Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drimble Wedge posted:

This is literally his hometown. Has he never been anywhere except home and school?

Canadian Regionalism strikes again: this strip is set in the GTA which is a continuous rats nest full of gently caress on the roads. You can slide onto a highway and two exits over be in literally a different town which you'd never have any reason to go to in your life ever to visit for any reason, and it's completely full of one-way streets and the on-ramp going back the other direction for some reason isn't anywhere near the exit you took.

People like to poo poo on this strip for many good reasons but this is actually painfully plausible to the point where it could serve as a pointed critique of city planning in the GTA (it's not, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I grew up in what I guess you'd call "rustic suburbs" and when I started driving I found it very, very easy to get lost, just because everything not on the interstate was a big tangle of backroads with similar names, and trees, and very samey looking historical sites, and Wawas. I remember at one point, when I was 17, being unsure of which of two people I should date, and finally making my decision based on "well, I can get to HER house by just getting to where the river is and going right until the Wawa, and then just hanging a left at blah blah blah [...]"

Thankfully I got a GPS for the holidays before leaving for college, but that first year and a half or so was rocky and I think this FOOB arc is actually kinda relatable.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommonShore posted:

People like to poo poo on this strip for many good reasons but this is actually painfully plausible to the point where it could serve as a pointed critique of city planning in the GTA (it's not, though).

I was worried Michael would get in to a wreck.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drimble Wedge posted:

This is literally his hometown. Has he never been anywhere except home and school?

He's an inexperienced driver. He may know his town on foot, and by bike, and ridden around with his parents in cars...but he wasn't paying attention. Few kids do.

I was shocked to learn this when my son started driving. He needed directions everywhere. Eventually, the car-map figured itself out in his head.

In this case, the kid is so excited to be out in Dad's hot car that it is unlikely he was paying a whole lot of attention to where he was going; now he's in a spot he's never been to before & doesn't know where he is. Now he has to learn how to read a map, a necessary skill in the days before GPS & smartphones, but a dying skill today.

Hopefully, he can locate the airport on a map...

CommonShore posted:

Canadian Regionalism strikes again: this strip is set in the GTA which is a continuous rats nest full of gently caress on the roads. You can slide onto a highway and two exits over be in literally a different town which you'd never have any reason to go to in your life ever to visit for any reason, and it's completely full of one-way streets and the on-ramp going back the other direction for some reason isn't anywhere near the exit you took.

This is my experience driving around my wife's home area of Rochester, NY. Even worse at night because they skimp on lighting & it gets really rural, really fast.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 22, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I was completely baffled by the "rub snow on it" part here, so I googled it. It seems that a century ago, the standard first aid for frostbite involved warming up the area very slowly, and I guess the snow step brought it from "extremely cold" to merely "very cold". In the 1950s it was proven that all this does is make it worse, and it was much better to rapidly warm the area back up without unnecessary dawdling. A search for the snow-rubbing practice today mostly returns warning to never do it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

Jucika But Modern

I like how polite Spamton J. Spamton appears to be about inquiring about dominatrix services.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are a lot of valid criticisms of FOOB but one thing that I think slips by some readers is that the slice of life stuff is often extremely geographically/culturally specific in a way that follows certain trends in Canadian literature from that era. In the 60s and 70s you had women like (now Nobel Laureate) Alice Munro or Margaret Lawrence getting international acclaim for writing stories that interrogate extremely small subdivisions of Canadian society as a way of resisting (among other things) homogeneous, usually masculine, nationalist narratives. I.e. "This is the story of all Canadians" -- "Well here's a very specific realist story about a young woman's experience in the northern half of Huron county, suggesting that our big, sparsely populated country has no single unifying story."

Margaret Lawrence is an easy example for how specific this can get: she set most of her stories in and around a fictitious town that's a transparent cipher for a real one - Neepawa, Manitoba. She frequently returns to a particular house as a setting, and that's a specific house - like it's not a "this could be any house in any small town" (though a reader can make that connection) but the idiosyncracies of her fictitious house are literally a house that you can go visit.

