Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Gavok posted:

While the last two games are kind of garbage to watch simmed, it was worth it due to both having iron man winners.

For as poo poo as Thunder is, there was actually a bit of drama at the end of the match too. Royal Rumble's snag I guess was that early AI really doesn't know how to react to one another. Because who would ever watch a video game?

And do any other wrestling game's OTTR battle royales let you leave the ring without being eliminated? Typically it's because it'd be very cheesable in gameplay, but I'm surprised the 2K games don't even have it as an option given how many shenanigans the WWE pulls with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

NameHurtBrain posted:

For as poo poo as Thunder is, there was actually a bit of drama at the end of the match too. Royal Rumble's snag I guess was that early AI really doesn't know how to react to one another. Because who would ever watch a video game?

And do any other wrestling game's OTTR battle royales let you leave the ring without being eliminated? Typically it's because it'd be very cheesable in gameplay, but I'm surprised the 2K games don't even have it as an option given how many shenanigans the WWE pulls with it.

I'm not sure why the 2k games don't do this but I can only assume the engine is literally incapable of processing having characters leave the ring but not be eliminated

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I can't want to see the misery people create trying to out-camera-cut Kevin Dunn in the game. This is gonna loving rule.

It's finally time for the third-party controllers with turbo functions to shine!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Legends of Wrestling 2 was funny at times, but going sometimes 13 minutes without eliminations isn't too great.

Highlight (10:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVaO0BPgN08&t=600s

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 23, 2022

Crooow!
Dec 7, 2005

Abortions for some, tiny American flags for others!

Kennel posted:

Legends of Wrestling 2 was funny at times, but going sometimes 13 minutes without eliminations isn't too great.

Highlight (10:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVaO0BPgN08&t=600s

What, no David Von Erich eliminating himself?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pretty insane lineup so far with not a whole lot of massive names that always loving win these things.

01. Eddie Guerrero (Day of Reckoning)
02. The Brian Kendrick (WWE 2K18)
03. Spike Dudley (Smackdown:Shut Your Mouth!)
04. Kamala (Legends of Wrestlemania)
05. Viscera (Smackdown 2: Know your Role!)
06. Edge (Smackdown:Just Bring it!)
07. Sean O'Haire (Smackdown:Here comes the Pain)
08. Shawn Michaels (WWE 2K20)
09. Terry Funk (Wrestling Revolution 2D)
10. Kurt Angle (Smackdown vs Raw 2006)
11. Jinder Mahal (WWE 2K14)
12. Big Show (Wrestling Mmpire Remix)
13. Rhino (ECW Hardcore Revolution)
14. John Cena (Smackdown vs Raw 2009)
15. Kofi Kingston (WWE 2K16)
16. Tomohiro Ishii (Fire Pro Wrestling World)
17. Bubba Ray Dudley (WWF Smackdown!)
18. Jim Ross (Smackdown vs Raw 2007)
19. Jack Swagger (Smackdown vs Raw 2011)
20. Mr Perfect (WWF Royal Rumble)
21. Dean Malenko (WCW Thunder)
22. Grand Wizard (Legends of Wrestling)

And then our options tomorrow are

Booker T
Chavo Guerrero
Chris Benoit
Chris Jericho
Christian
Eddie Guerrero
Edge
John Cena
Kane
Kurt Angle
Randy Orton
Rey Mysterio
Rob Van Dam
Shawn Michaels
Triple H
Undertaker

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I hope Jim Ross goes all the way from number 1

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Eat My Fuc posted:

I hope Jim Ross goes all the way from number 1

The time has arrived

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

30 men will enter MY rear end

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://twitter.com/malcolmvelli/status/1485299278297903104?s=21

Who knew Malcolm is funny? Probably not people watch the product

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Stokely Hathaway has a rep as a comedic figure, yes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tomorrow's Rumblethon match is Retromania, so there's a non-zero chance that War Horse wins the Royalest of Rumbles.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

https://twitter.com/malcolmvelli/status/1485299278297903104?s=21

Who knew Malcolm is funny? Probably not people watch the product

This reminds me of the early Smackdown games where you'd have to like, wander around backstage and talk to people and sometimes you'd get a sidequest where you have to fight the Undertaker or D-Von Dudley would scam you into giving him money to rebuild a church or whatever.

All of which was 10 times better than the story modes in the 2K Games. Or even most of the Smackdown vs RAW games honestly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Raw is still the best where you could drop heavy objects on people backstage

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Drakkel posted:

This reminds me of the early Smackdown games where you'd have to like, wander around backstage and talk to people and sometimes you'd get a sidequest where you have to fight the Undertaker or D-Von Dudley would scam you into giving him money to rebuild a church or whatever.

All of which was 10 times better than the story modes in the 2K Games. Or even most of the Smackdown vs RAW games honestly.

In Here Comes the Pain I liked to start a season with a fresh CAW with no real stats and immediately antagonize Brock Lesnar backstage. He wasn't even unlockable, he was just there and I decided it would be a good idea to die immediately.

I was pretty stubborn about it too because I didn't like Brock Lesnar so I tried over and over.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

IGgy IGsen posted:

In Here Comes the Pain I liked to start a season with a fresh CAW with no real stats and immediately antagonize Brock Lesnar backstage. He wasn't even unlockable, he was just there and I decided it would be a good idea to die immediately.

I was pretty stubborn about it too because I didn't like Brock Lesnar so I tried over and over.

HCTP was great because if you were too badly outclassed, you could just set up a table in the corner and throw yourself into it over and over and if you timed it right, the opponent would accidentally grapple you and slingshot you through the table and you'd get a DQ win.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

None of that matters if you're backstage and Brock is in a forklift.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 24, 2022

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

IGgy IGsen posted:

None of that matters is if you're backtage and Brock is in a forklift.

