Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EorayMel posted:

What about an hour long video on Germany's Worst Handgun which was immediately obsolete when it was introduced in 1879
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQzF2QfUlno

I would like to buy this NFT. I have $100 and half a bag of UTZ Ripples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In my lifetime I've seen evangelicals claim a lot of things were The Mark of the Beast. Credit cards and bar codes are the ones that really stand out in my memory, but there have been a bunch of things that were The Mark of the Beast.

I'm kind of surprised I don't recall seeing that about crypto and NFTs, because they seem perfect for being The Mark of the Beast, but the purestrain scammery of them probably hits too close to home for the evangelicals.

It is kind of nice Twitter is letting people opt-in to having their very own Mark of the Beast, though.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In my lifetime I've seen evangelicals claim a lot of things were The Mark of the Beast. Credit cards and bar codes are the ones that really stand out in my memory, but there have been a bunch of things that were The Mark of the Beast.

I'm kind of surprised I don't recall seeing that about crypto and NFTs, because they seem perfect for being The Mark of the Beast, but the purestrain scammery of them probably hits too close to home for the evangelicals.

It is kind of nice Twitter is letting people opt-in to having their very own Mark of the Beast, though.

The Mark Karpeles of the Beast

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

CaptainSarcastic posted:

more surprised we haven't seen them get in on the grift and the vatican issuing nft indulgences

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My favorite Evangelical end times bullshit thing was how trump perfectly matched every prophesied trait of the anti-Christ, including - especially - the bit about how they would make a pretense of being Christian, but every real Christian would immediately be able to tell it was bullshit. Of course every single evangelical immediately went all in for trump.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Log082 posted:

My favorite Evangelical end times bullshit thing was how trump perfectly matched every prophesied trait of the anti-Christ, including - especially - the bit about how they would make a pretense of being Christian, but every real Christian would immediately be able to tell it was bullshit. Of course every single evangelical immediately went all in for trump.

They did a lot of fapping about King Cyrus or someone to justify their bald-faced hypocrisy.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, dictators

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1485031106982428677

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Log082 posted:

Right down the the red MAGA hat being the mark of the beast. Of course Revelations among Christian scholars is considered to be a questionable addition to biblical canon and really not considered to be in any way prophetic to current times at best outside of fringe evangelical groups (Although, unfortunately as religiosity has steeply declined in the US, the fringe evangelical groups have taken a bit of a stranglehold on "mainstream" Christianity), it is kind of interesting how the most paranoid end-times Christians completely ignore the connections between Trump and how they envision that anti-Christ's rise to power while the freak out about everything else remotely resembling their belief of the end times.

It's one of those weird quirks of how the mainstream public perceives to beliefs of evangelicals, like how it's just thought of as pretty mainstream Christian theology to support Israel and just leave it at that, when the actual belief is they support Israel existing because it is core to their belief of the end times which involves Jesus returning to physically destroy Israel, smite almost every Jewish person on earth and drat them to hell.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
maybe they did realize trump fit as the antichrist, but they didn't care because they want the end times to happen so they can be whisked off to heaven in the rapture

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

Right down the the red MAGA hat being the mark of the beast. Of course Revelations among Christian scholars is considered to be a questionable addition to biblical canon and really not considered to be in any way prophetic to current times at best outside of fringe evangelical groups (Although, unfortunately as religiosity has steeply declined in the US, the fringe evangelical groups have taken a bit of a stranglehold on "mainstream" Christianity), it is kind of interesting how the most paranoid end-times Christians completely ignore the connections between Trump and how they envision that anti-Christ's rise to power while the freak out about everything else remotely resembling their belief of the end times.

It's one of those weird quirks of how the mainstream public perceives to beliefs of evangelicals, like how it's just thought of as pretty mainstream Christian theology to support Israel and just leave it at that, when the actual belief is they support Israel existing because it is core to their belief of the end times which involves Jesus returning to physically destroy Israel, smite almost every Jewish person on earth and drat them to hell.

