Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
KoTOR has you spend ~a third of your levels before being a Jedi meaning you can sink a bunch of points into things that are useless in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FFXIV keeps throwing timed DPS challenges where failure means game over. This is frustrating when playing as a healer or a tank and you simply can't kill fast enough on normal difficulty.

solo instances are scaled for whatever role you're playing

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

somepartsareme posted:

solo instances are scaled for whatever role you're playing

Not scaled enough, like that bullshit fight against the boss of 4.5. At one point he summons three targets you have to destroy in 15 seconds or so, or get a game over and start again from ten minutes ago. My tank simply couldn't keep up on normal difficulty.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The whole issue of Deus Ex: Human Revolution having bosses built to be shot with guns like an animated Resident Evil movie regardless of if you wanted to be a master theif or not use a gun initially.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Not scaled enough, like that bullshit fight against the boss of 4.5. At one point he summons three targets you have to destroy in 15 seconds or so, or get a game over and start again from ten minutes ago. My tank simply couldn't keep up on normal difficulty.

I've done pretty much every story instance in the game on tanks and not had any problems with dps, don't know what to tell you

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Disco Elysium had the one Shivers check you had to pass, and you could softlock the game if you don't have accomodation on Night 2, despite the idea of being a hobo-cop.

The Shivers check is fairly trivial regardless of your build if you've been actually following up on the sidequests. The only person I've ever heard of having trouble with it was someone on these boards who somehow managed to abort most of the sidequests which you can really only do by playing in possibly the most boring way imaginable. I had one point in shivers and still had like a 90% chance of passing it

e: after looking it up, it seems there are other players who had trouble with it (mostly by skipping quests, not paying attention, and having low phys), but also apparently the devs added some additional stuff that makes it easier if you fail the check

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I think the obvious answer is Fallout 4 shoving a minigun fight against a Deathclaw at you right away. gently caress you if you want to play stealth or low-strength; you're fighting a deathclaw with a giant weapon now.

That poo poo was ridiculous. Thankfully I had a lot of drugs to help me through that part.

Disco Elysium had the one Shivers check you had to pass, and you could softlock the game if you don't have accomodation on Night 2, despite the idea of being a hobo-cop.

But on the other hand you had to really put some effort in to not pass that check and not find accommodation for night 2.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

KoTOR has you spend ~a third of your levels before being a Jedi meaning you can sink a bunch of points into things that are useless in the long run.
Oh yeah, I remember min-maxing KotOR by not spending any points past level 4 or 6 or whatever the absolute minimum was for the "tutorial" planet, so there were more points left over for cool Jedi stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

orcane posted:

Oh yeah, I remember min-maxing KotOR by not spending any points past level 4 or 6 or whatever the absolute minimum was for the "tutorial" planet, so there were more points left over for cool Jedi stuff.

Yeah.

If you choose the right things for those later non-Jedi levels it works out okay but it's really easy to make a character that just isn't as fun or functional as it should be.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cleretic posted:

I think the obvious answer is Fallout 4 shoving a minigun fight against a Deathclaw at you right away. gently caress you if you want to play stealth or low-strength; you're fighting a deathclaw with a giant weapon now.

I agree that it's a little egregious, but it's also the game showing you that you can punch above your weight class if you prepare or bring good equipment.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Philippe posted:

I agree that it's a little egregious, but it's also the game showing you that you can punch above your weight class if you prepare or bring good equipment.

the problem is that the equipment is so good (the armor at least) that it trivalizes pretty much 99% of content. thats not really preparation.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Muscle Wizard posted:

the problem is that the equipment is so good (the armor at least) that it trivalizes pretty much 99% of content. thats not really preparation.

Sure, but you also burn through all the ammo and power sources you have in that fight so it not like the game is ruined, because you can't afford to just keep running around with it. It's a much better way to give you that taste of power than how FO3 gave you useless broken laser weapons at the start.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Open world games have no business trying to pull a Metroidvania or Mega Man X progression system homage like that. Give me 3 hours of shooting rates with a BB Gun that jams every 8 shots or fighting goblins with a museum gallery's worth of swords that explode into shrapnel by the ninth hit or gently caress off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mafia 3 is such a hacked-together piece of crap that it barely runs on anything you dare to download it into. it's a glitchy mess on pc, playing it on ps4 turns the room into an airport tarmac, and it's one of a scant handful of games that's not fully compatible with ps5

it's a completely unremarkable open-world crime-em-up, what the hell is making it behave this way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wait, what? I don't remember any particular bugginess sticking out on PS4 when I played some of it a while back.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Hel posted:

Sure, but you also burn through all the ammo and power sources you have in that fight so it not like the game is ruined, because you can't afford to just keep running around with it. It's a much better way to give you that taste of power than how FO3 gave you useless broken laser weapons at the start.

