Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ryan Shawcross is a good lad who never did anything wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
How long until a premier league footballer turns all their career earnings into John Terry ape tokens that immediately get nicked

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sticksy posted:

Jack Wheelchair is still without a club I believe so I’m sure he’s willing to glom onto any random money-spinning grift

He's training with Arsenal and helping to coach the academy and there's been a little talk that he may actually sign a short-term contract with the club. So keep an eye on that if you're a fan of hilarity.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Reminds of me of Ronaldinho getting into the Fidget Spinner business.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/26/fifa-gianni-infantino-biennial-world-cup-could-save-african-migrants-from-death-in-the-sea

Wow gently caress off

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Ahh that's some vintage FIFA nonsense

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The day after the tragedy of fans crushed to death at an AFCON game as well. Maybe people can find "death in the stadiums" instead.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Gianni Infantino shut the gently caress up challenge: impossible.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheArsenaIDNA/status/1416302983311208450
https://twitter.com/ArsenalN7/status/1483393255966490625

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Wrong thread OP. Juve paying Ramsey silly wages is actually very funny

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CyberPingu posted:

Wrong thread OP. Juve paying Ramsey silly wages is actually very funny

That's not why those are in this thread

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

pik_d posted:

That's not why those are in this thread

My point still stands

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CyberPingu posted:

My point still stands

We signed both of the players in those tweets, mate

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sandwolf posted:

But his point still stands!!!!!!

He's not owned!!!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

And you are still stuck with Ramsey's wages.

Yes im trying to post my way out of this and no it does not appear to be working

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

where’s the africa cup of nations thread

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jel Shaker posted:

I think the international thread is being used as a defacto AFCON thread for people who like that sort of thing

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jel Shaker posted:

You have the power to make threads, you lazy bum

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Caaaaanadaaaa! This is for those long suffering football die hards north of the 49th parallel: for the immigrants and sons of immigrants, for those that quietly wince at the sound of the word "soccer", for the true football lovers that watch MLS "fans" arrive to their seats 20 minutes into the first half and leave to buy nachos + beer in the 35th minute and to all those parents that drive kids to indoor bubbles for winter soccer! And especially for those bums who think a game is all about scoring and love their TV-made helmeted steroid heroes.

Herdman somehow has achieved unthinkable miracles: this is a TEAM above all, all for one and one for all, humble, hugely athletic, good forwards, Davies, incredible work rate and off-the-charts solidarity, building momentum game after game. No more long 50-50 balls, no more defensive collapses, no more years in the Concacaf wilderness. If you are playing Canada... bring your A game!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
More like Bring your Game, Eh

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

good grief

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When the football team I support, West Bromwich Albion, first got promoted to the Premier League 20 years ago, our first away game was at Arsenal and, within half an hour, we were three goals down. I was most fed up. At this point the unmistakable smell of cannabis wafted over us visiting supporters packed in the away end. The vibe was very much of the old TV adverts for Hamlet cigars, featuring people being calmed by smoking after experiencing various disappointments. I have barely touched drugs, but if I’d been offered a puff of something at that moment to take the edge off my pain, I might well have done so.

There is a school of thought that part of the reason football hooliganism fell out of fashion for a while was that stuff like cannabis and ecstasy became the fans’ drugs of choice. I’m told these substances are more about peace and love than hate-filled rampages. Alcohol, of course, is more about the latter than the former.

Here’s what happens when you go to away games these days. At least, here’s what happens if you follow West Brom, but I can’t imagine it’s very different with other clubs. Upon entering the stadium through the turnstiles into the visitors’ end, you find yourself on a concourse. A range of overpriced food and drink will be available, including rather weak lager. Always, but always, there will be a large group of younger fans, loosely arranged in a circle, chanting their heads off and making a terrific noise. The chants will either feature words venerating our club or more unpleasant words denigrating other clubs. This choir will tend to be very animated – leaping around, throwing around fair amounts of that overpriced, understrength beer.

