Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

Cats don’t eat like that. Where are they getting their ideas from? Crazy CIG..!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
And if you ask about the benefit of being Citizen, they come up with some boring poo poo like voting.

Or even worse, owning a military ship which is ridiculous. Anybody can buy a military ship that punches above its weight, you just shell out real money.

Clearly they haven’t even thought about the title of this scam of a game.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

cmdrk posted:

isn't that the basic principle behind no fap november? checkmate fudster :smuggo:

Star Citizen: stock up on paperwork before visiting the jump gate

How much does it cost to pre order paperwork ? Can I buy more expensive tiers of paper work? Thinking it would be good to stockpile forms before there is a rush on the gate.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

At the end of that rope is a video game. Just... a video game. Something that you'll inevitably get bored of after some period of time. Something that will never ever be that thing you can just live inside forever.

[...]

Enjoy Star Citizer... don't blown your wallet on it. It's very much not worth it. Go enjoy other things with other people or countless other games.

exactly my thougts also. a game will always be a game, which at best can be a very enjoyable pastime to waste hours and hours of your life in. when i was in uni i loved advance wars on the gba, i played it constantly. to make the whole process more "special", in the evening, i would walk up the castle which sat on a hilltop above the city, with my gba. through the busy streets, crossed the river, walked all the way up the hill, sat on the castle walls, looked down at the city lights, switched on the gba and play for hours.

i dont know exactly where i want to go here...but i guess if you love vidjagames so much that you want them to be more then what they are, then think about stuff you can do to make them more rewarding by setting up challenges in order to play them and dont ask the developer to programm a second life for you.

guys these are just some thoughts and i just woke up...dont throw stones at me :)

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 22, 2022

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Look, they did the fidelitious getting-shot-in-the-butt animation which probably cost several million dollars and Andy Serkis was the projectile.

Greatest Game Ever

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

This is wrong! That's not how you catte! :psyduck:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Some real broke brain poo poo in that thread

:psyduck:

This poo poo REEKS elite:dangerous idiotic dumb official forums that love their stupid HYPERCAPITALISM immersion and think that making a game a second work makes it somehow better.
loving grognards.
I hope they all gently caress off to beat their balls with a rusty metal bat till they pass out and dream of Braben.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
God im so fuckign angry

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Erulisse posted:

God im so fuckign angry

Have you considered taking a relaxing bath in your 891's hot tub? Or buying an Idris?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

trucutru posted:

It still makes me laugh that Kazan got his 15-23 lbs figure by googling "weight of d cups" and looking at the first (completely ridiculous) result.

Doesn't even make sense in the first place. The volume of the cup is relative to the band size, so X cup size means pretty much nothing in isolation.
Do you think that maybe this means Kazan does not actually go skiing or rock climbing with various lovely ladies?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

It's mostly sad because of the high cost associated with it.

Families not going on a vacation, college funds being blown, relationship stress or worse.

At the end of that rope is a video game. Just... a video game. Something that you'll inevitably get bored of after some period of time. Something that will never ever be that thing you can just live inside forever.

If you want to post about your dreams and role play, I bet you can find other people and do it totally for free. Just like I have shitposted about it for a decade for free minus the subscription to this forum cost; which don't even compare.

Enjoy Star Citizer... don't blown your wallet on it. It's very much not worth it. Go enjoy other things with other people or countless other games.

Yes but when you realize that at the end of that rope there actually isn't a video game it loops around to being funny again

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think it's pretty rude to mock someone for not understanding how breasts work tbh

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Fidelitious posted:

Doesn't even make sense in the first place. The volume of the cup is relative to the band size, so X cup size means pretty much nothing in isolation.
Do you think that maybe this means Kazan does not actually go skiing or rock climbing with various lovely ladies?

I'm sure he is next to lovely ladies at some point, the question is, do they know him?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Asproigerosis posted:

I think it's pretty rude to mock someone for not understanding how breasts work tbh

Push the button (to buy an Idris), Karen

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I have been stopped from argumenting

Just from one conversation, not the whole topic, or the rest of /r/SC. Never seen that before

I guess saying Chris overhyped server meshing is a sin :eng99:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I think people have a distorted view of just how big the world is. There are a few facts to support that SC is BARELY known to the eventual player base.

