Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

Exile becoming a zone within the game hosed up a bunch of poo poo, primarily being able to Wish for cards that were "removed from the game"

Basically exile the exile zone imo

... And bring back the absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silhouette posted:

Exile becoming a zone within the game hosed up a bunch of poo poo, primarily being able to Wish for cards that were "removed from the game"

"Remove from the game", as a verb, was some of the clunkiest poo poo imaginable, and deserved to be removed from the game.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

gently caress me

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Silhouette posted:

one of my novice MTG friends thinks red's "impulsive draw" (exile x cards from your library, you may cast/play them till the end of this/next turn) is a flavor fail because it makes exile less special

he's wrong

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

Explain how Misthollow Griffin would work.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You may cast misthollow griffin if it has been removed from the game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Same way it works now.
Exile replaced the term "removed from the game". It was a zone that functioned identically to how exile does now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Double Feature sealed is pretty dumb. You end up with like 15 rares. Stupid product though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Exile feels a clunky mechanic somehow used elegantly in a ways that would be way more wordy without it.

It functionally means "super destroyed no GY recursion" but also "temporarily set aside" and sometimes "placed beneath this permanentand out of play" and occasionally "sort of in your hand, but not actially" just off the top of my head.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

Correct, as a zone you can't exile the graveyard, only objects inside it. Of curse they're allowed to change whatever they want and maybe that's this year's latest rule update!

It is / always has been valid wording, it just doesn't come up, especially since targeting zones was abolished in the Guilds of Ravnica update.

400.12 Some effects instruct a player to do something to a zone (such as “Shuffle your hand into your library”). That action is performed on all cards in that zone. The zone itself is not affected.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Owlbear Camus posted:

Exile feels a clunky mechanic somehow used elegantly in a ways that would be way more wordy without it.

It functionally means "super destroyed no GY recursion" but also "temporarily set aside" and sometimes "placed beneath this permanentand out of play" and occasionally "sort of in your hand, but not actially" just off the top of my head.

All the other zones have unique and necessary functions in the engine of the rules, so in practice exile is the catch-all zone-that-isn't-any-of-the-other zones. A zone defined entirely by negative space.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Dang, the exile zone is the qliphoth of magic the gathering

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Correct, as a zone you can't exile the graveyard, only objects inside it. Of curse they're allowed to change whatever they want and maybe that's this year's latest rule update!

Nah that's been a thing for a while, though I'm not sure why they choose one over the other in various places. Both still get used.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
That's a rare???

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It'd probably be fine at uncommon for limited, so its probs a are for arena as Bo1 graveyard hate.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

incredibly sick

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

That's a result of evolution, isn't it? Like it originally started out as "super destroyed no GY recursion" (like Swords to Plowshares) but over time the exile zone was seen as a new design space and became the "temporarily set aside" and "sort of in your hand" zones, too. Those latter uses didn't exist for the first several years of Magic, I believe.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TipTow posted:

That's a result of evolution, isn't it? Like it originally started out as "super destroyed no GY recursion" (like Swords to Plowshares) but over time the exile zone was seen as a new design space and became the "temporarily set aside" and "sort of in your hand" zones, too. Those latter uses didn't exist for the first several years of Magic, I believe.

It took until the third set, though the first card to explicitly remove something from the game then bring it back was Icy Prison in Ice Age.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It took until the third set, though the first card to explicitly remove something from the game then bring it back was Icy Prison in Ice Age.

oubliette was the first, though they have since changed it from removed from game to phased out so they could reprint it with readable text

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

evilweasel posted:

oubliette was the first, though they have since changed it from removed from game to phased out so they could reprint it with readable text
Wonder how many cards were ever printed with "hence" in the text

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

field balm posted:

incredibly sick

Everybody posting the cool triangle one but no one posting the companion piece.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

brugroffil posted:

Wonder how many cards were ever printed with "hence" in the text

Anyone know of a way to make Scryfall search text that has been officially changed?

I did find these:

plus three cards with "whence" lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nighthand posted:

Everybody posting the cool triangle one but no one posting the companion piece.

:wom:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Leperflesh posted:

Anyone know of a way to make Scryfall search text that has been officially changed?

