Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not financially! Plus the configs I wanted are gone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Fellow Sweet Business peeps: Has anyone heard from Exit Strategy anytime lately? His last forum post was almost a month ago (in this thread on 12/24) and mentioned that his kitty friend had passed, and... I'm honestly a little bit worried about him.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

ijyt posted:

I'm miffed that I missed my chance for the 65, but might grab the 75 instead.

Blinkz0rz posted:

You can still order the 65?

https://shop.modedesigns.com/collections/keyboards/products/sixtyfive

Says its estimated delivery is in April

ijyt posted:

The 75 is the correct choice anyway :smuggo:

Speaking of 75%ers, the Thinkpad keyboard came in today. I know "scissor keys good" is a divisive take, but I'm honestly very happy with it. It's whisper quiet, tactile as hell without being heavy and tiring, and the nice wide keys make typing easy and typos extremely rare. I think I can already feel my old shoulder and upper back pain creeping back in, but that's not this particular keyboard's fault. It's just my broken old body not wanting to bend its wide rear end inward enough to type with both hands on any traditional layout for extended periods of time. If they made a split version of this that I could spread out and move around, I'd be set forever. As it is, I suspect 'll eventually have to create a Sinc that mimics the (lack of) sound and feel as closely as I can. Maybe Kailh purples?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

ijyt posted:

So many have been sold that you can probably pick up the config you want on r/mechmarket over the next few months at cost.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Fellow Sweet Business peeps: Has anyone heard from Exit Strategy anytime lately? His last forum post was almost a month ago (in this thread on 12/24) and mentioned that his kitty friend had passed, and... I'm honestly a little bit worried about him.

Has he been active on the discord?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dunno, I'm an old man shaking my fist at clouds and don't use discord, it would make me happy if someone could confirm he is though!

mewse
May 2, 2006

There's nobody named Exit Strategy on the discord and I can't even find "Sweet Business" being discussed when I search for it

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I haven't heard anything from Exit Strategy either. Hope you're doing okay, pal.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I chatted with him on the 7th on discord private messages, he’s still working away on stuff. Has been meaning to post an update

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I had been beginning to wonder myself! I hope he's been doing well.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hope you’re ok keyboard goon.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Unsinkabear posted:

The 75 is the correct choice anyway :smuggo:

Speaking of 75%ers, the Thinkpad keyboard came in today. I know "scissor keys good" is a divisive take, but I'm honestly very happy with it. It's whisper quiet, tactile as hell without being heavy and tiring, and the nice wide keys make typing easy and typos extremely rare. I think I can already feel my old shoulder and upper back pain creeping back in, but that's not this particular keyboard's fault. It's just my broken old body not wanting to bend its wide rear end inward enough to type with both hands on any traditional layout for extended periods of time. If they made a split version of this that I could spread out and move around, I'd be set forever. As it is, I suspect 'll eventually have to create a Sinc that mimics the (lack of) sound and feel as closely as I can. Maybe Kailh purples?

I don't know if you'll get what you want with Kailh Pro Purples. It has the typical clack of regular tactile switches and wouldn't be as quiet. The bump on the Purples are pretty early in the actuation as well, not sure if that's what you're going for.

Boba U4 Silent would probably be better. Maybe 62g instead of 68 if I'm remembering how heavy those Thinkpad keyboards are.

Speaking of the Sinc, mine arrives tomorrow! Going to be the first build of the new year.

Oh, and hope all is well Exit Strategy.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Constellation I posted:

Oh, and hope all is well Exit Strategy.

Same :ohdear:

Constellation I posted:

I don't know if you'll get what you want with Kailh Pro Purples. It has the typical clack of regular tactile switches and wouldn't be as quiet. The bump on the Purples are pretty early in the actuation as well, not sure if that's what you're going for.

Boba U4 Silent would probably be better. Maybe 62g instead of 68 if I'm remembering how heavy those Thinkpad keyboards are.

Speaking of the Sinc, mine arrives tomorrow! Going to be the first build of the new year.

Ah, drat. That's good to know about the noise, thank you. I'm not sure if the early bump would be an issue or not, would need feedback from someone more experienced on that. Send like it'd be fine because I'm used to short travel keys anyway and a higher bump would give me more room afterward to hold it down lightly?

The 62g U4 Silents sound (heh) amazing, but someone posted a while back that they didn't like them for gaming as much as typing, because holding down things like WASD and shift for extended periods wore their fingers out. Is that legit, and if so is there anything lighter out there that's similarly beloved?

Good luck on your Sinc, I'm jealous!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I don't have any other switch suggestions, but I typed on Cherry MX Clear (~80g bottom out force) switches for around 3 years on my work keyboard and after long days where I was typing extensively my hands/fingers genuinely would feel fatigued. My hands never got "used to it" during that entire time using it daily so I got rid of it and moved onto lighter switches.

