Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis

Bee update: it fell off the window sill and that seemed to it for the bee. However, I just came back in to find it back up on the window screen and moving much more quickly! I'm still not hopeful, though.

It's quite a large bee, too! I would try to release it outside but we're having strong breezes today, so that's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

xcheopis posted:

Bee update: it fell off the window sill and that seemed to it for the bee. However, I just came back in to find it back up on the window screen and moving much more quickly! I'm still not hopeful, though.

It's quite a large bee, too! I would try to release it outside but we're having strong breezes today, so that's out.

If it's a honeybee, it can't live long away from the hive. If it's a native bee, it'll be okay, but probably needs out.

If it's a wasp, it's an rear end in a top hat.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Bee! Why, oh bee?

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

xcheopis

It's a trier!

Yes, only the floor of the laundry room ever gets cleaned and that only when we get shouty.

xcheopis

cruft posted:

If it's a honeybee, it can't live long away from the hive. If it's a native bee, it'll be okay, but probably needs out.

If it's a wasp, it's an rear end in a top hat.

Definitely a bee. There is a small area near the front of the building that is both sunny and out of the wind, but the bee is liable to panic and try to sting the little bottle used for transport.

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

it is good of you to feed the bee and their expected fate is kinda :smith: but let me point out that you may have encountered organically one of the only situations in which it would be appropriate to exclaim, "bee, why, o bee?"

what I'm saying is, perhaps you should buy the bee an account

Hee hee!
The bee is too busy gulping up sugar water to post, though.

Manifisto

Dr. Honked posted:

Bee! Why, oh bee?

thank you

xcheopis posted:

It's a trier!

Yes, only the floor of the laundry room ever gets cleaned and that only when we get shouty.

I was gonna suggest maybe it was a carpenter bee or something, but it doesn't look like the images that come up when I google carpenter bee. carpenter bees aren't hive insects and it's not unusual to find them indoors, although that may mean they're currently munching on the building structure which can be Bad.

ty nesamdoom!

xcheopis

Manifisto posted:

thank you

I was gonna suggest maybe it was a carpenter bee or something, but it doesn't look like the images that come up when I google carpenter bee. carpenter bees aren't hive insects and it's not unusual to find them indoors, although that may mean they're currently munching on the building structure which can be Bad.

I'm wondering if it's a queen.

Finger Prince

Looks like a bumblebee

Bad Video Games

Stoner Sloth posted:

:sympathy: for you too and hope things get better for all of you (and for any other orbs having a lovely time of things)

sending positive and chill vibes to all yobbers :wom:

Thanks. It's just been a hard week during the busiest time of year.

ChubbyChecker

Finger Prince posted:

Looks like a bumblebee

this would be my guess too

cruft

It's not a honeybee. It's cute, though!

Not a queen either any type of bee with a queen would not let it go wandering around on its own.

It is a very cute bee that might be a bumblebee.

If you want to give it liquid or sugar water, put some rocks in that lid for it to crawl around on so it won't drown. 🙂

xcheopis

cruft posted:

It's not a honeybee. It's cute, though!

Not a queen either any type of bee with a queen would not let it go wandering around on its own.

It is a very cute bee that might be a bumblebee.

If you want to give it liquid or sugar water, put some rocks in that lid for it to crawl around on so it won't drown. 🙂

When I first placed the lid, the bee was heading down the screen, so all it had to do was lean forward a bit to drink. It started crawling about as it got more energy, which I felt was a good sign. I also kept adding a little water so it wouldn't have to struggle to drink. It went back to the lid several times, so I'm pretty sure it was improving a bit.
And I just know went back to check on it and it's gone! Not on the floor, nor right outside the laundry room or even dead on the outside steps. I'm choosing to think that the tiny meals helped the bee get enough energy to at least fly to a spot with some sun.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

cruft

Another BYOB success story!

Heather Papps

hello friend

bumble bees are pretty great but i have to wonder why the person that named them had to be so mean

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

"yeah i was thinking of calling it the gently caress-up bee but APPARENTLY that is rude"

BoldFrankensteinMir

Huh. From the wiki on bumblebees: "The generic name Bombus, assigned by Pierre André Latreille in 1802, is derived from the Latin word for a buzzing or humming sound, borrowed from Ancient Greek βόμβος (bómbos)"

Sig by Heather Papps

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

"yeah i was thinking of calling it the gently caress-up bee but APPARENTLY that is rude"

I propose we call paper wasps the gently caress-up bee

Heather Papps

hello friend

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Huh. From the wiki on bumblebees: "The generic name Bombus, assigned by Pierre André Latreille in 1802, is derived from the Latin word for a buzzing or humming sound, borrowed from Ancient Greek βόμβος (bómbos)"

oh neat for some reason i thought bumble bee was a weirdo bastardization of humble bee and that time had turned a compliment into an insult, but this makes good sense.

cruft posted:

I propose we call paper wasps the gently caress-up bee

i second this motion

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I suspect that bumbling as a derogatory verb likely comes from the same root.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i've been trying to figure this out for hours but google keeps showing me pictures of various insects and papers on their behaviour

BoldFrankensteinMir

It's movie nite y'all! Shorts have started and a feature is in-bound: We're watching The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
98% it's a bumblebee

cruft

TIL there is an Eastern bumblebee

I'm sure your new pal enjoyed the snack!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BYOBee: Much Ado About Buzzin'

cruft

Ms Cruft just whipped out this mind blowing fennel bindi like it was no big deal and that Indian-ish book is the best cookbook I have ever bought.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

cruft posted:

Ms Cruft just whipped out this mind blowing fennel bindi like it was no big deal and that Indian-ish book is the best cookbook I have ever bought.

poo poo dawg that rips. honkwife does similar cooking magics and i am eternally grateful

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
one of the power supplies in my synth rig just shat itself so i ordered a new rack because gently caress everything

Goons Are Gifts

did someone say bee

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Goons Are Great posted:

did someone say bee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3fLn4FYWH0

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Viginti Septem posted:

98% it's a bumblebee

Oh! That bit in the original picture that looks like it has an aardvark-face is actually the thigh-piece!

xcheopis

roomforthetuna posted:

Oh! That bit in the original picture that looks like it has an aardvark-face is actually the thigh-piece!

nooooo
That is the proboscis, with which she is drinking sugar water

Escape From Noise

I am listening to Violent Onsen Geisha and baking more cookies.

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks for all your kind posts the other day BYOB. I didn't have it in me to go any deeper but I really appreciated the replies. Yesterday sucked but I still managed to be productive. I've also made plans to go bowling with a friend tomorrow and I have work drinks with a couple of peeps on Wednesday. It's not a lot but at least it's something and today I feel a little more normal :)

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Escape From Noise

Rarity posted:

Thanks for all your kind posts the other day BYOB. I didn't have it in me to go any deeper but I really appreciated the replies. Yesterday sucked but I still managed to be productive. I've also made plans to go bowling with a friend tomorrow and I have work drinks with a couple of peeps on Wednesday. It's not a lot but at least it's something and today I feel a little more normal :)

I'm glad you're feeling better. Sometimes it's about the little steps.

sb hermit

Rarity posted:

I never got the hang of bowling. The best I could do is maybe pick up an occasional spare. I hope you knock 'em dead! Or at least have a good time!

Stoner Sloth

Rarity posted:

:glomp: ur very welcome and we love you friend :)

hope the bowling is lots of fun and you have a good time at the work drinks

Goons Are Gifts

today: pants and why they hinder you in your posting

Manifisto

Rarity posted:

glad to hear you're feeling a bit better!

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
check out this classic flake that was just vibin on my bbq