Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Marauder, arcanist, archer are all good options. Warrior is bonkers now, the second flexibly lets you level dps and heal simultaneously and summoner is honorary ranged phys now kinda, and the third is haha quick nock goes brrr. The latter two i'd rec, since you said new to mmos and tank responsibility is real (but easily doable with a bit of experience). Maybe get all 3 to lvl 15 and dungeons and let them pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Thanks for your feedback, its given me a few things to think about. I was going on pure 'tell me what I should do' day one and picking the least daunting way into the game, but you've given me a few things to think about.

I had considered picking up warrior or marauder as I haven't levelled either to get us into queues quicker without giving her tanxiety, but I'm now starting to think let her pick whatever and just switching to whichever role to support what she wants to try playing is probably the best idea.

Thanks, thread!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I'd say the most important thing, over any other consideration, is that it be a class she thinks is badass

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Chillgamesh posted:

I think there literally isn't enough time to do this in No Mercy any more if you're 3/3 and Bloodfest is ready. I haven't looked up a guide, are you supposed to hold using NM until before Savage Claw so you can fit in a Burst Strike later

You're right, I was forgetting sonic break, which brings it up to a total of 10 gcds you'd want to fit in and that's one too many.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I'd say the most important thing, over any other consideration, is that it be a class she thinks is badass

Lol the reason I suggested it in the first place was she saw my BLM glam when I was playing a while back and loved the whole witchy aesthetic, but I'm going to have to talk her down from that ledge. As much as I love BLM it's insane having to remember how BLM worked 3 expansions ago when you do duty roulettes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kazy posted:

Time Elapsed: 0m

God that reminds me, last week I got a Nier raid for the first time since EW launched.

It was Paradigm Breach, like 42 min in progress. Expecting some sort of disaster, I zoned in, and they were fighting the last boss, then it ended like one minute later. Someone must've disconnected :negative:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Is smn actually mobile before level 60something when you get bahamut
By 22 you've already got all three gems, so you're only slightly less mobile because the Aethercharge phase is Ruin/Outburst spam at 1.5s cast times. Dreadwyrm Trance at 58 gives you instant casts for that phase + Deathflare, all Summon Bahamut at 70 does is add pet DPS and an extra oGCD in Enkindle Bahamut.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Harrow posted:

I do think the next tank job should use a shield of some kind. I was thinking "giant tower shield plus a lance or hammer/flail" or something like that, but "the shield is a gunshield and is your main weapon" would be pretty sick, too.

A big Shield using tank would be very cool, but I'm still hoping that one day they'll give us Nero and Livia's jobs from the end of ARR.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Another consideration is down the road: show her one of those 10 minute class overviews. Does she think dancer is badass? Well, that's a long road. Rec archer for a ranged phys and shared gear and get her through HW content - for a true newbie that could be months though

King of Solomon posted:

A big Shield using tank would be very cool, but I'm still hoping that one day they'll give us Nero and Livia's jobs from the end of ARR.

I have three tank needs. Beastmaster (will also accept limited job), Nero/ffiv cid hammer man, and rune fencer as kind of a defensive reverse red mage

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh yeah, also, thanks to that post earlier upthread I just solo'd A12S with a ilvl560 Gunbreaker, even getting hit by a few mechanics because I didn't know the fight. It's extremely easy and now I have this bad rear end sword

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Theophany posted:

Any suggestions on what is a solid starter job for somebody who has never played a video game, let alone an MMO?

I ask because I've been playing for years and recently suggested that my gf and I try this as an alternative to simultaneously watching TV shows over long distance because we can actually shoot the poo poo whilst doing something together. She's keen to sign up when the trial accounts open up again next week.

I love playing BLM but its probably not a good steer to give a first timer. The way that SMN has been reworked makes it feel like the gateway drug that got me hooked in the first place.

My feeling is recommend picking up a DPS job to start and see if she likes the game at all, but I'm interested to see what the collective wisdom of the thread is in terms of which red job to pick?