Yea, power armor has limitations in FO4 (nothing else has durability and fuel mechanics, and some weapons can't be used while wearing power armor), so it's not even the absolute best gear to use at all times, except for that one scripted introductory sequence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember any particular bugginess sticking out on PS4 when I played some of it a while back.

it's the most stable platform, it just makes the console's fans go ballistic despite not being that graphically intensive

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Clean your ps4 air vent holes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some PS4 Pro models are just freakin loud, there’s nothing you can really do about it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Inscryption is pretty neat until the part where you have to play a card game. Avoiding spoilers but boy oh boy having to play through those three maps with the same three bosses again and again, hoping the rng doesn't gently caress me once again was tedious as poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Inscription really put people off for the fact that the gameplay advertised is from the first act of the game.

Aside from Brutal Legend, which was always meant to be a mediocre RTS, and MGS2, which deliberately obfuscated the main characters role, what are games where the core of the experience is not reflected in the advertising?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the game Nobody Saves the World you have two kinds of ways to gain levels, regular XP which just raises stats and FP (Form Points) which levels up your different shapes that gives them more abilities and lets you unlock new shapes. Which is why it is weird that when you do major story dungeons the game locks you out of gaining FP.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Inscription really put people off for the fact that the gameplay advertised is from the first act of the game.

Aside from Brutal Legend, which was always meant to be a mediocre RTS, and MGS2, which deliberately obfuscated the main characters role, what are games where the core of the experience is not reflected in the advertising?

you seen mobile ads lately?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Stexils posted:

you seen mobile ads lately?

I think the worst I've seen for this, even more so than those gacha games that advertise like lovely puzzle games or whatever, are the ads I've seen for Evertale. The ads make it look like some sort of horror-themed pokemon-like, something spooky and full of death. When I noticed that the icon shown in the ads was one of this anime waifu-type, I figured something was up, and lo and behold, it's just some lovely waifu/monster collecting game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cleretic posted:

To be fair, power armor makes your strength 11 when you wear it.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Hel posted:

fighting the deathclaw takes like 20% of your charge tops and you can find fusion cores pretty much anywhere, eventually even vendors sell them at 3-4 a time. and fo4 does give you useless broken laser weapons at literally the same time as the power armor lol.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

Inscryption is pretty neat until the part where you have to play a card game. Avoiding spoilers but boy oh boy having to play through those three maps with the same three bosses again and again, hoping the rng doesn't gently caress me once again was tedious as poo poo.

There are several ways to cheese it. You could kill the guys at the fire with an Asp and level up a card several times, you can get an Ourobos and just level that thing up to ridiculous extent. I used a totem that gives you a copy of the card you just played back and attached it to squirrels so I could pretty much chain sacrifice and play any card I liked. Theres probably half a dozen ways more.
Granted all those ways also depend on the RNG in some way but you should encounter at least some of them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can't say this enough, but no game in the world has been improved by jamming in stealth sections without stealth mechanics being a fundamental core of the system design. It just hasn't happened, and nobody can convince me otherwise.
No I'm not angry at Breath of the Wild, why would you ask

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Botw at least let's you go loud if you mess up, except maybe one part (I can't remember for sure now). It's only a real issue if it's an instant fail, as long as I can still kill everyone ill allow it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

There are several ways to cheese it. You could kill the guys at the fire with an Asp and level up a card several times, you can get an Ourobos and just level that thing up to ridiculous extent. I used a totem that gives you a copy of the card you just played back and attached it to squirrels so I could pretty much chain sacrifice and play any card I liked. Theres probably half a dozen ways more.
Granted all those ways also depend on the RNG in some way but you should encounter at least some of them.

