Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Hadlock posted:

Talked my wife into a Z8 as a daily driver

Am I a bad person

Or just living the dream

Poll to follow

Not at all, it sounds wonderfully A E S T H E T I C

Please post pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Am I a bad person

Or just living the dream

Poll to follow

A Z8? As a daily driver? For your wife? Shine on you crazy diamond.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Daily driving a z8 in SF is even more wild. Nothing but respect to you for pulling that off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i know way too much about Hadlock's life based on posts; pretty sure their family is moving to Wilmington, NC

AI/BFC crossoverWAGON krew represent

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i know way too much about Hadlock's life based on posts; pretty sure their family is moving to Wilmington, NC

We should get a gang tag.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

WELP that matches with remote positions at company post I saw. I clearly only follow the *wrong* non AI threads they post in!

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

M2s are cool cars but they don't weigh a whole lot less than the F8X M3/4. You are basically only getting a smaller wheelbase. That being said I'd love to drive a M2 CS

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

M2s are cool cars but they don't weigh a whole lot less than the F8X M3/4. You are basically only getting a smaller wheelbase. That being said I'd love to drive a M2 CS

I'm pretty sure the M2C actually weighs more than my F80.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-535i-xdrive-sport-wagon-2/

Another reminder that one of the best purchases I ever made was buying a new wagon in August of 2020.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-535i-xdrive-sport-wagon-2/

Another reminder that one of the best purchases I ever made was buying a new wagon in August of 2020.
That's not a horrific price, it's high but I was expecting much worse

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Don't dox me

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That's not a horrific price, it's high but I was expecting much worse

On the one hand, you're right, looking at recent BAT auctions that seems pretty much on par.

On the other hand, lol gently caress that I'm not going to normalize paying $30k for a run of the mill, 12 year old luxury wagon in my mind.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

On the one hand, you're right, looking at recent BAT auctions that seems pretty much on par.

On the other hand, lol gently caress that I'm not going to normalize paying $30k for a run of the mill, 12 year old luxury wagon in my mind.

Basically wagons by definition are not run of the mill with how few they ever sell here. If it were a manual it would be even more ridiculous money!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Basically wagons by definition are not run of the mill with how few they ever sell here. If it were a manual it would be even more ridiculous money!

That sounds like a guy propping up his future auction! :D

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Alarbus posted:

That sounds like a guy propping up his future auction! :D

Lmao there is no way they can appreciate enough yo offset how much money I am lighting on fire with mine

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hadlock posted:

Am I a bad person
Or just living the dream
Poll to follow
:yeshaha:

TheBacon posted:

Lmao there is no way they can appreciate enough yo offset how much money I am lighting on fire with mine
Good to see you're properly enjoying the BMW experience.

Rolled the E30 out of storage position, drained the old gas then refilled with fresh and it fired right up. Gave each injector a couple taps and it settled into a nice smooth, as smooth as a S14 can be, idle. Guy is coming to look at it Thursday.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I looked at the price of the Z8 after making that post, was approximately 100% higher than I had expected

Looking into this still, looking like a 2023 decision, something else popped up in the last week demanding my lotto winnings

In other news bmw dealer wanted $950 to replace the 6 spark plugs on my car, not injectors or cables, only the plugs; bought the 14mm or whatever thin wall socket on amazon, doing it myself because gently caress pouring $800 down the drain, I will pay a lot of money for some things but that's just outrageous

Paid them through the nose to do all the fluids though, my dad made me drain too much oil on the cold garage floor as a child, can't do it anymore, loving gets everywhere, have to draw the line somewhere

Dealership hosed up my rim driving it onto the lift, they're gonna "refinish" it, whatever the gently caress that means

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

NitroSpazzz posted:

Rolled the E30 out of storage position, drained the old gas then refilled with fresh and it fired right up. Gave each injector a couple taps and it settled into a nice smooth, as smooth as a S14 can be, idle.

Owns

NitroSpazzz posted:

Guy is coming to look at it Thursday.

Does not own

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I looked at the price of the Z8 after making that post, was approximately 100% higher than I had expected

Looking into this still, looking like a 2023 decision, something else popped up in the last week demanding my lotto winnings

In other news bmw dealer wanted $950 to replace the 6 spark plugs on my car, not injectors or cables, only the plugs; bought the 14mm or whatever thin wall socket on amazon, doing it myself because gently caress pouring $800 down the drain, I will pay a lot of money for some things but that's just outrageous

Paid them through the nose to do all the fluids though, my dad made me drain too much oil on the cold garage floor as a child, can't do it anymore, loving gets everywhere, have to draw the line somewhere

Dealership hosed up my rim driving it onto the lift, they're gonna "refinish" it, whatever the gently caress that means

at least on the S65 just getting to the plugs is like an hour and a half of work, maybe two

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Why would you do this stuff at the dealer?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at least on the S65 just getting to the plugs is like an hour and a half of work, maybe two

Same on the S55. You have to pull off a ton of stuff to get to them.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

N55 as well. And I had to do it twice because one of the coils wasn't seated perfectly. Getting to the one all the way near the firewall was such a pain in the rear end. There was a screw that was a awful too because of it's location.