A lot of people are recommending Marauder (what I started with) and Arcanist, and those are great options, but I'm going to go against the grain here and also recommend Pugilist. I understand the desire to have something that's very survivable (a tank, which comes with Tanxiety problems) or ranged, but Pugilist is fun, not too difficult, has the added benefit of an amazing class questline up until she unlocks Monk, and will also teach her how to play melee DPS, in case she decides she's interested in something like Samurai, Ninja, or Reaper down the line.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

Oh yeah, also, thanks to that post earlier upthread I just solo'd A12S with a ilvl560 Gunbreaker, even getting hit by a few mechanics because I didn't know the fight. It's extremely easy and now I have this bad rear end sword

gently caress, ok, this is going on the to do list

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Grimoire posted:

Another consideration is down the road: show her one of those 10 minute class overviews. Does she think dancer is badass? Well, that's a long road. Rec archer for a ranged phys and shared gear and get her through HW content - for a true newbie that could be months though

I have three tank needs. Beastmaster (will also accept limited job), Nero/ffiv cid hammer man, and rune fencer as kind of a defensive reverse red mage

Man, Beastmaster would be such a cool job. I just don't know what role it would fill. DPS makes the most sense for me, but you could easily justify Tank (beefy monsters), Healer (spellcasting monsters ala SCH's fairy), or yeah, a limited job.

E: The more I think about it, the cooler Beastmaster as a Tank job would be. Healer and DPS already have pet classes, let Tanks have that fun too.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 22, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I haven’t touched Reaper yet, but I have to know: do they have any scythes that are designed to be cute and silly like the King Mog weapons?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My girlfriend is also interested in trying the game after occasionally watching me play over the past few years and is in an unfortunate situation: none of the starter jobs seem to really appeal to her, either because of what weapon they use, what role they play, or what they eventually become. She likes bows and would play Archer, but she doesn't want to be a Bard (another case for "it would be cool to have a Sniper/Ranger job"). She thinks using an axe would be cool but has less than zero interest in tanking. She likes Carbuncle and would like to have, but thinks it would be more fun to have an actual weapon instead of carrying a book around.

I think she'll probably go Arcanist at least at first, but this is one of those times I wish more jobs were available at the start, or more classes had two jobs (like a DPS axe job would be perfect for her, or a non-Bard archer).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Harrow posted:

My girlfriend is also interested in trying the game after occasionally watching me play over the past few years and is in an unfortunate situation: none of the starter jobs seem to really appeal to her, either because of what weapon they use, what role they play, or what they eventually become. She likes bows and would play Archer, but she doesn't want to be a Bard (another case for "it would be cool to have a Sniper/Ranger job"). She thinks using an axe would be cool but has less than zero interest in tanking. She likes Carbuncle and would like to have, but thinks it would be more fun to have an actual weapon instead of carrying a book around.

I think she'll probably go Arcanist at least at first, but this is one of those times I wish more jobs were available at the start, or more classes had two jobs (like a DPS axe job would be perfect for her, or a non-Bard archer).

BRD is BRD in name only. BEsides pressing a song every 30 seconds all your buttons are Arrow. Big Arrow. Poisoned Arrows. Magical Summoning of 12 Arrows. Rain of Arrows and GIANT ARROW.

Outside of just renaming the songs "Hunting Technique" it's as Bowman as bowman can get.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

BRD is BRD in name only. BEsides pressing a song every 30 seconds all your buttons are Arrow. Big Arrow. Poisoned Arrows. Magical Summoning of 12 Arrows. Rain of Arrows and GIANT ARROW.

Outside of just renaming the songs "Hunting Technique" it's as Bowman as bowman can get.

Yeah, I think she knows that, it's just the ~vibe~ she's not into I think. That said she really likes the looks of Dancer so I dunno.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I get it, I completely dislike the vibe of Reaper.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Imagine hating rolling into battle with a goddamn book, smdh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Runa posted:

I get it, I completely dislike the vibe of Reaper.

I dunno, reaper is at least a reaper. Bard even fails to give a bard vibe to me and i've been playing that poo poo since ARR. It's always felt like you're Legolas and occasionally you hum a little tune between machine gunning arrows out.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regalingualius posted:

I haven’t touched Reaper yet, but I have to know: do they have any scythes that are designed to be cute and silly like the King Mog weapons?

They have a few "silly" options. Like the follow dyeable chainsaw scythe you can get (Scaevan Magitek Scythe). It can be pink, and that's cute.

The Moonward Crux is really silly looking but not particularly cute.

But nothing on the level of the King Mog weapons, because basically nothing in the game is on that level except those weapons specifically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reaper's weird because it's the first job where it feels kinda unescapable that doing Reaper stuff is... kind of a pretty bad idea. Like the player gets away with it because of protagonist powers but everything about what Reaper gets up to is a bad idea and something you really shouldn't be flirting with.

