Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/73nxlCF.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Log082 posted:

I give this conversation 3 more posts before a goon weighs in about how they could totally beat a goose in a fight.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gonna walk home and sleep it off.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Holy crap I never realized that went on for 14 minutes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The description of that video is real :chloe:

quote:

The landlord, a very problematic, very cheap, Persian female, calls in a self-appointed Hispanic plumber named Wilmer. Wilmer is the kind of cheap labor that cuts corners to try and save money.

And it goes on like that. Big yike

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BasicLich posted:

its gotta be a seasonal thing, with our grounds being used during a particularly tame portion of their reproductive cycle because I feel like i can't stress enough how polite these motherfuckers are here. the only story of an encounter with one of them here is third hand about a crazy college kid who wanted to kill and eat one so he chased one down and killed the poor thing with his bare hands
Maybe it's just how used to people they are. At sports fields and beaches around here, they just keep to themselves unless you drop something edible. They poo poo all over everything regardless, but in big public spaces they're a lot less aggressive.

Log082 posted:

I give this conversation 3 more posts before a goon weighs in about how they could totally beat a goose in a fight.
A few years ago, there was a goose just wandering around, holding up traffic on a major roadway at the same time I left a restaurant with friends. Didn't give a gently caress about horns from cars and buses, and one of my friends decided he was going to grab it and get it out of the road. I just shrugged and started recording, but the goose decided to go elsewhere once it realized a human on foot was chasing it. He explained what he was going to do based on what he learned handling livestock on the family farm down in Guatemala, and I know he does have that experience, so he probably would have been able to get it and put it in the park across the street.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some people think gooses are only aggressive when nesting or seasonally or some other part time trigger, citing they have hung around gooses without attack.

What it actually is is that gooses smell and attack based on fear. A human's natural instinct is to fear goose nests and we subconsciously pick up a goose nest is near, triggering the gooses aggression response to fear. Thus the confident who have no fear are able to do whatever they want when gooses are around while normal people will be attacked near goose nests, if not out of a learned fear of just the presence of gooses and triggering attacks from every goose they cross paths with.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Good dug

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

A friend of mine got fired from a summer job as a pool boy because the housekeeper reported he was filling the pool unevenly.

Apparently they expected him to move the hose around the pool “to make it fill evenly”.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I might be late to goose chat but I live in Washington state and we have a poo poo ton of Canada geese. My only complaint about them is they poo poo all over everything, never seen them attack myself or anyone else.

I wonder if there's a difference in behavior between the migratory and year round populations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

A friend of mine got fired from a summer job as a pool boy because the housekeeper reported he was filling the pool unevenly.

Apparently they expected him to move the hose around the pool “to make it fill evenly”.

I read a book about how the Egyptian pyramid engineers used canals with water to level the ground for construction as a kid.

People figured out that water was self leveling before our current system of reckoning years was developed.

And then there’s THIS idiot.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

he was fired because his dick game was trash and that was his excuse

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

he was fired because his dick game was trash and that was his excuse

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Reading Scottish tweets is like reading Canterbury Tales. If you concentrate hard enough you can kinda get the gist of it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grittyreboot posted:

Reading Scottish tweets is like reading Canterbury Tales. If you concentrate hard enough you can kinda get the gist of it.

It's rare when you can hear an accent just be reading text.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

New flat earth documentary looking good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

One of the benefits of growing up surrounded by Scottish people. #blessed

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Mute this before playing, it's obnoxious as poo poo. But seriously, is there any way for a home inspector to detect this kind of bullshit after the drywall is up or would you have to pray an inspector came to the site early enough to catch it?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7055736365870402862

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BasicLich posted:

the geese around here use the crosswalks and dont tend to bother anybody. they raise kids here so they have every reason to be territorial so i've never really had a good explanation for the widespread reports of angery geese terrorizing pedestrians, walked dogs, kids at parks etc

I've never had a canada goose try to attack me, worst they've done is hiss a bit and then flee if i get close

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mustang posted:

I might be late to goose chat but I live in Washington state and we have a poo poo ton of Canada geese. My only complaint about them is they poo poo all over everything, never seen them attack myself or anyone else.

I wonder if there's a difference in behavior between the migratory and year round populations.

I think this is the biggest difference. I'm in Oregon, and there's a local park with a significant year-round population of ducks and geese, and the Canada geese which have been for a generation or two are vastly more chill than the migratory birds. They only became resident in the last 4 years or so (as best as I can tell) and now there are a bunch I can feed straight from my hand. A few years ago that would have been unpleasant to try.

I think some of the behavior change was also from observing the couple of greater white-fronted geese that were resident, and were already chill and friendly. The Canada geese realized if they weren't dicks they could have a pretty sweet time, and chilled the gently caress out. Watching them raise goslings is :kimchi:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Mute this before playing, it's obnoxious as poo poo. But seriously, is there any way for a home inspector to detect this kind of bullshit after the drywall is up or would you have to pray an inspector came to the site early enough to catch it?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7055736365870402862
That's the kind of work done by general contractors who plan to be operating as a different LLC by the time it's found. A really thorough inspector might catch it, but they're going to be there inspecting 8 nearly identical houses in the new subdivision with only so much time to do it.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

That's the kind of work done by general contractors who plan to be operating as a different LLC by the time it's found. A really thorough inspector might catch it, but they're going to be there inspecting 8 nearly identical houses in the new subdivision with only so much time to do it.

Crazy. Hell by the time they're done there won't be a single load bearing wall left in the whole thing.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
a goose bit my mom on the rear end once

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ChesterJT posted:

Crazy. Hell by the time they're done there won't be a single load bearing wall left in the whole thing.

Look, they really needed to make room for a sunken tub for the :females:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Saw this and thought of the thread title.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Zero One posted:

Saw this and thought of the thread title.

It's the sign for Midway going the other direction that really makes it beautiful to me.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Thats actually a really interesting human factors read if anyone wants to take the time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

moonmazed posted:

a goose bit my mom on the rear end once

talk about getting goosed

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

GWBBQ posted:

So, I get that it’s crazy unsafe, how should this have been done? Hole drilled through? Pipes routed a different way?

I don’t know how to build a house… yet :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

namlosh posted:

So, I get that it’s crazy unsafe, how should this have been done? Hole drilled through? Pipes routed a different way?

Does the phrase "load-bearing" mean anything to you?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm sure that's not an important term!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is that big PVC pipe even for?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

namlosh posted:

while it's ok to drill through load-bearing studs, and to notch them, there are pretty strict rules about how much material can be removed and all that.

that is way too much material. the random google search i did brought up the kansas code, which says 25% max for notches on load bearing studs. for drilling, the hole can't be more than 60% of the stud and must be more than 5/8" from the edge. if you drill more than 40% you have to double, and you can't double more than two studs in a row. stud shoes ameliorate this by reinforcing the wood, but of course must be correctly installed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

namlosh posted:

You can drill small holes through the center if you have to.

These are big cuts and they’re through an edge, both of which greatly increase the damage they do to the load‐bearing capacity of the structure.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Any shoes I put on are stud shoes. :grin:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cojawfee posted:

What is that big PVC pipe even for?

Drainage from a sink most likely. Those smaller copper pipes are the water feeds, at least cold, maybe hot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Does the phrase "load-bearing" mean anything to you?

I'm picturing the roofing crew just about to wrap up when the weight buckles every wall at the same time and it all falls in on itself.