This kind of thing happens at home games, too, but it’s more spread out. Away matches are more intense because the fans who travel are more dedicated and, arguably, more passionate. Also, kept together in one small part of the ground, and greatly outnumbered, just being there feels like an act of defiance.

It was in the away end at Leicester City that, with embarrassing naivety, I once wondered aloud to a copper what on earth this lot had been drinking. “Drink is less of a problem these days,” he sighed. “It’s more about drugs. For the price of a few cans of lager. they can get absolutely wired. And it’s harder to police on trains and to stop them bringing it in.” This was seven years ago. Judging by the scenes ahead of the Euro final last summer, things haven’t much improved.

I was outside the away end at Millwall on Saturday chatting to the handler of a sniffer dog, a beautiful wire-haired pointer. He told me he was trained to identify anyone carrying the scent of “pyros” – flares etc – and drugs. Upon catching a whiff of either of these things on anyone, he said, the dog would go up to the person in question, sit down and look up at him. Right on cue, his dog did what my dog does, less usefully, when he sees a squirrel – lurches away, all but tearing your arm off. He took up position: seated before a dismayed-looking West Brom fan. The handler approached the bloke and asked, in a low voice, if he was carrying any drugs. “Not today!” he blurted out. I advised the fellow to come up with a better defence than that if the matter got to court, which it won’t.

We lost the game 2-0, which caused some of our fans to stage a mini-riot, damaging a toilet, tearing up seats and letting off flares. So it appears the odd pyro slipped past our pointer. Perhaps some drugs had got through, too, or had already been taken outside the ground. Or perhaps the perpetrators were just idiots, and, as far as I know, dogs aren’t yet able to sniff out idiocy.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Genuinely can't tell if wrong thread or not.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If that's adrian chiles in the guardian he gets paid more than all their journalists for approx 500 words a week about seeing things and noticing things, not at all connected to the fact he's going out with the editor. Which is very funny so wrong thread possibly

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It is Adrian Chiles, I thought it fit this thread because it's a hugely overpaid clueless man getting loads of cash for a story that boils down to "wow amazing did u know sometimes football fans do drugs??"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

It is Adrian Chiles, I thought it fit this thread because it's a hugely overpaid clueless man getting loads of cash for a story that boils down to "wow amazing did u know sometimes football fans do drugs??"
all his columns are some nothing story from his life, real pub bore poo poo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jesus WEP posted:

all his columns are some nothing story from his life, real pub bore poo poo

Yeah this just reads like someone’s well educated dad making up a very boring story that is tangentially related to football.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

man, if only I could get paid for that

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane
Please please please please does someone have that picture of cris ronaldo when he's sulking with his elbows to his side when the entire real madrid team are backtracking

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Knoddus posted:

Please please please please does someone have that picture of cris ronaldo when he's sulking with his elbows to his side when the entire real madrid team are backtracking

Barcelona 5 -0 Real Madrid in that one

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lmao it's 20 mins in and he's given up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He's one of the two players closest to the ball too, could legitimately be doing something useful and just doesn't want to

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RangersFC/status/1490271344243658754?s=20&t=obkoGIbv4tSgKJZ34noDNw

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Such a loving weird club

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane

trem_two posted:

Barcelona 5 -0 Real Madrid in that one

Much thanks :)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AlexGoldberg_/status/1489977830163234819

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Weird take on the forbidden meme but okay

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Chas McGill posted:

Such a loving weird club

That reminds me of this clip of Steven Gerrard during his first day at Rangers.

https://twitter.com/TPHartley90/status/1459071712000196640

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

That reminds me of this clip of Steven Gerrard during his first day at Rangers.

https://twitter.com/TPHartley90/status/1459071712000196640

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRh8-UJLU4

very normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Zuoma got fined 250k and they took his cats
Which imo is about as hefty off a punishment as you could have asked for.