I can totally see someone not preferring heavy switches for gaming especially if they have to tap keys quickly with their pinky.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
in terms of weighted keys, 62g is pretty light, I doubt you'll find a ton lighter than that. Most of the force needed to push the key is also going to be lower than 62 grams, too. There are lighter ones, like 45-55g, but I think you find those almost exclusively in linears.

e: Yeah, ^^^ to the above, 80g is definitely on the heavier end of the spectrum.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Unsinkabear posted:

Same :ohdear:

Ah, drat. That's good to know about the noise, thank you. I'm not sure if the early bump would be an issue or not, would need feedback from someone more experienced on that. Send like it'd be fine because I'm used to short travel keys anyway and a higher bump would give me more room afterward to hold it down lightly?

The 62g U4 Silents sound (heh) amazing, but someone posted a while back that they didn't like them for gaming as much as typing, because holding down things like WASD and shift for extended periods wore their fingers out. Is that legit, and if so is there anything lighter out there that's similarly beloved?

Good luck on your Sinc, I'm jealous!

This is all personal preference so your mileage may vary. But here's one for the Boba U4T's for gaming:

The current board I'm primarily using has Boba U4T 68g's, they felt a lot more tactile than the Zealios 67g I use for gaming. I love it for typing but for gaming, I initially felt like left shift needed more effort initially. (especially since it's more of a pinky or ring finger key for FPS games) So I swapped in a Zealios 67g switch for the left shift for a bit. But eventually it felt silly having mismatched switches, so I swapped it back to the Boba's and got used to it eventually. Going for the 62g's might be the play to not even run into this, but it's all up to you. For all you know, you can probably still play super well with Box Navy's.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Constellation I posted:

I haven't messed with QMK's MIDI stuff but it should be possible. The LED stuff should be simpler to do. (it'll mostly be if and case statements like if layer = x, turn led A on, set rgb to these values, etc.)

I forget if the online QMK configurators still have a section where you can modify or add additional code or if it's all simplified to not have that now. If they don't, you may have to get used to building your own firmware to start (if you're interested. A good resource to get started on that is https://docs.qmk.fm/#/newbs

My suggestion is to get used to building your own firmware with the keymap that you have now. Once you're familiar, try and look through the r/olkb subreddit for examples on how they accomplished their config. Setting LED behaviour on layer changes is a frequently asked request, so there should be quite a few examples on there. Or you can hit up the goon discord and see if the good folks there can help with the config.

Buck Turgidson posted:

The midi thing is absolutely doable in firmware, but I don't think you can do it on the configurator. Here's the docs: https://docs.qmk.fm/#/feature_audio

Some boards have this feature built into their default keymap, maybe even the preonic. I know for sure that the keebio levinson's default keymap has it: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/keebio/levinson/keymaps/default/keymap.c.

Thanks for pointing me in the right directions! This sounds more involved than I'm comfortable with but I guess no harm in trying to learn something new.

.Z. posted:

Pimpmykeyboard is reprinting their semiotic set. Go make your wallet cry.
https://pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-semiotic-keyset/

The link is dead

Weeeeeeelp, I guess I'm ordering this whole set now and replacing the ones I just got. lmao Do I really need to order the whole thing in chunks? It looks like I can't just add it all to the cart at once. Also, lmao, $209 for the whole set. Here to we go baby!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

sigher posted:

Weeeeeeelp, I guess I'm ordering this whole set now and replacing the ones I just got. lmao Do I really need to order the whole thing in chunks? It looks like I can't just add it all to the cart at once. Also, lmao, $209 for the whole set. Here to we go baby!

Yeah it's standard practice for a lot of the premium keycaps sets to help accomodate the variety of layouts that exist vs. having to buy a lot of extra caps you don't need.

Also, it looks like they changed the URL so here's the updated one:
https://pimpmykeyboard.com/g20-semiotic-keyset-sublimated/

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mes posted:

I don't have any other switch suggestions, but I typed on Cherry MX Clear (~80g bottom out force) switches for around 3 years on my work keyboard and after long days where I was typing extensively my hands/fingers genuinely would feel fatigued. My hands never got "used to it" during that entire time using it daily so I got rid of it and moved onto lighter switches.

I can totally see someone not preferring heavy switches for gaming especially if they have to tap keys quickly with their pinky.

Gwaihir posted:

in terms of weighted keys, 62g is pretty light, I doubt you'll find a ton lighter than that. Most of the force needed to push the key is also going to be lower than 62 grams, too. There are lighter ones, like 45-55g, but I think you find those almost exclusively in linears.

e: Yeah, ^^^ to the above, 80g is definitely on the heavier end of the spectrum.