There's a printed text criteria
If you want cards that have been changed then search for printed text !=Oracle text, which probably covers like every card older than five years with an ability.
Like dies only exists from inn, etb m10 right?
Any Target was last year or the year before

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 22, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

There's a printed text criteria

I can't get it to find that oubliette
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Ahence+is%3Aprintedtext
so I don't think I'm using it right

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Ahence+is%3Aprintedtext

I think Scryfall uses the most up-to-date oracle text which is not going to have "hence" in it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Leperflesh posted:

"oracle" means the updated//errata'd wording, so that's the opposite of what you want.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

"Destroy; can't be regenerated" used to be Bury, and it's one of the few times a keyword was removed and I still don't know why.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Leperflesh posted:

not that that search works for older oracle text (it looks like the older text only shows up in the API but not through search), but i'm looking at the 3 versions of oubliette and none of them have hence in them? are you sure you're not talking about tawnos's coffin?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Silhouette posted:

"Destroy; can't be regenerated" used to be Bury, and it's one of the few times a keyword was removed and I still don't know why.

A few cards also used Bury as an alternate wording for sacrifice

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Silhouette posted:

Regeneration being less relevant than initially thought I reckon.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

not that that search works for older oracle text (it looks like the older text only shows up in the API but not through search), but i'm looking at the 3 versions of oubliette and none of them have hence in them? are you sure you're not talking about tawnos's coffin?

Arabian Nights Oubliette has "Hence" in the card text.

Leperflesh posted:

you're not, the "text" line in the search will query the oracle text. The "Printed Text" criteria will search only through cards that have their printed text in the database. I can't give you a correct answer, but I can tell you that magiccards.info, before it became scryfall, had a search field for exactly this situation. So you're best asking the scryfall people if that function still around, and what the syntax is for that search. I suspect they stopped adding it to the DB at some point, so they made it non-public, but the older cards are the only ones that will have "hence" anyways.

e: this was the validation for what I remembered before the merger: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/97971y/where_can_i_search_for_cards_by_the_printed_text/e46ec52/

ee: If you're comfortable pulling from the API, there's a field called "printed_text" that should serve you.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Regeneration being less relevant than initially thought I reckon.

Yeah but it makes Wrath of God's text lame as hell

BURY ALL CREATURES

vs

destroy all creatures. they can't be regenerated.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Chakan posted:

Arabian Nights Oubliette has "Hence" in the card text.

you're not, the "text" line in the search will query the oracle text. The "Printed Text" criteria will search only through cards that have their printed text in the database. I can't give you a correct answer, but I can tell you that magiccards.info, before it became scryfall, had a search field for exactly this situation. So you're best asking the scryfall people if that function still around, and what the syntax is for that search. I suspect they stopped adding it to the DB at some point, so they made it non-public, but the older cards are the only ones that will have "hence" anyways.

e: this was the validation for what I remembered before the merger: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/97971y/where_can_i_search_for_cards_by_the_printed_text/e46ec52/

well gently caress i looked at the card for a while and went to each individual version of the card but just realized the actual pages also have the updated oracle and not the old text. loving trippy because i looked at each page. my bad.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

well gently caress i looked at the card for a while and went to each individual version of the card but just realized the actual pages also have the updated oracle and not the old text. loving trippy because i looked at each page. my bad.

It happens! I hate using gatherer so I could only guess that was why.

But, after a little further digging I've discovered that the Scryfall API has a printed_text field that can be used for what Leperflesh is looking for. https://scryfall.com/docs/api/cards

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

New Kamigawa looks absolutely sick. Even if the set is terrible it will still be remembered for its art.

I hope it's a slam dunk success to show the execs at hasbro they are all fuckwits for thinking it would do badly because original kami didn't sell well 20 years ago.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dysgenesis posted:

New Kamigawa looks absolutely sick. Even if the set is terrible it will still be remembered for its art.

I hope it's a slam dunk success to show the execs at hasbro they are all fuckwits for thinking it would do badly because original kami didn't sell well 20 years ago.
Original Kami was kick rear end and also had great art.
But saviors ruined everything :mad:
Also it was pretty weak before it became an EDH gold mine.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The basic lands are probably going to be the most sought after things in that entire set. I'd replace the lands I have in my EDH decks with those if I could ever get enough of them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I haven't played in paper for over a year and I want a bunch of those basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Awesome art? Awesome Cardnames? Awful cards?

Sounds like they're capturing the Kamigawa experience pretty well.