"Hey lemme just feed the souls of my slain enemies to a voidsent in exchange for dark power" - a hero

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I dunno, reaper is at least a reaper. Bard even fails to give a bard vibe to me and i've been playing that poo poo since ARR. It's always felt like you're Legolas and occasionally you hum a little tune between machine gunning arrows out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI6EyXSN1nI

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

That's definitely a thing Legolas would do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

They have a few "silly" options. Like the follow dyeable chainsaw scythe you can get (Scaevan Magitek Scythe). It can be pink, and that's cute.

But nothing on the level of the King Mog weapons, because basically nothing in the game is on that level except those weapons specifically.

The gold saucer has multiple styles of joke weapons including a series that are all basically the mog ones but with the Fancy Sabutender with a bunch of neon poo poo attached to them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Harrow posted:

I love Warrior and have a lot of fun with Bard, but I'm with your girlfriend here. I wish there was an actual DPS axe job and would hugely prefer Hunter/Ranger/etc to Bard. Oh well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

wdarkk posted:

yeah, my point is that Bard doesn't really have bard vibes as much as just Elven Bowlord vibes.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I get not feeling like Bard is particularly Bard-y, but if it was a Ranger it would have a completely different aesthetic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

admanb posted:

I get not feeling like Bard is particularly Bard-y, but if it was a Ranger it would have a completely different aesthetic.

Only on like... 3 abilities and the AF gear. The generic Aiming gear has plenty of just Fancy Ranger poo poo going on for it. Hell, half the BRD af gears have that. Shadowbringers set with the mantle cape/scarf deal is ranger as all hell.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

yeah, my point is that Bard doesn't really have bard vibes as much as just Elven Bowlord vibes.

Except the job quests, which are like 80% about music in some way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I wish Reaper was attached to a different job group or something. The only gear that really looks like Reaper gear is the gear specifically made for Reaper, the initial job gear and the Tataru set. Every other piece of gear is clearly designed around Dragoons and NONE of it works for Reaper.

Really I just want them to rip off Bloodborne and just steal all of those sets outright :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean sure I get it, I just insist on pretending I'm an Advanced Botanist whenever I'm on an alt leveling it.

Bard at least has an incredibly silly Peloton animation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Except the job quests, which are like 80% about music in some way.

The HW one were more about training two kids and teaching them to be friends. The final boss is a Siren I guess? But it's as much about Songs as the lighthouse dungeon was.

The StB ones are all about going out into the wastes and ruins and finding lost history then banding together everyone to face these dark truths and the people who want to use them like you're Strider himself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I wish Reaper was attached to a different job group or something. The only gear that really looks like Reaper gear is the gear specifically made for Reaper, the initial job gear and the Tataru set. Every other piece of gear is clearly designed around Dragoons and NONE of it works for Reaper.

Really I just want them to rip off Bloodborne and just steal all of those sets outright :v:

I think the Cryptlurker maiming gear looks pretty good for Reaper, too, at least if you include the hooded helmet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The HW one were more about training two kids and teaching them to be friends.
With the entire context for the training being a hunt for a song, and a big part of said training involving the value of song, sure.

The StB ones are all about going out into the wastes and ruins and finding lost history then banding together everyone to face these dark truths and the people who want to use them like you're Strider himself.

So...just the ARR job quests, a big part of the HW job quests, and the level 80 job quest then. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Macaluso posted:

The 87 dungeon gear is also pretty dang reaper-y (and I think it's just a Heroes Gauntlet recolor)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

With the entire context for the training being a hunt for a song, and a big part of said training involving the value of song, sure.

The song in question being The Siren's song because you're hunting one down. Which again is about Songs as much as a random level 50 dungeon everyone has to do is. It's way more about the personal relationship between your two trainees than it is about Being A Bard.

As for the ARR jobs quests, you get just as many quests about Being an Archer/Ranger before that as part of the class's core identity. Which is just as valid a part as the Job quests. So half the ARR poo poo, kinda sort of the last HW quest, and part of the 80 capper. Compared to All The combat poo poo you're doing for 99% of your time playing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Begemot posted:

The 87 dungeon gear is also pretty dang reaper-y (and I think it's just a Heroes Gauntlet recolor)

Oh baby, I gotta get me that set!

Also I wish I could get the Samurai Cryptlurker's set on my Red Mage so I could look like Lady Maria without having to play Samurai (or whatever the other classes were for that set)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The song in question being The Siren's song because you're hunting one down. Which again is about Songs as much as a random level 50 dungeon everyone has to do is. It's way more about the personal relationship between your two trainees than it is about Being A Bard.

Yes, I know, I did that quest this month. The Being a Bard aspect of that questline is everpresent and cannot be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I suddenly have an urge to turn my lala's warrior glamor into a Gimli dressup.