Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Poor dogs. I feel so bad for suburban/city "outside dogs". Why even have a dog if you're just going to leave it outside, bored and neglected, all day every day? Dogs want to be with their family!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My phone is really inconsistent when it comes to allowing me to pause / control audio media on its ui. It seems to work most of the time when I'm using tidal, but for other apps (Spotify, BBC sounds) I have to open the app itself I wanna do anything with it.

It's a pixel 4a, in case anyone has a solution...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Any door that bounces shut again after being opened, or swings open again after failing to shut. gently caress

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I am currently renting a room from an old married couple.
They are usually quite nice, I've even eaten dinner and watched Jeopardy with them.
Last night I drank a bit too much rum, as it happens, but I had a very decent sleep and woke up earlier than I normally do on my days off.
I was immediately accused of being a drunk, due to my "glassy eyes".
Keep in mind that all I did last night was watch Seinfeld and play picross on my computer, with my headphones on.
I don't understand what the problem is with having some drinks and playing a puzzle game?
Especially when there is no work the next day, nor a reason to drive that can't be covered by a taxi/uber.
They just got ridiculuosly mad, and it baffles me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Man why do they give a gently caress anyways, if you're paying on time and not trashing a place, they can eat poo poo

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I can see them having a conversation among themselves about "Gee I hope it doesn't turn out that this guy has a drinking problem" but there was no reason to talk to you about it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only possible legit complaint would be "we can smell the rum and don't like it," and even that's iffy. Like weed smoke is one thing, does booze carry throughout the house? Am an alcoholic, can't tell.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like weed smoke is one thing, does booze carry throughout the house?

Nope.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Google assuming what you meant instead of basing the results on what you actually typed. I typed in "biscuit can won't open" because it won't despite peeling all the wrapping off, and all I get on google is fluff things about how people are scared of the pop. I am not scared of the pop, I want it to happen. Stop ignoring the "won't" part of my query, google.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Don't you have to press a spoon against the seam?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Brawnfire posted:

Don't you have to press a spoon against the seam?

Ok, maybe I didn't read the full directions. I thought it said just to unpeal it, and after bashing it against the counter for a couple minutes I re-read them and it worked. But google still should have said "hey maybe read the directions" instead of directing me to blogs about people who are scared of the pop.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I have an ancient Samsung tablet which I love, but it's started acting up in the last year or so: discharges its battery right down to zero and enters a boot loop when I turn it on after charging it up. I end up doing a factory reset, pushing an OS update, and forcing it to download all the apps I'd had on there pre-reset. Every time. It's a huge pain, but so far, it works. God knows I've had enough practice with it all by now.

This time, though, it skipped a handful of fairly critical apps (as these things go), and it turns out none of them support my Android version anymore. Now I have to dig around in repositories of old APKs, choosing a version at random to see if it works. The version of the Fitbit app I tried first installed okay, but insisted that my E-mail address and/or password were incorrect. They're fine. If you can't run on my hardware, don't be coy--just tell me!

The silver lining: I took the opportunity to uninstall a good dozen bloatware apps along the way, something I'd never done before.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Hirayuki posted:

I have an ancient Samsung tablet which I love, but it's started acting up in the last year or so: discharges its battery right down to zero and enters a boot loop when I turn it on after charging it up. I end up doing a factory reset, pushing an OS update, and forcing it to download all the apps I'd had on there pre-reset. Every time. It's a huge pain, but so far, it works. God knows I've had enough practice with it all by now.

This time, though, it skipped a handful of fairly critical apps (as these things go), and it turns out none of them support my Android version anymore. Now I have to dig around in repositories of old APKs, choosing a version at random to see if it works. The version of the Fitbit app I tried first installed okay, but insisted that my E-mail address and/or password were incorrect. They're fine. If you can't run on my hardware, don't be coy--just tell me!

The silver lining: I took the opportunity to uninstall a good dozen bloatware apps along the way, something I'd never done before.

