation, where the water would run out and sometimes I'd wake up to the smell of burnt plastic, even if I turned all the temperature settings down to 1. But at least the pressure was good, and at least the customization was good.

gently caress this ResMed piece of poo poo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1484577745816338437?t=189VZXhlQcgLyZVvnWpm7A&s=19

I have been pretty upset about how they're loving this up but I didn't even consider kickboxing class!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Excuse me but the focus group data CLEARLY showed that margaritas and kickboxing polled well among white girlbosses

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maffew buildings posted:

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1484577745816338437?t=189VZXhlQcgLyZVvnWpm7A&s=19

I have been pretty upset about how they're loving this up but I didn't even consider kickboxing class!

Wait did she just say political violence was okay now? :v:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
"Get over it!" Is a pretty poo poo message

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When voting rights go low, we go to Margarita Kickboxing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
JUST VOTE!!!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Jen Psaki is really fuckin' bad at her job.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

It sure looks like Russia has Germany by the balls, doesn't it.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1484626546199515139

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
A bit.

https://www.reuters.com/world/german-government-distances-itself-navy-chiefs-comments-putin-2022-01-22/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It sure looks like Russia has Germany by the balls, doesn't it.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1484626546199515139

I'm trying really hard to justify that comment. If anything Germany should be repaying Ukraine back now for all the terrible poo poo they did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even just from a purely self interest point of view, if Russia doesn't have them by the balls they should be pretty open to containing Putin's aggression. Not a good look to be saying 'No' at the moment.