Constellation I posted:

This is all personal preference so your mileage may vary. But here's one for the Boba U4T's for gaming:

The current board I'm primarily using has Boba U4T 68g's, they felt a lot more tactile than the Zealios 67g I use for gaming. I love it for typing but for gaming, I initially felt like left shift needed more effort initially. (especially since it's more of a pinky or ring finger key for FPS games) So I swapped in a Zealios 67g switch for the left shift for a bit. But eventually it felt silly having mismatched switches, so I swapped it back to the Boba's and got used to it eventually. Going for the 62g's might be the play to not even run into this, but it's all up to you. For all you know, you can probably still play super well with Box Navy's.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. It's been super helpful.

Since finger fatigue + pain on chiclet keys in intense games is what got me here in the first place, I'm going to assume I'm probably not a "can game on box navies" kind of badass and skip that step. But I appreciate the vote of confidence. It sounds like I should definitely give the U4 silent 62s a shot and go from there. I haven't tried anything that heavy yet so who knows, that may turn out to be just the ticket. I'm pretty excited to find out. :)

There's no telling what options the next revision of the Sinc will come with, but the current one has both the U4 62s and barebone w/out switches as options, so I should be able to make it happen one way or another come April. (Unless some new lighter, smoother, hotter community darling comes out between now and then, that is.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Be well Exit Strategy, and take care of yourself!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I cannot stop going back to the U4T's, they are so good. I put in 54g springs from my bobagums and they are so tactile and fun to use.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
Silent Boba U4 68’s are the best typing experience I’ve ever had and would absolutely recommend them to anyone who craves a nice quiet tactile experience.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
I recently finished my nibble 65 build with alpaca switches and I love it! So much better than the cherry brown switches I had on my wasd v2. It did take me a bit to get used to how close together my hands were compared to the bigger layout.
Next up - tidbit numpad to match the nibble, also using alpacas.
After that - LCK75 build using Boba LTs and dev/tty caps.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Anyone here program their own adafruit macropad?

Running into issues where I can't tell if the macros are too long or if it's something else killing the thing's ability to use the .py files

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dr Cheesequake posted:

I recently finished my nibble 65 build with alpaca switches and I love it! So much better than the cherry brown switches I had on my wasd v2. It did take me a bit to get used to how close together my hands were compared to the bigger layout.

post pics

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ijyt posted:

I cannot stop going back to the U4T's, they are so good. I put in 54g springs from my bobagums and they are so tactile and fun to use.

Yeah u4t's are incredibly good. Really miss the ones I gave away in Garbage Truck and they weren't even lubed. I didn't feel like they needed to be and wasn't willing to give up any tactility to find out.

anywho here's a thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah u4t's are incredibly good. Really miss the ones I gave away in Garbage Truck and they weren't even lubed. I didn't feel like they needed to be and wasn't willing to give up any tactility to find out.

anywho here's a thing.

What are the bits that look like death :confused:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

anywho here's a thing.

This is real cool, and I kindly request more details

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

anywho here's a thing.

I don’t think I could ever practically use a 40% but I absolutely appreciate the design creativity that comes out of that part of the community

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

anywho here's a thing.

Needs at the very least, a number row and arrows :colbert:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

U4Ts are so good. And I haven’t found a way to really improve them by lubing them, either. They are great switches to start with if you are into tactiles, imo (and later on, too - I keep returning to them for my everyday setup)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

turn your monitor on

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

anywho here's a thing.

I find this so confusing. I wonder what the I, II, III, IV are for. The cursors are kinda unconventional but whatever ... but what is semi-colon, how do you hit enter? What are the melty parts for if not aesthetic? Also that is one big honking spacebar.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

teethgrinder posted:

I find this so confusing. I wonder what the I, II, III, IV are for. The cursors are kinda unconventional but whatever ... but what is semi-colon, how do you hit enter? What are the melty parts for if not aesthetic? Also that is one big honking spacebar.
I just had to load a new firmware which wiped the keymap so I'm not done reprogramming it in VIAL yet but...

I don't yet have anything fun on the macro column.
Spacebar is layer 1 on hold and the two bottom right modifiers are layer keys.
Backslash is enter.
Backslash on layer 1 is backslash.
Semicolon is quotes on layer 1.
Tilde / Pound is actually Tab on layer 0, caps on layer 2.
Numrow and numpads are on layer 1. Inverted numpad on the left to keep the numrow intact while reducing layers.