Lots of words and nothing to say. Welcome Three Olives

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hbag posted:

lol & lmao if you genuinely didnt know tether was backed by "trust me bro"

As I understand it tether is backed 1:1 by 'commercial paper', in the form of 'stablecoins', which are known to be worth a stable US$1 each because they are backed by Tether.
Which is to say, each and every Tether token is backed by and worth a Tether token!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

but the purestrain scammery of them probably hits too close to home for the evangelicals.

I think this here is the bingo.

Additionally, I'm not sure most fundies know enough about Technolergy to even be aware of crypto as a concept

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

mkvltra posted:

I think this here is the bingo.

Additionally, I'm not sure most fundies know enough about Technolergy to even be aware of crypto as a concept

can you tell me about technolergy?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

He will not have a good death

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but what if he saves himself as an nft ?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

I would right click save

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

then he will become immortal as the blockchain

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I saw the Dan Olson video and it's pretty impressive. What's his background? Finance? Tech? Philosophy?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

small butter posted:

I saw the Dan Olson video and it's pretty impressive. What's his background? Finance? Tech? Philosophy?

He works in the Canadian film industry. And apperently he had a lot of free time on his hands.

Most of his stuff is really good, on a bunch of subjects. His last BIG video on this scale is on flat earthers, and a followup on a geocentric documentary he found that somehow got Captain Janeway to narrate it.

EDIT:

In Search of a Flat Earth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

That Time Geocentrists Tricked A Bunch of Physicists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icwDF8wRgF4

If I had one complaint about his NFT video, it's that it's mainly him talking into the camera. Previous videos he got very creative with what he did, especially since it looks like he went to New York.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just finished up that Dan Olson video and it is impressive, and even goes into stuff I did not know about NFTs, in that it can actually contain executable code, which turns out to be exactly as terrible as it sounds.

Of course, said executable code payload is also how NFTs were supposed to generate royalties which was a selling point but LOL if most people thought to implement that, apparently.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
honestly ill watch any video that has voiceover from hbomberguy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Fun fact Olson was also a goon, but please don’t hold that against him :haw: I dunno if he has posted in some time.

I originally started following his stuff from movie and film critiques that were quite well reasoned out and his stuff has grown considerably over the years in scope and ambition. Definitely one of the video essayist type people I will watch on whatever topic he does something on, much like hbomberguy.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

All of his long form videos after "The Art of Editing and Suicide Squad" are great and you should watch them all even if you don't have much interest in the subject. I thought him subjecting himself to watching Gemini Man 3 times was pretty funny and the Nostalgia Critic and The Wall was a pretty good one too even though I don't know who The Nostalgia Critic is.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
https://twitter.com/RobKapito/status/1485043859344310273?s=20
The President of Blackrock, amazingly hopes his customers can also partake in the massive grift. I didn't realize Blackrock catered to stupid customers, but guess it's nice that Blackrock is not judgemental.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrPossum posted:

more surprised we haven't seen them get in on the grift and the vatican issuing nft indulgences

What happens if you resell one? Do you get your sins back and the new guy gets his sins forgiven? Or do you sins stay forgiven, but you inherit the new buyers sins?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The place I used to have my retirement savings announced a crypto trading exchange and it was the catalyst to get me to move away from their platform. It really seems like any serious financial people getting into crypto is a huge red flag.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

The place I used to have my retirement savings announced a crypto trading exchange and it was the catalyst to get me to move away from their platform. It really seems like any serious financial people getting into crypto is a huge red flag.

get ready to work til you die like the rest of us plebs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

nnnotime posted:

https://twitter.com/RobKapito/status/1485043859344310273?s=20
The President of Blackrock, amazingly hopes his customers can also partake in the massive grift. I didn't realize Blackrock catered to stupid customers, but guess it's nice that Blackrock is not judgemental.

