Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sagebrush posted:

The description posted:

The landlord, a very problematic, very cheap, Persian female, calls in a self-appointed Hispanic plumber named Wilmer. Wilmer is the kind of cheap labor that cuts corners to try and save money.
And it goes on like that. Big yike

Also the description posted:

Last, I am not a tenant here, but I am friends with these folks. They are good people. After the flood, they relocated to a much newer apartment complex that is owned and run by a trustworthy landlord. .

Huh, I wonder why the person who posted this video didn't mention the race of all of the people they think positively of.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

One of the benefits of growing up surrounded by Scottish people. #blessed

As a filthy American I have little to no first hand experience with Scottish accents. I used to wait tables in the French quarter in New Orleans and got a Scottish couple with a super strong accent. It was barely intelligible to me. I was able to eventually parse their words after a moment, but it was striking how alien and removed it is in a dialectical sense. Once I knew what to listen for I could mostly figure out or infer what they said. It's drat near a different language. It's super interesting.

Edit: content

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Sagebrush posted:

The description of that video is real :chloe:

And it goes on like that. Big yike

With 5 million views and only 50k likes, I think I can extrapolate the dislikes despite them being hidden.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

namlosh posted:

So, I get that it’s crazy unsafe, how should this have been done? Hole drilled through? Pipes routed a different way?

I don’t know how to build a house… yet :)

Generally the way you do it if you're not a complete and utter psychopath is that any given pipe goes directly down from the location where it comes out through the wall, and then the horizontal part is in the floor or along the basement ceiling(if there is a basement).

Aside from saving you from bullshit like what we see there, it also means that you always know where in the walls drainage and water pipes are, and thus the odds of you whamming some of them with a nail or a screw while putting something else up are next to zero.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PurpleXVI posted:

Generally the way you do it if you're not a complete and utter psychopath is that any given pipe goes directly down from the location where it comes out through the wall, and then the horizontal part is in the floor or along the basement ceiling(if there is a basement).

That plumber has two sides: nicest angle you will ever meet and twisted loving psychopath.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Aside from saving you from bullshit like what we see there, it also means that you always know where in the walls drainage and water pipes are, and thus the odds of you whamming some of them with a nail or a screw while putting something else up are next to zero.

What would have really made it :discourse: was if the drain was flexible tubing instead of rigid pipe.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

Mute this before playing, it's obnoxious as poo poo. But seriously, is there any way for a home inspector to detect this kind of bullshit after the drywall is up or would you have to pray an inspector came to the site early enough to catch it?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7055736365870402862

How deep did they sink the bathtub into the floor?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

No way to detect it until the wall falls down. That’s why hone inspectors are mostly trash. Which is why all the famous home remodel shows on HGTV have to gut the whole home to get it up to code. Most home flippers put some new paint up and cover up the bullshit as much as possible for as little as possible to sell it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

moonmazed posted:

a goose bit my mom on the rear end once

So humans aren't the only species to eat rear end?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
a goose motor boated my titties once but it was a domestic goose so idk if thats standard goose behavior or just this one freak.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Nooope

https://i.imgur.com/U5uvSsn.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Re gooses being assholes:

Just about every time the subject of geese being assholes comes up, I quote myself because gently caress geese:

wesleywillis posted:

I was going to post this in the Cursed images thread, but then I was kinda like "gently caress geese I hate them fuckers". In other words, I don't find this to be cursed.

Thats Niagara Falls

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

namlosh posted:

So, I get that it’s crazy unsafe, how should this have been done? Hole drilled through? Pipes routed a different way?

I don’t know how to build a house… yet :)

Imagine you take a big ol nasty dump and flush. Then it has to travel 14 feet horizontal before leaving the house. Destroying the load bearing studs is dumb enough but that plumbing layout makes no sense.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

You can FEEL the heat from here holy poo poo.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Are you absolutely sure these are Canada geese because no one has ever described a Canada goose as "that poor thing". More like "that rear end in a top hat bundle of feathers that attacked me for no reason" or "that demon bird constantly spewing poop".

my state borders canada, if there was another kind of migratory brown goose that flies in big Vs and shits everywhere I'm sure I would know the difference, but we call these geese canadian and other than making GBS threads everywhere they're very docile and quiet

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

wesleywillis posted:

Re gooses being assholes:

Just about every time the subject of geese being assholes comes up, I quote myself because gently caress geese:

I'm in loving tears.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BasicLich posted:

my state borders canada, if there was another kind of migratory brown goose that flies in big Vs and shits everywhere I'm sure I would know the difference, but we call these geese canadian and other than making GBS threads everywhere they're very docile and quiet

Its because they know ALL AMERICANS CARRY GUNS.
In Canada, very few people besides the cops are actually allowed to pack heat in their day to day lives, so we can't just go around shooting things like geese and people like Americans can.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
Well I can't argue with that. we just acquired a NIB IMI Uzi

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I'd imagine anyone who'd seen the Beirut explosion would be thinking "Yeah, maybe that's just the first, small blast. I'll just turn around now. Quickly."