At least when I changed my valve cover gasket I already knew what I was in for and was able to get it to that stage like 20x faster.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the good news with the S65 is that the firewall/cowl clearance isn't such a pain in the rear end, so once you get everything out of the way it's pretty straight up.

the bad news is that you have the entire intake plenum and ITBs perched atop the engine that all need to come off in addition to the usual coils and injectors

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the good news with the S65 is that the firewall/cowl clearance isn't such a pain in the rear end, so once you get everything out of the way it's pretty straight up.

the bad news is that you have the entire intake plenum and ITBs perched atop the engine that all need to come off in addition to the usual coils and injectors

I thought you had an S62 not S65? But I am also realizing they might be very closely related, I had thought S65 was based on the S85 though in terms of design.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I had planned to do my plugs this weekend and I'm still doing that. Don't have to look at the back of the car, so that's nice.

Dirty engine bay with everything still attached:

Finally ready to hit the plugs:

And here's the main part of the strut brace you can't see since it's under covers and stuff:

Gonna do some BMC drop in filters while everything is apart as well since you have to pull the carbon part of the strut brace off to get to them anyway.

There are the pics from when I did mine. If you didn't have to remove the hidden part of the strut brace it wouldn't be as bad.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Someone do the needful and create a brown manual wagon gangtag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheBacon posted:

I thought you had an S62 not S65? But I am also realizing they might be very closely related, I had thought S65 was based on the S85 though in terms of design.

lol yes, that is true, i have made typos. S62

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ThirstyBuck posted:

I need this real bad, someone do it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol yes, that is true, i have made typos. S62

Lmao well what’s the difference between one temperamental high strung BMW V8 and another really?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

fknlo posted:

There are the pics from when I did mine. If you didn't have to remove the hidden part of the strut brace it wouldn't be as bad.

Turbo life.

Here is the N52 during a VCG replacement.

And some shameless wagon whoring.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 25, 2022

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Plug/coil change on the E90 was pretty easy, I thought. I don't recall the F30 N55 being bad, but I'm due for it soon, so once it's warm(er) again I'll find out. I really don't remember removing the strut bar, just using a wobble or two. Maybe I'm hallucinating?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

ThirstyBuck posted:

Butbutbut, mine isn't brown. :ohdear:

I have yet to dive into the e91s engine bay, but after a while I could get to the coils on my N54 e61 in about 5 minutes.

E:

ThirstyBuck posted:

Here is the N52 during a VCG replacement.

Whoa whoa whoa, time the gently caress out, do you need to remove the wipers, cowl and strut tower brace to get at the VCG on e9x n52s? Because holy poo poo, that changes my ambitions a bit.

E2: my e91 is the first manual car I've ever had that doesn't cancel the cruise control when the clutch goes in. Is that a bug or a feature? Because it's killing me- there's a part of my commuter where the road drops from a 45mph section to a 30mph and my other cars would just cancel CC at the downshift.

This one? Newp, just holds the speed, and now it's in a lower gear, so even more aggressively.

glyph fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 26, 2022

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I mean, you’ve needed to remove the cowl to do plugs since the e46, poo poo, did I have to on the 36s’ too?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

glyph posted:

Butbutbut, mine isn't brown. :ohdear:

Whoa whoa whoa, time the gently caress out, do you need to remove the wipers, cowl and strut tower brace to get at the VCG on e9x n52s? Because holy poo poo, that changes my ambitions a bit.

I don’t think anyone here has a brown manual wagon.

The VCG on the N52 is a PITA. The manual nor most websites do not tell you that you need to glue glue glue the gasket to the cover or you will never get it on.

It eventually will look like this. Also you should probably just replace the entire the entire cover ($400!) because the PCV valve is integrated.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

ThirstyBuck posted:

I don’t think anyone here has a brown manual wagon.

The VCG on the N52 is a PITA. The manual nor most websites do not tell you that you need to glue glue glue the gasket to the cover or you will never get it on.

It eventually will look like this. Also you should probably just replace the entire the entire cover ($400!) because the PCV valve is integrated.

So the cowl gets to stay, but the strut brace comes off. Better than I'd thought, but JFC.

Mercifully, I have a metal valve cover and a remote PCV (and it's been done- I have records for this 325xi with 95k to date), but yeesh.

Can you weigh in on the cruise control thing? I've never had a manual bmw before this, it strikes me as odd that it doesn't cancel when the clutch pedal hits the firewall.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Oops the new BMW electrics already outperform their ICE counterparts

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/01/23/bmw-i4-m50-drag-race-m3-xdrive/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

glyph posted:

Can you weigh in on the cruise control thing? I've never had a manual bmw before this, it strikes me as odd that it doesn't cancel when the clutch pedal hits the firewall.

I can test mine if you just want to know if it’s an all of them thing or just yours

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

glyph posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think I've ever used the cruise control in a manual car, TBH.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

KillHour posted:

I use it all the time. :shrug: I drive down a lakeside boulevard that’s well patrolled, and looks faster than the speed limit daily. Cruise keeps me more honest than if I’d left it to my right foot alone.

TheBacon posted:

I can test mine if you just want to know if it’s an all of them thing or just yours

At this point, I’m pretty sure this is a feature, but good lookin’ out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KillHour posted:

There are a lot of small towns around me that are tied to some amazing backroads with a speed limit of 55, I pretty much have to use my cruise control or I get a ticket.