In the replies "verified" hexagon apes are accusing this of being a fake account, created today, new wallet also created today? Everything is so dumb I don't know how many layers I'm peering through

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Great, thanks!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Salt Fish posted:

In the replies "verified" hexagon apes are accusing this of being a fake account, created today, new wallet also created today? Everything is so dumb I don't know how many layers I'm peering through
Yeah, just saw it was suspicious the account was created a couple of days ago and not yet verified. Could be fake.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Salt Fish posted:

Wait, so the NFTers are mad that some fake NFTer is hyping NFTs?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I watched a bit more of the Dan Olsen video up to the Bitcoin chapter, and I do appreciate his thoroughness. His explanation of 2008 was a bit simplified, though, and either he could've expanded it a little or cut it way down. What he said wasn't untrue, but he neglected to mention the complicity of the Federal system in deliberately encouraging the modern mortgage industry to emerge via Fannie Mae and similar programs. The government looked at studies showing that homeowners spent more than renters, which increased the velocity of money in the economy. Banks were hesitant to issue mortgages due to the large capital outlay involved, so the government set up programs that would let banks issue mortgages, then transfer the mortgage to the government and get their initial money back so they could turn around and lend it out again. When the banks started on the road to the subprime lending collapse the Feds were providing the firehose of money to flood it, and still are, as far as I know.

Source: Working for a mortgage servicing company around 2010.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Wow when you think about it the banks were the real victims

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I watched a bit more of the Dan Olsen video up to the Bitcoin chapter, and I do appreciate his thoroughness. His explanation of 2008 was a bit simplified, though, and either he could've expanded it a little or cut it way down. What he said wasn't untrue, but he neglected to mention the complicity of the Federal system in deliberately encouraging the modern mortgage industry to emerge via Fannie Mae and similar programs. The government looked at studies showing that homeowners spent more than renters, which increased the velocity of money in the economy. Banks were hesitant to issue mortgages due to the large capital outlay involved, so the government set up programs that would let banks issue mortgages, then transfer the mortgage to the government and get their initial money back so they could turn around and lend it out again. When the banks started on the road to the subprime lending collapse the Feds were providing the firehose of money to flood it, and still are, as far as I know.

Source: Working for a mortgage servicing company around 2010.

He at least touches on the idea in the followup to the explainer, about how anarcho-capitalists and hyper-capitalists formed, where he mentions that the regulations themselves set up in-groups for the whole scam. It's not great, but it's there and on-par with the depth of entire explainer.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

priznat posted:

Fun fact Olson was also a goon, but please don’t hold that against him :haw: I dunno if he has posted in some time.

I originally started following his stuff from movie and film critiques that were quite well reasoned out and his stuff has grown considerably over the years in scope and ambition. Definitely one of the video essayist type people I will watch on whatever topic he does something on, much like hbomberguy.

He quoted somebody who posts here pretty regularly - the author of Attack of the Fifty Foot Blockchain

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scam Likely posted:

He at least touches on the idea in the followup to the explainer, about how anarcho-capitalists and hyper-capitalists formed, where he mentions that the regulations themselves set up in-groups for the whole scam. It's not great, but it's there and on-par with the depth of entire explainer.

It's a minor criticism, mostly based on the fact I know far more about the mortgage industry than I ever wanted to. And having watched neoliberal economics metastasize over the course of my lifetime, with crypto and NFTs erupting like fruiting bodies off the cancerous growths.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

ymgve posted:

because they want the end times to happen so they can be whisked off to heaven in the rapture

cant speak for american politics but this is what ISIS unironically believes and thats not a very good brand to imitate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Doomtrain posted:

https://twitter.com/USPS/status/1484608499120316422/
Everybody reacting negatively to the news but they don't realize they already dipped their toes in them months ago.

I try to be positive about the post office but why are they doing this nonsense but perpetually only having one person working when I’m trying to mail something :fireman:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's a minor criticism, mostly based on the fact I know far more about the mortgage industry than I ever wanted to. And having watched neoliberal economics metastasize over the course of my lifetime, with crypto and NFTs erupting like fruiting bodies off the cancerous growths.

One of my favorite tidbits from 2008 was Washington Mutual approving nearly any mortgage, including a guy who gave them a photo of himself standing next to a pickup truck that was the only support for his claim to be running a successful landscaping business and he was approved no problem.