Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Hasbro's monetization of MtG knows no bounds.... I expect NFT links to MtG by the end of 2022.

Its the serpent eating its tail really.

It's what propped up Bitcoin through the initial fad phase, I fully expect it to prop up the NFT market past the fad phase if they jump in from the corporate side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Considering tcg cards are so loving fungable they have to limit how many you can play at once no NFTs are not Pokemon cards.
Pokemon cards can be used to actually pay Pokemon and are interchangeable

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/OneRadChee/status/1485230694221721600?s=20

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
You can't just recycle all the excess heat /s? Every resident of the state of Texas gets their own supercomputer to heat the house.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quarantinethepast posted:

You can't just recycle all the excess heat /s? Every resident of the state of Texas gets their own supercomputer to heat the house.

Its gonna be those adds for Solar Panels but "Let us install a Mining Center in your house and we'll heat it for free!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Proof of Entropy :supaburn:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
From the Pseudoscience thread

quote:

In essence, Kathryn found, nearly all Americans have the equivalent of a secret credit score that rates the risk of prescribing controlled substances to them. And doctors have authorities looking over their shoulders as they weigh their own responses to those scores.

But the most troubling thing, according to researchers, is simply how opaque and unaccountable these quasi-medical tools are. None of the algorithms that are widely used to guide physicians’ clinical decisions—including NarxCare—have been validated as safe and effective by peer-reviewed research. And because Appriss’ risk assessment algorithms are proprietary, there's no way to look under the hood to inspect them for errors or biases.

The ORT, however, was sometimes sharply skewed and limited by its data sources. For instance, Webster found a study showing that a history of sexual abuse in girls tripled their risk of addiction, so he duly included a question asking whether patients had experienced sexual abuse and codified it as a risk factor—for females. Why only them? Because no analogous study had been done on boys. The gender bias that this introduced into the ORT was especially odd given that two-thirds of all addictions occur in men.

HelleSpud posted:

Read the full article, there's way too much to quote here. It just gets worse.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

goddamn. this algorithm driven world we live in is the thing of sci-fi nightmares. ill informed and poorly programmed computers making choices about everyone's employment, health, wealth, and everything else.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Excuse me, I think you'll find that algorithms are without prejudice, therefore we should put all our trust in them.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tuxedo Gin posted:

goddamn. this algorithm driven world we live in is the thing of sci-fi nightmares. ill informed and poorly programmed computers making choices about everyone's employment, health, wealth, and everything else.
post contains mostly emotive and/or incendiary language. broad and unsubstantiated generalisations. recommend applying negative ranking to post and poster.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find that algorithms are without prejudice, therefore we should put all our trust in them.
post contains unemotional language. use of key terms indicates rational arguments based on logical reasoning. recommend highlighting post and increasing poster rank.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The future is calmhitler.jpg

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tuxedo Gin posted:

goddamn. this world we live in is the thing of nightmares. ill informed and poorly educated assholes making choices about everyone's employment, health, wealth, and everything else.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So do you guys listen to any podcasts that focus more on the reality of the tech world as it is and its impacts, and aren't addicted to hype about the latest toys?

Like this thread in podcast form

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

So do you guys listen to any podcasts that focus more on the reality of the tech world as it is and its impacts, and aren't addicted to hype about the latest toys?

I would but my phone is older than 6 months and I'm downloading another massive software update

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

I listen to Trashfuture for this.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hobo posted:

I listen to Trashfuture for this.

I wanna like trash Future but, I forget her name but the muslim trans girl, has said some dickish things about other queer people and...ehhh...I kind of don't wanna support her.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tech Won't Save Us is another tech skeptic podcast

*Edit* also This Machine Kills

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

people, even assholes, can be sometimes reasoned with. there is a big difference between on rear end in a top hat hiring manager with a personal prejudice and an algorithm employed by dozens or hundreds (or thousands!) of companies that has built in prejudices that gently caress over millions.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I wanna like trash Future but, I forget her name but the muslim trans girl, has said some dickish things about other queer people and...ehhh...I kind of don't wanna support her.

Yeah, Alice is a pretty horrible acephobic bigot among other things and I can't support her in any way.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

From the Pseudoscience thread

Oh yeah, a relative of mine is a victim of this bullshit. It sucks, they were open and honest with their doctor about things that had happened to them earlier in their life and now they can't get proper treatment for their chronic pain.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Oh yeah, a relative of mine is a victim of this bullshit. It sucks, they were open and honest with their doctor about things that had happened to them earlier in their life and now they can't get proper treatment for their chronic pain.

Yeah my dad has something similar happening with regards to his current cancer treatment and back surgery 25 years ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's also the issue that even people with actual addiction issues deserve safe and effective pain relief, even if they're also presently/formerly addicted to one or more drugs.

"Sorry, you struggled with something many people struggle with over the course of their lives, I guess you get to be in severe pain now! We're doing this for your own good, you see..."

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

PT6A posted:

There's also the issue that even people with actual addiction issues deserve safe and effective pain relief, even if they're also presently/formerly addicted to one or more drugs.

"Sorry, you struggled with something many people struggle with over the course of their lives, I guess you get to be in severe pain now! We're doing this for your own good, you see..."
"Don't self-medicate please, thanks"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sagacity posted:

"Don't self-medicate please, thanks"

*Refuses to vote on universal healthcare no matter what*

*invests in big Pharma, private hospitals/insurance/HMOs/etc and Inbev*

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Re: crypto and NFTs I thought this was an interesting video. Pretty long though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

e: removed timestamp.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 27, 2022

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Re: crypto and NFTs I thought this was an interesting video. Pretty long though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g&t=7496s

Already posted up-thread. It is a good video though, probably the best on the subject of NFTs.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 27, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Already posted up-thread. It is a good video though, probably the best on the subject of NFTs.

