Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Rich Girl is by Hall & Oates. Not Billy Joel.

Admittedly I’ve never really paid much attention to the song and the only bit I knew was the main hook. Maybe I assumed piano and singer = Billy Joel, maybe I got the title mixed up with Uptown Girl. No idea.

Considering I listen to Maneater and I Can’t Go For That on an almost daily basis I feel some deal of shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You should listen to the best of Hall&Oates sometime, they have more than 2 great songs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Speaking of musical realizations, I recently realized that a lot of radio songs I hate are all Eric Clapton. I didn't realize the connection until just recently, but it makes a lot of sense.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of musical realizations, I recently realized that a lot of radio songs I hate are all Eric Clapton. I didn't realize the connection until just recently, but it makes a lot of sense.

He's also a piece of poo poo on addition to writing mostly crap music for most of his career

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That fact definitely helped me accept my realization. I don't like not liking things, so usually when I realize I dislike an artist I'll give them a renewed chance. The college try.

gently caress Clapton, though. gently caress him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The E.B. White who co-wrote The Elements of Style is the same E.B. White who wrote Charlotte’s Web.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sultans of Swing is by Dire Straits, not Tom Petty.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I guess I can kinnnnnnda hear the similarity between a Geordie playing gypsy-jazz flavoured AOR, and a guy from Florida who played blues-rock/power-pop/AOR. But it's a stretch

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't just learn this, but more people should know: Chris Foss, the spaceship artist (as seen in the concept art for Jodorowsky's Dune) also did the original black and white illustrations for The Joy of Sex

The ones with the beardo

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Failed Imagineer posted:

You should listen to the best of Hall&Oates sometime, they have more than 2 great songs

Co-signing this, their singles discography alone is just like hit after hit after hit

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

a sexual elk posted:

I knew this and I have absolutely no idea why. I know nothing about Dire Straits and very little about Tom Petty except that he played Lucky.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pookah posted:

I knew this and I have absolutely no idea why. I know nothing about Dire Straits and very little about Tom Petty except that he played Lucky.

He also has a song called "You Got Lucky" which has a banger of a Mad Max music video which did numbers in the early days of MTV.

Also, Tom Petty owns, you heathens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he also wrote "you got it" by Roy Orbison

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

hawowanlawow posted:

he also wrote "you got it" by Roy Orbison

The various overlaps between all nine members of the Traveling Wilburys are pretty great

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah Travelling Wilburys were also the poo poo. Dude could be an equal partner in a band with Bob Dylan , Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and Jeff Lynne, and also a songwriting icon in his own right. Put some respect on that hillbilly's name.

Also big respect to Petty for calling himself out in 2015 on his use of a Confederate Flag back in the 80s, just a straight up decent guy

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/tom-petty-on-past-confederate-flag-use-it-was-downright-stupid-177619/

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I used to think Soul Asylum’s Runaway Train was a Tom Petty song.

I was going to go to bat for a few Clapton songs but it turns out that the good ones are all when he was part of Cream or Derrick and the Dominoes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I was going to go to bat for a few Clapton songs but it turns out that the good ones are all when he was part of Cream or Derrick and the Dominoes.

Yep. He's a good guitar player whose musical quality is completely up to the quality of his collaborators.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I started to do this too and then had the same revelation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I used to think the cars were singing. "I don't like you coming around, wasting all my time". I couldn't wrap my mind around why he was being so tsundere until I saw the lyrics are "I don't mind you..."

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Southern Accents, an album featuring a song known for its heavy use of that quintessential southern American instrument, the sitar.
Tom Petty was the best.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean India is pretty far south of the Mason-Dixon .

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, it doesn't say Southern American Accents. South Asia is still southern.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it doesn't say Southern American Accents. South Asia is still southern.

Admittedly, it would have been a very different album if Tom Petty had affected an Apu accent on every song

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Regarding the Forest Moon of Endor, apparently, Endor is the moon. I always thought it was a forest moon, of a planet named Endor. So that's taken a while to realize, I guess!

EDIT: Okay, so the Star Wars wiki tells me both the planet and the forest moon are named Endor, which is loving stupid

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Regarding the Forest Moon of Endor, apparently, Endor is the moon. I always thought it was a forest moon, of a planet named Endor. So that's taken a while to realize, I guess!

EDIT: Okay, so the Star Wars wiki tells me both the planet and the forest moon are named Endor, which is loving stupid

And the Suns!! Endor (the planet) is also called Tana, if that makes you feel better.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sure, by the Ewoks :rolleyes:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Sure, by the Ewoks :rolleyes:

Well it's not like anyone lives on Endor* to give it a more official name. It only makes sense that the inhabitants of Endor** give a name to Endor***.

*the planet
**the moon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Brawnfire posted:

What, have you never looked up and seen that shining star in the daytime, the Earth? Or glanced up at night to see the Earth in all its changing phases?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Earth's name isn't Earth.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What is it? Please. Tellus.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

yes it is

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's goddamn Moon Moon, isn't it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's Kyrpä-Jooseppi.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Brawnfire posted:

Like most Star Wars EU stuff, they've felt the need to unnecessarily clarify something that was ambiguous in the movie while being overly careful not to contradict absolutely anything else. Because that might shatter the illusion, or something?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Brawnfire posted:

What is it? Please. Tellus.

Just wanted to let you know this didn’t go unappreciated.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
Oh man, I feel pretty dumb for this one. There's a cool looking spy game that's been sitting in my Steam backlog forever called Invisible Inc. I just thought "might be time to finally give this a go" , and then it hit me...

"Oooohh, Invisible INK!"

Goddamnit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's a good game. I was pretty bad at it but I was getting better about the time I stopped

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some languages have a distinction between the Moon and generic natural satellites, which I think is nice.

Middle English had “tungl” as another word for “Moon”. Some Germanic languages retain this and use it as the generic term, reserving their “Moon” cognate for the one and only natural satellite of Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

pik_d posted:

And the Suns!! Endor (the planet) is also called Tana, if that makes you feel better.
It makes me feel pretty good that I didn't know that