Timeless wisdom.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

IGgy IGsen posted:

OLE!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

If you actually want a suggestion on winning that, go to the big backstage area with the caged part, climb that, and spam irish whips and boots to the gut to throw him off. Huge damage with every fall, and only a couple points where he can counter you if you're quick.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

This all has me thinking about the kind of story modes wrestling games usually have...

You got the classic Season mode where you pick a character and it basically sims cards week to week with some storylines thrown in that you may or may not get to be in. it's often really fun just to see what wild poo poo the game throws at you as it tries to generate some semblance of a story, but the downside is sometimes the RNG screws you over. I once had a Smackdown 2 save where I was the no 1 contender for the world title for like 3 straight years and never got a single title match.

You got the No Mercy style where every title/division has a big branch choose-your-own-adventure style story which was also pretty cool as it actually encouraged you to not just win every match to see what might happen. Cool stuff, but some of the stories were pretty weird/badly translated and there's not much room for wild random stuff to happen cause all the stories are pre-written.

Then we have the Smackdown vs Raw era where most of the stories were your character goes through some of the worst early 2000's hokey storylines possible and then suddenly you're a main eventer. I swear one of them you spent the first like 4 hours of the story mode fighting dudes over who owns every single woman in the company one by one. Or the one where the story mode is basically an extended Who Murdered Teddy Long mystery.

Then we get to the 2K games where they tried to emulate the week-by-week career simulation thing that you'd see in other sports games and the end result was you have to wrestle the same randomly generated CAWs 150 times in a row before you get a cutscene.

THEN we have the 2k19/2k20 style career mode which felt more like a parody of a wrestling game than an actual career. They try SO HARD to be zany and funny and fail miserably, which to be fair is at least accurate to the real WWE product.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

THEN we have the 2k19/2k20 style career mode which felt more like a parody of a wrestling game than an actual career. They try SO HARD to be zany and funny and fail miserably, which to be fair is at least accurate to the real WWE product.

those story modes were a really good display of what the wwe thinks of their audience and the wrestlers who want to be in the wwe

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

those story modes were a really good display of what the wwe thinks of their audience and the wrestlers who want to be in the wwe

The saddest thing is they give you the option of choices, but your choices don't actually affect anything.

So in that way, it was probably closest to the real life WWE experience

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s cool buzz returned in the second game. It’s also funny that the first match of the new game is a dream sequence where the announcers make fun of you for having a rich inner life

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Isn't The Rock president or something in 2k20?
I never played it but I could swear there was something like that.

If true it's certainly a better choice than Kane.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

The Rock Elected President, Immediately Changes National Anthem To His Verse In Tech N9ne's "Face Off"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alaois posted:

Those stories modes were 100% the reason I :filez: those games. Because the games themselves are frustrating garbage but at least the Super loving dumb story modes ventured into "so bad they are entertaining" territory. Like when Barron Blade becomes a recurring character across multiple games I popped because it was so stupid.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Samoa Joe's robot arm is the one redeeming thing about 2k20

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I wish the execution of the 2K20 DLC was better. Having weird and wacky scenarios that the wrestlers are in is great idea in theory but it didn't click for me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Testekill posted:

I wish the execution of the 2K20 DLC was better. Having weird and wacky scenarios that the wrestlers are in is great idea in theory but it didn't click for me.

I think if the game had actually been playable and not a giant mess of glitches and garbage the DLC would have been a blast. The graveyard and the swamp stages were both cool as hell and exactly the kind of dumb poo poo I want in my wrestling games.

Pitty everything else around the goofy dlcs was such a gigantic loving mess.

And I say that as someone who has bought these games every year since Smackdown 2. 2K20 was the first time in years I played one of these games for less than an hour and then uninstalled.

Even though I bought the deluxe edition for like $15 I still felt like I paid too much.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The funky dlcs are brought down by every mission having a bunch of random goals (do a stomp in the corner!)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the story mode of 2k20 is absolutely psychotic and one of the funniest sports campaign modes I've ever watched

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the story mode of 2k20 is absolutely psychotic and one of the funniest sports campaign modes I've ever watched

Livin Da Dream is as crazy. Spike Lee is more up his own rear end than David Cage.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

frequency vibrations

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shard posted:

Livin Da Dream is as crazy. Spike Lee is more up his own rear end than David Cage.

Livin Da Dream rules

After the first act virtual ps3 Spike Lee comes on screen holding a legal pad to directly tell you how good the game is but is interrupted by a ghost

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've never seen a story try to tell me that the bad character was actually good and in fact I was bad for finding his despicable actions deplorable.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shard posted:

I've never seen a story try to tell me that the bad character was actually good and in fact I was bad for finding his despicable actions deplorable.

I'm sure there are more but Livin Da Dream was on a whole other level

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Which WWE star is the biggest FoF (Friend of Freq)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing that struck me about 2k20's story mode- apart, from, you know, everything being awful- is how little control it actually affords you over your CAWs. They have set nicknames that everyone uses because they wanted everything fully voiced, so you're "Red" and "Tre" no matter what. Your backstory's set, you're two idiot wrestling fans who got picked on in high school, there's no deciding any of the fun stuff because it would cost too much to have the story be that flexible.

Like it works in the NBA games because the story of most basketball players is "played a lot in high school, got an athletic scholarship, was lucky enough to be picked up by the pros" and most viewers don't care beyond that.

And yeah exactly when did the devs decide to make the optional "stomp your opponent in the corner at medium health" things from 2k14 mandatory for match progression? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments/3mkw9e/livin_da_dream_more_like_livin_da_nightmare/ like the third result when I looked up the game mode.