It was really good and it didn't actually feel long when I watched it. It did seem a bit geared to people who have been watching the space for a while though, does anybody have something (preferably shorter too) I could show to people who are in the gullible acceptance phase of exposure?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mischievous Mink posted:

Yeah, Alice is a pretty horrible acephobic bigot among other things and I can't support her in any way.

Oh what did she say

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
from what i remember its basically stuff where she poo-poos the idea of ace people being 'queer' or an oppressed group

e:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3944685&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post512660842 posted:

The others have already mentioned the "landlord" thing, but she also said asexual people weren't oppressed and when several ace people started sharing their stories of suffering corrective rape, she called them all liars basically. Just an absolute vile person.

this link has some other details

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 27, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
all these interchangeable podcast people with little real presentation or research skills but a burning desire not to get a day job aren't really worth defending or consuming when it inevitably comes out they have terminal online opinions and a history of saying bigoted stuff

like i'd get the whole "separate art from the artist" thing if they were a musician or author or something, but they basically just repeat the same broadly held opinions into a microphone that they blast on twitter for free anyhow

e: it reminds me of hyperlocal AM talk radio in a lot of ways

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 27, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So am I in the minority thinking that huge TV screens and the ubiquity of cell phones are directly responsible for this?

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-technology-health-business-transportation-67e41529c766edf0c2d7a2c12a377bb4

quote:

new federal data being released next week will show another increase in traffic fatalities through the third quarter of 2021. While still being finalized, the third-quarter numbers were expected to point to another sizable increase in deaths compared with the same period in 2020, adding to a half-year traffic death total of 20,160 that already was the highest half-year figure since 2006.

“Somehow it has become over the years and decades as normal, sort of the cost of doing business,” he said. “Even through a pandemic that led to considerably less driving, we continue to see more danger on our roads.”

There's no mention in this article about phone usage or a big screen TV's in every car yet I see this constantly effecting people's driving every damned day. More talk of mandatory breathalyzers even though nothing in the statistics cite impaired driving as a cause of the rise in car fatalities.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 27, 2022

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

So am I in the minority thinking that huge TV screens and the ubiquity of cell phones are directly responsible for this?

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-technology-health-business-transportation-67e41529c766edf0c2d7a2c12a377bb4

uhhh yeah?

emptier roads = less of a perception of speed = higher traffic speed = more deaths. i guess it doesn’t help that your roads are also like 100ft wide and the concept that a pedestrian might want to cross one is unthinkable to most people

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

uhhh yeah?

emptier roads = less of a perception of speed = higher traffic speed = more deaths. i guess it doesn’t help that your roads are also like 100ft wide and the concept that a pedestrian might want to cross one is unthinkable to most people

The vast majority of time I notice people driving like poo poo or swerving into another lane (or a bike lane) they're going slow. Because they are texting or playing with their CPU screen. I can spot them before I even catch up to or pass them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

much of the rise is just people returning to driving after the 2020 pandemic economic slowdown and lockdown cut Vehicle Miles Traveled, which is a metric used to look at the aggregate of how much everyone is driving

generally the causes of traffic fatalities are known - driving too fast, driving without seatbelt, impaired driving, distracted driving, and young/old people driving. these collective factors are going to scale up or down based on VMT

probably the biggest single factor increase is speeding, as there has been a large increase in street racing and reckless speeding since roads emptied out a bit due to more people working from home. at the height of the pandemic car guys in my city were meeting in all kinds of random intersections overnight to burn tires and stage races

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

this link has some other details

I do like that that a link used as proof to not listen to a podcast because the transgender muslim host has not quite correct ideas about asexuality ends with

"It's one thing to go, "hey this fun series also has a lot of problematic poo poo in it so let's have a reasonable discussion over it." But this seems way more like a Mcintosh style "This thing is evil so it should be destroyed and consumed by no one" thing. Which I can not roll my eyes hard enough over."

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I do like that that a link used as proof to not listen to a podcast because the transgender muslim host has not quite correct ideas about asexuality ends with

"It's one thing to go, "hey this fun series also has a lot of problematic poo poo in it so let's have a reasonable discussion over it." But this seems way more like a Mcintosh style "This thing is evil so it should be destroyed and consumed by no one" thing. Which I can not roll my eyes hard enough over."

are you talking about my use of the link as 'proof not to listen to this person?'

e: oh wait i literally just bothered to look at your user name

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 27, 2022

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
I don’t especially care for Alice’s contribution to Trashfuture and I don’t listen to her other podcasts, but ultimately it is a good tech skeptical podcast, and covers UK aspects occasionally, which I find helpful. I like listening to it despite her contribution, which is largely a sort of “terminally online edgy leftist who too often beats a joke into the ground while interrupting more interesting points” but isn’t present enough to fully put me off.

If people have other suggestions then please post them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah Alice has issues, but overall most of the podcasts Alice is on are good, so I don't know if Alice herself is a good reason not to listen, and most of these podcasts have sketchy characters hosting them, its almost unavoidable.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 27, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thats why I only deal with Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I'm sorry but the Liam's van bonus episode is hilarious and still something that's good for a few chuckles on how dumb we can be at times following hair brained ideas that just cost is money lmfao.