Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Narsham posted:

Look again at the very start of the fight. Duck trundles out, takes a few hits, and then suddenly speeds up massively and barely avoids ramming itself into the spikes. That suggests something might have been amiss with speed control.

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't make sense that Duck would be that much slower and less agile than Witch Doctor because of weight concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't make sense that Duck would be that much slower and less agile than Witch Doctor because of weight concerns.

Duck had speed controller issues. Brushless is a bitch to get get working right.

https://m.facebook.com/BlackandBlueRobotics/posts/317385423735059?notif_id=1642785134976197&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I felt like Duck had traction problems, but they don’t mention it. Maybe my untrained eyes

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's really odd seeing Reese from Fusion being a nice & well adjusted builder compared with Jake playing up the villain role...

Jake must have got all the charisma in that family, Reese was putting me to sleep in his post-match interview.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Duck had forks that seemed to work against it

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Something was very wrong with Duck that fight but the forks didn't have anything to do with it. Brushless drive is a bitch, hopefully he gets it dialed in enough to give a good fight next time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Duck was bowing in the middle at points during the fight, it was very clearly made of three sections. That doesn't bode well for its overall durability. That sort of flexing isn't necessarily bad, but I can't imagine that it is good for the internals, even if the robot is designed to take shock impacts like that. The new design has a lot of question marks still.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bonus fight: Claw Viper vs. Pardon my French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZ5QKTB2dM

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 23, 2022

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

Duck was bowing in the middle at points during the fight, it was very clearly made of three sections. That doesn't bode well for its overall durability. That sort of flexing isn't necessarily bad, but I can't imagine that it is good for the internals, even if the robot is designed to take shock impacts like that. The new design has a lot of question marks still.

Mad Catter was (maybe still is?) built that way. Let's see how that's worked out for them:

https://youtu.be/3ttuUiX4Nn0

Oh.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bonus fight: Claw Viper vs. Pardon my French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZ5QKTB2dM

What a beast!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Pardon my French and Switchback are tied for most top heavy useless bots in recent memory.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Great Beer posted:

Mad Catter was (maybe still is?) built that way. Let's see how that's worked out for them:

Oh.

Yikes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not even the minibot working after like 15 seconds

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Great Beer posted:

Oh.

Don't forget Warhawk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHW1v9NSx4c

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or Huge

https://youtu.be/LwtgSlzQHI0

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

RIP Mammoth.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Sorry Tombstone, you had a tough opening fight, here's a play toy for you"

Also interesting so many bots already featured this season and so many yet to get their first fight in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fish Of Doom posted:

RIP Mammoth.

Are we already at the point where bits are on their second fight?

Doesn't feel like it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Doesn't feel like it

Yeah, somebody put this in the FB group, and there are a ton of bots that haven't had a fight shown yet

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Doesn't feel like it

It's kind of the norm for Battlebots. They only have so many episodes and fights. Quite a few of the bottom tier bots are only going to get like 1 televised fight where the regulars and fan favorites will get all 3 of their matches. The other fights will be "basement matches" they throw up on YouTube at some point later.

Which really, a lot of the newcomer bots likely will have had really rough 1st or even 2nd fights and not be something worth putting in a fight card...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fish Of Doom posted:

RIP Mammoth.

Should be good to see Sawblaze vs MadCatter after the NHRL results. They're different bots in this category of course but Sawblaze is probably eager for a win.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sawblaze v. Madcatter and Tombstone v. Mammoth are the only ones I'm excited about. Hopefully, some of the other ones are surprisingly good.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tonight's episode spoiler... not a match result just commentary on the commentary...

considering this was filmed before Squid Game was released... they either got a sneak peak or Chris just coincidentally made a Squid Game reference with the South Korean bot...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Tonight's episode spoiler... not a match result just commentary on the commentary...

considering this was filmed before Squid Game was released... they either got a sneak peak or Chris just coincidentally made a Squid Game reference with the South Korean bot...

It wouldn't surprise me if they did some ADR lines here and there

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They do. Chris rose mentioned it at one point, probably in that interview he did a few weeks ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
First time Jackpot's had a wedge front? Seems like it should do them some serious good in this matchup

ooo that was a good one. Lotttttssss of big hits. Malice stood up to a lot more punishment than I thought it would.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 28, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

That was a good fight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ribbot, fighting the same robot it fought in Round 1.

Ah, I remember the Overhaul experience

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Back to the scrapheap for Overhaul

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ooo, a Tombstone-like

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think I missed last season, Scorpios looks cool though

Seems to have a great drivetrain

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 28, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well, you look really cool Blade

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Blade starting out butt first was a mistake and then got shoved into the short corner

RIP

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blade starting out butt first was a mistake and then got shoved into the short corner

RIP

Yeah I don't think they stood a chance anyway, but they got crippled real fast after getting short cornered

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oof, bad luck for Tombstone

Oh it goes to the judges, good for Tombstone

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm cackling like a madman

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011