Unless you're in dire financial straits... It just sounds like you need a new tablet, dude.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Unless you're in dire financial straits... It just sounds like you need a new tablet, dude.
I do, and I've found exactly the one I'd get, and I can absolutely afford it. On the other hand, I'm posting from my restored tablet now, and it's good as new. (See the latest Technology Connections for more on toxic Midwesterninity.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Roku app on my phone loses my TV practically every time I use the remote. I go to quick adjust the volume and it starts device-seeking, then tells me my internet is disconnected, then that the network can't be found, then that there's no devices on the network. When I go to select the device from the preset list, it's like lol dude you're already hooked up to this device champ, just use the remote

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hirayuki posted:

I do, and I've found exactly the one I'd get, and I can absolutely afford it. On the other hand, I'm posting from my restored tablet now, and it's good as new. (See the latest Technology Connections for more on toxic Midwesterninity.)

You need to engage with those financial dommes with the explicit boundary that they solely buy you things you need that you mentally can't spend money on when left to your own devices

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

You say midwestern but imo this is the millenial equivalent of those old southern guys with 15 junkers rusting in their yards. The city can't take that. It's a classic! I'm restoring it I just need a few more parts.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Putting something down in the middle of a flat table and it still somehow falls to the floor. How did it happen? I dunno, I didn't bother to watch!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You say midwestern but imo this is the millenial equivalent of those old southern guys with 15 junkers rusting in their yards. The city can't take that. It's a classic! I'm restoring it I just need a few more parts.
Interesting that you peg it as millennial, since I'm late Gen-X. :corsair: But I broke down and bought a new tablet this morning. The old one will only be shedding more figurative parts with every crash, and it's not going to get any better or easier to restore, that's for sure. My teen can use it for Youtube or something; it's got to be better than a tiny phone screen. :unsmith:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's extremely annoying that the CDC vaccination cards are just ever so slightly wider than a standard bi-fold wallet.

So it sits in my wallet, barely going past the midpoint, so one edge gets all bent and curved, and it also makes the wallet "puffier" than it would otherwise be.

Who designed this? Was it that hard to think for five seconds on where the most popular place to keep it would be, and size it accordingly?

I know not all wallets are the same size, but I can say with relative certainty that most bi-fold wallets, which seem to be pretty dang common, are just slightly wider than the average US bill, so the CDC cards should have been no wider than half of a bill, so it perfectly fits in one half of one of the most common wallet types without getting damaged.

It seems like they used an arbitrary size based on the old vax cards from days of yore. People used to carry "bill folds" which would fit that card fine. I have a bill fold from my grandpa sitting somewhere. They are much bigger but only fit in the pocket of your coat, not your trousers.

I just take a picture of my wife and kids cards and keep them on my phone. I keep the actual cards for my family in my fire safe.

I do agree with you, the cards are a terrible size.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I just folded mine in half and stuck it in my wallet. I also took a picture of it on my phone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Imagined posted:

Poor dogs. I feel so bad for suburban/city "outside dogs". Why even have a dog if you're just going to leave it outside, bored and neglected, all day every day? Dogs want to be with their family!

For real, I get so mad at people that mistreat animals

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

This is a dumb gripe, but here goes: I don't mind the articles that say "Fans notice 10 things about [CLASSIC MOVIE] we've never noticed before!!!" but when they say the same poo poo about a movie that came out in September of 2021 it's like

oh you NEVER noticed these things?

In the two or three times you've watched it in the whole four months it's been viewable, you've NEVER NOTICED these things? WOW! How have these easter eggs remained buried for lo these many weeks!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Brawnfire posted:

This is a dumb gripe, but here goes: I don't mind the articles that say "Fans notice 10 things about [CLASSIC MOVIE] we've never noticed before!!!" but when they say the same poo poo about a movie that came out in September of 2021 it's like

oh you NEVER noticed these things?

In the two or three times you've watched it in the whole four months it's been viewable, you've NEVER NOTICED these things? WOW! How have these easter eggs remained buried for lo these many weeks!

I hate when it's something really obvious. Little set dressing things are fine like "Oh this character has this little symbol on their clothing representing their thing" cause it's like "Hey yeah, that's cute, irrelevant and easily missed if you aren't looking for it..." but then you have really dumb poo poo like "Unlockables in this game that no one has seen!" and it's like "OH REALLY? In a game famous for being 100%ed a lot by even casual fans, no one has ever seen that minifigure in Lego Star Wars?!" "Side quests that you may have missed! *is a really easy to find sidequest that throws itself at you*"

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I think that dogs are cool, don't get me wrong.
But when they bark for literally twelve hours each day, it's like shut up yo.