That top row or artisans from left to right is RGB toggle which controls the indicator LEDs.
D is the first of the group of three
N is the second of the group of three
F24 is the third of the group of three, which toggles SpOnGeBoB MoDe

I didn't have an ortho kit for the keyset (KAT Space Cadet) so this is just kinda the result of that. I don't much matter what legends are on the keycaps despite the fact that I prefer legends on my caps, and provided the row profiles are correct.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This is real cool, and I kindly request more details

Xystrum by Aternus. It's a clone of The Avenue which is a board that still hasn't delivered in groupbuy. Case files are open source and readily available on github. PCB not so much but the runner of this particular buy just designed a new one.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Death bits are artisans by Bhomass Caps.
https://keycap-archivist.com/maker/bhomass-caps/cursed-tantrum

qnqnx posted:

Needs at the very least, a number row and arrows :colbert:
It's got a numrow and two numpads all on the same layer.
WASD arrows on a different layer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I have no idea how people use 40s as daily drivers, I draw the line at needing a layer for the f-row.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I particularly enjoy the removal of extremely common and useful keys to reduce size, followed by adding said size right back in the form of an almost entirely empty and unused top panel.

This is both everything wrong with the keyboard community and also very pretty and impressive.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

SpOnGeBoB MoDe

This is somehow my favorite part of your entire build :haw:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just had to load a new firmware which wiped the keymap so I'm not done reprogramming it in VIAL yet but...

I don't yet have anything fun on the macro column.
Spacebar is layer 1 on hold and the two bottom right modifiers are layer keys.
Backslash is enter.
Backslash on layer 1 is backslash.
Semicolon is quotes on layer 1.
Tilde / Pound is actually Tab on layer 0, caps on layer 2.
Numrow and numpads are on layer 1. Inverted numpad on the left to keep the numrow intact while reducing layers.

That top row or artisans from left to right is RGB toggle which controls the indicator LEDs.
D is the first of the group of three
N is the second of the group of three
F24 is the third of the group of three, which toggles SpOnGeBoB MoDe

I didn't have an ortho kit for the keyset (KAT Space Cadet) so this is just kinda the result of that. I don't much matter what legends are on the keycaps despite the fact that I prefer legends on my caps, and provided the row profiles are correct.

Xystrum by Aternus. It's a clone of The Avenue which is a board that still hasn't delivered in groupbuy. Case files are open source and readily available on github. PCB not so much but the runner of this particular buy just designed a new one.

Death bits are artisans by Bhomass Caps.
https://keycap-archivist.com/maker/bhomass-caps/cursed-tantrum

It's got a numrow and two numpads all on the same layer.
WASD arrows on a different layer.

Layers exist and all, but personally I am not fond of dropping keys I usually need on rapid access for work into layers.
This of course, is part of the reasons I can't quite decide on a keyboard for travel. Splits keyboards too often don't have enough keys for my taste.

But yeah, thee above isn't really much for something that isn't meant for repeated usage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Unsinkabear posted:

I particularly enjoy the removal of extremely common and useful keys to reduce size, followed by adding said size right back in the form of an almost entirely empty and unused top panel.

This is both everything wrong with the keyboard community and also very pretty and impressive.

Just wait till I tell you how I program my TKL's.

qnqnx posted:

Layers exist and all, but personally I am not fond of dropping keys I usually need on rapid access for work into layers.
This of course, is part of the reasons I can't quite decide on a keyboard for travel. Splits keyboards too often don't have enough keys for my taste.

But yeah, thee above isn't really much for something that isn't meant for repeated usage.

Snarky response: yeah I also hate having to hit shift every time I want to type capital letters or symbols.

Honest response: having the spacebar(s) be a layer key on hold has been a godsend, and not having to reach for punctuation is just so nice. Also, once you realize you can put whatever you want wherever you want, you can stop having to hand check for punctuation that you rarely use because you know it's exactly where you last left it and never more than a key away from the homing row.
It's like that life hack, "when you finally find something that went missing, don't put it back where you found it, put it where you looked for it in the first place."

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just wait till I tell you how I program my TKL's.

Snarky response: yeah I also hate having to hit shift every time I want to type capital letters or symbols.

Honest response: having the spacebar(s) be a layer key on hold has been a godsend, and not having to reach for punctuation is just so nice. Also, once you realize you can put whatever you want wherever you want, you can stop having to hand check for punctuation that you rarely use because you know it's exactly where you last left it and never more than a key away from the homing row.
It's like that life hack, "when you finally find something that went missing, don't put it back where you found it, put it where you looked for it in the first place."

I program a lot for work, so I kinda do need all the punctuation and brackets somewhere more accessible than on a layer. As well as other punctuation for compose key purposes in non-English languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Dr Cheesequake posted:

The Alpacas are so good, they don't get recommended much here compared to other sites, but they are a top tier switch for sure.
Would love to see a pic of this build.