So what I see (basing this more on my knowledge of Canadian literature and what I read in the thread, not on interviews with her or any specific FOOB research) is that in the 70s and 80s when e.g. Margaret Atwood was a fashionable white Canadian feminist putting the spotlight on women's experiences, Lynn Johnston took the opportunity to make a general, watered down daily comic strip riffing on the same theme for Very Concerned Middle Class White Suburban Moms.

The point is that when there's something like this in FOOB, take a moment to remind yourself that this isn't necessarily an "everymom, everykid" characterization situation - this style of writing is about capturing idioyncratic, hyper-local things, and it's not usually trying to generalize them.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

When I first started driving I was driving a coworker home and took a wrong turn in my hometown and got lost. I mean I recognized everything around me as I had seen it before at some point, but it wasn't a place I went to a lot and I just didn't know how to get home from there. And now I was late getting home so I thought my mom would be worried and all, so I worked myself into a panic about the whole thing. I wound up stopping and calling my mom for directions, and it turned out i was like 2 turns away from an area I was very familiar with.

Selachian posted:

Stephen Collins

drat, Collins is good.
You know, I could understand Ed giving his son a hard time in a misguided effort to get him to 'grow up' and get out of the house—it's not a good thing to do or even the most effective way to do it but I can see the rationalization.

Here though, Dustin's not even there. He's just expressing contempt for his own son to some dude at a party.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Doh!

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Also for FOOB, how easily we forget that we didn't always have GPS; when I started driving for my delivery job, we had no GPS or anything but outdated paper maps, and those certainly didn't show the new one-way streets, or the suicide lanes (hope your car clock isn't fast or slow!) or the actual places to deliver to: it's not the loving front door, amazingly enough!

Imagine Wilbur driving.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

The little Wilbur that Couldn't

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just die already.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Spud. My dude. Stop eating the demonic sandwiches.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Wishing that we had just cut away from wilbur for about 2 real life years (so like idk 3 months in comic or w/e)

we know he's on the island ,we know he'll inexpicliably leave, let us have the reprieve before the Miraculous Rescue storyline

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

goatface posted:

What even is pudding, really?

The Bloop posted:

A miserable little pile of sucrose

I just want you to know this was pretty great

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

He'll climb the palm, fall down but in doing so will be spotted by the ship and rescued immediately. Because we can't have good things.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CommonShore posted:

Here in Portland we've got one tangle of highways (I-5/405/Hwy-26 and God knows what else, just south of PSU) where you either go into it knowing exactly where you're trying to come out, or you're screwed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Curtis

There's a good 30-40 years between the popularity of either of those groups, but whatever.
:ssh: You posted the same Curtis twice.

PainterofCrap posted:

He's an inexperienced driver. He may know his town on foot, and by bike, and ridden around with his parents in cars...but he wasn't paying attention. Few kids do.

I was shocked to learn this when my son started driving. He needed directions everywhere. Eventually, the car-map figured itself out in his head.
Yup, I remember when I was first starting to drive and my mom realized that she actually needed to point out the main streets and what their names are, because when you've only ever been a passenger you had no reason to pay attention to that stuff. Imagine that! Yes, you know the general layout of your town, but that doesn't help when you're driving a car and need to know which streets specifically connect to which other streets. (that goes double if you live somewhere where the roads are laid out like spaghetti because god forbid someone go through a residential area when they don't live there; this covers a lot of american(and presumably canadian) suburbia)

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

the thing about this Foob is that (1) I completely buy he got lost in his hometown driving but (2) it just throws into sharp relief how loving dumb the weird half-updates-to-the-modern-day thing is (drawing in seatbelts, whatever, but changing year references to the 2020s like they did a few months back for a sports thing). Now, the kid would probably have a smart phone with GPS!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I don't care much that Foob is in perma-reruns. Honestly, like, we'd post it anyway, and it's a long-running serial strip that doesn't get as bogged down as most soap strips seem to. But just say "okay, here's a strip about Canada in the 80s" or whatever! nobody cares that the Peanuts kids aren't playing video games

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Spud. My dude. Stop eating the demonic sandwiches.

