Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Anyone got a favourite offline puzzle/training app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, I just played this wild-rear end game on lichess as Black in the Caro-Kann and I kinda wanna know if this weird-rear end position is a thing in the Exchange variation:

https://lichess.org/iyzoLnVY/black#13

I had a feeling I wasn't losing despite hanging a rook because the knight was kinda trapped and they didn't have the right to castle (although I misplayed there), but I was still down a bunch of material. If I can be sneaky that seems like a cool way to steal some wins as black. Saw a mate-in-three that was a blunder but they blundered into mate-in-two because that's the beauty of sub-1000 Elo chess.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dias posted:

Hey, I just played this wild-rear end game on lichess as Black in the Caro-Kann and I kinda wanna know if this weird-rear end position is a thing in the Exchange variation:

https://lichess.org/iyzoLnVY/black#13

I had a feeling I wasn't losing despite hanging a rook because the knight was kinda trapped and they didn't have the right to castle (although I misplayed there), but I was still down a bunch of material. If I can be sneaky that seems like a cool way to steal some wins as black. Saw a mate-in-three that was a blunder but they blundered into mate-in-two because that's the beauty of sub-1000 Elo chess.

idk the answer to your question but for a second i thought i might have been white, because 10 minutes ago i played a wild rear end bullet game as white against a caro kann

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I’m slightly disappointed that they don’t play with steel chess pieces at the Tata Steel tournament. It feels like such a missed opportunity.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
enjoying a fun category of chess puzzles in Lichess (will be super helpful in 90% of my blitz games): Equality https://lichess.org/training/equality

"Come back from a losing position, and secure a draw or a balanced position. (eval ≤ 200cp)"

EDIT: but i was actually looking for a category of puzzles where you force a perpetual from a lost position. any of the other chess puzzle sites offer such a thing?
EDIT2: these Equality puzzles dont seem to be in the main puzzle pool! Most puzzles have been solved 1000s of times, but these are in the single digits -- I might be the first person to see some of these

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 22, 2022

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
eh nm

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 22, 2022

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

are you the voice in my head that talks to me when I drop a piece? haha

here's some advice: If you are on a losing streak on one time control, switch to another

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Ah, awesome to know this category exists. I always thought it was strange that lichess puzzles only ever have you on the eventually winning side but it must be just as helpful to spot a tactic that prevents losing. Also gently caress chess, I keep making the same mistakes in my games and have plateauer although my tactics score is ever increasing

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
when i have the black pieces, i always want to play the Sicilian. sometimes my opponents play 2. Bc4, and i love it because it gives me a very easy plan: push the bishop around and get a huge space advantage on the queenside (then desperately try to castle before something bad happens).

code:
1. e4 c5 2. Bc4 e6 3. Nf3 a6 4. Nc3 b5 5. Be2 Bb7 6. d3 d5?!
i have been playing d5 in this position, and the computer says I'm better off playing Qc7 or Nb6. It feels like i need to play d5 now, or risk never getting to play it! Can someone help me verbalize black's best plan in this position?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I don't think the computer is all that worth paying attention to here. All moves are fine. Keep in mind that playing Qc7 doesn't mean you're not playing d5, it just means you're playing Qc7 before you play d5. Here are a couple of thoughts on this particular move:

(1) The immediate Qc7 has the benefit of preventing white from immediately playing Bf4. It also means that after d5, your queen will be in place to stop lines that start with white playing Ne5 and Bf3.

(2) Your pawn doesn't have to go to d5 in these lines. I actually much prefer playing these with d6 instead of d5. It's a bit slower, but the benefit is that white has a very hard time finding any active plan. Black's gonna put their pieces on Qc7, Nf6, N(b)d7, and Be7. White will be completely without target.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think the computer is all that worth paying attention to here. All moves are fine. Keep in mind that playing Qc7 doesn't mean you're not playing d5, it just means you're playing Qc7 before you play d5. Here are a couple of thoughts on this particular move:

(1) The immediate Qc7 has the benefit of preventing white from immediately playing Bf4. It also means that after d5, your queen will be in place to stop lines that start with white playing Ne5 and Bf3.

(2) Your pawn doesn't have to go to d5 in these lines. I actually much prefer playing these with d6 instead of d5. It's a bit slower, but the benefit is that white has a very hard time finding any active plan. Black's gonna put their pieces on Qc7, Nf6, N(b)d7, and Be7. White will be completely without target.

thanks Hand Knit, I will try to play Qc7 next time.