- it has not had any traditional marketing. Since the efficacy of commercial marketing is well-proven over many decades, there is ZERO doubt that if there were a few mainstream commercials for SC, the pledge number would dwarf current numbers. They've managed to raise $400MM+ by word of mouth. But the current pledge number seems so large (hint: it's not actually that big spread over the years) that people just assume "well, I guess everyone who is going to contribute HAS to have contributed by now!" - absolutely not true. The current portion of the eventual community is a fraction of what it will be when they do traditional marketing. The world is much, much bigger than people think. This is why, to your point, we've never seen a slow down in adoption or funding growth. If any of the other poster's assertions were true, we'd see a peak/valley to the trend instead of a nearly vertical, stratospheric upward growth line for many years without interruption. This is very telling.

- Chris has stated that the "real" money comes in when SQ42 releases. This makes complete sense; regardless of how much we think our presence on these forums and our awareness of games like this translates more broadly to the customer base (confirmation bias is strong), the reality is that for every one of US, there are 10 or more of THEM - those who will learn about SC first by seeing the box at Best Buy, or having an advertisement cross their path. They don't participate in forums, or follow games outside of "push" notifications. I may set a RemindMe because I know this is exactly how it's going to go.

Edit: also wanted to share an example. MS Flight Simulator is, colloquially, considered a "niche" title.

But it's not: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/12...layers-to-date/

In fact, it has reinvigorated an essentially-on-life-support flight controller industry. Niche titles don't do that (also: Virpil and VKB owe so much to SC for their current growth - again, not something niche titles can accomplish).

More people than ever are playing more types of games than ever. SC is essentially "you mean I can play my star wars or star trek fantasies out in highly-realized graphical awesomeness?" so the target market is MASSIVE. And every indicator to date supports this. No wonder Chris wants to get it right!

quote:

You simply are wrong.

If advertising wasn't effective, movies wouldn't allocate nearly half (and sometimes more) of their production budgets to advertising.

You are incorrect if you think "everyone" knows about SC. What measure are you using to ascertain that? Here are my facts to counter that argument:
  1. No traditional advertising. Since traditional advertising has been proven for many decades to be THE way to build brand/product awareness, its absence for SC means that a huge population is not yet exposed to SC.
  2. The prolific accumulation of "I just discovered SC and wow, what a game!" posts on these forums over the last several years, nonstop, peaking at moments where word of mouth reaches more people (Invictus, Anniversary, etc.) - clearly an indicator that we've barely scratched the surface
  3. There are 84 MILLION gaming PCs in use. The potential base is massive.
  4. SC is *NOT* a simulation; it has simulation features, but you can log in and explore on foot, hitch rides with others and never sit in a captains chair if you want. It will, and does, appeal to many genres of gamers - Skyrim in space, the RPG elements of SWG, space combat of Wing Commander, on-foot combat of Battlefield / COD, racing of Forza / Gran Turismo, hauling of Truck Simulator - so many customer bases have a home in SC.
You need to realize how HUGE the world is, and how ground breaking in so many ways this title is. We have barely, just barely, scratched the surface. When more people hear about SC for the first time, they are extremely likely to find something they love about the game.

This also is proven out in how the pledge-o-meter is still rocketing to the stratosphere - if everyone knew about it, player counts and pledge amounts would stop growing. That's simply not true.

We'll know we've hit the top of the exposure curve when the pledges slow way down. Until then - growth means new blood, 100%.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/BC1pVlD.mp4

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

Just from one conversation, not the whole topic, or the rest of /r/SC. Never seen that before

seems like new feature of reddit's blocking, you can't comment thread created by someone who blocked you

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Dwesa posted:

seems like new feature of reddit's blocking, you can't comment thread created by someone who blocked you

Ah ok cheers. Seems a bit OP.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I've said it before and I say it again.
Apex predator gotta apex.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Chris did not over hype server meshing; the internet, computer science and the backer's let Chris down.