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

that fire was out before the video ended

just spray a hose on it to keep it from smouldering

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
A gøøse once bit my sister...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

dog nougat posted:

As a filthy American I have little to no first hand experience with Scottish accents. I used to wait tables in the French quarter in New Orleans and got a Scottish couple with a super strong accent. It was barely intelligible to me. I was able to eventually parse their words after a moment, but it was striking how alien and removed it is in a dialectical sense. Once I knew what to listen for I could mostly figure out or infer what they said. It's drat near a different language. It's super interesting.

Edit: content

Someone's expecting to take lots of shits over the years in that latrine

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ChesterJT posted:

Mute this before playing, it's obnoxious as poo poo. But seriously, is there any way for a home inspector to detect this kind of bullshit after the drywall is up or would you have to pray an inspector came to the site early enough to catch it?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7055736365870402862

From personal and professional experience, it really depends on where you are & the culture of town-city code enforcement. In my area (Gloucester County, NJ) and in Philadelphia, plumbing, electric & mechanical rough-in require inspection before the drywall goes up. L(icences)&I(nspections) in Philadelphia have gotten much, much better since the June 2013 Salvation Army collapse; before that it was a bribe-fest.

If that pipe absolutely has to run along that route it either has to be mounted in the wall surface, or enclosed in a boxed-out chase outside of the stud run.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I didn’t even notice the completely ‘notched’ studs, I was imagining both the water and sewage lines freezing on the first cold day.

Although the notching isn’t bad if you use e load-bearing drywall.

Am I really first with that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dog nougat posted:

As a filthy American I have little to no first hand experience with Scottish accents.

I'm an American. A friend of mine from Lancashire once called me in deep distress, and I could catch about one word in four. We managed, but I felt I wasn't being as much of a support as I wanted to be. (Her accent is normally strong, but not THAT strong.)

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I would guess, that if you ABSOLUTELY have to do that there are metal braces that would make the notched out studs structurally sound.

Maybe.

Just don't do that in the first place. While remodeling my house, there was a light switch in between a window and a door that led to a converted patio/sunroom. The goal was to reshape the door/window access into the sunroom, using the header of the window for a new passage and framing in the door so we could put fresh drywall on it. When we pulled the wallboard off we found out that the studs next to the door had been cored out in order to fit the light switch leaving something like a 1/4" worth of wood on either side of the two studs. Upon removing the door frame the studs started to flex apart as they no longer had the electrical box and door frame holding them together. Not by much, but we could see a 1/16" gap where there wasn't before. We quickly sandwiched the cored out studs in between two fresh studs that we snugged into place and restored support for that section of wall. Thankfully the header and footer were in perfectly fine shape so we pretty much just added some new studs to that section of the wall and left the old damaged studs in place because removing them wasn't really necessary and trying to remove them might have triggered other problems and they made for a good spot to help secure the new studs into place. In retrospect we probably over-reinforced that section but rather safe than sorry.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

The more I look the worse it gets. Looks like the studs were drilled then cut after when they couldn't fit the drain. No traps , no vents going to be a lot of stagnant water just sitting in that line.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Big fan of the random block of wood shoved under the pipe to support it

I wonder if that's secured with anything other than pipe weight

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

haveblue posted:

Big fan of the random block of wood shoved under the pipe to support it

I wonder if that's secured with anything other than pipe weight

What does your heart of hearts tell you?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Based on how much they notched those studs and then the added wood, guessing when they first ran it, the drain didn’t have positive drainage.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
poo poo harder.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Karate Bastard posted:

poo poo harder.

I can only eat so much pasta.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s outside the box thinking, given that I think that’s a sink drain. Not judging, mind you. poo poo in that sink. Live your best life.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, and if it doesn't go all the way down, use one of those air pressure drain cleaners to blast it free. Also, eat a lot more olive oil.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

Thats actually a really interesting human factors read if anyone wants to take the time.

Where?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sound
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r65lmhCpNV1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r64de6ji1F1qigfjt.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I did this for months with a fan before it finally died

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

That fan is gonna burn the house down when the motor overheats from being stalled while unattended.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jetz0r posted:

That fan is gonna burn the house down when the motor overheats from being stalled while unattended.

What are you talking about? The massive current draw from the stalled motor will melt the unbranded power strip it is plugged into long before the fan catches fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

NTSB report probably