So, do you try to fianchetto your bishop on g7 in these lines, or just put the bishop on e7 and hope it can get active later on?

EDIT (UNRELATED): Here's another fun puzzle category: Hanging Piece.https://lichess.org/training/hangingPiece You would think that anyone who knows how the pieces move could get 100%, but sometimes more than one piece is hanging, and the more valuable one isn't as obvious!

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 23, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol if you deny yourself the pure pleasure of bullet chess

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

fart simpson posted:

lol if you deny yourself the pure pleasure of bullet chess

Not what I expected, but didn't disappoint.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

made it 24 moves in before i had to move anything other than my g pawn

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The ending was :discourse:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would 100% have ragesigned the moment you queened your g pawn

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmfao

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Puzzles are helping me to learn that my biggest challenge lies in learning to play lines in my head. Then I cant figure it out, hit view solution, and feel dumb when it was scholars mate levels of obvious. :downs:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Puzzles have taught me that chess is easy, it's just that I'm an idiot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

speaking of puzzles, after getting to 2000 puzzle rating on lichess i decided to start playing some correspondence games that would give me real time to analyze each move almost as if it were a puzzle. and one of the games i just had this really great tactical sequence that is probably the most complicated sequence i've ever played on the board. despite the imbalance and all the trades, i think when the dust settled we're actually pretty even as i couldn't find a good way to press for a clear advantage

i'm white:

quote:

10. O-O-O Bg4
11. Qe3 Nbd5
12. Nxd5 Nxd5
13. Qe4 f5
14. Qe5 Nxf4
15. f3 Ng6
16. Qe2 Bh5
17. g4 fxg4
18. fxg4 Qd5
19. gxh5 Nf4
20. Qe5 Qxh1
21. Nd6+ Kd7
22. Bh3+ Nxh3
23. Rxh1 exd6
24. Qf5+ Kc7
25. Qxh3 Be7

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Puzzles are helping me to learn that my biggest challenge lies in learning to play lines in my head. Then I cant figure it out, hit view solution, and feel dumb when it was scholars mate levels of obvious. :downs:

Yeah I'm at around 1600/1700 on puzzles and finding it really hard to progress because they actually expect me to see several moves ahead on a lot of them now :confused:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Captain von Trapp posted:

chess is easy, it's just that I'm an idiot.

Putting this on a post-it note on my monitor bezel.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now this is what i call a lead in development:

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
That board skin is so bad I’ll have to take your word for it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Same

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Active placement of the rooks somewhat undone by the fact that they're looking in the wrong direction.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So, dubov huh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

Active placement of the rooks somewhat undone by the fact that they're looking in the wrong direction.

it’s cool i won the queen a couple moves later

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I like your goofy chess skin fart simpson, don't listen to the haters

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hobojim posted:

I like your goofy chess skin fart simpson, don't listen to the haters

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

silvergoose posted:

So, dubov huh

Nobody could have seen this coming.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Even though it's an easy win I like that Black's move contains a little trap that a short on time player could fall into.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
analyzing a blitz game that i just lost. the computer found a winning move for white in this position that i would never even consider.

white to move and win

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zwabu posted:

Even though it's an easy win I like that Black's move contains a little trap that a short on time player could fall into.

1. Rxc7 -stalemated- ?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

1. Rxc7 -stalemated- ?

thats right! a miserable gently caress up, when Re8# is right there

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thats right! a miserable gently caress up, when Re8# is right there

Ah but even more stylish (IMO) to go with f7#.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Ah but even more stylish (IMO) to go with f7#.

oh yeah! but (almost) every move wins.

BLITZ CHESS UPDATE: i was losing my game again, but the opponent hung mate in one, and i saw it this time :twisted:

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

analyzing a blitz game that i just lost. the computer found a winning move for white in this position that i would never even consider.

white to move and win

Is it Bb6? They can't take the bishop with the pawn or you fork them with Nxb6, and if they don't I guess you can just do some knight stuff and get an attack going?

I haven't really figured out where to go from there but it looks good lol

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hobojim posted:

Is it Bb6? They can't take the bishop with the pawn or you fork them with Nxb6, and if they don't I guess you can just do some knight stuff and get an attack going?

I haven't really figured out where to go from there but it looks good lol

yeah, thats the right move, and the computer says all other moves are losing. black has several responses, but none of them are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

white to move and win

This is a learnable pattern, something that’s easy to find when you’re told there’s a solution but very few people would find it in a game.