Absolved.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Rare crossover from the Trump LOL! thread that is somewhat timely here:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah! PEE will be ready SoonTM

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

trucutru posted:

Wait, you guys were serious about the crapping game play?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

Wait, you guys were serious about the crapping game play?

Wait, you thought that we're not serious?

Bird gameplay, a space drug called "bad ice", RTS control of space battles, rear end-to-mouth aliens, all that *is* part of SC.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

trucutru posted:

Wait, you thought that we're not serious?

Bird gameplay, a space drug called "bad ice", RTS control of space battles, rear end-to-mouth aliens, all that *is* part of SC.

I need to stop underestimating Star Citizen.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mirificus posted:

His analogy of going to the lake is one point of view but perhaps an easier one might be foreign travel across borders that are not so far away, for example the flight time from where I am to the Netherlands (Amsterdam) is about 1.5 hours - but it takes about 1 hour to get to the airport and 2 - 3 hours to get through airport security and immigration control, then a further 1 hour to get from wheels down at Schiphol airport into town. I could do it in a day, but I would have to leave the house at around 04:30 and even coming back at around store closing time I wouldn't expect to get home until about midnight. I have almost exactly the same prospect if I choose to visit Dublin for the day, and the flight time for that is only about 1 hour.

Ah yes, exactly the experience I hope to replicate in my precious recreational hours: the experience of dealing with an international flight.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

trucutru posted:

What happens when my Poop Meter (tm) reaches zero while I'm in the middle of a dogfight?

Do I piss and poo poo myself? What negative effects does it have on my ship if I piss and poo poo the cockpit?

.random
May 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

I do appreciate that they misspelled it as complimentary rather than complementary. It’s the simple things in life :shobon:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Ok, I've been away from this for too long lol. This is loving hilarious!

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Mellow_ posted:

What happens when my Poop Meter (tm) reaches zero while I'm in the middle of a dogfight?

Do I piss and poo poo myself? What negative effects does it have on my ship if I piss and poo poo the cockpit?

Yes exactly - everyone who is playing regular AAA games just isn't getting the scale of what CIG are trying to achieve here. The fate of the 'verse could turn on whether the captain had a late night curry in the officer's mess and forgot to plan for this in his battle strategy.

This is all part of Chris Robert's emergent gameplay plans. When a captain shits himself, there will be a whole army of late-to-the-party poors ready to be hired to swab the decks and perform a tactical swap-out of the captain's undergarments.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So uhhh how many of the ships actually have toilets?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

trucutru posted:

40 or 50 players per server, 1 system out of 100, but they are adding toilets and poop meter

this game is such a joke

can't wait for inevitable pooping bugs clips

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

trucutru posted:

That's one use for that ship piping system I guess.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
My perfectly timed poop release muddies the 2 foot of visible cockpit on my opponents chariot.

With my prey blinded I glitch the nose of my fighter through the back of their ship, triggering a ramp and destroying both them and the server.

BDSSE

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dwesa posted:

40 or 50 players per server

Wait, the latest when I used to watch was thousands? No instances etc? lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

trucutru posted:

Finally, some good loving gameplay

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

The assault has failed, it was a quargin' bloodbath. Reem and Franken never made it off the ship, they clipped through the bulkheads as we hit atmo. B team got cocky and tried to use a ramp the stupid bastards, they never stood a chance and suffered 100% casualties.

As I write this Jackson lies dying at my feet, his weapon misfired sending shots up through the scope of his rifle and into his head, his legs are grossly elongated and attached to where the tragedy took place.

I've not seen the enemy yet but know they are watching...laughing at the horror that has befallen us here.

All is lost but I'll go out fighting, I have mines and once I figure out how to deploy them I'll take this whole rotten structure down.

Remember the fighting 404s

init
Jun 20, 2021

Abongination posted:

I've not seen the enemy yet but know they are watching...laughing at the horror that has befallen us here.

Sir, the enemy is peeing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
If it becomes possible to die in this game via the poop and/or pee mechanism I will buy several more Idrises