I mean, yeah, I did it by making my squirrels immortal (by luck of the draw) and by powering up units in the fire to the point where deploying one of them could one-shot any opponent (also luck of the draw). But like you said, it's all rng. I rarely feel like I'm succeeding due to my own plans or strategies, I've just happened to draw cards that I can actually play.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Schubalts posted:

Yea, power armor has limitations in FO4 (nothing else has durability and fuel mechanics, and some weapons can't be used while wearing power armor), so it's not even the absolute best gear to use at all times, except for that one scripted introductory sequence.

Also I think it does help somewhat that, unless you pointedly gently caress off away from the introductory quests (which yes, people absolutely do and yes blah blah blah Bethesda MQs suck, yadda yadda) it is strictly meant to be an introductory moment before your character is fully defined. I mean, even in New Vegas AFAIK the tutorial is scripted for you to knock over the bottles with a gun, even if you might prefer to be a wild west punchman the whole time otherwise. Not to say it isn't intrusive and plays poorly because you're thrown into the deep end, but it's a smidge better than something like Human Revolution's boss fights.

Though yeah, this does remind me of one of my pet peeves which is that due to how things work in Fallout 4, I built a character that was fundamentally worse if she ever put on power armor, because power armor suppresses certain other armor/apparel bonuses because gently caress you. Which basically killed any desire to interact with the system beyond building up a giant collection of power armor at my home base. Well that and the inability to do basically anything with power armor without also investing heavily in the god stat, Intelligence.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
Inscryption is breakable and unbalanced on purpose because the card game isn't the point, it's just window dressing for the metaplot

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Chloe Jessica posted:

Inscryption is breakable and unbalanced on purpose because the card game isn't the point, it's just window dressing for the metaplot

Yeah that's what I thought too but that point is kinda invalidated when 4/5ths of your gametime is spent on it. it's why I'm annoyed, I want far less card game and way more other stuff, literally anything else

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Though yeah, this does remind me of one of my pet peeves which is that due to how things work in Fallout 4, I built a character that was fundamentally worse if she ever put on power armor, because power armor suppresses certain other armor/apparel bonuses because gently caress you. Which basically killed any desire to interact with the system beyond building up a giant collection of power armor at my home base. Well that and the inability to do basically anything with power armor without also investing heavily in the god stat, Intelligence.

I didn't really liked the power armor because it ran out of juice and I didn't really like the hud layout for it. I used the Minutemen general's uniform during my entire playthrough and only wore the power armor in the Glowing Sea. I kept running into power armor though and I also built up a little collection at home base.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't quite explain the appeal but there was also something to telling my companion "yo, hop in that sick power armor" and have them stomp around behind me while I continued on dressed as a half-naked barbarian.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Oxxidation posted:

mafia 3 is such a hacked-together piece of crap that it barely runs on anything you dare to download it into. it's a glitchy mess on pc, playing it on ps4 turns the room into an airport tarmac, and it's one of a scant handful of games that's not fully compatible with ps5

it's a completely unremarkable open-world crime-em-up, what the hell is making it behave this way

It's not a glitchy mess on my PC :colbert:

Edit: except when it does crash, which it occasionally does, it won't release my desktop back to me, and I have to like shut the entire computer down because the task manager is hidden behind Nothing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*the Goodfellas 'Layla' scene except it's goons finding out their computers are crashed or locked up*

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Hygiene posted:

*the Goodfellas 'Layla' scene except it's goons finding out their computers are crashed or locked up*

Oh n-

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Botw at least let's you go loud if you mess up, except maybe one part (I can't remember for sure now). It's only a real issue if it's an instant fail, as long as I can still kill everyone ill allow it

just spam bomb arrows quickly, guards can't report you if they're being exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morpheus posted:

I think the worst I've seen for this, even more so than those gacha games that advertise like lovely puzzle games or whatever, are the ads I've seen for Evertale. The ads make it look like some sort of horror-themed pokemon-like, something spooky and full of death. When I noticed that the icon shown in the ads was one of this anime waifu-type, I figured something was up, and lo and behold, it's just some lovely waifu/monster collecting game.

Even Evony advertises with those stupid puzzles now, which is extremely funny for the game that everyone knows more for their “come play, my lord” horndog bait than anything else about it.