So much the same. How do you not notice or care that your dog is barking continuously for 18 hours a day, every day? How do dogs even do that without their voices getting tired?

I've mentioned it before, but it's such a thing. gently caress people that get a dog and then never interact with it again beyond leaving out a food bowl. Why even bother at that point? They don't care for the dog at all and let it wander around town attacking random people. And then, when somebody justifiably kills the thing, these people are completely unable to comprehend why they go through a new dog every four months.

Same thing goes for people that have "outdoor cats". gently caress off. If you get a pet you're supposed to take care of it!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Same thing goes for people that have "outdoor cats". gently caress off. If you get a pet you're supposed to take care of it!

Not to mention that every single 'outdoor cat' is a localized disaster for all the birds and reptiles in their neighborhood.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Getting a text message like "Are you available to discuss this this afternoon?" immediately responding "Sure. Does 4pm work for you?" and then hearing nothing back. Did you message me and then immediately throw your phone into the sea? What the gently caress is happening? You initiated this conversation, so why am I now the one waiting on a reply from you?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate it when I spill coffee

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tiggum posted:

Getting a text message like "Are you available to discuss this this afternoon?" immediately responding "Sure. Does 4pm work for you?" and then hearing nothing back. Did you message me and then immediately throw your phone into the sea? What the gently caress is happening? You initiated this conversation, so why am I now the one waiting on a reply from you?

:agreed:

Similarly, I hate when people ask to RE-schedule and then don't reply when you tell them your availability. Like, okay, you could have just cancelled but whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When someone has a very intriguing instagram name but then their profile is just like, five lovely photos taken months ago.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When someone has the exact Twitter handle you want and they have one tweet from 8 years ago.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You should be able to register username7 or whatever and usurp the original username if you get more likes over a certain amount of time than anyone else using usernameX

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
It's not an album unless it's at least 30 minutes long. Anything shorter than that is an EP and we're still waiting for your next album to come out. It gets particularly silly when the modern habit of releasing 25-minute "albums" intersects with the modern habit of releasing a four or five promotional singles and the actual release ends up being all of two new songs.

*Punk rock exception: if it has 10+ songs you can still call it an album even if it's only like 23 minutes long.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

An EP is still an album even if it isn't an LP.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Skipping-stone estimates. I feel stores are especially likely to pull this bullshit because they're terrified they'll lose a sale if they admit that it's a while until it gets in stock.

I want to buy a solid pastry gun/syringe for my mom for mother's day. It was originally supposed to be for christmas, but it was out of stock.
I believe the dates they've said it would get back in stock is: 11th dec, 18th, 26th, 28th, 5th of jan, 8th of jan, 21st, 26th.

If I had known it would be this pissy I would just have gotten the more expensive variant with more bits in, because that was in stock.
But now that too is out of stock. Only store in the country that carries it too. Ugh.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Imagined posted:

When someone has the exact Twitter handle you want and they have one tweet from 8 years ago.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You should be able to register username7 or whatever and usurp the original username if you get more likes over a certain amount of time than anyone else using usernameX
hello, I wish either common interpretation of my username had been on my mind when I chose it in like 2001, well before I finally got around to registering here

stringless has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Jan 23, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm 40 years old dad, I know how football works.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

People in the shops with the "chin diaper" mask. I hate it. I've hated it since the pandemic started and I still hate it today. Today while I was getting my groceries, I saw an 80-year-old lady toddling down the aisle with her mask firmly strapped under her chin. It's like, LADY, of the two of us, you're far more likely to loving DIE if you catch COVID, yet I'm the one wearing my mask properly!

I've always hated shopping and this pandemic has only reinforced my hate.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I’ve seen mesh masks on the internet before, presumably so people can go “I’m still wearing a mask! :smug:

My pet peeve is that the handle for the shower/bath tap is stupidly shaped with a small gap between the temperature part and the part that turns the water on so if you get it at the wrong angle you can easily smash your finger in the gap when trying to turn the water on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
People who don't shovel their snow off their bit of the sidewalk/a path to the front door. gently caress you, you lazy prick. I hope someone twists an ankle on it when it turns to ice and they sue your lazy rear end.