That's not going to happen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're really good sandwiches.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Have you seen Ljubjana before? If you have read everything – and I mean everything – I’ve ever published, she appears in one strip, and be warned, not a very good one, from 1998. There were two virtually unused character designs from Bobbins – Ljubjana, and Amy’s boyfriend Larry. I’d like to tell you that I’d worked out rich internal lives for them, but really I just drew them once then printed them out on my bubble jet, very small, as if to apologise.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

And I don't usually share Q-Rais' dailies, but I felt compelled to translate yesterday's (it's from a series of "surreal night visits to Q-Rais' apartment"):

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
:stare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Heavenly Nostrils after dark.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

dismas posted:

the thing about this Foob is that (1) I completely buy he got lost in his hometown driving but (2) it just throws into sharp relief how loving dumb the weird half-updates-to-the-modern-day thing is (drawing in seatbelts, whatever, but changing year references to the 2020s like they did a few months back for a sports thing). Now, the kid would probably have a smart phone with GPS!

:yeah:

Plus, there's also the eternal criticism: how stupid her "terrified face" in which people somehow display their entire bottom row of teeth looks. I defy you to make that expression without hurting yourself.

If this was a criticism of Ed's boomer shortsightedness and ignorance, it'd be a much better strip, but as it is we're obviously supposed to sympathize with the rich rear end in a top hat describing his son constantly applying for and working lovely temp jobs and substitute teaching as "lacking all motivation", so it loving sucks. Eat poo poo and die Skelley!

lmfao

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Okay, Greg, WE can't see what lies beyond the border of the middle panel, but Tiff CAN. Tiff can see Stef that whole time. She knows they're both there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay, Greg, WE can't see what lies beyond the border of the middle panel, but Tiff CAN. Tiff can see Stef that whole time. She knows they're both there.

There does appear to be a door.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There also appears to the implied motion of Tiff's head turning to her right

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Greg has attended the Mookie School of Cartooning where nothing exists beyond the panel borders.

CommonShore posted:

There also appears to the implied motion of Tiff's head turning to her right

I went back and looked at that comic again and while I know it's just to show her face, that's not a woman turning her head to her right. Her head is turned 180 degrees from the front of her body, that's some owl poo poo right there.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (Apr 23, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 11-12, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bimmi posted:

Just the dumbest way to tell a story. What's the endgame supposed to be, here? Phantom reads the whole thing and goes "welp, guess I won't," rendering this entire arc pointless? Or forges ahead anyway with a two-panel "And He Did" anticlimax? Or some SHOCKING TWIST only made possible by this ridiculous, straight-rear end-seeing-the-future deus ex machina poo poo? I'm just invested enough in the outcome to be really loving annoyed with how they've chosen to get there.

in mozz's story he thought he was dying and was the only person who knew how to contact his son, so he told savarna how.

After reading part of the story he told his wife the information. We've already derailed mozz's prophecy but mozz doesn't know that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Zereth posted:

in mozz's story he thought he was dying and was the only person who knew how to contact his son, so he told savarna how.

After reading part of the story he told his wife the information. We've already derailed mozz's prophecy but mozz doesn't know that.

So we're going to spend the next four months on part 2 of this pipe dream, only this time we know it's a dream and none of it matters, and with another shocking death but not really if the title's anything to go by. Truly gripping storytelling.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

lol

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

it was predicted but also it's pathetic and cartoonish so whatever

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i hope he runs into his old girlfriend and constantly gets big dicked by the guy who she's dating now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I am so original.